MD & DO {TEXAS} What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NumbFusion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive interviews. You could do a DIY post bacc at a local college. If you increase your GPA to 3.4 your chances will be higher. However, there is no guarantee that you will be accepted to a Texas school even with a higher GPA. OOS MD schools are unlikely with your GPA.

As a reapplicant, you're in a tough position. Normally, I would be inclined to say that you should not consider retaking a 513 MCAT. However, the 123 CARs hurts alot and might get you screened out since you are an ORM (white male) who presumably has English as your 1st language. If you were an applicant where English was not your primary language, then I would not hesitate to advise against retaking. That said, I am leaning towards advising you to retake and hopefully maintain your other section scores while getting at least a 125 CARs. If you believe you can do this, then retake for TX MD schools.

While studying for a 2nd MCAT, I would also advise you take some DIY courses in a PB to raise both your cGPA and sGPA (if you can do a majority of these courses in sciences, that will raise both GPAs. But you must get A's. Otherwise, take some sure fire A nonscience courses to raise that cGPA). NO SMP!!

Take the year to study for the 2nd MCAT and do the DIY courses to improve your chances of getting IIs from TX schools and national DOs.