[Texas] WAMC average stats, unique EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxApplicant16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker so I decided to post to see where I stand. I plan on applying to all TMDSAS schools (TX Resident) and all Michigan schools except UofM (I grew up in MI so I have ties there). I'm applying in a year during my senior year, and am taking a 5th year to finish undergrad.

B.S. Neuroscience major, minor in business. Non URM
-Your cumulative and science GPA: 3.56/3.55
-Your MCAT score (if available): Don't have yet, previous AAMC averages of ~29-30 but I decided to not rush it and plan on taking the new one this summer.

-Clinical volunteer activities: 80 hours doing vitals and pre-apt charts at Psych office. Starting at a hospital this summer and expecting ~200 hours there upon application.

-Physician shadowing (include specialties and total hours): Family doc 90 hours, Cardiothoracic surgeon 20 hours, EM doc 15 hours

-Research: ~500 hours of cancer research. No pubs. One poster presentation.

-Nonclinical volunteer activities: 250 hours split between two organizations feeding the homeless over two years. Approx. 250 hours very scattered (service done through fraternity)

Extracurriculars:
Officer in AMSA chapter for two years
Active member of a Christian service fraternity
3 years of IM basketball, football, and frisbee

-Employment: I'm hoping this is what sets me apart..
~1000 hours as a server/bartender. Full time during breaks and there were times when I had to literally drive two hours home to pick up two shifts on the weekend to take home the money during semesters. (I had a good gig at a fine dining restaurant in my hometown that allowed me to do this and I could average $30 an hour)
CEO/Founder of six figure non-profit organization benefiting cancer patients and research. Don't want to go into more detail for anonymity.

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply early enough, and assuming the equivalent percentile of a 30 on the MCAT, Texas schools look good minus UTMB, UTSW and Baylor. Having ties to Michigan helps too as they have schools with lower LizzyM scores. All in all, do well on the MCAT and I'd be willing to bet you'll get an acceptance somewhere.

CEO/Founder of six figure non-profit organization benefiting cancer patients and research. Don't want to go into more detail for anonymity.
This is pretty dang impressive, and when applying I would tie in a central theme of something cancer related due to your research. It helps make you look like a candidate who is extremely committed to setting their mind on a goal/topic and making it happen. However if your non-profit is that successful, and with your minor in business, be prepared to answer "Why medicine and not business."