Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) El Paso- Post Baccalaureate Certificate and M.S. in Biomedical Science 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pursuit_doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just wanted to create this thread because I noticed TTUHSC El Paso does not have one for their post-bacc program. You can post updates on interviews/acceptances/denials here! I felt like this would be a great way to communicate between us who have applied.

Admissions told me we should hear back this month for interviews! I know COVID-19 probably set them back a lot since previous years they have already sent out acceptances and interviews by this time. Don't stress we are all in this together! El Paso is my first choice for my post-bacc. I love their curriculum and staff. The automatic interview with both tech medical schools is such a great incentive as well (for the post back, idk about the M.S.)! Plus, El Paso is an amazing city! The only downside is that they accept about 7-10 people per cycle. But, I'm hoping for all of our success!! Good luck!!

P.S. when posting updates, make sure you mention if it is for the M.S. program or post-bacc, so people don't have to ask!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Did they say they were going to send interviews for both the masters and the certificate or just this program?

Did they say they were going to send interviews for both the masters and the certificate or just this program?
They said for both programs I believe! Tbh, Im going to make this thread for both programs. Let me change the title real quick haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for making this thread! I'm looking into applying for this program. I really can't find much info about it on their website though. could you link me @pursuit_doctor to any detailed info you have about the program?

There are two programs! One year post-bacc certificate and the two year Master's program! Both due MAy 15th I believe. Go to the "academic programs" and it should take you to how to apply :) lmk if u need anymore help.

thanks so much! do you know if they do rolling admissions for this? would I be shooting myself in the foot applying this late?

thanks so much! do you know if they do rolling admissions for this? would I be shooting myself in the foot applying this late?
Im not sure on how their admissions cycle works. The application was open since September and ends in like 4 weeks. No one has heard back from them (they ppl I've talked to). I emailed admissions and they said we would find out this month for interviews. Honestly, it's not bad to apply. None of us have heard back so I say go for it!! Maybe email admissions also and get some insight? They're really receptive and nice. I do think it's rolling admissions tho based on last year's cycle. By this time of the year people had already interviewed different weeks and have been accepted. But, since COVID19 came around, it seems to be a different story for us.

Im not sure on how their admissions cycle works. The application was open since September and ends in like 4 weeks. No one has heard back from them (they ppl I've talked to). I emailed admissions and they said we would find out this month for interviews. Honestly, it's not bad to apply. None of us have heard back so I say go for it!! Maybe email admissions also and get some insight? They're really receptive and nice. I do think it's rolling admissions tho based on last year's cycle. By this time of the year people had already interviewed different weeks and have been accepted. But, since COVID19 came around, it seems to be a different story for us.

ok thank you! Do you have any idea what my chances are of getting accepted? ORM, 507 MCAT, 3.68 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 4 waitlists this cycle. I'm clueless as to how competitive these post-bacc programs are.

ok thank you! Do you have any idea what my chances are of getting accepted? ORM, 507 MCAT, 3.68 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 4 waitlists this cycle. I'm clueless as to how competitive these post-bacc programs are.
honestly, stats aren't everything for post-baccs. You have great stats, idk about your research (they love research at this school) or ECs (they love primary care work and volunteering). I was also WL at two schools (including their medical school at El Paso). I've seen people with way lower stats who got in. I really think the essay is a HUGE part of the application. If you have average stats, that puts your foot in the door, but the essay + ECs + interview sets you in. So, you have a great chance, just sell yourself!

I emailed admissions last week and the person said that admissions into this program are highly competitive (last year they only accepted 9 students into the program) but I don't know how many people actually applied/interviewed. The same master's program at TTUHSC in Lubbock is also pretty competitive and they don't even offer the guaranteed medical school interview. I wouldn't get my hopes up for this one.

I emailed admissions last week and the person said that admissions into this program are highly competitive (last year they only accepted 9 students into the program) but I don't know how many people actually applied/interviewed. The same master's program at TTUHSC in Lubbock is also pretty competitive and they don't even offer the guaranteed medical school interview. I wouldn't get my hopes up for this one.
Did you happen to apply as well? Last year this person got into TT EP and did not into UTNHSC. I got into UNTHSC so Im hoping to get into this one. YOu never know until you try!

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know. I always like putting myself out there to see what happens! If I don't get in, it wont be the end of the world :)

Has anyone heard back from them about the post-bacc program?

@Rmed_25 that was for the post-bacc! For the master's I think they accept a little bit more. Did you apply to both?

fingers cross we hear back this week or next week

@Rmed_25 that was for the post-bacc! For the master's I think they accept a little bit more. Did you apply to both?
7 -10 people for post bacs, and about 20 for masters. Its a small class size, but it is better because you would be able to form a stronger bond with the professors who would be lecturing y'all.
That's competitive af:/ I just applied for the post-bacc!
I would definitely apply to both, better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Luke SKy what were your stats when you were accepted? Are you in the program right now? If so, could you give us your take on how you like it? Sorry for all the questions lol.

@Luke SKy what were your stats when you were accepted? Are you in the program right now? If so, could you give us your take on how you like it? Sorry for all the questions lol.

My stats? ;/ Now if imagine what a trash can looks like for a second... my stats are in there. lol! (Sub 3.0 cgpa & low 3.2xs cgpa. 504 MCAT score). I am currently in the program and would most likely see some of y'all next year as the new 1st years. But overall, It's a nice program, the faculty are super nice/approachable (seriously). I doubt any of the undergrad professors knew my name off the top of their heads like the ones here. Anyways, classes are from 9-12 pm and no class on Friday (yay!).
I can't speak on the incoming classmates, but for my classmates and the 2nd year's classmates, we are all helpful towards each other and no gunner mentality even though most of us are going the med school route.

Umm, MCAT wise; I would try to knock out the MCAT before beginning this program because trying to study for courses and MCAT can become problematic later on. But most of the courses you'd take here would extremely be helpful for the b/b and some c/p portion of the exam. There is no MCAT prep, but they do have prep books you can check out if you are unable to your hands on some.

But yeah, If you are interested in getting your feet wet in research, then this is the school for you! Once again, the professors are approachable and would be delighted to have you in their lab (trust me on this). I would try to hop into a lab your second semester tho. And I am saying this because you want to ensure you start on a strong foot first grade-wise before piling things onto your plate. Unless you are a post-bac student, then I would join one earlier than that.

Also, if you are interested, there is a lot of volunteer options that either come from our program or the med school itself unless COVID19 plans to stay longer.

City and apt wise?
If you like hiking and other outdoor activities, then this city is for you! I am not a hiker. But, this city is friendly which is good if you are coming from another city and have no family members/close friends here like me. Oh, I almost forgot, the authentic food options are to die for. Yum! Also, there is damn near a lot of bars/chill spots here if you ever need to take a break studying all day.

If/whenever y'all are accepted, I would try and look for apartments on the west side of town. That's why I was told before I came here, and I am glad I listened. The reason I say this is because of traffic: some of my classmates tend to leave 30 minutes earlier than normal to make it to class on time. And If you love to sleep as I do, then avoid the hassle now.

But yeah.. feel free to ask any questions, I know there is not much information on this site or others for this program. and I'll try and respond promptly (Its finals week for us).

Stay blessed!

Reactions: 3 users
My stats? ;/ Now if imagine what a trash can looks like for a second... my stats are in there. lol! (Sub 3.0 cgpa & low 3.2xs cgpa. 504 MCAT score). I am currently in the program and would most likely see some of y'all next year as the new 1st years. But overall, It's a nice program, the faculty are super nice/approachable (seriously). I doubt any of the undergrad professors knew my name off the top of their heads like the ones here. Anyways, classes are from 9-12 pm and no class on Friday (yay!).
I can't speak on the incoming classmates, but for my classmates and the 2nd year's classmates, we are all helpful towards each other and no gunner mentality even though most of us are going the med school route.

Umm, MCAT wise; I would try to knock out the MCAT before beginning this program because trying to study for courses and MCAT can become problematic later on. But most of the courses you'd take here would extremely be helpful for the b/b and some c/p portion of the exam. There is no MCAT prep, but they do have prep books you can check out if you are unable to your hands on some.

But yeah, If you are interested in getting your feet wet in research, then this is the school for you! Once again, the professors are approachable and would be delighted to have you in their lab (trust me on this). I would try to hop into a lab your second semester tho. And I am saying this because you want to ensure you start on a strong foot first grade-wise before piling things onto your plate. Unless you are a post-bac student, then I would join one earlier than that.

Also, if you are interested, there is a lot of volunteer options that either come from our program or the med school itself unless COVID19 plans to stay longer.

City and apt wise?
If you like hiking and other outdoor activities, then this city is for you! I am not a hiker. But, this city is friendly which is good if you are coming from another city and have no family members/close friends here like me. Oh, I almost forgot, the authentic food options are to die for. Yum! Also, there is damn near a lot of bars/chill spots here if you ever need to take a break studying all day.

If/whenever y'all are accepted, I would try and look for apartments on the west side of town. That's why I was told before I came here, and I am glad I listened. The reason I say this is because of traffic: some of my classmates tend to leave 30 minutes earlier than normal to make it to class on time. And If you love to sleep as I do, then avoid the hassle now.

But yeah.. feel free to ask any questions, I know there is not much information on this site or others for this program. and I'll try and respond promptly (Its finals week for us).

Stay blessed!

Thank you so much for your input!! It sounds like such an awesome program!!! It's making me so excited if I get accepted!! I love the small class size for exactly all those reasons you pointed out. Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond! I just have a few last questions: how does the automatic interview work? Do you just let them know that you'd want to have it this cycle or the next? Also, none of us have heard back from them. They haven't done interviews yet and by this time last year people were already interviewed and accepted. Do you think because of COVID19 that it is the reason why everything is pushed back? Thanks! :)

Thank you so much for your input!! It sounds like such an awesome program!!! It's making me so excited if I get accepted!! I love the small class size for exactly all those reasons you pointed out. Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond! I just have a few last questions: how does the automatic interview work? Do you just let them know that you'd want to have it this cycle or the next? Also, none of us have heard back from them. They haven't done interviews yet and by this time last year people were already interviewed and accepted. Do you think because of COVID19 that it is the reason why everything is pushed back? Thanks! :)

For the automatic interview, usually, the Dean will talk to the post bacs privately to get a scope of who is applying for that current cycle, etc. So If you applying that cycle, let him know and you'll go from there.

For the interview question, that's weird. By now y'all should have heard something back. I remember when I interview near the end of March and was accepted the following week. But, I'm sure it because of the COVID situation though.

Forgot to mention, This school has placed people in MD, DO, PA, and Dental programs.
So far;
UTMB
Lubbock (the majority here)
El Paso (the majority here)
TCOM
UIWSOM
Burrell & New Mexico
Tulane
Kansas (Both DO and MD)
This is what I know, of course, there is more on this list but sometimes people won't disclose where they end up or we lose contact. But most people got into Texas schools.

But yeah, no your good. Keep the questions coming, I'm here to help. : )

• Love
All I will say is that your stats around what the post-bacs stats were.

Hi I am applying for this cycle and am very nervous :) good luck to everyone! hopefully we all get to see each other fall 2020

Hi I am applying for this cycle and am very nervous :) good luck to everyone! hopefully we all get to see each other fall 2020
Goodluck! When did submit and for which program, the Post-Bac or Masters? If you dont mind me asking :)

I emailed admissions yesterday to see when we should hear back, so I will let yall know what they say!

Goodluck! When did submit and for which program, the Post-Bac or Masters? If you dont mind me asking :)
I submitted a month ago to the post bacc! I called today and the lady said that the staff is very understanding because of the situation and they only have one person going in to the office per week. She also mentioned we would be receiving emails sometime soon

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the Masters program here in El Paso. I agree with @Luke SKy as far as everything said before. I went to undergrad here at UTEP, not the best stats, but I've worked as a medic here for a few years now. I'm doing the Masters program to boost my resume, but I also have to say the research experience is great. As long as you have the time to devote in your first year, if not they don't get too bent out of shape. Second year it's mandatory. The girls in the office are great, and right now are working hard to finish our semester. They should be done soon and start to prep for your interviews. Our dean is great, and the small class size keeps us all close. Let me know if you have any questions about the region.. born and raised here so I'm happy to help.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I emailed admissions yesterday to see when we should hear back, so I will let yall know what they say!
Did they respond? It seems like so many programs keep telling us "soon" and then another week goes by just waiting :arghh:

Did they respond? It seems like so many programs keep telling us "soon" and then another week goes by just waiting :arghh:
Yes! sorry I forgot to post, but they said they would tell us "soon" and they are working hard to gather more details on when. :(

does the post-bacc program guarantee an interview at both tech schools? or just tech el paso?

Did you happen to apply as well? Last year this person got into TT EP and did not into UTNHSC. I got into UNTHSC so Im hoping to get into this one. YOu never know until you try!

Yeah I actually did, sorry for responding to you so late. I'm in the same boat though, I'm doing this just for kicks to see if anything could come out of it.

I just hope we at LEAST hear back by next week when the app deadline is. I would truly rather attend here than this other program I got into. Our classes start in the beginning of June. UGH. COVID-19 really messed up everything.

Quick Update: They moved the application deadline to June 5th. I dont know what that means for interviews, but... having faith for all of us!

Quick Update: They moved the application deadline to June 5th. I dont know what that means for interviews, but... having faith for all of us!
Do you know why they moved the deadline to that date? Are they not getting enough applications or are they just behind?

Sorry guys that it's taking longer to hear back from them, usually they are quick when it comes to these things. However, we just got done with finals about 2 weeks ago and they just wrapped up the 2020 Post bacs & Master student's graduation ceremony on Saturday. I'm sure you all are next on the list of priorities.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, I'm currently in the Masters program here in El Paso. I agree with @Luke SKy as far as everything said before. I went to undergrad here at UTEP, not the best stats, but I've worked as a medic here for a few years now. I'm doing the Masters program to boost my resume, but I also have to say the research experience is great. As long as you have the time to devote in your first year, if not they don't get too bent out of shape. Second year it's mandatory. The girls in the office are great, and right now are working hard to finish our semester. They should be done soon and start to prep for your interviews. Our dean is great, and the small class size keeps us all close. Let me know if you have any questions about the region.. born and raised here so I'm happy to help.

Hi, I just got invited for an interview for the masters program! I am super excited and grateful for the opportunity. Do you think you could share some insight on the interviewing style that Paul Foster has?? I am just a little more nervous than I should be because of the nature of the interview being held online. Do you plan on applying to med school after the masters?

Just got invited to interview for the post bacc program :) Following to see if anyone has any tips to share for the interview. Also, can any past students chime in and give some insight on the success of this program?

Just got invited to interview for the post bacc program :) Following to see if anyone has any tips to share for the interview. Also, can any past students chime in and give some insight on the success of this program?
Same as well :)

I just hope we at LEAST hear back by next week when the app deadline is. I would truly rather attend here than this other program I got into. Our classes start in the beginning of June. UGH. COVID-19 really messed up everything.
I'm assuming the other program you are talking about is the UNTHSC one? Can I ask why you are preferring this one? I'm in the same boat, trying to decide!

I'm assuming the other program you are talking about is the UNTHSC one? Can I ask why you are preferring this one? I'm in the same boat, trying to decide!
Mainly because this one is newer and has gained a good reputation. It is 7-10 students compared to 250 at UNTHSC. It would let me actually get to know my professors better. Also, this program has an automatic interview to PLFSOM, so thats a plus. Also, I love PLFSOM and would go there in a heartbeat over any school simply cause I want to go into rural medicine and this is the best place to do that imo.

Thanks for sharing! I didn't know as much about this program as I did UNTHSC when applying so I had been leaning towards UNT but I did get an interview here as well.

Thanks for sharing! I didn't know as much about this program as I did UNTHSC when applying so I had been leaning towards UNT but I did get an interview here as well.
I will say there are pros and cons to both. TTUHSC does not offer MCAT prep + workshops from advisors or a lot of the health classes you take as a MS1 compared to UNTHSC. UNTHSC's curriculum (in my opinion) demonstrates preparedness to take on medical school if you do well. TTUHSC has basic courses like biochem, genetics, cell bio, and a research seminar compared to like anatomy or histoloy or pharmacology you take at UNTHSC. I strongly feel like UNTHSC helps people with lower GPAs better than TTUHSC. I have a 3.8 GPA but low MCAT so I am playing that in as well. I am retaking my mcat in June, but like the main reason for me liking TTUHSC is the cause of its location and PLFSOM's mission. Also TTUHSC post-bacc does have the option for financial aid/loans since its a certificate, which sucks. UNTHSC does offer financial aid so there is that plus. Idk, I feel like if you are looking to prove your undergrad GPA is not reflective of you as a person, then go with UNTHSC and vice versa for low mcat.

I will say there are pros and cons to both. TTUHSC does not offer MCAT prep + workshops from advisors or a lot of the health classes you take as a MS1 compared to UNTHSC. UNTHSC's curriculum (in my opinion) demonstrates preparedness to take on medical school if you do well. TTUHSC has basic courses like biochem, genetics, cell bio, and a research seminar compared to like anatomy or histoloy or pharmacology you take at UNTHSC. I strongly feel like UNTHSC helps people with lower GPAs better than TTUHSC. I have a 3.8 GPA but low MCAT so I am playing that in as well. I am retaking my mcat in June, but like the main reason for me liking TTUHSC is the cause of its location and PLFSOM's mission. Also TTUHSC post-bacc does have the option for financial aid/loans since its a certificate, which sucks. UNTHSC does offer financial aid so there is that plus. Idk, I feel like if you are looking to prove your undergrad GPA is not reflective of you as a person, then go with UNTHSC and vice versa for low mcat.
You take like half the hours at TTUHSC compared to UNTHSC. So another thing to think about.