Texas Tech entering C/O 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MedicoTre said:
Hey Amy:

Yea I've never done the loan thing either but I chose THE as my lender. I was talking to some friends going to other schools in the fall and they said they went with them too. As for the other ?'s I don't know. :oops:

Hey!

So you've already gone through the process with T.H.E.? Man, you are on top of things. Were you satisfied with their service & loan program?

Amy

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Anyone know which books we actually need and do not need from our book list?? I was talking to one of my friends who goes to UT Houston and she told me that she bought all the books that were "required" her first year and she ended up not using a lot of them.

So if any of you first years are reading this, can you plz kindly shed some light?

Thanks

and if you guys dont have the book list...here it is

Stedman's Medical Dictionary, 27th ed.
ISBN: 0-683-40007-X
Publisher:Lippincott Williams and Wilkins

Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking 8th edition
Author: Bickley Lynn
ISBN 0-7871-5948-X

robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
Author: Vinay Kuman, Abul K. Abbas, Nelson Fausto
Publisher: Saunders
ISBN:0721601871

Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th edition
Author: Moore
Publisher: Wiliams and Wilkins
ISBN: 0-7817-3639-0

Essentials of Human Embryology
Author:Larsen
Publisher: Churchill-Livingstone
ISBN: 0-443-07514-X

Color Textbook of Histology 2nd edition
Author: gartner, Hiatt
Publisher: Harcourt Brace and Co
ISBN 0-7216-8806-3

Principles of Medical Biochemistry
Author: Meisenberg and Simmons
Publisher: Mosby Inc
ISBN: 0-815-14410-5

Cardiovascular Physiology 8th edition
Author: Robert M. Berne and matthew N. Levy
publisher Mosby Physiology Monograph Series
ISbN 0-323-01127-6

Respiratory Physiology, the Essentials 7th edition
Author: John B. WEst
ISBN: 0-7817-5152-7

Renal Physiology 3rd edtion
Author: Bruce M. Koeppen and Bruce A, Stanton
Publisher: Mosby Physiology Monograph Series
ISBN: 0-323-01242-6

Gastrointestinal Physiology, 6th ed
Author Leonard R. Johnson
Publisher: Mosby Physiology Monograph Series
ISBN: 0-323-01239-6

Endocrine Physiology 2nd edition
Author: Susan P. Porterfield
Publisher: mosby physiology monograph series
ISBN: 0-323-01128-4

Wheater's Functional Histology 4th edition
Author: Young and Hiese
PUblisher: Harcourt brace and Co
ISBN 0-443-05612-9

Biochemistry: Mosby's Rapid Review Series
Author J.W. Pelley and Goljan
Publisher: Mosby, 2003
ISBN: 0-323-00835-6

Grant's Dissector, 13th edition
Author Grant
Publisher: Williams and Wilkins
ISBN: 0-78175484-4

Members don't see this ad :)
This is where the Big Sibs can really be helpful! I just asked mine and he has almost all of them to borrow. But he definitely recommended getting one of the Atlas (Netters etc..) since our first major block is Anatomy...mmm 12 wks straight love it... ;)

Off the top of my head he also said we may be able to get Stedman's from one of the medical organizations once we join? Another small incentive to get active :thumbup:

Hey guys. So, I was searching on the web for good prices on our books (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, www.ecampus.com). Typing in those ISBN numbers repeatedly was a pain in my ass and it took me several hours to come up with some good "deals" on the books. I figured I'd post the price list I came up with in hopes that some of you will save some money on books!

I was really surprised that Amazon.com did not have the best prices (they actually had the WORST!) The lowest prices were for Barnes & Noble members (I am not one but I am now considering it). Basically it costs $25 for a membership, and you get the super-discounted prices. I definitely think it is worth the initial investment, as you can see how the prices are the lowest anywhere. Second-best were the ecampus.com prices. These were followed by the regular B&N prices, with Amazon.com coming in last place.

Some of the books have two prices listed from one source, and that's because some books come in paperback/hardback or packages (hardback, CD ROM, pocket version). If you all have any questions, let me know. I hope this helps!!!! :D

Attachments

• Fall_2005_Book_Price_List.doc
    51 KB · Views: 120
Dr.Isabella said:
Thanks... I haven't received my campus assignment yet (I think there was a problem with my address). I had to call them to find out which campus I was assigned to. Anyhow, I hope it comes in the mail soon b/c I want to see the list and know who will be my big sib.

Thanks for your reply MedicoTre ;)

I just received my campus assignemnent to El Paso. I bet there are a bunch of people that will end up in El Paso as well, look forward to meeting you. Just to introduce myself a little bit, I go to UT Austin right now, Finance major and I was at the Spring Training if you saw me. I think I met a bunch of you guys. Anyways, good luck to everyone stuck with taking finals!! :)

Chiuster82 said:
I just received my campus assignemnent to El Paso. I bet there are a bunch of people that will end up in El Paso as well, look forward to meeting you. Just to introduce myself a little bit, I go to UT Austin right now, Finance major and I was at the Spring Training if you saw me. I think I met a bunch of you guys. Anyways, good luck to everyone stuck with taking finals!! :)

cool! Good luck with your finals as well, and have fun the rest of the summer. ;)

CharlieVN said:
This is where the Big Sibs can really be helpful! I just asked mine and he has almost all of them to borrow. But he definitely recommended getting one of the Atlas (Netters etc..) since our first major block is Anatomy...mmm 12 wks straight love it... ;)

Off the top of my head he also said we may be able to get Stedman's from one of the medical organizations once we join? Another small incentive to get active :thumbup:

AMSA will give you a Netter for signing up too. I didn’t join any clubs, but a lot of people got their netter this way. As for the rest of the books...... DON'T DO IT!!! Not yet at least. Of the 'required' texts, I used Netter, Haines Neuro Atlas, and Wheater's Histo Altas. If I had been worth a damn in lab, I could have probably gone with out one or two of those. My required texts were checker board anatomy, University of MI web Q's (really good for understanding... I loved these), NMS Physiology (seriously, the only book you need. I'll kick you asses if you buy those six worthless req'ed books), and High Yield Nuero. If there is every anything in the req'ed texts, go to the library, borrow or Google.

I'm gonna let you guys in on a little secret.... ;) The students who did well AND had lives did not do assigned reading. They kept up with scribes, made sure to UNDERSTAND the basics (you really can't just memorized this amount of info but must be able to make sense of it and handle new info/scenarios) and basically knew what the prof's emphasized. They will tell you the req'ed reading will be on the test. It hasn't been (unless they covered it). You will be beaten senseless with "Moore blue boxes" and even upperclassmen will tell you to read these. The honest truth is, they will tell you the clinicals you should know in class/lab then pic one or two from Moore for the gunners. I basically chased around Blue boxes for the first block and got an 89 while getting lots of stuff they actually covered wrong. Quit the blue boxes and ended up with a 94+ avg. Unless you live to study and want 100's on every test, just know what they teach you..... that's usually good for 95+. The temptation to buy books is huge, especially when they profs and your fellow students will be freaking you out, making you think you can't do it (don't listen..... I'll handle this side of M1 in another post..... It's very serious though).

OK, I'm off my soapbox. You've been warned. Good luck and don't get too stressed. Everyone who wants to make it and has a good attitude does.

thackl said:
AMSA will give you a Netter for signing up too. I didn’t join any clubs, but a lot of people got their netter this way. As for the rest of the books...... DON'T DO IT!!! ... I'll kick you asses if you buy those six worthless req'ed books), and High Yield Nuero. If there is every anything in the req'ed texts, go to the library, borrow or Google.

I'm gonna let you guys in on a little secret.... ;) The students who did well AND had lives did not do assigned reading. They kept up with scribes, made sure to UNDERSTAND the basics (you really can't just memorized this amount of info but must be able to make sense of it and handle new info/scenarios) and basically knew what the prof's emphasized. They will tell you the req'ed reading will be on the test. It hasn't been (unless they covered it)...

thanks for the advice. i thought ppl recommended we skip lectures to have more time to self-teach from books b/c the lectures were too superficial. it sounds like your plan was to ATTEND lectures and skip out on the books.

i feel like i'll be out of the loop if i forgo buying all books! how'd you do so well by relying on lecture material? :confused:

amy2003uva said:
thanks for the advice. i thought ppl recommended we skip lectures to have more time to self-teach from books b/c the lectures were too superficial. it sounds like your plan was to ATTEND lectures and skip out on the books.

i feel like i'll be out of the loop if i forgo buying all books! how'd you do so well by relying on lecture material? :confused:

Actually, first semester you are basically forced to attend class or get notes from somebody since anatomy is the only thing scribed. I think you guys should change this (especially for biochem). You will buy notes, but they are hardly complete. But again, if you know what they teach you and use review type books only as a reference, you will be fine. I personally got a lot out of attending class, but it's time consuming. A lot of people come in to sleep, socialize, surf the web, etc and should just not come at all. I actually paid attention.

I also tried 100% home schooling for the last 2 months and the free time was amazing. Went to the coffee shop at 8am to read scribes, goofed off til 9, studied til noon or 1, then done for the day. When going to class, I could cut the out-of-classwork down, but then you have to throw on the in class time. Grades went down a little last block, but still well above the avg, and I think it had more to do with my attitude than the home-schooling.

As for books. There's a whole lot of low-yield, but often interesting (and sometimes stressful) info. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing for liesure reading, then it's a waste of time. Very little will be remembered. If you want to remeber stuff, do practice questions. Forgoing req'ed reading will lower stress, decrease time studying and you won't be missing much. Books are for reference when you don't understand something and any review type book will do. Hell, I started just googling stuff last semester. The temptation to buy them is huge though. I had a little bit a 'freak-out' b/f first blocks, went out, bought some books, then stressed some more since there was WAAAAY too much info in those books to actually learn.

You mentioned what others had told you. Some of this you will have to figure out for yourself. Don't be afreid to tweak and try new things. But DON'T freak out and make a wholesale change one wk before tests. DON'T pull all-nighters. A clear head is worth much more than a few more details. Make sure you know all you want to know days b/f the test and just cram in details from there. OK, It's late and I'm rambling..... got to get the kiddo's to school in the morning. I'll be happy to answer questions. I'm not #1 (but up there) and my way isn't for everyone, but I wanted to spend time with family, work out, play b-ball, party a bit and what ever else seemed fun. You get the point and first yr grades don't mean **** anyway. They really don't. Certianly not worth stressing about.

CharlieVN said:

If you join TMA/AMA, you will receive the Steadman's Medical Dictionary as part of your 4 year membership.

Some of the books are unnecessary and you won't even touch them. I bought all the books first semester and some were a waste. The biochem book was useless and so is Grant's Dissector. The best thing for me was using Hi Yield and BRS books for the courses. Of the physiology books, the only ones I bought and liked were the Respiratory and Cardiovascular books. I went to class most of the time and chose which classes I went to. Some classes are really good to go to and some just suck. So, a mix of teaching myself and going to class was best for me. Hope this helps. :)

thackl said:
Actually, first semester you are basically forced to attend class or get notes from somebody since anatomy is the only thing scribed. I think you guys should change this (especially for biochem). You will buy notes, but they are hardly complete. But again, if you know what they teach you and use review type books only as a reference, you will be fine. I personally got a lot out of attending class, but it's time consuming. A lot of people come in to sleep, socialize, surf the web, etc and should just not come at all. I actually paid attention.

I also tried 100% home schooling for the last 2 months and the free time was amazing. Went to the coffee shop at 8am to read scribes, goofed off til 9, studied til noon or 1, then done for the day. When going to class, I could cut the out-of-classwork down, but then you have to throw on the in class time. Grades went down a little last block, but still well above the avg, and I think it had more to do with my attitude than the home-schooling.

As for books. There's a whole lot of low-yield, but often interesting (and sometimes stressful) info. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing for liesure reading, then it's a waste of time. Very little will be remembered. If you want to remeber stuff, do practice questions. Forgoing req'ed reading will lower stress, decrease time studying and you won't be missing much. Books are for reference when you don't understand something and any review type book will do. Hell, I started just googling stuff last semester. The temptation to buy them is huge though. I had a little bit a 'freak-out' b/f first blocks, went out, bought some books, then stressed some more since there was WAAAAY too much info in those books to actually learn.

You mentioned what others had told you. Some of this you will have to figure out for yourself. Don't be afreid to tweak and try new things. But DON'T freak out and make a wholesale change one wk before tests. DON'T pull all-nighters. A clear head is worth much more than a few more details. Make sure you know all you want to know days b/f the test and just cram in details from there. OK, It's late and I'm rambling..... got to get the kiddo's to school in the morning. I'll be happy to answer questions. I'm not #1 (but up there) and my way isn't for everyone, but I wanted to spend time with family, work out, play b-ball, party a bit and what ever else seemed fun. You get the point and first yr grades don't mean **** anyway. They really don't. Certianly not worth stressing about.

ya...sounds good. Also wat book did you use for BIOCHEM, i've heard Lippincotts is pretty good but am not sure if thats wat i should get.

Members don't see this ad :)
priya25 said:
Of the physiology books, the only ones I bought and liked were the Respiratory and Cardiovascular books. I went to class most of the time and chose which classes I went to. Some classes are really good to go to and some just suck.
I saw those books and they still weren't as good as NMS. Most of the good pics from those books were referenced in NMS with better explainations. As for going to class, Priya's right. Some really suck, but if you want to be a class go'er (like I was at first) and the lecture/lecturer sucks, then read. This is pretty much the only times I really read (during class).

TX_Longhorn said:
ya...sounds good. Also wat book did you use for BIOCHEM, i've heard Lippincotts is pretty good but am not sure if thats wat i should get.
I didn't use a biochem book. Just like histo, they teach you what they want you to know. However, the students with Lippincotts really liked it.

thackl said:

thackl - thanks for the info. hopefully lectures will be high-yield for us this fall so we can use our books mostly for referencing. like you said, we're just going to have to figure out what's best for us. it sounds like your strategy has been very effective! maximizing high-yield studying, minimizing low-yield reading... that's the plan. if i end up buying all the books, i'll still keep your tips in mind. i fully intend to maintain active home and social lives while in school, and it sounds like you've been able to do just that. :)

thackl said:
I didn't use a biochem book. Just like histo, they teach you what they want you to know. However, the students with Lippincotts really liked it.

thats awesome. just one more question. what about the NMBEs, are the course notes enough for biochem or histo (not sure of there is an nmbe for this course) to do well in those exams ?

thanks

I'm a HUC at UMC so maybe I'll see some of you around!

amy2003uva said:
hey 2tall - have you decided on tech? :D
I'm still on a couple o' waitlists. I will give up my spot at tech whenever I hear word back from either of those schools. I loved tech...I just want to be closer to home during the next four years.

I hope you all don't mind me squatting here occasionally.

amy, I'll definitely enjoy getting a glimpse of tech through your journals. You're my FAVORITE diarist!!! :D

amy2003uva said:
yikes! i hope they don't give you s**t for a late deposit. how was your trip?

I called them and left a message today. I just got a second copy of the packet and stuff Saturday so I don't think they'll mind. I called them last week and they said it'd be fine.

As for my trip, the pictures speak for themselves. Trip of a lifetime. I've never had such a wonderful time.

I'm a Health Unit Coordinator at University Medical Center which is the teaching hospital adjacent to Tech SOM and I'm a premed so IU'll probably see you all around though I won't know you.

TX_Longhorn said:
thats awesome. just one more question. what about the NMBEs, are the course notes enough for biochem or histo (not sure of there is an nmbe for this course) to do well in those exams ?

thanks
I pretty much toss the class notes after every test. They just aren't easy to use or pull info from after that. I would use a review text (CheckerBoard, First Aid, Pretest, etc). You will start getting advice on this closer to the end of the semester and pay attention to what upperclassmen have to say. For instance, Pretest was pure gold for the Biochem final, but worthless for Histo and Neuro. CB is great for anatomy, but not Biochem. You see where I'm going ;) I've heard that your class may not be taking them anyway. We hate NBME's, but they are great practice for the USMLE and if you are good at standardized test, they will bring your grade up.

I also want to add a disclaimer to the 'you don't need to cover the clinicals in the req'ed reading' statement. Dr. Hudson (histo/cell bio) will totally hold you responsible for those. However, summations of all the clinicals (both anatomy and histo) will be on your "Scribe CD" that you all should purchase for like $5 this fall.

I just got off the waitlist for Tech on 5/18...into the MD/MBA program, which basically means no free summers for the rest of my life ;)

Just wanted to introduce myself: Graduated from UT-Austin in Aug 2004, working in consulting for the last couple of months...

I was wondering if anyone has already found an apt that's within walking-distance of campus, furnished hopefully, etc etc..I basically have a week to move all my stuff and find an apt, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :) I really have no idea of how Tech is laid out, etc, because when I was interviewing there, it was kind of covered in snow and everything was closed.

Any other MD/mba folk here?

First off, Congratulations!

Secondly I sent you a Private Message. I have an extra room at the place I'm staying at. I'll talk to the folks I'm renting from to see if it's ok that you move in. It's just for summer and whatnot but a great deal as well as close to campus. It gives me a chance to find a place over the summer as I didn't have mcuh time to find a place to live either.

I'm from UT (May '04 grad) as well so I'm sure we'll both be in culture shock once we hit "town" :D ...

Glad to add another MD/MBA to the ranks. There's very few of us so I'm sure we'll all get to know one another very well over the summer.

Cheers!

loca Dr. chica said:
I just got off the waitlist for Tech on 5/18...into the MD/MBA program, which basically means no free summers for the rest of my life ;)

Just wanted to introduce myself: Graduated from UT-Austin in Aug 2004, working in consulting for the last couple of months...

I was wondering if anyone has already found an apt that's within walking-distance of campus, furnished hopefully, etc etc..I basically have a week to move all my stuff and find an apt, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :) I really have no idea of how Tech is laid out, etc, because when I was interviewing there, it was kind of covered in snow and everything was closed.

hey guys -

hope all is well with ya'll. congrats to those who are graduating!

quick question - have you all already met with your lender and filled out forms/taken out student loans? i know there is a financial aid session during orientation in august, but i was thinking that tuition is probably due for payment sometime this summer (so it seems wise to get the $$ thing taken care of sooner rather than later). i really should meet up with the people in the fin aid office, but i thought i'd ask ya'll first (esp. to current students who have already been through the process!)

anyway, enjoy your summer. it's been 100+ degrees in lubbock all week!

thanks,
amy :)

loca Dr. chica said:

The Heritage is possible walking distance. The Intern (very, VERY small apartments) is possible walking distance. Lubbock is so small, you can live virtually anywhere and be 5-10 minutes from school. So go for the apartment you like and not necessarily the apartment that is closest.

thackl said:
I pretty much toss the class notes after every test. They just aren't easy to use or pull info from after that. I would use a review text (CheckerBoard, First Aid, Pretest, etc). You will start getting advice on this closer to the end of the semester and pay attention to what upperclassmen have to say. For instance, Pretest was pure gold for the Biochem final, but worthless for Histo and Neuro. CB is great for anatomy, but not Biochem. You see where I'm going ;) I've heard that your class may not be taking them anyway. We hate NBME's, but they are great practice for the USMLE and if you are good at standardized test, they will bring your grade up.

I also want to add a disclaimer to the 'you don't need to cover the clinicals in the req'ed reading' statement. Dr. Hudson (histo/cell bio) will totally hold you responsible for those. However, summations of all the clinicals (both anatomy and histo) will be on your "Scribe CD" that you all should purchase for like $5 this fall.

Yes, memorize Dr. Hutson's notes. You'll be golden for Histo.

All of the hitherto above, I concur.

What are all you first years doing with your summer vacation? I'm interested to know if any of you are going abroad trying to justify a cool huge summer somewhere foriegn with an easy and short research/intern/whatever job. Also, how easy is it to set that kind of stuff up through TT or other institutes?

civic4982 said:
hey, I'm driving from Dalals to go to Lubbock tomorrow... see you MD/MBA guys there soon.

good luck! welcome to lubbock. :) :thumbup:

civic4982 said:
I knew I should've left on Tuesday... woke up this morning to the gentle clanking of hail on my new car :(
Not so gentle. Make a claim and find a good paintless dent repair specialist.

civic4982 said:
I knew I should've left on Tuesday... woke up this morning to the gentle clanking of hail on my new car :(

...i just found out that my car has hail damage, too. calling the insurance company... :cool:

What's everyone doing this summer? I hate my classes everyday and plan my approach to the dean to quit when I'm having my coffee every morning...

Let me live vicariously through your summer adventures :D

civic4982 said:
What's everyone doing this summer? I hate my classes everyday and plan my approach to the dean to quit when I'm having my coffee every morning...

Drop the MBA if ou don't like it. I rember 2 (now 4th yrs) telling students to apply for the MBA program if they were worried about acceptances (apparently Tech had trouble filling the program and MD/MBA applicants got bumped), then drop once they were accepted to the SOM. They claimed to have done it......

Then again, an MD/MBA would be cool :cool:

civic4982 said:

Yup. So, for me, I just got back from a two week (not quite) road trip around the country to Acadia National Park, Shenandoah NP, Smoky NP, Mammoth Cave and some random areas. That was quite a nice break with my SO after graduation. Not quite as exotic as Europe, but there are many places in this country that are incredible too, apparently. Let's just say that I've now crossed off a few more NP's on my list :). And, hopefully a few more after moving to Lubbock....Guantaloupe MT's...and Big Bend at some point.

Rest of summer for me is just gonna be chillin' in Wisconsin, and then coming back home to TX to do unpacking and packing for Tech...like 25+ boxes of stuff that got shipping down south a few weeks ago. :eek:

Okay. Cya all in 2 months. Enjoy your summers.

HJT

hjt said:
...And, hopefully a few more after moving to Lubbock....Guantaloupe MT's...and Big Bend at some point.

HJT

big bend = incredible. we went on a week-long motorcycle tour of texas that took us from lubbock through austin, san antonio, del rio, and big bend... all the way down to the mexican border at the rio grande. big bend is one of the least-visited NP's, but i can only imagine that this is because of its remote location. the chisos mountains are beautiful and the wildlife is abundant. we only saw one rattlesnake but it was incredible.

i do have to say that the resort we stayed at, lajitas, really made the trip to big bend enjoyable. it is touted as "the ultimate hideout", and this is no understatement. we had to trek 17mi of unpaved dirt road on our harley's to find the place, but once we found the resort it was well worth it. lajitas is a five-star "wild west" themed golf resort. check it out at www.lajitas.com.

anyway, sounds like you had a great trip! enjoy WI this summer.

-amy

civic4982 said:
sounds like a fun trip! I've never been to any national parks...

Hey Vin, a quick question. So do the "adventures of gummy bears" in your photo album sum up the highlights of your trip? :laugh:

Later