Texas schools and reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenbelle02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that some Texas schools do not like reapplicants. If so, which Texas schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually heard the contrary - that they encourage people to reapply:cool: I wish I could tell you the source, but it makes sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that some Texas schools do not like reapplicants. If so, which Texas schools?
When I researched going to Texas to gain residency and reapply, I talked to the deans of several medical schools. One or two told me (I don't remember which) that they look down on reapps. Check it out yourself (that's the best policy anyways,) by spending an hour calling up schools.

I'm a first time reapplicant and I've been interviewed at 5 Texas schools so far. The two where I have not interviewed are A&M and UT Southwestern at Dallas. This to me points to the fact that at least 5 out of the 7 or 8 (if you include Baylor) med schools do not look down on reapplicants. As long as you have a stellar application you shouldn't worry. I think they are more willing to give a reapplicant the chance to prove them wrong the second time around.

I'm a first time reapplicant and I've been interviewed at 5 Texas schools so far. The two where I have not interviewed are A&M and UT Southwestern at Dallas. This to me points to the fact that at least 5 out of the 7 or 8 (if you include Baylor) med schools do not look down on reapplicants. As long as you have a stellar application you shouldn't worry. I think they are more willing to give a reapplicant the chance to prove them wrong the second time around.

May I ask what improvements you made in your application from last year to this year? Did your MCAT improve?

Re-applicant here. First time around, got no interviews from any schools. I turned everything in sometime late in July or something. 2nd time around, I have interviewed at 3 schools (TCOM, TAMU, UTSA). So far I've been accepted to TCOM. For my reapp, I started working part time as a Clinical Assistant at a hospital (in addition to my regular full-time job), re-did my personal statement, and turned in my app sooner (I submitted it in mid-June). Somehow that worked.

Anybody out there get a 30+ composite and did not get in their 1st time around. Wondering if it is possible to get a 30 and not get in a single state school as a Texas resident? :cool:

Anybody out there get a 30+ composite and did not get in their 1st time around. Wondering if it is possible to get a 30 and not get in a single state school as a Texas resident? :cool:

I took the MCAT for the first time this April and received a 32R. I did not get one interview offer. I was expecting my low GPAs (3.25 for both science and overall) to be at least somewhat offset by MCAT score especially considering I had a 3.95 my last 50 semester hours and my bad grades were from 10 years ago. No such luck. A woman I spoke to at UTMB (Erica Chapa) told me as a reapplicant I should shoot for a 35 on the MCAT. I guess I will retake it in April and try to get that magical 35.

I took the MCAT for the first time this April and received a 32R. I did not get one interview offer. I was expecting my low GPAs (3.25 for both science and overall) to be at least somewhat offset by MCAT score especially considering I had a 3.95 my last 50 semester hours and my bad grades were from 10 years ago. No such luck. A woman I spoke to at UTMB (Erica Chapa) told me as a reapplicant I should shoot for a 35 on the MCAT. I guess I will retake it in April and try to get that magical 35.

3.28 Cumulative. >3.9 last 45 hours. 39R MCAT. Only one interview, at A&M, for two cycles.

first time re-app here. last year i had a single interview at ut-h this year i had 3 interviews and 3 acceptances a&m/tcom/utmb... funny part is, i didn't get a houston interview. so take from that what you will. btw

A woman I spoke to at UTMB (Erica Chapa) told me as a reapplicant I should shoot for a 35 on the MCAT. I guess I will retake it in April and try to get that magical 35.

I don't know about that. I am a reapplicant (3rd) time? I think your MCAT is awesome. I wouldn't retake a 32 MCAT score. With such a score you are more prone to lowering your score than increasing it. You should rather speak to the Dean of admissions at UTMB (Dr. Thomas is very helpful) or the other schools and they will go over your file and let you know exactly what needs to be done. Maybe take some postbac or graduate courses to help that GPA (esp your science GPA). Or even do some volunteer or paid work in a hospital. Also sometimes the LORs and personal statements play a mjor role. Again, with a 32R MCAT score, I wouldn't retake. Take it from someone who has taken the MCAT several times and reapplied. The problem isn't with the MCAT score IMHO. But, if you are not able to take postbacc courses or volunteer, then you can take major time out and ace that MCAT!!! I wish you all the best.

Oh and Texas schools like reapplicants. It shows persistence and persevearance; two characteristics important in medicine.

3.28 Cumulative. >3.9 last 45 hours. 39R MCAT. Only one interview, at A&M, for two cycles.

That's a sick MCAT...as a TX resident, you should've gotten more invites. Can you list anymore details that might've dragged you down?

That's a sick MCAT...as a TX resident, you should've gotten more invites. Can you list anymore details that might've dragged you down?

He applied crazy late last year, like October 15th late! Ya that fool should have gotten in last year, hope he does this year!!

This is a question I have thought about a long time. There are no clear answers imo, but I have a couple of theories. As Kuang said, I did apply too late the first time around. In addition I am extremely bad at self promotion. I am one of those people who are more focused on personal faults than personal strengths. An example would be on the TMDSAS form they have a field where you are suppose to list why you are such a great leader. I have always thought this was a very funny question, because I feel that there are very few opportunities for one to truly "lead". I also hate answering such subjective, ambiguously defined, personally directed questions. For that particular field I put in "I am not a leader. Not everyone can be leaders, surely there is also a need for followers." Of course the second time around I got rid of that statement. But I have a suspicion that my reluctance at self promotion, coupled with a low GPA is what killed my application.

Hi all,

I am a canadian who wants to apply to texas. I understand that it's heavy state supported. I am wondering if anyone knows if schools in Texas accept Canadian students.

I wrote the MCAT in August and seriously bombed the verbal score.
BIO 14
PHYS 13
VR 5
WS 0
(which basically elimnated me from many canadian, maybe all, cause they have rigid cutoffs for teh MCAT)

my GPA is fairly decent (I guess within the ball park). Cum GPA 3.9 and Sci 3.87 (I majored in Math and Chemistry)

Thanks for your help
:)

Hi all,

I am a canadian who wants to apply to texas. I understand that it's heavy state supported. I am wondering if anyone knows if schools in Texas accept Canadian students.

I wrote the MCAT in August and seriously bombed the verbal score.
BIO 14
PHYS 13
VR 5
WS 0
(which basically elimnated me from many canadian, maybe all, cause they have rigid cutoffs for teh MCAT)

my GPA is fairly decent (I guess within the ball park). Cum GPA 3.9 and Sci 3.87 (I majored in Math and Chemistry)

Thanks for your help
:)
Have you checked the TMDSAS website for any information? I honestly don't know, but it's an interesting question.

My philosophy is, though, that the only way you have NO chance is if you don't try. Your GPA and MCAT are good though.

My only other suggestion is pick & choose carefully, because airfare between Canada and Texas will probably add up quick.