***Texas resident 3.6 GPA ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foondang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
have not taken MCAT

nor Biology or Organic pre-Reqs

I been told I need a 30 or higher on MCAT

Would like to know what you guys think?

Also does it matter where I take the classes above?

Members don't see this ad.

3.6 is competitive. A lot of people slide with high 20's on the MCAT in Texas. I did a lot of prereqs at community colleges due to military service, it has never come up during an interview (probably because I was serving while taking classes). It is more important that you do well in the courses than where you take them.

A good score on the MCAT will prove that the classes you took were of sufficient rigor. Taking them at a four-year school is preferred, but those with no choice in the matter (expense, distance, evening-class availability) can still do well and get into med school. It's my impression from past posts that there are Texas schools that don't discriminate against CC credits (from students who called to ask).

I concur. CC classes will be okay most likely...I would email to have it in writing!

29 MCAT probably would be low point...but I would try to get higher of course.

More importantly, dont forget about ECs. Clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing, etc...

I like to call it the the third member of the triad.....MCAT, GPA, ECs