Texas plans to cut funding to all TX medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an old article I found in the Chronicle from a little less than a year ago. The gist is that all TX medical schools are going to have their funding cut, including Baylor (which gets funding from the state).

AUSTIN - An estimated 5,000 students would be denied college scholarships promised to them by the state because of cuts designed to ease a projected $10 billion budget shortfall, lawmakers were told Monday.

Texas Higher Education Commissioner Don Brown told members of the House Appropriations Committee that budget cuts would mean the Texas Grant scholarship program would not be able to provide aid to all of the estimated 80,000 students who will be eligible in 2004-05.

Texas is facing the shortfall because of declining sales tax revenue and rising expenses. State agencies were asked to cut their budget requests by 12.5 percent so lawmakers could balance the next state spending plan without new taxes.

Public medical schools also would see "catastrophic cuts," with the Baylor College of Medicine being the hardest hit, Brown said.

The college would lose more than 80 percent of its state funding .

"How do we hold faith with the students of the state of Texas . . . and also meet really important priorities like the Baylor College of Medicine?" Brown said.

"They're really hard dilemmas."

Although Baylor is a private institution, it receives $39 million a year in state funding in exchange for reserving some admissions slots for Texas students, said college spokesman Ron Gilmore. He said even though the school's annual budget approaches $900 million, much of the money is tied up in research grants. He said any significant cuts in state funding could be a serious blow to the educational programs.

Still, Ralph D. Feigin, president of the Baylor College of Medicine, said it is too soon to panic.

"We appreciate the strong support for Baylor College of Medicine that Commissioner Brown expressed in his testimony this morning before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Education," Feigin said in a written statement. "It is still very early in the legislative session and at this time there is not a final figure for how much revenue the Legislature will have available to spend. Commissioner Brown recommended in his testimony that Baylor be treated the same as other medical schools in Texas."

High school graduates who passed a college preparatory curriculum are eligible for the Toward Excellence, Access & Success grants if they attend a Texas institution.

Led by Sen. Rodney Ellis, the Legislature created the program in 1999 to cover full tuition and fees at public schools and defray costs at private universities.

Brown said it would take $462.8 million, up from the current $300 million, to meet the projected demand for the grants in the next two years. Under proposed cuts, the board would get $194.8 million.

Ellis, D-Houston, said he feared the cuts would mean as many as 20,000 students would be denied college aid. He called the proposal "a full frontal assault on higher education."

"With reductions this drastic, we are breaking a promise to students who already are in college and who depend on this money just to stay in school," Ellis said.

Brown emphasized that he would rather not slash any of the programs but was required by the governor and lawmakers to identify potential cuts.

Rep. Fred Brown, R-Bryan, was among the committee members who worried the Higher Education Coordinating Board did not trim enough administrative costs.

The board identified more than $2 million in administrative cuts, including the reduction of full-time positions. Anything more than that could hurt financial aid and other services, the commissioner said.

Rep. Jose Menendez, D-San Antonio, said less money to medical schools would hurt students and health care provided to Texans, particularly the poor.

"There are real people- children and elderly - who are going to get a benefit from those dollars," he said.

The committee also heard from two-year college officials who said the required $197 million in budget slashing will mean fewer classes, layoffs and an inability to educate a growing number of students.

Community colleges likely will be forced to raise tuition and local property taxes to make up for a loss of already low state funding , he said.

Besides the 12.5 percent cut, community colleges may have to start paying a greater portion of employee health insurance now funded by the state.

The $175 million idea is among Gov. Rick Perry's budget-cutting suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard about these cuts about six months ago from one of my coworkers. I don't know if the cut in funding will adversely affect the quality of education at Baylor, but it will impact financial aid packages. If you research the website you'll notice that the automatic scholarship for nonresidents has been discontinued for the entering class of 2004 (every nonresident used to get a $6000 scholarship each year). Now nonresidents have to pay the full 20 grand each year in tuition; even so, Baylor is a great value.

Originally posted by elias514
I heard about these cuts about six months ago from one of my coworkers. I don't know if the cut in funding will adversely affect the quality of education at Baylor, but it will impact financial aid packages. If you research the website you'll notice that the automatic scholarship for nonresidents has been discontinued for the entering class of 2004 (every nonresident used to get a $6000 scholarship each year). Now nonresidents have to pay the full 20 grand each year in tuition; even so, Baylor is a great value.

Yeah, I noticed that change too, only a week ago or so.

Also they have emphasized that the tuition values listed are for the 2003-2004 class only (same time the non-resident scholarship was removed). Makes you wonder if changes are in the works and they dont want to portray the current tuition ($6550) as what future classes will pay.

Also, I believe the previous scholarship was slightly above $4000, not $6000. I wonder what they are going to do to overall tuition and in-state tuition. Their site says that they can change tuition at any time.

Members don't see this ad :)
AHHH, it was the 80% that really blew my mind. I did read it right that it was referring to the college of medicine, right?

Our tuition is going up 1,100 I think, something right above one thousand. The following year it will be 1,500 above what it is now but it sounded like that was it. I would expect similar raises at all the public schools. As for Baylor, just depends on how much they get cut from their funding. I would highly suspect that 6500 is going to go up though, that is dirt cheap and they know that fact.

Originally posted by seaworthc
AHHH, it was the 80% that really blew my mind. I did read it right that it was referring to the college of medicine, right?

Our tuition is going up 1,100 I think, something right above one thousand. The following year it will be 1,500 above what it is now but it sounded like that was it. I would expect similar raises at all the public schools. As for Baylor, just depends on how much they get cut from their funding. I would highly suspect that 6500 is going to go up though, that is dirt cheap and they know that fact.

Yeah the 80% refers to the percentage of state funding Baylor COM would lose. It doesnt quantify what the "catastrophic cuts" would be for the other schools however.

Even if there is a tuition increase, I would imagine it wouldnt outpace increases at other TX schools, simply because of the competition for the same students they have.

You gotta love those Bush tax cuts. They've worked wonders for domestic services, especially education, in the US. Hooray for Bush! Hooray for Bush!

Hey gleevec, nice to see you around these forums again :) - and as usual, with truly useful info...

thanks so much for the article. i had no idea anything like that was even in the works. you mentioned it was from a year ago. any ideas if there have been follow-up articles to this (since it was quite a while ago)? after all, the economy is really picking up nationwide (albeit slower in tx, but it's still picking up). i hope baylor is still able to provide in-state tuition rates to its tx residents, at least...and that the other tx schools don't hike up tuition rates too much... :(

i hate to think that the education of medical students, in a state posting one of the the highest medically underserved populations in the nations, will suffer as a calamity of "unforseen budget cuts" :mad: :mad:

This is a pretty old article. What I heard in February or March of 2003 is that the state of Texas cannot cut Baylor's funding more than another Texas medical school's due to the language in the original charter made between Baylor and the state back in the 1960's. This is partly related to the 80/20 rule for in-state/out-of-state applicants. The funny thing about this, at least the way I heard it, is that the TX legislators hadn't bothered to research this and made all their grand plans, and then some people from Baylor or related to Baylor basically came in and said, "Oh no you don't," with the original legislation in hand.

Originally posted by elias514
You gotta love those Bush tax cuts. They've worked wonders for domestic services, especially education, in the US. Hooray for Bush! Hooray for Bush!

The poor and the uninsured don't make million dollar contributions to the Bush re-selection campaign.

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
The poor and the uninsured don't make million dollar contributions to the Bush re-selection campaign.

Get used to it. The dope will probably get re-elected. And just like Reagan, it is the ones he hurts the most who will come out in flocks to vote for him.

"so what if my country is further in debt than ever, the world hates us, I don't have a job, and the ultra-wealthy write our legislation............ this ex-alcoholic/drug addict says he's for prayer in school. I'll vote for him."

Originally posted by Gleevec
Even if there is a tuition increase, I would imagine it wouldnt outpace increases at other TX schools, simply because of the competition for the same students they have.
Yeah, thats what I was trying to say, just that it will probably get a little closer to 10K than 6.5K which would keep it on track with the other schools.

Oh no! This is turning into an "everyone" forum thread! Run!

-Ice :)

Originally posted by lilycat
This is a pretty old article. What I heard in February or March of 2003 is that the state of Texas cannot cut Baylor's funding more than another Texas medical school's due to the language in the original charter made between Baylor and the state back in the 1960's. This is partly related to the 80/20 rule for in-state/out-of-state applicants. The funny thing about this, at least the way I heard it, is that the TX legislators hadn't bothered to research this and made all their grand plans, and then some people from Baylor or related to Baylor basically came in and said, "Oh no you don't," with the original legislation in hand.

Thats good to know lilycat, thanks! I have a feeling that everyone's tuition is going to go up equally for all schools in TX. The question is, how much?

Thanks for the info on the 80/20 rule, I knew there were some peculiarities to Houston attracting Baylor COM from Dallas a while back, but did not know that maintanence of funding across schools was built-into law. Very useful. While its bad that all schools will have to raise tuition by some amount, its good that all schools will still have equal tuition.