Texas Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegrind33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been digging through the stats on the latest MSAR and I noticed a strong increase in stats among Texas schools. Now I know stats across the country at other schools increased as well, but man some of these Texas schools really jumped (Texas A&M, UTH, UTSA, UTD, Tech to name a few). So my question is are these Texas medical schools on the rise? Or are these stats just a reflection of the increasing competitiveness of medical school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d look at the TMDSAS statistics for TX schools rather than the MSAR if you are applying in-State to TX. It’s a whole different ball game in TX for IS vs OOS applicants.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that this report does not include applicants who were accepted into Texas schools and then chose to matriculate at an AMCAS school. Since these applicants are likely at the top of the distribution for GPA/MCAT, the stats in this report may slightly undersell the competitiveness of TMDSAS schools.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that this report does not include applicants who were accepted into Texas schools and then chose to matriculate at an AMCAS school. Since these applicants are likely at the top of the distribution for GPA/MCAT, the stats in this report may slightly undersell the competitiveness of TMDSAS schools.
It also shows the average, not the median GPA or MCAT

It also shows the average, not the median GPA or MCAT

it shows the whole distribution. You can picture from that data what the curve looks like.

Yah this only shows Applicants and Matriculants so ppl going to AMCAS schools are lost. It would be better if they reported an "accepted student" distribution as well.

Reactions: 1 user