TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class *2005* Applicant Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
::Seabass:: said:
psycho!!!!!! its only July!!!!!!! :scared:

:p ;) :p
He's just on top of the game. Interview invitations started coming in mid-late July last year!

good luck, y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

babybop112 said:
Hi guys....i am having a great deal of trouble with one of the secondary questions for Texas A & M and was hoping you all could give me some direction....I have posted the question below.....

Could some please give me some direction by shedding some light on the question?

What are some of the key points that you would bring up if you had to answer this question?

"One of the essential qualities of the clinician is interest in humanity, for the
secret of the care of the patient is in caring for the patient." Discuss briefly
how you would fulfill this commitment as a physician. (500 words)

HELP ME PLEASE!!.......THANK YOU!!
Sorry to say this....but what does that mean to you??? We can't answer it because it's supposed to be a personal answer.

Good :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
:p Trying to do things the right way this time. ;)
well, when you went to the bathroom the other night TR told me of her secret plot to increase pre-med neuroticism......seems to be working.......

;)

::Seabass:: said:
well, went you went to the bathroom the other night TR told me of her secret plot to increase pre-med neuroticism......seems to be working.......

;)
:laugh: it must be working then. ;)

jtorres said:
i am trying to write my ps on tmdsas but my tab key doesnt allow to indent. is there where i can just skip a line and leave it blank? to make it seem like a paragraph?

As far as I know, you can't insert a line break either, so I just spaced about 5 times to indicate a new paragraph.

Good luck everyone, its one hell of an emotional roller coaster! I'm sitting this one out but I'll be back.

Hey, thanks for bumping this thread up....

I've now completed all of the TX secondaries save the TCOM one.

As they said in Star Wars, "Alllllmoost there!!" ;)

How's everyone else doing?

Finished all the secondaries except TCOM (not so sure I am going to fill that one out though -- it is sooo long) Still waiting to be transmitted though.

finished JHU last night at 5 in the morning... ive got a few more that are avialable that i need to take care of. i guess i got the yale email today officially, too.

All done with the TX secondaries. :thumbup:

As a reward I'm letting myself have a pint of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. *drools*

Anyone hear from schools yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumparooni.....

Still haven't been processed :(

-tx

trauma_junky said:
Good luck everyone, its one hell of an emotional roller coaster! I'm sitting this one out but I'll be back.

Hey T_J, good to see you here again. Good luck on improving your app during the off time.

All Texas applicants: Good luck and happy hunting. I guess I'm a little behind since the submit button hasn't been hit yet. I'm revamping my PS and getting a few more vol hours under my belt at Parkland. All the app is done except for essay stuff. Soon, very soon though.

OrthoFixation said:
Hey T_J, good to see you here again. Good luck on improving your app during the off time.

All Texas applicants: Good luck and happy hunting. I guess I'm a little behind since the submit button hasn't been hit yet. I'm revamping my PS and getting a few more vol hours under my belt at Parkland. All the app is done except for essay stuff. Soon, very soon though.
Same here. Decided to totally revamp my PS. Been busy job hunting. LOR's in the works, just waiting on my slow ass... :p

IndyZX said:
Good luck, everyone. This is gonna be fun.

My letter writers have turned in my stuff, but I'm still waiting on my health professions office to organize those and send them out. Should be good to go by the end of the week though.

I'm assuming you go to UT. How long does it take those useless HPO staff to get out the letters? I'm trying to submit everything by Friday (my last LOR is going to be sent to the HPO today). And when do most people submit their TMDSAS app?...I feel like i've missed the train.

They sent them out pretty quick. TMDSAS recieved my letters like two days later, of course it doesn't hurt that TMDSAS's office is in Austin, too.

A lot of people have already submitted TMDSAS, but I doubt the majority have. You'll be fine, just get it in ASAP.

Can someone list the things I need to do to submit my application.

I have everything filled out online, now do I:

Send transcripts, committee letter, money, authorization sheet, picture. Can I send everything in the same envelope?

Can someone list a step by step proccess on how to submit?

Thanks
JD

ifailedmcat said:
Sorry, wasn't sure if this was clarified but your committee letter should be sent separately and it should be submitted by your school.

Thanks, yes, the letter will be sent by the pre-med council. So, is that all I have to do?

Send transcripts, send picture, send authorization form, and send money?

JDAD said:
Can someone list the things I need to do to submit my application.

I have everything filled out online, now do I:

Send transcripts, committee letter, money, authorization sheet, picture. Can I send everything in the same envelope?

Can someone list a step by step proccess on how to submit?

Thanks
JD

Definitely send transcripts ASAP - you can't send them yourself, so contact your schools' registrar's office and have them send it.

Send the following 3 items together in one envelope:
1. app fee (with pin# written on check)
2. certification page ("authorization sheet")
3. correct number of photos (1 for each school and 1 for TMDSAS - write name and pin# on back of each)

Like the person above said--your committee letter is not sent by you.

If you goto TMDSAS's website (http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/), goto "how to apply" and "timeline for application process"--this shoudl get you started.

Good luck! :thumbup:

-tx

Thank you both.

Hey fellow TX applicants!

So people should be receiving the first round of letters for interviews soon, right? I was just wondering if anyone's gotten an interview date yet. I'm feeling a little antsy waiting!

Me:
TMDSAS sent to schools 6/30. Sent in secondaries soon after that except for UTSW and A&M. Just can't seem to find anything to say for those essays.

Just submitted today.. :(

okay ya'll

they say that they will process 3-4 weeks after receiving your cert page, money and pictures right?

so i realized last week that one of my school failed to send my transcript and I was sitting on an incomplete file for two weeks!
i had it overnighted to the TMDSAS but am I screwed now?
Will they send 3-4 weeks from getting cert page.ect or 3-4 from getting everything?

help scared!!

Keberson said:
okay ya'll

they say that they will process 3-4 weeks after receiving your cert page, money and pictures right?

so i realized last week that one of my school failed to send my transcript and I was sitting on an incomplete file for two weeks!
i had it overnighted to the TMDSAS but am I screwed now?
Will they send 3-4 weeks from getting cert page.ect or 3-4 from getting everything?

help scared!!

I think that you're in line to be processed as soon as they get the certification page, pictures, and fee. But I would get everything else in as soon as possible because they can't send your process your application without your transcripts. Email them if you have questions; they're pretty good about returning emails. For me, it says that they received the photos, etc 5/27 and it took them until 6/30 to send my application out. So you probably have a little bit of wait still. You can also ask them where they are in their processing right now and they'll tell you. Hope this helps!

EvoDevo said:
All done with the TX secondaries. :thumbup:

As a reward I'm letting myself have a pint of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. *drools*

Evo, I swear to god, when I read that I though it said that you'd let yourself have a young double chocolate stud.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

HollyJ said:
Evo, I swear to god, when I read that I though it said that you'd let yourself have a young double chocolate stud.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
:eek: Hon, time to lay off the Boone's.
:D :p ;)

Bumping to start off the new week. How's everyone doing?

interview invites are comin in. got an email today from A&m for aug 5th interview
thats damn early.

latinfridley said:
interview invites are comin in. got an email today from A&m for aug 5th interview
thats damn early.
Congrats and good luck. Be sure to tell us how it went (in your opinion)

latinfridley said:
thats damn early.

Good stuff, congrats!

Still no replies for me :(

-tx

latinfridley said:
thats damn early.
nice. good luck!

latinfridley said:
thats damn early.
Congrats!! :thumbup:

latinfridley said:
thats damn early.

Hey congrats! :clap:

Anybody else find themselves checking snail mail and email everyday hoping for an invite? :p

Verified today.

Although the "C" by my MCAT score has now been taken away and it looks like I'm planning on taking the Fall MCAT. I don't know what's going on -- they told me that I marked down 'yes' for Q28b, indicating that I was to take the August MCAT. They said they'd fix it, dunno...

Who really want to go to UTHSCSA and ranking it high on that match system?

Just wondering, what are everyone's texas rankings?

Look forward to your responses!

P.S. I think it's pretty cool that about half of Texas applicants gets into a Texas Med School. Thats 1 in 2....really good. Everyone with decent scores are in! am I right? Good luck everyone!

Processed/Sent to School today!! 7/21

They received my 3 items on 6/21 (so exactly 1 month has passed--just barely inside the range they tell us)

Hopefully the interview invites will come next!

IndyZX - they had an error on mine too--you gotta email and call them...I hounded them about an error they made just before transmission....

Good luck to all. :thumbup: :luck:

-tx

What was your error?

I'll call tomorrow and ask them if since they transmitted my application, it will show up that I am taking the August MCAT no matter what I try to change now. If that is the case, then I'm going to have to send each school an update by mail.

I asked TMDSAS to make a change in my personal statement, but the change that they made had a mispelling! Luckily, since I check the stuff frantically, I caught the error in the update and got them to change it right before transmission to the schools.

Your problem doesnt sound like a biggie--just gotta send stuff to the schools directly.

Good luck man--glad alot of us are finally processed--I was getting ancy when that one guy got an interview from A&M!

-tx

I guess I should go ahead and send correspondence to the schools about the August MCAT snafu now...

I bet we get interview invites very soon. Good luck.

Keberson said:
For the UTSW ranges....sounds fishy to me. I guess its URM or extreme circumstances (saved the farm while curing cancer during the weekends, no time to study for mcat)

Honestly...i haven't applied to UTSW cuz I figure I have no chance in hell.

When I went through this (2001) there was a story about a woman who was in UTSW with a 21 MCAT and a 3.0+ GPA, but she was for real...something like a Peace Corps volunteer (I didnt even know they still did that). Apparently there was a confrmation of a similar case from Harvard (I know they took a 20 MCAT that year).

Idiopathic said:
When I went through this (2001) there was a story about a woman who was in UTSW with a 21 MCAT and a 3.0+ GPA, but she was for real...something like a Peace Corps volunteer (I didnt even know they still did that). Apparently there was a confrmation of a similar case from Harvard (I know they took a 20 MCAT that year).
Holy smokes! Really?

Too bad that won't be me. ;)

On another note, apparently one of my LOR writers went on vacation w/o sending in my letter. :rolleyes: *sigh*

still waiting for my last LOR, then HPO has make a rec... geez, this sucks.

I just got invited to UT Houston for August 20th interviews. I wasn't even looking for interview offers yet.

EvoDevo said:
Holy smokes! Really?

Too bad that won't be me. ;)

On another note, apparently one of my LOR writers went on vacation w/o sending in my letter. :rolleyes: *sigh*
I take it back. They've arrived. Whooo!!! :clap:

Hey Diver, congrats!! If you have any questions about UT Houston interviews, PM me. Good luck!

I've also got a August 20th UT Houston interview date. It came by e-mail at 9:30 am today.