Texas Dental Schools OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baffybuff

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a strong desire to go to school in Texas but I am considered OOS. Could anyone with information tell me how many OOS interviews are given and the chances of acceptance of you end up receiving an interview? Is there anything that could make you stand out in an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

There's alot of information about this online already, look it up. The gist of it is about 10% (I could be wrong, if am wrong it would be less than 10%) is the absolute max a Texas school would accept OOS. so that's about 5 seats per school. some of these seats I believe go to states that don't have dental programs and are in some sort of agreement with Texas. In short, if you're average you're not getting a seat but if you really want to attend a Tx dental school you should relocate to Texas and establish residency!
The reason: Texas schools are funded by the state for the most part and that funding is meant to provide dental care to Texans so most accepted are Texas because they don't want dental students who would leave the state the second they graduate. Thus, if you have any ties to Texas it would go a long way for you if you apply as OOS.

There's alot of information about this online already, look it up. The gist of it is about 10% (I could be wrong, if am wrong it would be less than 10%) is the absolute max a Texas school would accept OOS. so that's about 5 seats per school. some of these seats I believe go to states that don't have dental programs and are in some sort of agreement with Texas. In short, if you're average you're not getting a seat but if you really want to attend a Tx dental school you should relocate to Texas and establish residency!
The reason: Texas schools are funded by the state for the most part and that funding is meant to provide dental care to Texans so most accepted are Texas because they don't want dental students who would leave the state the second they graduate. Thus, if you have any ties to Texas it would go a long way for you if you apply as OOS.
Yes I am aware of all of this information. I grew up in Texas (born and raised) and only lost my residency when I separated from the military a couple years ago and stayed local to finish up my degree at the school I was at. I was just curious about actual interview stats since I already have an interview as OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am in-state so not the best knowledgeable about this subject. I can tell you I interviewed at two Tx schools already and from what I can tell there was only 1 OOS out of about 16 in each interview. My guess if you got an interview than your chance of getting in is close to a resident since at least we know they interview OOS with about the same ratio as they accept them. hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Im an OOS applicant trying to get into texas dental school. I am obviously not a resident but my family is permanently moving to texas. How should I indicate that in my application?