Texas Academic Fresh Start Program- Confused!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Perhaps down the road soon, those of us who have had success with AFS need to draft a letter to legislators detailing how the spirit of the law is being blunted by ivory tower scholars who are too lazy to take the time to understand how AFS works. I would argue that institutions that fail to participate in AFS are violating section 51.931 of the Texas education code, and are, in effect, engaging in ageism.

Schools might argue that the specific subsection doesn't mention the requirement to participate, but I would counter that argument with two points.

1. Chapter 51, in general, begins by noting that the entire section applies to higher learning institutions.
2. The literal title of Sec. 51.931 is "RIGHT TO AN ACADEMIC FRESH START." Hence, the education code establishes AFS as a right that is granted via legislation. Institutions that fail to participate are unequivocally denying students a state-granted right.
As long as AFS is on one transcript, I don't see a problem. TMDSAS understands AFS and follows the law. If they see it on any transcript, they'll honor it. They'll get the grade calculation correct. Since Baylor College of Medicine and Sam Houston's osteopathic school are private, AFS doesn't apply to them. I suppose AFS does two calculations, one for the private schools and another for all of the rest.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as AFS is on one transcript, I don't see a problem. TMDSAS understands AFS and follows the law. If they see it on any transcript, they'll honor it. They'll get the grade calculation correct. Since Baylor College of Medicine and Sam Houston's osteopathic school are private, AFS doesn't apply to them. I suppose AFS does two calculations, one for the private schools and another for all of the rest.
The issue isn't with TMDSAS, it is that the vast majority of TX undergrad institutions are refusing to allow students to invoke AFS, citing a variety of reasons.

The typical scenario involves registrar's offices not understanding the law, and believing that one who already has a degree is barred from applying under AFS. In the recent past, Richland College and HCC were the two schools allowing students with degrees to invoke AFS without issue, but Richland College changed their stance a few years ago, so it seems like HCC may be the only school allowing degree-holders to exercise their right to AFS.

What @esob is saying is that undergrad institutions are violating students' right under Texas law to invoke AFS, and it might be helpful if some of us who've navigated the process successfully inform legislators how the law helped us, while also explaining the issue of school staff being uneducated on how the law works, thus preventing many candidates from exercising their right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The issue isn't with TMDSAS, it is that the vast majority of TX undergrad institutions are refusing to allow students to invoke AFS, citing a variety of reasons.

The typical scenario involves registrar's offices not understanding the law, and believing that one who already has a degree is barred from applying under AFS. In the recent past, Richland College and HCC were the two schools allowing students with degrees to invoke AFS without issue, but Richland College changed their stance a few years ago, so it seems like HCC may be the only school allowing degree-holders to exercise their right to AFS.

What @esob is saying is that undergrad institutions are violating students' right under Texas law to invoke AFS, and it might be helpful if some of us who've navigated the process successfully inform legislators how the law helped us, while also explaining the issue of school staff being uneducated on how the law works, thus preventing many candidates from exercising their right.
I am currently going through the process of invoking fresh start and it is very confusing how the academic fresh start program seems to change from school to school. If it wasn't for me finding this website and searching these message boards then I would likely have just given up on fresh start.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently going through the process of invoking fresh start and it is very confusing how the academic fresh start program seems to change from school to school. If it wasn't for me finding this website and searching these message boards then I would likely have just given up on fresh start.
It can be so frustrating, indeed. Did you find a school willing to get it done for you?

Not yet but after reading this thread I might contact Houston Community College
Here is another contact for the thread that helped me implement AFS at Alamo Colleges during Summer 2020. Hopefully they haven’t changed their stance on AFS.

Attachments

• 3118E2A7-D4D4-47AC-AE6F-B69A908BD102.jpeg
    3118E2A7-D4D4-47AC-AE6F-B69A908BD102.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Not yet but after reading this thread I might contact Houston Community College
HCC was the only college who got my AFS processed swiftly and without question. They have a form on their website that is easily accessible. I ended up taking an online class through HCC for my “one class”.

Lone Star College will process AFS too but it required THREE MONTHS of constant harassment on my part. Do not recommend.

I must say that this is the best thread regarding AFS. I've been lurking for quite a while and would like to ask a few questions of my own (as a non-Texan & non-traditional student).

• If I were to move to Texas and establish residency after a year, would I be able to invoke AFS?
  • If all things are true regarding the previous scenario, does AFS only wipe-out coursework taken at institutions in the state of Texas?
    • From 2009-2014, I was enrolled at four schools in New York on and off
    • Resumed school at Arizona State (non-science major) in Fall 2022 and will graduate in Fall 2024
      • If AFS is invoked, approximately 78 credits will be at the ready for transfer say Fall 2025 or so.

Not so much concerned with answers regarding the ensuing coursework if everything holds true; I know it'll definitely be a DIY post-bac and fulfilling some basic requirements.

Thanks in advance, guys!

I must say that this is the best thread regarding AFS. I've been lurking for quite a while and would like to ask a few questions of my own (as a non-Texan & non-traditional student).

• If I were to move to Texas and establish residency after a year, would I be able to invoke AFS?
  • If all things are true regarding the previous scenario, does AFS only wipe-out coursework taken at institutions in the state of Texas?
    • Resumed school at Arizona State (non-science major) in Fall 2022 and will graduate in Fall 2024
      • If AFS is invoked, approximately 78 credits will be at the ready for transfer say Fall 2025 or so.

Not so much concerned with answers regarding the ensuing coursework if everything holds true; I know it'll definitely be a DIY post-bac and fulfilling some basic requirements.

Thanks in advance, guys!

1. Yes. But residency is established by the schools so you will want to check with them to ensure the 1 year mark is enough.
2. No, non-Texas schools will have their grades wiped as well.

This is an older thread, so if you have more questions please come ask in our mega thread!
Have questions about Texas Academic Fresh Start? Come ask in our megathread!

Thanks in advance, guys!
You have to have 90 hours to get admitted. If AFS puts you below 90 hours, you'll need to take more courses to get to 90 again.

Thanks in advance, guys!
All of my "old" grades were from out of state. This program is amazing! The only issue is that most schools simply don't understand how it works. HCC is one of the few.

HCC might have changed their rules. I just applied, got accepted for Spring 2024 and submitted the AFS form only to be informed quite quickly by email from the registrar that I’m not eligible because I have a bachelors degree. I don’t know where to try next. It’s a pain to apply, send transcripts, pay fees, all for nothing.

HCC might have changed their rules. I just applied, got accepted for Spring 2024 and submitted the AFS form only to be informed quite quickly by email from the registrar that I’m not eligible because I have a bachelors degree. I don’t know where to try next. It’s a pain to apply, send transcripts, pay fees, all for nothing.
That really sucks. The only advice I can offer is to find the contact for Mary Lemburg and speak directly with her. In the past, she has been the individual in the HCC registrar's office who understood the policy and had no issue with previous degrees. If you manage to get in touch with her and can't get it done, we may be reaching truly insane times in TX when it comes to AFS.

That really sucks. The only advice I can offer is to find the contact for Mary Lemburg and speak directly with her. In the past, she has been the individual in the HCC registrar's office who understood the policy and had no issue with previous degrees. If you manage to get in touch with her and can't get it done, we may be reaching truly insane times in TX when it comes to AFS.
The email I received stating AFS was rejected due to having a degree came from Mary Lemburg. I responded to the email but no response yet, and the phone number for her automatically hangs up after one ring. I tried emailing 2 other people in the registrars office but my emails are automatically rejected for being an outside address (not hccs.edu). The kicker is we cannot get an hccs.edu email address until we enroll in a class but I cannot enroll before requesting AFS. So if you have a problem about your AFS petition, you can’t email or call the people that process it. What kind of crazy unfair system is that? I’m so disappointed.

• Wow
  • Sad
This is crazy. Mary Lemburg was the one who took care of my AFS too. We even had a conversation specifically about my bachelor's degree transcript. My only guess is that HCC has changed their policy or revisited how they were implementing the law. This really sucks. Wishing you good luck with Lone Star, I can't remember who I was communicating with but it took them 2 months of weekly calls to even somewhat get my AFS processed (after 2 months I ended up discovering HCC and going with them because they processed it within 2 days lol). I think some folks have mentioned Alamo Colleges being open to AFS as well?

• Sad
Sorry to hear that some of y’all have been having difficulty enrolling in AFS. But don’t let that get in the way of pursuing your dream. I ultimately didn’t use AFS and found many of the TMDSAS schools willing to look past my old grades.

• Care
The email I received stating AFS was rejected due to having a degree came from Mary Lemburg. I responded to the email but no response yet, and the phone number for her automatically hangs up after one ring. I tried emailing 2 other people in the registrars office but my emails are automatically rejected for being an outside address (not hccs.edu). The kicker is we cannot get an hccs.edu email address until we enroll in a class but I cannot enroll before requesting AFS. So if you have a problem about your AFS petition, you can’t email or call the people that process it. What kind of crazy unfair system is that? I’m so disappointed.

Not sure where you are located, but previously UT Arlington and UNT were both able to implement AFS.

This is crazy. Mary Lemburg was the one who took care of my AFS too. We even had a conversation specifically about my bachelor's degree transcript. My only guess is that HCC has changed their policy or revisited how they were implementing the law. This really sucks. Wishing you good luck with Lone Star, I can't remember who I was communicating with but it took them 2 months of weekly calls to even somewhat get my AFS processed (after 2 months I ended up discovering HCC and going with them because they processed it within 2 days lol). I think some folks have mentioned Alamo Colleges being open to AFS as well?
Good News/Update: Mary approved my AFS petition after I replied to the original email she sent that initially rejected the petition (apparently my “reply” to the original email was delivered but emails to other registrar staff were undeliverable).

I’m 100% grateful and Mary was very nice, but the whole process has been confusing. The original email rejecting my AFS petition stated that my previous degree meant that I “would not qualify for academic fresh start.” After I responded saying other students with previous degrees have been granted AFS, I received a reply from Mary saying she will allow it but that if a student has a degree, HCC “cannot rescind the degree from another institution.” I responded again saying that AFS does not result in erasing a degree (which I had already verified years ago from speaking with TMDSAS and another school’s registrar). I thanked her and now I need to enroll in a class there.

My confusion is that it seems the initial rejection was saying my degree made me ineligible for AFS whereas later correspondence seemed to suggest they couldn’t grant AFS because they couldn’t rescind my degree. I don’t know why they thought the purpose of AFS was to rescind a degree. Anyway, I’m just glad it went through and Mary was in fact very gracious.

• Love
Also, can I just say thank you to everyone on this forum for help and encouragement. Y’all are the best!

• Care
Good News/Update: Mary approved my AFS petition after I replied to the original email she sent that initially rejected the petition (apparently my “reply” to the original email was delivered but emails to other registrar staff were undeliverable).

I’m 100% grateful and Mary was very nice, but the whole process has been confusing. The original email rejecting my AFS petition stated that my previous degree meant that I “would not qualify for academic fresh start.” After I responded saying other students with previous degrees have been granted AFS, I received a reply from Mary saying she will allow it but that if a student has a degree, HCC “cannot rescind the degree from another institution.” I responded again saying that AFS does not result in erasing a degree (which I had already verified years ago from speaking with TMDSAS and another school’s registrar). I thanked her and now I need to enroll in a class there.

My confusion is that it seems the initial rejection was saying my degree made me ineligible for AFS whereas later correspondence seemed to suggest they couldn’t grant AFS because they couldn’t rescind my degree. I don’t know why they thought the purpose of AFS was to rescind a degree. Anyway, I’m just glad it went through and Mary was in fact very gracious.
Superb news! So happy for you! Please keep us posted as you continue to navigate the pre-med and AFS process. I may not be around here much, but I will be rooting for you something tough!!