MD & DO (Texas) 3.34cGPA, 3.39sGPA, 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biglou09

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. 3.34cGPA, 3.39sGPA
  2. 508 MCAT (127’s all around)
  3. Texas
  4. Mid Size State University
  5. 120 Hospital Volunteer Hours
  6. No research :(
  7. 60 MD shadowing hours (IM, FM, Gen. Surg., Pediatrics) 30 DO shadowing hours (IM, FM)
  8. 80 hours community Service (church group)
  9. US Army Reserve Medic, Powerlifting
  10. Deans list last 4 semesters
  11. First 2 years had a 2.54 GPA, last two years had a 3.93. Bilingual.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive interviews. Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and include TCOM and UIWSOM.

Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive interviews. Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and include TCOM and UIWSOM.
Wow, this is awesome! My advisor had told me to stay clear of MD and DO, since I would be screened immediately due to my lower GPA’s and subpar MCAT. It’s nice to hear that there’s hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
I advise you to take another year and increase your clinical volunteer hours to 250+, your nonclinical volunteering hours to 150+ if you are shooting for higher tier TMDSAS MDs. And do some DIY PB science courses to increase those GPAs.

TX loves high GPAs; your advisor is correct that your GPAs are below the preferred. Your MCAT is fine.

I advise you to take another year and increase your clinical volunteer hours to 250+, your nonclinical volunteering hours to 150+ if you are shooting for higher tier TMDSAS MDs. And do some DIY PB science courses to increase those GPAs.

TX loves high GPAs; your advisor is correct that your GPAs are below the preferred. Your MCAT is fine.
He has military background. I am sure he will be fine.

I took the military background into consideration when making my recommendation...