Tests of dexterity during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cholinergic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know surgery residencies will ask applicants to demonstrate dexterity or use laproscopic tools. Since OB is a surgical specialty, is there a similar task that occurs during interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Not on any of my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of the places I rotate through makes you give a case presentation.

OK OBGirlie, that reminds me. I read that in FA for the match you might be expected to present a case. What does that mean exactly? Do you mean the pt's presentation, tests, labs, diagnosis, management, etc?

OK OBGirlie, that reminds me. I read that in FA for the match you might be expected to present a case. What does that mean exactly? Do you mean the pt's presentation, tests, labs, diagnosis, management, etc?

I am sure OBGirlie will respond, but when I was asked to "present a case" it was not as technical as you would think. The interviewer posed the question to see if I have dealt with any ethical/moral dilemma's (sp?), encountered difficult or pleasantly memorable patients and the impact it had. I might have mentioned diagnosis or mgmt. but I was not grilled on the details.

I am sure OBGirlie will respond, but when I was asked to "present a case" it was not as technical as you would think. The interviewer posed the question to see if I have dealt with any ethical/moral dilemma's (sp?), encountered difficult or pleasantly memorable patients and the impact it had. I might have mentioned diagnosis or mgmt. but I was not grilled on the details.

OK, thanks for the clarification. :thumbup: I guess one should go into the interview having prepared a few cases on issues that are more likely to be brought up.

OK, thanks for the clarification. :thumbup: I guess one should go into the interview having prepared a few cases on issues that are more likely to be brought up.

Yep. If you think you will forget, write in a journal or something right now since you are still on the wards and your memory is fresh. During my fourth year, I have spent very little time relatively on the wards.

I had to tie knots at Jefferson. First is was two handed...then it was one handed...then it was a "double one handed surgeons" knot, which I had never heard of. Then he teaches you how to do it...according to him it is to determine if you are teachable or not.

I had to tie knots at Jefferson. First is was two handed...then it was one handed...then it was a "double one handed surgeons" knot, which I had never heard of. Then he teaches you how to do it...according to him it is to determine if you are teachable or not.

OMG. I interviewed at Jefferson and didn't do that. You must have had a "special" interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

That would freak me out! :scared:

Dr. Weinstein?

When I say case presentation, he gives you a paper that has CC, etc, exam findings, and you have to organize it and present it like you would on the floors.
...yuck sounds intimidating b/c different attendings have different styles on how they like their presentations. you have to PM me or post where this was since i am curious now.

Oh awesome site! Maybe I can get my skills up before residency :)

When I say case presentation, he gives you a paper that has CC, etc, exam findings, and you have to organize it and present it like you would on the floors.

Wow, I haven't tied a knot in 1.5 years! All of my 4th year electives have been non-surgical - I just ordered the Ethicon board so I could practice before residency starts.

where do u get the board from? I suck at knots

Call 1-800-255-2500 (Ethicon) and ask for the following:

Ethicon Knot Tying Board
Ethicon Knot Tying Manual
Ethicon Knot Tying Rope

They will ship these to you for free. The big ole rope is nothing like a suture, but I won't be in an OR any time soon to pilfer any, so I guess the rope beats a blank!

its greg fossum from REI that makes everyone tie knots. he likes to show off that he knows how to tie a 1 handed surgeon knot.

Call 1-800-255-2500 (Ethicon) and ask for the following:

Ethicon Knot Tying Board
Ethicon Knot Tying Manual
Ethicon Knot Tying Rope

They will ship these to you for free. The big ole rope is nothing like a suture, but I won't be in an OR any time soon to pilfer any, so I guess the rope beats a blank!

Thanks Pinki!!!!!

Hey - how do you know Dr. Fossum? Where did you do your OB rotation?

I'm actually on OB right now with an attending that trained with him at Jefferson. He hijacked my SDN account and posted!! haha :laugh:

I'm actually on OB right now with an attending that trained with him at Jefferson. He hijacked my SDN account and posted!! haha :laugh:

wow an ob attending on our forum! interesting. ask him if he is interested in becoming an sdn mentor for our forum. also encourage him to get his own account and give us some advice on here.