CARS Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you used Testing Solutions passages? What did you think?

• Yes! Very accurate, really like them a lot!

• Nope. I'm here for the free guide and that's it!

• Yes, but they stink. (Oh no....please email us at [email protected] for a refund!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Quick question! You mention taking 3 long breaths before the start of each passage as well as a 10-15 preview by reading the first sentences of each paragraph..should that be included in 4 min/passage or can we start our individual timer for passage as a whole (i.e. 9, 10.5..) then when we actually start reading the passage, we can start our 4 min/passage timer.
**still on day 5 of this guide.

The breaths and preview should be included in the 4 mins. It's okay if you give yourself between 4 and 5 minutes to read each passage as I know it can be tough to fit all of that in. I'd recommend waiting to practice with the breaths until you start taking full-length tests, but I'd recommend doing the preview from day one. Does that make sense? Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

What if I only have 10 weeks? Is there a way to ramp up intensity, or is it best to just accomplish what I can?

I'd recommend upping the number of passages you do each day during the first 30 days and cutting out a week or two of practice passages after finish reading through this guide and before starting practice tests. Does that make sense?

Do you have any suggestions for how to tackle questions that say "an important comparison is made in the passage between" Is this more of a main idea type question? I am having trouble with these questions in terms of trying to figure out if they want the main idea or a specific comparison. Thanks!

@yellowstone_mt - I would say a fair number of these sorts of questions might have to do with the main idea, but the reality is that the MCAT could ask you to compare any two things in the passage whether they're important or not. I'd recommend trying to approach it like two battling camps of people. Camp A and Camp B. What's are the differences between the two? Why might they hate each other? Is one positive and the other negative? Is one trying to return to the old ways of doing things while the other camp is trying to bring about reforms and major changes? Is one camp conservative while the other liberal? What would you have to change about Camp A so that Camp B would accept them and let them in? What would you have to remove from Camp B in order to make it look like Camp A? These sorts of questions can really help give you a "flavor" of the two things being compared which will help you eliminate answer choices even if you aren't completely sure about the answer. Some people even recommend drawing a line on scratch paper and comparing the two as you read through the passage (assuming it's a big enough idea). I believe EK has a "spectrum" approach that they advocate. In my experience, these sorts of techniques aren't necessary if you build your capacity from the ground up through consistent practice and review, but if you're really stumped and looking for something, maybe give that a try even if just to get your mind thinking that way even if you don't end up approaching the passages that way on test day. Keep us in the loop and let us know how we can help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on day 18 and my timing is down, but I am still missing a lot of questions. I am getting around 2-3 questions per passage correct. I am using the EK 101 Verbal book. Any tips on how to improve?

Thanks

@C013 - Well my answer depends on a few factors. 1) How many passages have you done in total? It's possible that you're still working out the kinks in your strategy. As you get more comfortable moving switfly through passages and you learn to better breakdown and follow the flow of passages, you'll find that you'll start getting more questions right. 2) Are they any particular patterns you notice about the sorts of questions you're getting wrong? Are you completely blindsided by them or did you have an idea that you might not get them correct? 3) Are you reviewing your passages and questions now that your timing is down? After improving your timing, the best way to improve your CARS score is by thoroughly reviewing difficult passages and questions so that you can practice thinking in the way the CARS wants you to think. Answer a few of these questions and we can give you better feedback as to what to do next. Best of luck!

Hi, I have 60 days to the MCAT. How do you recommend condensing this schedule to 60 days? thank you.

@Chami - We're going to be publishing a variety of schedules in the coming weeks, but in case you need it sooner, I'd recommend upping the number of passages you do each day during the first 30 days you're going through our guide and then just immediately start taking full-lengths during the second half of your 60 days. Best of luck and let us know if you have any more questions!

Long time creeper here. First, thank you for posting this guide. It's really helped to break down question/answer types and provided me with a framework to study CARS on top of a full time work schedule.

Second, I'm a little worried about the TS tests; namely, they seem much harder than any other material I've looked at. I got 96% on the AAMC sample test as a diagnostic and have been getting 127 - 129 on TPR stuff, as well as 80-90 on EK101. However, after 4 TS practice tests, my scores have plummeted to around 70%! Is this normal? People in your "testimonies" have said they that the difficulty in TS approximates the actual MCAT - if so, are we all doomed?
Thanks again!

@Llamastan - I'm glad to hear the guide's been useful! As to our practice tests, we generally recommend that you add 10% to your score. We have a higher percentage of difficult passages than the actual CARS section you'll face on test day. After working with students through the years, we've come to the conclusion that it's better to practice with more difficult passages so when you get to the real thing, everything feels easier. With that said, we realize that it can be difficult in terms of confidence. The truth of the matter is that all test prep companies are giving you their best guess as to what the CARS is like. At the end of the day, even if they're good guesses, they're still guesses. I think most people pay way too much attention to percentages on non-AAMC materials. They'll say "I got an 80% on an EK test but then a 65% on a TPR and a 70% on Testing Solutions. Why is my score jumping around!?" The reality is that all practice tests were not created equally and the only practice tests that are going to really tell you were you are at are the AAMC practice. I recommend doing significant practice before approaching those passages, because you don't want to waste them too early when you're still making silly mistakes (such as timing). If you're really nervous about where you're at, do 5 or 6 AAMC passages and see where you score. If you got a 96% on the sample test, it sounds like you're in pretty good shape. Just keep in mind with our tests, they're designed to be hardier than the real thing. Best of luck!!

@TestingSolutions

hi there
I purchased the package with 8 CARS tests, last summer ( July 2016). I saw that there is a new package with 6 CARS tests, are these passages different than the ones from last year ? What are the changes made to this new package ?

Many thanks.

@sh.h - We updated all of our practice tests recently (like within the last week) and also have released T11 and T12. If anyone would like the updated tests that has already ordered our practice tests (including getting the new ones for free), just email us at [email protected] with your order number and we'll send them right over. Best of luck!

@TestingSolutions

I am on day 18. I have my timing down but I am not getting as many answers correct as I would like. My scores vary but I would say that I am scoring at least half or under half on my passages. Also, in regards to the question stems, it varies as well. It seems like I struggle with all of the stems. It doesn't seem to me that there is a particular stem that I favor. I am using EK 101 for prep. Any recommendations?

@covergirl13 - If your timing is down, then you're in a great place. Now it's time to start reviewing your passages and questions in detail. I recommend reviewing the one or two most difficult passages from a practice session, but do so following our step by step approach. After timing, the biggest gains people see is when they start to review their passages and questions. It's at this step that you beginning to really see the patterns and trains of thought that the CARS uses over and over again. You'll start to develop the skills to parse arguments and follow the flow of the passages as you read, predicting what sorts of questions the author might ask. It can take some time though between getting your timing down, adjusting to these newer, faster time limits you've set for yourself and seeing improvements in your score. It can take upwards of 30 to 50 passages before the timing starts to feel normal, sometimes even longer depending on the students. If I had one recommendation for you at this point, it would be to start reviewing your passages. Check out our guide here! Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test

Best of luck and let us know how we can help!

@TestingSolutions

Hi!

I have been following your 30 Days CARS Guide and doing what you recommend. I reached day 22 and it has helped in some ways.

First of all, English is my second language. Secondly, my vocabulary is not great. That is the reason I struggled in CARS last year on MCAT (ie 122).

I did not know how to practice CARS. Even following your 30 Day guide, I am still struggling. Timing was the issue on the first test. I have somewhat mastered the timing but with the cost of not "really" understanding the passage.

When you say read for "Structure" not "Detail", I do not completely understand how to interpret it?

Your help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

PS. I am taking MCAT on Sept 1st.

Last edited:
@TestingSolutions

Hi!
I am having trouble with timing. I have hard time reading the passage within 4 mins and understand it. If I do so, I end up compromising on the answers. I can manage to read and answer questions within your suggested timing (9 mins for 5 questions and such) but it comes with cost of not having enough time to clearly understand the question and answering it wrong (which I notice during review).
What can I do to improve timing without affecting understanding the passage and having enough time to answer the question?

@TestingSolutions

Hi!
I am having trouble with timing. I have hard time reading the passage within 4 mins and understand it. If I do so, I end up compromising on the answers. I can manage to read and answer questions within your suggested timing (9 mins for 5 questions and such) but it comes with cost of not having enough time to clearly understand the question and answering it wrong (which I notice during review).
What can I do to improve timing without affecting understanding the passage and having enough time to answer the question?

@TestingSolutions

I'm also having the same problem. Is it normal to start tanking your % correct per CARS passage after changing your strategies of reading the passages for only 4 minutes? Once, I'm on the questions, I try NOT to go back to the passage, but I feel that I'm guessing through many of the questions. Does this mean I just need more practice? Or is there something wrong with my comprehension skills?

@C013 - Well my answer depends on a few factors. 1) How many passages have you done in total? It's possible that you're still working out the kinks in your strategy. As you get more comfortable moving switfly through passages and you learn to better breakdown and follow the flow of passages, you'll find that you'll start getting more questions right. 2) Are they any particular patterns you notice about the sorts of questions you're getting wrong? Are you completely blindsided by them or did you have an idea that you might not get them correct? 3) Are you reviewing your passages and questions now that your timing is down? After improving your timing, the best way to improve your CARS score is by thoroughly reviewing difficult passages and questions so that you can practice thinking in the way the CARS wants you to think. Answer a few of these questions and we can give you better feedback as to what to do next. Best of luck!

I have done around 80 passages so far. The questions I get wrong are usually questions based off of understanding the author.

I will start doing the Day 29 Review for every passage I complete.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been doing a few passages almost every day for a couple of months now. And my timing is still not improving much--it takes me 5-6 minutes to read a passage. I'm getting several questions wrong per passage, though I haven't been reviewing passages, so I guess that might be a reason. But my main problem is comprehension of the passage when I read it--I think I get nervous and I don't understand what I'm reading when I read it for the first time, but when I go back while I'm answering the questions, I do understand it, but by that time, I can't spend too much time reading the passage. I want to increase my reading comprehension and my speed. I don't know what to do, and my MCAT is in a little over a month. Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did order all your CARS materials and I did read up to the 30th day in the schedule. I haven't been applying the tools advised though, because I was trying to boost my timing, like Nick suggested. But now, I'm still behind on timing and doing poorly on the questions. I think when I read interesting articles or books, etc., I don't find myself struggling to understand. But I truly do get bogged down by CARS passages, ESPECIALLY the harder ones (any tips?). And I really really want my CARS score to be near to perfect (131-132); what should I do if I only have a month left to prepare??
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
@TestingSolutions

Hi!

I have been following your 30 Days CARS Guide and doing what you recommend. I reached day 22 and it has helped in some ways.

First of all, English is my second language. Secondly, my vocabulary is not great. That is the reason I struggled in CARS last year on MCAT (ie 122).

I did not know how to practice CARS. Even following your 30 Day guide, I am still struggling. Timing was the issue on the first test. I have somewhat mastered the timing but with the cost of not "really" understanding the passage.

When you say read for "Structure" not "Detail", I do not completely understand how to interpret it?

Thank you.

@punk101 - Well I think it's first important to say that there are a lot of students who do excellent on the CARS who English was their second language. I know a lot of students are really intimidated by this, but you can do it if you put in the work. I have a couple of questions: 1) How many words per AAMC CARS passage do you not understand? I'd recommend taking 4 our 5 practice passages of theirs and highlight every word you're not 100% what it means. If there is more than one or two words you don't know per passage, I think that's a sign that you might need to work on your vocabulary and larger reading in English skills to see significant improvements. 2) Regarding the questions you're missing, are they spread out throughout the test evenly or are they all bunched up at the beginning or end of the test? If they're at the end, that means you're probably rushing yourself towards the end because you spent too much time at the beginning. 3) How many passages out of 9 on a practice test do you feel like you completely did not understand? Is it more than one or two?

Regarding reading for structure and not detail, the idea is to have a sense of the flow, direction, and overall organization of the passage without worrying about every little detail. The reality is that many MCATers try and remember every detail in the passage, but this is nearly impossible and also is a waste of time since the CARS is going to only ask you questions on only a fraction of the details in the passage. Furthermore, most of the questions on the CARS will not be solved by knowing a particular detail in the passage. Instead, you're going to get points by understanding the main idea behind the passage, the key arguments outlined in the passage, and the overall flow. One of the best ways to practice reading for structure is to summarize the passages as we outline in our "How to review practice tests."

Best of luck and keep us in the loop regarding your progress!

@TestingSolutions

Hi!

Thank you.

@punk101 - Well I think it's first important to say that there are a lot of students who do excellent on the CARS who English was their second language. I know a lot of students are really intimidated by this, but you can do it if you put in the work. I have a couple of questions: 1) How many words per AAMC CARS passage do you not understand? I'd recommend taking 4 our 5 practice passages of theirs and highlight every word you're not 100% what it means. If there is more than one or two words you don't know per passage, I think that's a sign that you might need to work on your vocabulary and larger reading in English skills to see significant improvements. 2) Regarding the questions you're missing, are they spread out throughout the test evenly or are they all bunched up at the beginning or end of the test? If they're at the end, that means you're probably rushing yourself towards the end because you spent too much time at the beginning. 3) How many passages out of 9 on a practice test do you feel like you completely did not understand? Is it more than one or two?

Regarding reading for structure and not detail, the idea is to have a sense of the flow, direction, and overall organization of the passage without worrying about every little detail. The reality is that many MCATers try and remember every detail in the passage, but this is nearly impossible and also is a waste of time since the CARS is going to only ask you questions on only a fraction of the details in the passage. Furthermore, most of the questions on the CARS will not be solved by knowing a particular detail in the passage. Instead, you're going to get points by understanding the main idea behind the passage, the key arguments outlined in the passage, and the overall flow. One of the best ways to practice reading for structure is to summarize the passages as we outline in our "How to review practice tests."

Best of luck and keep us in the loop regarding your progress!

@TestingSolutions

Hi!

@punk101 - The first thing you can do is to continue to practice. There isn't one thing you can do overnight that will dramatically change your timing. Gains will be gradual and you may hardly notice that your timing is improving. It could take weeks before you see a significant difference, but with more practice, you'll get used to reading passages and answering questions in the time you have. The biggest thing I can recommend is that you take all of your practice passages under timed conditions and force yourself to move on when you run out of time (even if you haven't finished). The pain of this will help you get in line with your pacing. Even if you do see a dip in your score initially, you will over time regain your ability to reason at the level you were before. The other big thing I can recommend is to not allow yourself to return to the passage after you've read through it the first time. Most people have time trouble because they continue to return to the passage over and over looking for the answers. If you don't allow yourself to go back, you'll find that your timing will improve. Finally, practice letting go of the hardest questions. Guess, mark them, and come back later. This will allow you to answer all of the easy and medium questions first. You'll find with the hard questions that you'll usually be able to eliminate one or two answer choices anyways so you've got a roughly 50% chance of getting it right with your guess. If you have time at the end, you can come back. But if you don't, you've given yourself a lot of extra time to invest on the easier questions that you're more likely to get correct. Invest wisely. Don't waste time on questions you'll probably get wrong anyway. You can miss 10 questions and still score a 128. Best of luck!

@TestingSolutions

I'm also having the same problem. Is it normal to start tanking your % correct per CARS passage after changing your strategies of reading the passages for only 4 minutes? Once, I'm on the questions, I try NOT to go back to the passage, but I feel that I'm guessing through many of the questions. Does this mean I just need more practice? Or is there something wrong with my comprehension skills?

@roxasblade - I think most people do see an initial dip in their scores. Think about it this way, if I gave you the CARS test with an infinite amount of time, you're going to do much, much better than if I gave you 90 minutes. When you squeeze yourself on the time front, you're going to see a dip in your score. But almost always, this initial dip is 1) balanced out over the full length of the 9 passages because you'll actually have a fighting chance on all of the questions instead of rushing through the last 1/3 of the test and 2) you'll likely adapt over time to the faster pace and regain your previous % correct. One of the problems with practicing with just one or two passages is that you're not seeing gains you'd make if you were taking a full-length practice test. Finishing a passage 1 minute faster than you used to isn't very noticeable for just one passage, but for 9 passages and gaining 9 minutes in total, that's worth a couple of extra points spread out over the whole test. I think you need to keep doing a lot of practice. And also, maybe consider taking a look at our special post on comprehension: What to Do When You Are Struggling to Understand a Difficult CARS Passage.

if you want to give yourself 5 minutes for the passage initially and then eventually drop down to 4 minutes down the road, I think that's fine too.

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Warmest,
Nick

Reactions: 1 user
I have done around 80 passages so far. The questions I get wrong are usually questions based off of understanding the author.

I will start doing the Day 29 Review for every passage I complete.

Thanks for the feedback!

@C013 - 80 passages is definitely getting there. I'd just encourage you to keep going. It might be tough to do the full review protocol for every passage. It might be better to 1) Review only questions that you get wrong that were troublesome while you were taking the test and 2) Only review the 2 or 3 passages each day that really gave you the most trouble. I like the 1:1 ratio. 90 minutes taking practice passages and 90 minutes reviewing practice passages. It's not essential that you review every single question. In fact, I would say I didn't review most of the passages I took. Instead, I just focused on the ones that stumped me. I think reviewing will really help with those questions that are based on the author's views.

Best of luck! Keep us updated

I've been doing a few passages almost every day for a couple of months now. And my timing is still not improving much--it takes me 5-6 minutes to read a passage. I'm getting several questions wrong per passage, though I haven't been reviewing passages, so I guess that might be a reason. But my main problem is comprehension of the passage when I read it--I think I get nervous and I don't understand what I'm reading when I read it for the first time, but when I go back while I'm answering the questions, I do understand it, but by that time, I can't spend too much time reading the passage. I want to increase my reading comprehension and my speed. I don't know what to do, and my MCAT is in a little over a month. Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did order all your CARS materials and I did read up to the 30th day in the schedule. I haven't been applying the tools advised though, because I was trying to boost my timing, like Nick suggested. But now, I'm still behind on timing and doing poorly on the questions. I think when I read interesting articles or books, etc., I don't find myself struggling to understand. But I truly do get bogged down by CARS passages, ESPECIALLY the harder ones (any tips?). And I really really want my CARS score to be near to perfect (131-132); what should I do if I only have a month left to prepare??
Thank you in advance.

@eliza12345 - I can't really give you a magic bullet to get you to the 131 range in less than a month. I can give you some advice regarding improving your timing and comprehension. The first thing I'd recommend if you've been doing passages for months and still haven't improved your timing is to set two times whenever you do a CARS passage. Set one timer for the overall time interval based on the number of questions. (5q = 9 minutes, 6q = 10.5 minutes, 7q = 12 minutes) and the second timer, I'd recommend you set for 4.5 minutes. When the 4.5 minute timer goes off, you have to move on from reading the passage. Even if you haven't finished. And you CANNOT go back to the passage when answering the questions. PERIOD. The reality is that even if you're spending 5 minutes reading the passage, (which is 45 minutes of passage reading for the whole test), that still gives you 45 minutes to answer 53 questions, which is roughly 50 seconds per question. Which really isn't that bad. The reason you're struggling on the timing is 1) You're spending too much time reading the passage, 2) You're going back to the passage while answering questions and 3) You're not letting go of the hard questions. When you have a hard question that youv'e already spent two minutes on, it's time to mark that question. Guess. And come back at the end if you have time.

As to improving your comprehension for passages, I think some of the tips we outline here might help:
What to Do When You Are Struggling to Understand a Difficult CARS Passage.

Let us know how things are progressing. Best of luck!

What averages should I be looking for TS exams? Pretty much I'm asking whether TS grading scale is inflated, deflated, or accurate?

also how are application questions and implication questions different?

Last edited:
how do i maintain my mental energy.. i easily get drained while like quarter way thru the passage. how do i do that 10 second break in between passages?

Hi TestingSolutions, thanks for answering all the questions on this forum, they've provided great insights here and there.

I've got another question about your material! I bought all of your tests, and have found them quite useful in preparing for the difficult passages on the MCAT. But here is the thing with some of them. I just attempted at Test #5 Passage 7, the one about "universal religion". Please tell me how is anybody able to grasp this passage without actual background knowledge in this literature? I literally cannot understand and therefore keep track of what this passage is about. It was all a blurr, even though I knew every single word in the passage but it was impossible to understand in the context of the topic. I have read your other post about how to improve comprehension, and still I don't see how that will help me on something like this passage. This is the second or third time I encountered such a passage in TS (1-5) so far.

How did you approach and understand this passage? When I encounter esoteric passages like this, I don't know what is important and should be retained, as a result I always end up 100% clueless when it comes to the questions! Am I limited by this weakness to do well on CARS?

By the way, my exam is in a few weeks, and I'm having serious doubts of getting into medical school in Canada...

Your response is much appreciated!
Cheers

Last edited:
@SweetSunshine2001 - It really depends on how much time you're able to invest and how easy you pick it up. I've seen people make a great deal of progress in a month. My recommendation would be for you to do 4 or 5 passages a day for the next week. Set the timer for one passage at a time, thus for a 5 question passage give yourself 9 minutes, a 6 question passage - 10.5 minutes, and a 7 question passage - 12 minutes. Read the passage thoroughly and then don't let yourself go back to the passage for anything until you've answered all the questions within the time interval. If you have time left for that passage, you can go back. When time's up, move on to the next passage and reset the timer. I suspect you'll see big gains on your scores once you get your pacing down and this is an easy way to do that in a short period of time. Best of luck and thanks for your questions!

@mheard92 - Thanks for your comment. I've never had a student who didn't see improvement when employing these strategies. I have no doubt that they'll work for you too!

..::..

Day 5 – How to Approach the MCAT CARS Section – The Passage

Have you done your passage today? Do it! In two short days, we’ll be starting two-a-days, so enjoy the break while it lasts!

The Passage

Today, we’re going to start a mini-series on how to best read for the MCAT CARS section. This is one of the most important topics that we’ll cover in this entire series. Besides mastering the right pace, how a student approaches reading the passages is the most critical skill to develop. There is so much crap out there about how to approach the CARS section that students are left drowning in a sea of fecal matter. As you learned yesterday in the, “Do's and Don’ts” of MCAT CARS there is a lot of junk out there, so your best bet is to see if you can find the courage to let go of your preconceived notions about the CARS section and start with a clean slate. I promise you that I have seen the approach I’m about to explain to you work for hundreds of students. It is simple and easy to do. It’s not fancy or complicated. It’s got five steps, and if you do these repeatedly, they’ll become old hat within the week. But before I go into the Testing Solutions’ approach to reading CARS passages, I want to say one more thing about timing.

The reason you are having trouble finishing the CARS section has nothing to do with your reading speed or how long you’re taking to read the passages.”

The time crunch almost every MCATer faces early on when starting to practice for the CARS has nothing to do with reading passages. NOTHING! Let me explain:

There are 9 passages on the CARS section. Each passage is a maximum of 600 words. Thus,

9 X 600 words = 5,400 words

Now, the average reading speed for an adult is 300 words per minute. Thus,

5,400 words / 300 words per minute = 18 minutes

Just in case that hasn’t sunk in, I’ll say it again, it would take the average adult just 18 minutes to read all 9 of the passages on the CARS section. Even if you read at half the rate of an average adult (150 words per minute), you’d still have 54 minutes remaining to answer the 53 questions. If you’re having trouble finishing on time, it isn’t because of how you’re reading the passage. I’ll go into how to fix this problem below. Let’s take a look at the steps to passage reading success.

The Testing Solutions’ Approach to Reading CARS Passages:

Step 1: Stop before every passage (including the first one!), close your eyes, and take three deep, slow breaths. Count inside your head (oneeeeee) on the inhale through your nose, and then slowly exhale through your mouth. Repeat and count twoooooo. And finally, repeat for threeee. Notice any sensations in your chest, stomach, or mouth as you breathe. Try to watch your breath. I know you might be rolling your eyes, but this clears your mental ram and allows you to let go of the previous passage or the stress of starting a new section. Don’t be the person who springs into the first passage and “reads” the first passage without realizing what’s going on. You’ll have to start over, and you’ll be beating yourself up for the rest of the test for the wasted time. Take three deep, slow breaths before every passage (including the first one!).

Step 2: Do the passages in order. Don’t skip around. Some companies out there recommend a “Now or Later” approach where in your preview, you decide if you’re going to do the passage now or come back later. If you want to score in the 127 to 129 range (a competitive CARS score) you are going to have to do well on every passage. Don’t waste time trying to figure out whether it’s going to be an easy or hard passage for you. Often, CARS passages which are difficult to read have easy questions and easy passages have difficult questions. It is impossible to determine in 10 to 15 seconds whether you’re going to have a hard time with a passage or not. Buckle down and do the passages in order, one right after another. Do the passages in order.

Step 3: Take 10 to 15 seconds and preview the passage. Your only goal is to realize the topic of the passage. Is it a history passage? Or one about philosophy? Where’s it going? What’s it about in the most general of terms. I’d recommend reading the first sentence of every paragraph. So often, CARS passages start off seeming like they’re about one thing when two paragraphs down you realize they’re about something completely different. The surprise can be jarring and cause a loss of retention. Take 10 to 15 seconds to preview the passage!

Step 4: Read the passage slowly and thoroughly. DON’T SKIM! You need to understand what you’re reading, even if you have to spend a little extra time. On the other hand, don’t try to master every detail as 80% of what you read in the passage will not be referenced by the questions. As you read the passage, read for structure, not detail. The details will be there if you need them. As you read the passage, ask yourself continually these three questions:

1) Why did the author write this?
2) Where is the author likely to go?
3) Which kinds of questions might I expect?​

Read actively. Engage with the material. Lie to yourself and tell yourself this passage is the most interesting thing you’ve ever read. Formulate the “Why” of “Why did the author take the time to write this.” Above all, Read the passage slowly and thoroughly, and DON’T SKIM, EVER!

Step 5: If you are not finishing with time to spare on your CARS practice tests (i.e. you haven’t mastered the CARS pacing yet), you cannot, and I repeat cannot go back to the passage after you finish reading it. Read through the passage once, slowly and thoroughly, and then you’re done with looking at the passage. Move on and answer the questions. The reason students have so much time trouble on the CARS section is because they spend three or four times the amount of time they should going back to the passage trying to look up the answers. We’ll go over when and how to go back to the passage later, but know that the MCAT rarely asks hunt and find questions. They want you to be able to grasp the gist of the passage, not word search answers. Once your timing is under control and you're regularly finishing, then you can start to go back to the passage sparingly, but not until then. If you’re not finishing the CARS section with time to spare, don’t go back to the passage when answering questions until you’ve answered them all. Then go back to the ones you marked if you have time at the end.

A Short Review:

In shorter form:

Step 1: Take three deep, slow breaths before every passage (including the first one!)
Step 2: Do the passages in order.
Step 3: Take 10 to 15 seconds to preview the passage.
Step 4: Read the passage slowly and thoroughly. Don’t SKIM!
Step 5: If you haven’t mastered your pacing yet, don’t go back to the passage until you’ve answered all the questions once through!

Great job today! Start integrating these five steps into your daily passages from here on out. We’ll continue taking a look at how to approach CARS passages tomorrow. Until then!

Today's Assignment: Do One CARS Passage Under Timed Conditions

Last Time We'll Say this. We Promise! - TIP: For those of you who will be going through this guide on a daily basis, it can be time consuming to find the correct day's post due to all the questions. We've created a "Table of Contents" PDF which has links to each post. You can use the PDF to jump directly to the post you're on. Download your "Table of Contents" here! If you don't want to bother with reading this guide on SDN, our Practice Test Bundle includes a high quality PDF version of this guide as an added bonus. Check it out here!

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.” – Swami Vivekananda

@TestingSolutions

Thank you so much for this guide! Improved my CARS score from a 122 last summer to a 128 this summer on June 29 MCAT. I used solely this guide and threw away all my Kaplan CARS noteboooks. I wish I knew about this guide last summer, as CARS was the only thing holding my score back from being competitive. Thanks to this guide I have a decent shot next year with my 512!

@mikeman1994 - How are things going? I think one of the most difficult things about using multiple resources is that it's hard to know what an EK 128 means in terms of a TPR 126 in terms of a Kaplan 129. It's probably not a bad idea to use a variety of resources (assuming you have the time and energy to do so) because everyone that isn't the AAMC (including us) is just giving you their best guess as to what the CARS is like. Now granted, some companies have much better materials than others, but nonetheless, the only place that's going to give you a true representation of where you're at is the AAMC. I wouldn't worry too much about your percentage corrects plus or minus 10% with other materials. Use those materials to practice your timing and strategies. Then, when you get to the place where you're ready to put it all into practice, that's the time to use the AAMC materials to perfect your CARS. I wouldn't pay too much attention to scores until then. Please let us know how things are going! Best, Nick

Hi Nick,
So I think I finished 7 practice test from Testing Solutions and score usually hovers around 20-24 correct, so it is usually around 121-122 with the score conversion. It has been like this for over 4 months or so! I took the AAMC FL1 on 5/31/2017 and my CARS was 122. I took the AAMC FL2 on 8/14/2017 and my CARS was 121. This worries me considering I will be taking my MCAT by the end of the week. I was originally scheduled for June 2017, but my anxiety was too much so I decided to take it and void my score, which did improve my anxiety. Now, I need to review the AAMC FL 2 and see if I have time to complete the CARS section test published by the AAMC.
On the plus side, my timing is close to as perfect as it could be. I might have to rush with the last question rarely, but overall I'm within my limits.
Thanks

I am very much struggling. Someone from Cambridge learning center recommended taking a course in rhetoric, symbolic logic, and grammar. Would this be beneficial if I'm not doign well at all.

I'm lost on where to start with 7 months until my exam. Any advice?

Can someone link me to 'Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT Practice Tests 1 – 5'?

I searched EK's site and either I'm blind or it's not there anymore...

What averages should I be looking for TS exams? Pretty much I'm asking whether TS grading scale is inflated, deflated, or accurate?

also how are application questions and implication questions different?

@Montana7000 - Terribly sorry for my slow response. I'm a 2nd year at Stanford and things have be insane. The short answer to your question is that our tests are anywhere between 10% and 15% than what you'll face on test day. Our questions and passages are not harder. What we do is include higher number of hard passages per practice test. A standard AAMC will have roughly 2 hard, 4 medium and 3 easy. Our tests currently are more 3 hard, 5 medium, and 1 easy. Early on in our company's history, our practice tests were much, much hardier. Somewhere around 25% hardier. Our intentions were good, thinking that when you practice with a higher number of hard passages per test you'll be well prepared for test day. This is true, but it also can be very demoralizing. So we did a major reorganization of our tests, edited passages, removed passages, and added new passages, so as to bring the percentage down to something more manageable. So when I say 10-15% hardier, that means that someone that would score a 70% on ours would likely score around an 80%-85% on the real MCAT. I write this a lot in this guide, but you have to be very careful about using non-AAMC prep materials to gauge your performance. All test prep companies are doing is giving you their best estimation of what the MCAT is going to be like. Obviously, some estimations are better than others. I believe our passages and questions mirror the real MCAT better than any other company out there, if I didn't, we wouldn't be in business. And we also would have 430+ 4.5 star reviews on Amazon. But with all of that self-aggrandizement aside, we're still giving you our best estimation. If you really want to know how you're doing, you need to take 5 or 6 AAMC CARS passages from the AAMC.

As to your question regarding application and implication questions, they are similar as they both are "Reasoning Beyond the Text" questions, but the big difference is that an Application question asks you to apply passage information to a particular situation. "How would the author likely feel about investments in all-day kindergarten?" In the strictest sense, this is an implication, but how we use the term "Application" question, the keys are that it be an unstated, necessary conclusion regarding a particular situation or issue. Implication questions as we use the term are ones that are more general and unconnected to a particular concrete situation outside the question or passage. For example, "The author likely believes which of the following: Hamburgers are better than pizza." Notice that this answer is much more general, it's a statement of a principle or belief. There are no concrete connections to the world outside of the question or passage that "Hamburgers are better than pizza" relates to. It's just a belief or a principle. Whereas Application questions require you to apply what you know of the author's beliefs to concrete situations. Both are unstated, necessary conclusions, but Application questions are concrete applications whereas Implication questions are general statements of principles.

Hope this helps! Best of luck on your MCAT and please let us know how we can help!

how do i maintain my mental energy.. i easily get drained while like quarter way thru the passage. how do i do that 10 second break in between passages?

@eliza12345 - Sorry for being such a slowmoe to respond. I've been buried in work at school and have just now been able to come up for air. Maintaining mental energy is an issue for everyone. It's not normal or common to have to sit down for 90 minutes and reason like a madperson thinking about such a range of topics and being asked such weird questions about said topics. I think the best way to build up to this is by doing what we call the stair stepping. Here's a brief post I wrote about it:

Many people begin their CARS preparations by taking a full-length CARS practice test. They try to take 9 passages in 90 minutes and most frequently end up not getting to the last passage or two, feeling rushed and exhausted by the end. They then are subsequently devastated by their score and thus begin their foray into preparing for the CARS section with a great deal of discouragement and disappointment. It doesn’t have to be this way.

As I said before, the CARS section is unlike anything you’ve ever done before, so it’s far better to ease yourself into it and build up over time than trying to start at max force. The CARS section is like a marathon and in this regard, it will eat up and spit out anyone who just tries to get up one day off the couch and run 26.2 miles. By giving yourself plenty of time to prepare for the CARS, you’ll be able to do more passages and also acclimate to each new stair step of difficulty and required stamina before pushing on to the next. This is a general principle that can be used by anyone that is four weeks out or more from their test date, but for those of you who have more time, try something like this:

Week 1: Do one passage per day at the recommended timing intervals, timing each passage separately.

Week 2:
Do two passages per day at the recommended timing intervals, timing each passage separately.

Week 3:
Do three passages per day at the recommended timing intervals, timing each passage separately.

Week 4:
Do four passages per day at the recommended timing intervals, doing the passages in two, two passage blocks. (e.g. If Passage 1 has 5 questions and Passage 2 has 6 questions, give yourself a total of 19.5 minutes to complete both. Repeat for the second block of passages.)

Week 5:
Do six passages per day at the recommended timing intervals, doing the passages in two, three passage blocks.

Week 6:
Do eight passages per day at the recommended timing intervals, doing the passages in two, four passage blocks.

Week 7 & Onward:
Do a full-length practice test every other day, reviewing the previous day’s test on your off days.

And that’s it! We hope that you will found some of these ideas useful for your CARS preparations. Start implementing these changes today and you’ll be on the road to the CARS score you need to get into the school you want!

Hi TestingSolutions, thanks for answering all the questions on this forum, they've provided great insights here and there.

I've got another question about your material! I bought all of your tests, and have found them quite useful in preparing for the difficult passages on the MCAT. But here is the thing with some of them. I just attempted at Test #5 Passage 7, the one about "universal religion". Please tell me how is anybody able to grasp this passage without actual background knowledge in this literature? I literally cannot understand and therefore keep track of what this passage is about. It was all a blurr, even though I knew every single word in the passage but it was impossible to understand in the context of the topic. I have read your other post about how to improve comprehension, and still I don't see how that will help me on something like this passage. This is the second or third time I encountered such a passage in TS (1-5) so far.

How did you approach and understand this passage? When I encounter esoteric passages like this, I don't know what is important and should be retained, as a result I always end up 100% clueless when it comes to the questions! Am I limited by this weakness to do well on CARS?

By the way, my exam is in a few weeks, and I'm having serious doubts of getting into medical school in Canada...

Your response is much appreciated!
Cheers

@canadianCARS - I'm really sorry for my slow response. I'm a 2nd yr at Stanford and just getting destroyed right now by renal. I'm stuffing so many kidney facts in my head that I'm worried I'm going to turn into one!

As to your particular questions regarding background knowledge, this may be a point where we have to agree to disagree. We're pretty careful with what we include in our passages and the truth is that some material that's going to be on the MCAT is very dense, convoluted, and complicated. I know what particular passage you're talking about regarding "Universal Religion" and it is a very hard one, in fact, probably one of the most difficult we have in our whole suite of passages. With that said, I think there's a tendency with difficult passages to think, "Well I'm just not smart enough or don't know enough to answer these questions." The reality is that 99% of people who are going to take that passage on test day are going to feel the same way. The MCAT is a scaled test based on the performance of everyone that takes the test the same day you do. If you think a passage is hard, almost everyone is going to think it's hard. These are the passages where you get to set yourself ahead of the pack. Most people will cross their arms and give up. Not you! You realize it's one of "those" passages and you start to fight like your life depends on it. Give yourself a little extra time for passages like these. Act like you're climbing a mountain, look for handholds. Even if you only understand 40% of the passage, most people will only get 10%. Pause to try and summarize what you've read. If you've got your pacing down and sped through the easier passages, you'll have given yourself the time you need to handle these more difficult passages.

Best of luck on your MCAT and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

@TestingSolutions

Thank you so much for this guide! Improved my CARS score from a 122 last summer to a 128 this summer on June 29 MCAT. I used solely this guide and threw away all my Kaplan CARS noteboooks. I wish I knew about this guide last summer, as CARS was the only thing holding my score back from being competitive. Thanks to this guide I have a decent shot next year with my 512!

@Cellbio45 - Thank you so much!! Really appreciate your kind words! Please it us know if there's anything we can do to help as you prepare for your 512+ score this year :)

We created a feedback/review thread on SDN for users to express their thoughts on our guide and products. If you at all think we've been helpful, we'd really appreciate you posting: SDN Reviews of Testing Solutions' Guide & Practice Tests

Best of luck on all you do and on the MCAT in particular! You're almost there!!

Hi Nick,
So I think I finished 7 practice test from Testing Solutions and score usually hovers around 20-24 correct, so it is usually around 121-122 with the score conversion. It has been like this for over 4 months or so! I took the AAMC FL1 on 5/31/2017 and my CARS was 122. I took the AAMC FL2 on 8/14/2017 and my CARS was 121. This worries me considering I will be taking my MCAT by the end of the week. I was originally scheduled for June 2017, but my anxiety was too much so I decided to take it and void my score, which did improve my anxiety. Now, I need to review the AAMC FL 2 and see if I have time to complete the CARS section test published by the AAMC.
On the plus side, my timing is close to as perfect as it could be. I might have to rush with the last question rarely, but overall I'm within my limits.
Thanks

@mikeman1994 - I know it can be frustrating to invest so much time and not see the results you want. I think it's really positive that your timing is good, but now we need to start working on some of the other skills. My advice would be 1) Take a look at these two posts in particular and check to see how much you're doing of what we recommend: Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Full-Length Practice Test & Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test. 2) I'd recommend you be careful not burning through all your AAMC CARS passages until you are absolutely sure you're going to be ready to take the CARS. I know this response is a little late, but burning through the 40 passages in the AAMC's two CARS question packs the week before your MCAT isn't probably a good idea. One, the major benefit from doing CARS passages is methodically practicing reviewing the thinking and style of the passages and questions and two, if your test doesn't go well (and if you're not feeling great about it a week before, it might not), then you've used up all of your very best practice passages for an attempt that wasn't likely to go well in the first place. I don't want to be a Debbie downer, and if you've already taken your MCAT then just ignore what I'm saying, but the #1 thing that contributes to a great MCAT score is giving yourself the time and space to do the hard work you need to do well. Rushing on the MCAT studying hardly ever works.

If you have more questions or would like to talk more about your current situation, please write back and we can figure out where to go from here. Best of luck!

I am very much struggling. Someone from Cambridge learning center recommended taking a course in rhetoric, symbolic logic, and grammar. Would this be beneficial if I'm not doign well at all.

I've heard mixed reviews about this course. If it helps you, go for it! But anything that mentions "rhetoric, symbolic logic, and grammar" as ingredients for doing well on the CARs makes me a little suspicious. In the hundreds of students I've helped, my own preparations and success on the MCAT, and the MCAT success of my colleagues here at Stanford, I've never heard of such items as being useful. So my advice would be that it would not be useful. But it doesn't hurt to take a look at a couple of their videos in case it might help you!

Best of luck on your MCAT!

I'm lost on where to start with 7 months until my exam. Any advice?

@Dhooy7 - For someone 7 months out, here are my recommendations:

1) Make sure you destory your pre-med pre-reqs. Don't waste your time studying for the MCAT while you should be studying for those classes. A) This will help you on the MCAT if you really understand the material and B) You have to have a very strong GPA to be competitive at most schools. You need a great GPA and a great MCAT, or at the very least, you want those to give you the best chance of getting in.
2) Don't neglect extracurricular opportunities or research for studying for the MCAT. Most people can do well on the MCAT with 3 to 4 months of concentrated study. Anything too far outside that will almost certainly have opportunity costs for other things you couldn't do.
3) 7 to 5 Months before your test, start reading a couple of articles from the NYT, Economist or the Atlantic. I don't recommend this to anyone that's within a 4-month window, but practicing reading and thinking about unfamiliar topics can be useful if you're far enough out from your test.
4) 4 Months out, complete this guide.
5) In your last 3 months, do as many CARS passages as you can.

Best of luck!

@Dhooy7 - For someone 7 months out, here are my recommendations:

1) Make sure you destory your pre-med pre-reqs. Don't waste your time studying for the MCAT while you should be studying for those classes. A) This will help you on the MCAT if you really understand the material and B) You have to have a very strong GPA to be competitive at most schools. You need a great GPA and a great MCAT, or at the very least, you want those to give you the best chance of getting in.
2) Don't neglect extracurricular opportunities or research for studying for the MCAT. Most people can do well on the MCAT with 3 to 4 months of concentrated study. Anything too far outside that will almost certainly have opportunity costs for other things you couldn't do.
3) 7 to 5 Months before your test, start reading a couple of articles from the NYT, Economist or the Atlantic. I don't recommend this to anyone that's within a 4-month window, but practicing reading and thinking about unfamiliar topics can be useful if you're far enough out from your test.
4) 4 Months out, complete this guide.
5) In your last 3 months, do as many CARS passages as you can.

Best of luck!
I graduated college already and got a 3.98 at my community college and a 3.957 at my 4-year university for 1.5 years, but now I have to prepare for the MCAT which is going to be extremely difficult. Thanks for the help!

@Dhooy7 - Oh...well you're all set then! Awesome job....seriously, Awesome job! Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help!

@Dhooy7 - Oh...well you're all set then! Awesome job....seriously, Awesome job! Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help!
I'm really struggling with CARs passages. I'm debating about what I should do. My comprehension is not the best. I keep doing poorly on CARs like 3/7 or only half right. Sometimes lower. I'm reading the 30 day guide. Any advice? Sometimes I read the answers and am completely clueless on why the answer it the way it is. I'm working with my english professor. Some articles really get me and I read it and don't understand anything.

I'm trying whatever I read online, but can't seem to find anything that works.

@Dhooy7 - Try checking out this post: What to Do When You Are Struggling to Understand a Difficult CARS Passage. I think we offer some good tips for what to do when you're in this situation. Do you feel this way about all reading or just CARS reading? If it's the former, you may need to invest a significant amount of time in developing your reading abilities before moving on to CARS. Fortunately, you've got a lot of time before you want to take your MCAT so there is time for such work. Read through that post and see if any of the tips help! Best of luck!

Hi,
I am very interested in the 2018 MCAT CARS Master Course. Before I purchase the T1-12 bundle, I have a few concerns that I would like addressed:

1) Will I be able to take exams untimed?
2) Do you have to take the entire exam in order to see the solutions? I am planning to divide tests by parts and only do a few passages a day as the 90 day guide suggests.
3) Would we still have access to the amazon kindle tests? Having the kindle version would solve this problem addressed in #2.
4) Are you able to print out the exam so you can highlight the keywords?
5) Who do I contact to receive the $10 rebate after leaving a review?

Thank you for your response.

Hi,
I bought the new MCAT 2018 MCAT CARS Master Course. Could you disable the timer for me? I have testing accommodations and take the test with 50% extra time. In addition, I want to divide the test up in parts as suggested in the 90 day guide. I also do not want to see the answer when I review the exams as suggested in the 90 day guide. When reviewing the exam, I would like to rework the passage as suggested in the 90 day guide. Would it be possible if you could just give me the amazon kindle version of the T1-12 exams? I think this is the only feasible way to make this possible. Thank you.

Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Practice Test

So, we've done quite a bit over these last few weeks to build your CARS intuition in terms of pacing, how to read and break-down CARS passages, and the kinds of questions and answer choices you'll face on test day. Some of what I've suggested has been good for practicing but isn't the best for when you're actually taking the actual MCAT on test day or when you are taking your practice exams. Today, I'm going to review the key points in how to approach taking a full-length CARS practice test. You can download a summary tip sheet on how to take a CARS test here. I recommend printing it off and keeping it by you for your first few full-lengths so you can easily reference it to make sure you're remembering all the tips we've given you. You shouldn't even think about taking a full-length CARS practice test if your timing isn't solid.

Do's and Don'ts:

Here's a list of the key strategy points for actually taking a CARS Practice Test.

- Take three breaths before every passage.

- Do the passages in order. Do not read the questions before the passages.

- Do not take notes on the passages or use the highlighting tool, except in the rarest of cases, such as to note a particular position, idea, or key term. Taking notes or highlighting distracts you from the flow of the passage and will break up your reading rate. Furthermore, you want to be developing your ability to understand the passage in a holistic way. If half of your ideas about the passage are written down, a quarter are highlighted in the passage, and the remaining quarter is in your head, you'll literally be all over the place. Don't do it. Wean yourself off note taking and passage highlighting. One or two per passage max and zero is preferred.

- Mark hard questions!
I mentioned this strategy early in the series, but I'll mention it again. The first time you have the thought, "Hey I'm spending a lot of time on this question" look at the clock and give yourself 30 more seconds. In those 30 seconds, eliminate any answer choices you can. After 30 seconds, mark the question, make a guess and say to yourself "I'll come back to this once I get the easy ones." Remember the only question that will keep you out of medical school is the one you spend too much time on.

- When you have your pacing down, you should be spending only 3 to 4 minutes reading the passage. If you are taking much more time than that to read a passage, you need to do more individual passages, as your pacing isn't where it should be to actually take a full CARS test. This will leave you roughly a minute per question.

- Only voluntarily look at the clock 1 time! I know this is so hard for test takers, but it's really the best way to do it. Look at the clock after you finish the 6th passage. You should have close to 35 minutes left. If you don't, it's time to speed up. Don't wait until your last passage to try and make up for lost time. You'll barely notice shaving off a minute from each of your remaining passages, but try and take three minutes off your last passage, and you'll probably miss at least half the questions. Look at the clock after you finish the 6th passage, you should have 35 minutes left.

- You should continue to push yourself on your practice tests and passages. Just because you've got your pacing down doesn't mean you can rest. The best MCATers actually take the CARS slightly faster than the pace we've been training at. It's easier to shave off those last few minutes, so that's why I set the goals I do for you early on, but now that you've got those down, it's time to push yourself. Your goal should try to finish your first pass of the CARS section by the 5-minute warning, giving you plenty of time to go back to the questions you marked.

- After you finish your first pass of the CARS section (hopefully by the 5-minute warning mark) before going to your marked questions, click the review button and make sure you have an answer choice selected for every question. When I was taking my AAMC practice tests, on three different tests, I had accidentally not selected an answer even though I had done the question. Don't let this happen to you!

Emergency 1# – Nooo! I've got 4 or more passages left but less than 30 minutes!

Sometimes timing problems come up despite our best preparations. I know for me, despite doing many practice tests and working very hard to perfect my timing, on test day, I took probably 20% longer per passage than I usually did. I felt like I couldn't trust myself because this was the real thing. I spent more time rereading and double checking than usual. Luckily, I had trained myself to do the CARS passages faster than I needed to, so even with my taking more time, my pacing was in the sweet spot. What happens though if you took too long on your first 4 or 5 passages and are now staring down 4 or 5 passages with not enough time left?

The first step is to stop and take three deep breaths. Many students will realize their dire situation, panic, and then burn through 10 questions in 10 minutes without thinking before they then settle down and finish the rest of the test. Right there in those 10 minutes, they've ruined their MCAT, because they likely missed 6 or 7 out of those 10 questions. Don't do this. Calm yourself. Focus on your breath. This will take 10 or 15 seconds at most, but will be worth a great deal more if you prevent a major meltdown. It's the best possible way to spend those first 10 or 15 seconds.

The second step is to pick up your pace now, not later. Many students will continue along with their normal pacing for the next two or three passages hoping their situation will miraculously change. They then get to the 8th passage and realize that nothing has changed and are then forced to speed through the last two. This doesn't work either for the same reason that the 10 questions in 10 minutes panic doesn't work. You cannot rush that many questions and expect to do well. So what do you do? Well first, you've got to accept your situation. You're behind on time. You're going to miss more questions than you would have. You're not going to be able to do the rest of the CARS section like you would have otherwise. You're going to have to pick up the pace slightly, so your best bet is to pick up the pace on the passage in front of you. Push yourself now and catch up on time. Read only the first sentence of every paragraph and then move on to the questions. Answer these questions the best you can, marking all of them as you go. This will be the first passage you come back to if you have time at the end of the test, but even if you don't have time, at least you gave yourself a fighting chance on these questions because of the rough outline you constructed by reading the first sentences of each passage. This is so much better than just randomly guessing, especially if you've developed some sense of the wrong answer pathologies we've already discussed.

On the next passage, read only the first and last sentences of each paragraph and then move on to the questions. You're not going to feel like you know enough to answer the questions well, but you will probably still get somewhere around 60% to 70% correct which is a lot better than 30% or 40% of the 10 questions in the 10 minutes panic. Plus, you give yourself the possibility of coming back if you have time.

If you do this for your first two passages post-panic, you will likely be back on track for your last two or three passages. Still push yourself through these last few passages, but approach them like you would normal passages under normal timed conditions. Hopefully, you'll finish early and have time to go back to one of the two rushed passages and pick up another couple of points, but even if you can't, your timing crisis will likely only cost you 2 to 4 questions instead of 6 to 8, this can be the difference between scoring a 127 and a 124.

Finally, unless you're answering the questions of the 9th passage (I said answering the questions, not reading the 9th passage), no matter what you're doing or how close you are to answering the question in front of you or finishing the passage you're currently reading, at the five minute warning, stop whatever you're doing and go through the rest of the test and mark a guess for each answer choice. I've had students who got so absorbed in what they were doing after the 5-minute warning that they ended up leaving the last passage blank because they ran out of time. There is no excuse for this.

Emergency #2 – Acts of God:

So a ceiling tile falls and hits you on the head, you panic and vomit on your keyboard, you realize you aren't wearing pants, or worse that you haven't worn pants since beginning your studying for the MCAT. If any of the above occur, it's time to void. If on any section of the MCAT, you feel like you had a breakdown on 3 or 4 passages or had to out and out guess on a significant number of questions (8+) you really want to consider voiding. These kinds of catastrophic breakdowns make scoring even an average score very difficult to nearly impossible. If you have one of the above occur to you on test day, your chances of scoring in the 505+ range are very low. I know having to void your MCAT is discouraging, but it's better to take the MCAT when you're prepared than to put the extra pressure on yourself of having a bad score on the books. Don't consider voiding until you complete a section. Then after you've gotten through the section and time has expired, stop and calm yourself down. Then decide whether or not you're going to void based on your performance in that section. Don't have a wait and see approach of “Well, maybe I'll do better on the other sections.” It's very difficult to evaluate how you're doing on the MCAT while you're taking the MCAT besides knowing if you're bombing. The worst thing that could happen is that you bomb a section, feel like you did well on another section to make up for it and then decide not to void at the end of the test because you over estimated how well you did on your bombed section. Then scores are released, and you're devastated at your low score. Don't let this happen to you. Make the void decision immediately after the section you're worried about.

This is the one thing I do not understand about many premeds who take the MCAT with the mentality that if they don't do well, they can always take it again. There is a great deal wrong with this approach. First, nearly all admissions committees in the US take previous MCAT scores into account when evaluating your application. Old scores may not count for as much as new scores, but if you've got two applicants who each scored 512 and have similar applications, but one got a 500 on his first attempt, who do you think they're going to pick for the last slot? Second, and this is by far more important, the MCAT is already an incredibly high stakes test. If you didn't do well on your first time attempt, YOU HAVE to do well on your second if you want to stand any chance of getting in. There really aren't third chances when it comes to the MCAT or med school admissions. I think I've only heard of one or two cases in my many years involved with MCAT prep when students taking the MCAT a 3rd time matriculated. Don't put that kind of pressure on yourself. Don't sit for the MCAT if you're not ready Don't sit for the MCAT if you haven't scored within 2 or 3 points of the lowest composite score you'd be happy with two weeks out from your test date. If you haven't, it's time to push the date back, look at which parts of your studying plan didn't work, and then get to back to the grind. It will suck right now, but five years from now, you won't even remember.

Think of a reschedule as a low 1st attempt. It didn't work out, so you've got to start again, however, this time, you've got the advantage of all the studying you did up until that point. The moral of the story is “don't rush taking the MCAT.”

There's a great thread about not rushing to take the MCAT here on SDN. If your test day is approaching and you're thinking about rescheduling or if you're thinking of biting off a little bit too much while studying, I highly recommend you read the thread.

We're almost done. Keep it up! Want a summary tip sheet of today's post? Download it here! Don't forget to do your four passages today! See you tomorrow!

Today's Assignment: Do Five CARS Passages Consecutively, Under Timed Conditions

Nothing tastes better than knowing there was nothing more you could have done. Leave nothing on the table.” – Anonymous

how much time should we spend doing the 5 passages? since you said 35 minutes should be left by the end of the 6th passage? Could you give us a rough time for 4 or 5 passages?

when do students typically see their scores start to improve? so far i have been using the TPR course passages (planning on getting the others practices soon) and i've been consistently getting half the questions wrong.. although i am starting week 2 today it's a little discouraging :/ my exam is in january so i still have time to dedicate to this. i am able to finish reading the passage in the allotted time which is an improvement, so thank you for your suggestions so far!

Hi,
I bought the new MCAT 2018 MCAT CARS Master Course. Could you disable the timer for me? I have testing accommodations and take the test with 50% extra time. In addition, I want to divide the test up in parts as suggested in the 90 day guide. I also do not want to see the answer when I review the exams as suggested in the 90 day guide. When reviewing the exam, I would like to rework the passage as suggested in the 90 day guide. Would it be possible if you could just give me the amazon kindle version of the T1-12 exams? I think this is the only feasible way to make this possible. Thank you.

Hi! I believe we've talked and got you your solution, but please let us know if you have any more questions! Best of luck!

how much time should we spend doing the 5 passages? since you said 35 minutes should be left by the end of the 6th passage? Could you give us a rough time for 4 or 5 passages?

@mKmmx - I recommend you just add up the time for the five passages. So if you have two 5 question passages (9min * 2 passages = 18 mins) + two 6 question passages (10.5 min * 2 passages = 21 mins) + one 7 question passage (12 mins) for a total of 41 minutes. You should base the time you give yourself off the number of questions in each passage not just the number of passages. Five 5 question passages require significantly less time than five 7 question passages. Just add up the time and use that. Does that make sense?

when do students typically see their scores start to improve? so far i have been using the TPR course passages (planning on getting the others practices soon) and i've been consistently getting half the questions wrong.. although i am starting week 2 today it's a little discouraging :/ my exam is in january so i still have time to dedicate to this. i am able to finish reading the passage in the allotted time which is an improvement, so thank you for your suggestions so far!

Hey @Heyheyhey_itsa - Unfortunately, CARS practice can be a long slog before you start seeing significant improvements. You have plenty of time before your January. Consistent, well-timed practice adds up. I think if you've been doing only two weeks worth of practice, you're still in the warm-up phase. If you're still getting only half of the questions correct after another four weeks, then I think I'd start to worry that something is off. My recommendations would be 1) do a little bit of practice 6 days a week. That's a lot better than practicing once a week but doing a lot. And 2) Ramping up the number of passages you do each day slowly and gradually over time.

And that's great about finishing the passages in time. Every victory counts! Slow gains add up over time. You'll get there. Just keep it up!

Thanks so much for your time and effort!!

I’m right now at day 15, and for each passage completed I’ve been doing the keyword review. If I am getting the timing right, can I start reviewing the way you laid out during the last week (day 26-29), or should I wait till the day26 and continue doing keywords review for now?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your time and effort!!

I’m right now at day 15, and for each passage completed I’ve been doing the keyword review. If I am getting the timing right, can I start reviewing the way you laid out during the last week (day 26-29), or should I wait till the day26 and continue doing keywords review for now?

Thanks!

@MamamLR - Thank you for your kind words! I think you're good to move on to the full review if 1) your timing is good (which you say it is) and 2) you feel like you've gotten enough out of the keywords review and you're starting to notice them while you are actually reading the passages when doing them live. If "ands," "buts" and "becauses" aren't jumping out at you like they're covered in neon paint, then I'd continue with the keyword review. If you are noticing them, then I think you're good to move on to the more advanced review techniques that you referenced. (It's okay to skip ahead to those dates and then circle back later). Best of luck on your MCAT!