CARS Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you used Testing Solutions passages? What did you think?

• Yes! Very accurate, really like them a lot!

• Nope. I'm here for the free guide and that's it!

• Yes, but they stink. (Oh no....please email us at [email protected] for a refund!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
How is CARS on the actual MCAT structured? It's probably a big waste of time to go back to the passage huh? Or is it easy to navigate back and forth?

The real CARS section displays the passage to the left and one question to the right. When you answer that question, you click next and a new question is displayed. You do this for 53 questions. I can't emphasize this part enough: the number one reason MCATers run out of time on the CARS section is because they're spending too much time going back to the passage. I'm not the only one that believes this. If you read the EK CARS manual, they say the same thing. If you're finding yourself going back to the passage frequently, you likely didn't read the passage as thoroughly as you should have. The CARS is not a word search or a "where's the answer in the passage" test. Most of the answers require synthesis and integration. This has little to do with looking back to the passage.

We talk a lot early in our guide about how to read for the CARS and later on, we talk about how to develop the ability to summarize when reviewing tests. These should help with not going back.

Best of luck and thanks for the questions!

Members don't see this ad.

I purchased the T1-T10 bundle, and I am currently reading your comprehensive 30 day guide. I am on the part where you list the 90 day schedule, I want to follow this except I am having a hard time for the following reasons: 1) I have not signed up for an exam date yet. 2) I have done a majority of the passages already, albeit not entirely successful. Does it make sense to redo them as I feel I will answer based off memory and not comprehension? I have done EK 101 pre MCAT 2015, TPRH workbook, AAMC cars passages, sample test, EK exams 1 and 4.
Any information is appreciated!

@kizzy94 - If you've done all of those materials, you will probably have to repeat some of them, but I would not lean heavily on material you've already used. Did you go through both of AAMC's CARS question banks (Vol 1 and 2)? Also, they've recently released a new practice test, so there are now to scaled practice exams in addition to the sample test. Also, it looks like EK is about to (or already has) released a new CARS book. I haven't gotten it yet, or taken a look at it, so I can't say anything about it, but I'm sure there are also some new passages in there. Take a look at our resources guide:
You might want to look at the EK Mini MCATS book as there are some CARS passages there. It might also be worth your time to take a look at TBR's materials since you've already used up so much. I can't speak to Next Steps materials. I've heard mixed reviews via their Amazon.com reviews, but it's hard to know what to make of that, so they might be another avenue too. I wouldn't retake any non-AAMC passages, but I would retake every AAMC CARS passage that is available. Give yourself at least six months between the last time you took the passage with the hopes you forget most of it.

Let us know if we haven't fully answered your question. I know it can be frustrating to have fewer materials to practice with, but many, many people do well on the CARS in similar circumstances, so there's no reason you can't either!

Best of luck : )

@theonlytycrane - "The format is so bad" haha! It really is, isn't it? I can assure you many nights have been spent trying to find a solution. (If you have an idea, PM me. We'd love to talk $$). We had a deal set up with someone this spring and then it fell through. Then again a new deal this fall. But they wanted to charge so much and we just couldn't justify passing that cost on to our customers. We're hoping to have something up and running by the new year.

And yes, I am in medical school, almost done with my first quarter at Stanford. Everything I've ever heard about how hard medical school is true! But it's fun, too. And really a privilege at the end of the day to be able to get to do what I've always wanted to do. Despite my medical student status, everyone here at Testing Solutions is still plugging away. And we're hoping to have the format less bad soon!

I re-read my post and I didn't mean it to come off so negative. I apologize- I actually think the CARS materials are great and would be invaluable if they were in a test-like online format.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your 1st year! Hope to join you on the journey soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@Chromium Surfer - I think on the whole, our average passage is harder than the average AAMC materials, but not by a lot. I do think our practice tests are harder on average. With that said, we've been doing an internal correlation review between what MCATers scored on our tests and what they scored on the actual MCAT and the scores were ultimately within one (and sometimes two) scaled score points. People who scored a 126 on our practice tests usually got a 127 or 128. People who got 124s and 125 more or less scored in that range (including 126). Beyond that, the average score on the real MCAT (not matriculant, but overall average score) for the CARS section is somewhere around a raw score of 35 (scaled score of 124-125). A raw score of 35 is 66% correct. The average scores on our practice tests (of all users who take them) are between 63% and 65%. So we're slightly more difficult, but based both on our predictive power and the averages, I do think our practice tests are in range of the CARS true difficult. Are practice tests are intended to be more difficult and I think we succeeded in making them more difficult.

Whether or not they are "significantly" harder is somewhat relative. I've noticed on forums and on reddit that the people who have said our practice tests are "super hard" or "unrepresentative" because of our difficulty are the ones who scored in the low 60%s both on our practice tests and didn't do well on the actual CARS either. I don't think we've ever had someone who scored well on the actual CARS come back to us and have anything but positive words (save that our formatting sucks, which we know it sucks). I've never seen someone who scored in the 80%s (and there are many who do) say our tests are too hard.

Our tests are hard. They're meant to be hard. Unfortunately, many, many people who take our practice tests don't do well, because many, many people who take the actual MCAT don't do well. I think if you're scoring a 125 on our materials your in that range or slightly better off.

Hopefully, that answers your question. Best of luck on your MCAT and please let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

The real CARS section displays the passage to the left and one question to the right. When you answer that question, you click next and a new question is displayed. You do this for 53 questions. I can't emphasize this part enough: the number one reason MCATers run out of time on the CARS section is because they're spending too much time going back to the passage. I'm not the only one that believes this. If you read the EK CARS manual, they say the same thing. If you're finding yourself going back to the passage frequently, you likely didn't read the passage as thoroughly as you should have. The CARS is not a word search or a "where's the answer in the passage" test. Most of the answers require synthesis and integration. This has little to do with looking back to the passage.

We talk a lot early in our guide about how to read for the CARS and later on, we talk about how to develop the ability to summarize when reviewing tests. These should help with not going back.

Best of luck and thanks for the questions!

Thanks for the response! I just ran through your T1 CARS FL and was on pace to score a 126 but then got killed by the last two passages and my score dropped to 125. But I am hoping that after some practice I can get to my score goal. I usually do good on standardized reading tests ( 99% percentile on PSAT, 99% on Practice ACT, and 93% on SAT) so I was surprised that I did poorly on the FL. How feasible is it to get my score to my target of 129 if I go through the 30 day guide and do the 300 total passages that you recommend? Timing is not an issue for me. In fact I constantly finish with anywhere from 2-5 mins left after each passage, but my intuition is off for some reason. I just finished day 9 of your 30 day guide but based on what I have shared and since timing is not an issue would it be beneficial for me to start reviewing passages now?Also do you have any other advice specific to my situation? Thanks so much!

I re-read my post and I didn't mean it to come off so negative. I apologize- I actually think the CARS materials are great and would be invaluable if they were in a test-like online format.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your 1st year! Hope to join you on the journey soon :)

@theonlytycrane - No apology at all! You speak the truth friend, the format is less than ideal : ) Wishing you best of luck as you join us on this crazy thing we willingly signed up for!

Thanks for the response! I just ran through your T1 CARS FL and was on pace to score a 126 but then got killed by the last two passages and my score dropped to 125. But I am hoping that after some practice I can get to my score goal. I usually do good on standardized reading tests ( 99% percentile on PSAT, 99% on Practice ACT, and 93% on SAT) so I was surprised that I did poorly on the FL. How feasible is it to get my score to my target of 129 if I go through the 30 day guide and do the 300 total passages that you recommend? Timing is not an issue for me. In fact I constantly finish with anywhere from 2-5 mins left after each passage, but my intuition is off for some reason. I just finished day 9 of your 30 day guide but based on what I have shared and since timing is not an issue would it be beneficial for me to start reviewing passages now?Also do you have any other advice specific to my situation? Thanks so much!

I think if you're just starting out and already scoring a 125, you're well on your way to a 129. A 125 is roughly a 36 raw score, and a 129 is approximately a 46. (This is based on the AAMC's scale conversion for Practice Exam 1. We went through and entered 0 through 53 correct (took forever) to see what the score conversion was). That means that all you have to do is get 10 more questions right than you already are. This is really manageable if you're giving yourself two or three more months of practice. If your timing is in line, I'd recommend that you start reviewing your practice passages and work on 1) our keyword review, 2) your ability to break down arguments, and 3) your ability to summarize. Keep reading through our guide and doing practice passages and I really think you're likely to get there and maybe even higher. Please keep us updated and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

I've used TPR and EK with some success, as well as the AAMC tests, but I still feel I need more high quality passages. I'm ESL and I can't help but feel the tone/pacing/difficulty of TPR/EK/Kaplan is different than the real tests. Has anyone used RX4MCAT? I know it's more geared to ESL but not mentioned on here much. My friend from Syria told me about it and seems to think it's pretty good. It would be nice for some different feedback if anyone else has tried it or heard anything. Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Day 3 – Reviewing/ Timing

NEW: Watch the Day 3 - Reviewing/ Timing Video - (32:23)

Timing:

Ok, hopefully, your burn through material is in the mail, and you did your one passage yesterday. If you didn't, today's a new day to get a new start. Remember to take every passage under timed conditions. Our goal early on is to build your intuition about the correct pacing for the CARS section. This is why it is so important to do your passages timed and especially in the early stages, to do them within the time intervals I laid out on Day 1. If you’re getting through a 7 question passage in significantly less time than 12 minutes, try and slow down a little bit to make sure you’re not missing anything and if you’re taking much longer than 9 minutes on a 5 question passage, try speeding up some and letting go of the harder questions in the passage sooner. As we proceed through these first 30 days, I’ll outline a more nuanced timing strategy where you aren't so worried about the number of questions and minutes, but for now, you’re training and getting comfortable. Keep up the hard work. As with all new things, it’s new and uncomfortable at first.

Remember:

1) For the first week, do one passage a day, no matter what!
2) Use the following time intervals for the CARS section.
a. For a passage with 5 questions | 9 Minutes
b. For a passage with 6 questions | 10.5 Minutes
c. For a passage with 7 questions | 12 Minutes​

Reviewing/ (Timing again!):

So now on to some new material for today. One of the major misconceptions most premeds have about studying for the CARS section is the emphasis they put on reviewing passages and questions. To get an ultra-high score, you are going to have to review your tests in great detail. For those looking to score in the 90%+ range, you’ll need to be able to identify question types, wrong answer pathologies, and parse the author’s arguments into their components. These are all critical skills for top tier success, but they are not foundational skills. I cannot count the number of students I’ve taught and tutored who would spend hours trying to master these advanced strategies reviewing their practice tests in great detail but yet were still consistently rushing the last third of the test, basically sprinting through the last three passages and question sets. Studying the advanced strategies first is like trying to run a marathon before you can walk. It just doesn’t work. I’m going to say something controversial, but it is the critical first step to getting any score you want on the MCAT CARS section, whether you’re shooting for an average, above average, or ultra- high (ivy league) score.

Until you’re able to consistently finish your CARS practice tests on time without rushing through any passages, you shouldn’t be reviewing your practice tests. Instead, you should be taking more practice tests.

I know this is heresy for some, but if my teaching and tutoring experiences have taught me anything it is this: Most students have the ability on day one to score well on the CARS section if they are able to master their pacing. This means a few things:

Don’t waste time reviewing your practice tests until:

- You are consistently finishing your passages without rushing

- You are able to consistently finish your passages without staring at the clock to regulate whether you should speed up or slow down. (We are trying to build your CARS pacing intuition, which does not mean staring at the clock all the time).

- You are able to consistently let go of hard questions without getting snagged on them and wasting precious time.

This is the single easiest change that MCATers can make!

1) The first time you think to yourself, “I’m spending a lot of time on this question” look at the clock and give yourself 30 more seconds.

2) Eliminate any answer choices you can.

3) After 30 seconds, guess, mark the question for review later, and tell yourself “I’ll come back to this later once I get the easy ones.”

4) If you do this, you will have time at the end of the test to come back, and more often than not, giving yourself a little time to clear your head, you’ll see the question anew and what you were missing the first time.​

Once you master your pacing, then it’s time to move on to the advanced techniques we’ll explore later in our 30-day learning phase. For those of you seething at the mouth right now, we will go over my detailed approach to reviewing CARS passages, questions, and answer types which will allow you to develop your advanced techniques, but you've got to master the basics first. Until then, keep doing your daily passage and focus on not getting snagged on the hard questions.

Just because it’s so important, I’ll say it again, practice letting go of the hard questions. Getting your timing down is the easiest way to make huge improvements on the CARS section. You’re already smart enough to do well on the CARS right now. It’s just that you’re not used to the correct pacing yet, and you aren’t in the habit of letting go of the difficult questions that most test takers get wrong anyways.

Remember: The question that will keep you out of your top medical school is not the one you get wrong, but the one you spend too much time on.

Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you back here tomorrow!

Today's Assignment: Do One CARS Passage Under Timed Conditions

NEW: Watch the Day 3 - Reviewing/ Timing Video - (32:23)

..::..

You’ve done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination.”
– Ralph Martson​
@TestingSolutions I have a question for you. I am generally terrible at verbal and want to try your method to see if it helps. I'm wondering why I shouldn't review the questions and answers while I'm still trying to get my timing down. I am doing better with timing so far, but sometimes my scores are worse. Can you explain to me what the benefit is of not reviewing answers while trying to master timing? Because what if i get the timing down pat, but I'm getting all the answers wrong? Just confused and my test is in 2 months! Thank you for all your help.

@TestingSolutions I have 50 days until my exam and my scores have not improved yet I am still in the 60% range. I have gotten the timing much better now (finishing with 2 mins to spare). I went thru the TPR workbook and started on EK 101. I bought the NS CARS and aamc CARS qp which I am planing to save for last. I usually do 4 passages a day. What do you recommend?

I've used TPR and EK with some success, as well as the AAMC tests, but I still feel I need more high quality passages. I'm ESL and I can't help but feel the tone/pacing/difficulty of TPR/EK/Kaplan is different than the real tests. Has anyone used RX4MCAT? I know it's more geared to ESL but not mentioned on here much. My friend from Syria told me about it and seems to think it's pretty good. It would be nice for some different feedback if anyone else has tried it or heard anything. Any feedback greatly appreciated!

@benbeme - I've included a link below to our guide to all the major CARS resources available. I can't speak to the quality of RX4MCAT, but I will say that before your post I've never heard of them so I don't think they're a mainstream resource. That doesn't necessary mean they're bad, but I think it does encourage a healthy degree of suspicion. I took a look at their site and it looks like they have a number of good reviews from previous customers.

General consensus on SDN is that TPR and EK are decent representations of the CARS (at least enough for practice). In addition, the AAMC has released a ton of practice CARS passages, so between those resources and Testing Solutions (disregard shameless plug! : ) only students need extra help need look elsewhere. Those are my opinions, but I'd definitely be interested to hear if others have had other experiences with RX4MCAT.

Last edited:
@TestingSolutions I have a question for you. I am generally terrible at verbal and want to try your method to see if it helps. I'm wondering why I shouldn't review the questions and answers while I'm still trying to get my timing down. I am doing better with timing so far, but sometimes my scores are worse. Can you explain to me what the benefit is of not reviewing answers while trying to master timing? Because what if i get the timing down pat, but I'm getting all the answers wrong? Just confused and my test is in 2 months! Thank you for all your help.

@kfox09 - I think an old adage best describes our reasoning behind this suggestion: Deal with your problems in the order that they're killing you. We recommend working on timing first, because for almost every MCATer, problems with timing are the #1 cause of lost points. We think that until timing is resolved or at least on track, it doesn't matter how well you can answer questions, because if you've got a timing problem, you won't be able to answer the last ten or fifteen questions. Most people can score 70% or higher on a CARS test if they give themselves unlimited time. Reviewing builds reasoning skills, summarizing skills, and spotting false answer choices. These are all great skills to have, but if you're only able to apply these skills to 40 of the questions, you're still sunk on the CARS. Most people only have an hour or two to spend on CARS a day. For this reason we recommend that you use that time (especially early on in your preparations) to do a ton of passages under timed conditions. The only way to improve your timing is to practice your timing. The more practice you do, the quicker this problem won't be a problem. After your timing gets ironed out (i.e. you're no longer running out of time), then it makes sense to start building up the other skills.

Timing won't get you to the CARS score you want, but without good timing, you'll have no chance at getting the score you want. Timing is the foundation of every strong CARS score and for this reason, we emphasize it so much. I've included a link below to a video we recently produced to answer this particular question in detail as well as provide tips for improving your timing. Best of luck and please leave any more questions you have!

@TestingSolutions I have 50 days until my exam and my scores have not improved yet I am still in the 60% range. I have gotten the timing much better now (finishing with 2 mins to spare). I went thru the TPR workbook and started on EK 101. I bought the NS CARS and aamc CARS qp which I am planing to save for last. I usually do 4 passages a day. What do you recommend?

@laynet - If you're 50 days out (or less now), I'd recommend that you:

1. immediately switch to AAMC CARS QP. You're well within your time window that you should be using these. You don't want to run out of time and not get to them as they are absolutely the best CARS practice materials. I'd recommend a two days (AAMC) one day (NS) rotation.
  2. increase your number of passages to 6 and then add two more passages the next week. You need to get to 9 passages in a row in the next week or two as building your mental stamina is absolutely critical to success.
  3. start reviewing one or two of your hardest practice tests each day. We outline how to thoroughly review a practice passage on Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test. You probably won't have the time to do this for every passage, but doing so for one or two passages per day will really help.
Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help and please keep the questions coming! Best of luck!

Well @TestingSolutions, I don't know if it is a fluke or what, but the last three passages I have taken, I have only missed one question out of the 16 questions. I printed off most of the material in this thread and read over it one night. I came today with a new perspective hoping something would change. The main point I changed was literally not highlighting or taking a single note. Who would've thought?! I am learning the key words concept now, but I wanted to say thank you. Hopefully this continues and I am able to score that high on the real test day!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Well @TestingSolutions, I don't know if it is a fluke or what, but the last three passages I have taken, I have only missed one question out of the 16 questions. I printed off most of the material in this thread and read over it one night. I came today with a new perspective hoping something would change. The main point I changed was literally not highlighting or taking a single note. Who would've thought?! I am learning the key words concept now, but I wanted to say thank you. Hopefully this continues and I am able to score that high on the real test day!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@lebronisking23 - Sorry we didn't see your post until now! Thank you so much for writing and I hope you've continued to see improvements. Don't focus too much on one particular CARS score. Some days will be up and some days will be down. We just want to see steady progress over the long term until your reach your goal score. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

@TestingSolutions Def considering your current offering, so wanted to confirm something. Are other sections included in your 6 FL test bundle?

@TestingSolutions Def considering your current offering, so wanted to confirm something. Are other sections included in your 6 FL test bundle?

@5words - Unfortunately, the answer is no. We have focused all of our energies at this point creating our CARS practice materials. Someday, we'd love to branch out into the other sections, but currently, our materials only include the CARS section. Best of luck on your MCAT!

I skimmed through the tips and some of your lessons and was able to get 5/5 on my second passage (#17 CARS V1) (#16 CARSV1 2/5 on my first try, but the content was difficult, was expecting lower)! Like seriously, this has never happened before. Examining the passage for 15-20 seconds really helps me, especially when I look at the title. Tried not to refer to the passage as much and tried to eliminate base on modality helped a lot. Will be using this for the next 2.5 weeks, wish I had found this sooner.

I skimmed through the tips and some of your lessons and was able to get 5/5 on my second passage (#17 CARS V1) (#16 CARSV1 2/5 on my first try, but the content was difficult, was expecting lower)! Like seriously, this has never happened before. Examining the passage for 15-20 seconds really helps me, especially when I look at the title. Tried not to refer to the passage as much and tried to eliminate base on modality helped a lot. Will be using this for the next 2.5 weeks, wish I had found this sooner.

@Lardy Boy - Glad to hear it was helpful. There are no quick or easy shortcuts that guarantee a great score on the CARS, but I truly believe that almost anyone can achieve an ultra high CARS score with hard work and enough time invested. Keep up the great work and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

@TestingSolutions I'm working on my timing for passages, and I'm using the time constraints you provide in your guide. Right now, I'm doing 3 passages consecutively, and I can usually finish with a few extra minutes. I try to run through without looking at my stopwatch. I've noticed that sometimes, if the passage is clear to me, I can blow through it without spending the full allotted time for that number of questions. However, when I do this, I can kind of "feel" that I still have time left for that passage, so I try and review it a little bit and kind of judge when I think I've spent enough time on it.

How do you suggest approaching this problem? I don't want to accumulate a bunch of extra time and then get to the last passage, because then I'd have a bunch of extra time to go back and review things, but it will be harder to review them after I have gotten through all of the other passages. Should I try and make sure that I spend the designated time limits provided for each passage (limits based on number of questions?)

Also, on the real exam, how do you advise that I gauge timing? For each passage, should I first look at the number of questions and then guage myself from there?

The problem I find is that when I blow through a passage and finish with extra time (for example, use only 9 minutes out of the 12 minutes I should give myself for a 7 question passage), it throws off my timing for other passages.

@TestingSolutions I have read all 9 pages of this thread! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR WISDOM!

I am retaking my MCAT in September to solely improve CARS. I have tested two times in the past with verbal being my weakest link (9 and 124, respectively).
My question to you is what is your recommendation for a long-term study plan? I read your response to another user that said from 6-4 months out do one passage a day and ramp up every two weeks with additional passages. I guess the last four months would be all FL's twice a week?

I am not short on CARS resources. I just don't know how best to improve my CARS over the next 7 months without burn out. I would appreciate your advice! Thank you!

EDIT: Also, do we continue to ramp up the passages even if we aren't scoring where we'd like? Like our timing is down but we are still missing 1-2 per passage?

@TestingSolutions I'm working on my timing for passages, and I'm using the time constraints you provide in your guide. Right now, I'm doing 3 passages consecutively, and I can usually finish with a few extra minutes. I try to run through without looking at my stopwatch. I've noticed that sometimes, if the passage is clear to me, I can blow through it without spending the full allotted time for that number of questions. However, when I do this, I can kind of "feel" that I still have time left for that passage, so I try and review it a little bit and kind of judge when I think I've spent enough time on it.

How do you suggest approaching this problem? I don't want to accumulate a bunch of extra time and then get to the last passage, because then I'd have a bunch of extra time to go back and review things, but it will be harder to review them after I have gotten through all of the other passages. Should I try and make sure that I spend the designated time limits provided for each passage (limits based on number of questions?)

Also, on the real exam, how do you advise that I gauge timing? For each passage, should I first look at the number of questions and then guage myself from there?

The problem I find is that when I blow through a passage and finish with extra time (for example, use only 9 minutes out of the 12 minutes I should give myself for a 7 question passage), it throws off my timing for other passages.

@acetylmandarin - These are great questions! I'll try to answer them one by one, but please let me know if I don't clear these issues up. Overall, we've got a post on Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Full-Length Practice Test that explains what to do when you reach these more advanced levels of practice.

1) At some point, you're going to want to move away from the standard timings we've recommended and use your timing intuition you've been building to dictate how long you spend on a passage. The reality is that an easy passage may take you only 6 minutes whereas a hard passage might take 15. For people who are struggling to finish on time, they've got to get their timing under control and using these standard timing intervals is the quickest way to do that. With that said, I'd up your number of passages to four or five and see where your timing is. Many people struggle to keep up their focus past five passages. Thus, they slow down. Try jumping up and see where your timing is at.

2) I wouldn't spend extra time on a passage if you feel good about your answers just to get closer to the "recommended" timing intervals. I wouldn't be surprised that you've improved to a level where you're able to get through the material at that speed.

3) When it comes to taking the actual exam, I recommend that you only voluntarily look at the clock 1 time! I know this is so hard for test takers, but it's really the best way to do it. Look at the clock after you finish the 6th passage. You should have close to 35 minutes left. If you don't, it's time to speed up. Don't wait until your last passage to try and make up for lost time. You'll barely notice shaving off a minute from each of your remaining passages, but try and take three minutes off your last passage, and you'll probably miss at least half the questions. Look at the clock after you finish the 6th passage, you should have 35 minutes left. This gives you enough time to make up time if you have to, but it also keeps your mind clear and not pressured by looking at the clock every two seconds.

In terms of timing, the goal of all of your preparation should be to get you to a place where you intuitively know how long to spend on the question in front of you and when to mark it, let go, and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
@TestingSolutions I have read all 9 pages of this thread! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR WISDOM!

I am retaking my MCAT in September to solely improve CARS. I have tested two times in the past with verbal being my weakest link (9 and 124, respectively).
My question to you is what is your recommendation for a long-term study plan? I read your response to another user that said from 6-4 months out do one passage a day and ramp up every two weeks with additional passages. I guess the last four months would be all FL's twice a week?

I am not short on CARS resources. I just don't know how best to improve my CARS over the next 7 months without burn out. I would appreciate your advice! Thank you!

EDIT: Also, do we continue to ramp up the passages even if we aren't scoring where we'd like? Like our timing is down but we are still missing 1-2 per passage?

@Thoroughbred_Med - I'm glad something we've said has been useful! Thank you for your kind words. As to your two questions:

1) For a seven-month schedule, I'd start out by following the schedule below. After you do the one passage, use our methodology to review that passage.

Week 1: 1 passage/ 3 days a week (every other day)
Week 2: 1 passage/ 3 days a week (every other day)
Week 3: 1 passage/ 4 days a week (every other day)
Week 4: 1 passage/ 4 days a week ( every other day)
Week 5: 1 passage/ 5 days a week (weekend off)
Week 6: 1 passage/ 5 days a week ( weekend off)
Week 7: 1 passage/ 6 days a week
Week 8: 1 passage/ 6 days a week

Every week after week 8, I'd add another passage per day. Once you hit 9 passages per day, then I'd do a full-length every other day, reviewing a few of the hardest passages on the off day.

2) As to jumping up and adding a passage, I'd pause at that level if you're missing questions because of timing. If you're missing questions because you're still learning how to take CARS passages, keep adding them on. You'll see your scores going up as you do more passages and implement the strategies we outline in this guide. Keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

@Thoroughbred_Med - I'm glad something we've said has been useful! Thank you for your kind words. As to your two questions:

1) For a seven-month schedule, I'd start out by following the schedule below. After you do the one passage, use our methodology to review that passage.

Week 1: 1 passage/ 3 days a week (every other day)
Week 2: 1 passage/ 3 days a week (every other day)
Week 3: 1 passage/ 4 days a week (every other day)
Week 4: 1 passage/ 4 days a week ( every other day)
Week 5: 1 passage/ 5 days a week (weekend off)
Week 6: 1 passage/ 5 days a week ( weekend off)
Week 7: 1 passage/ 6 days a week
Week 8: 1 passage/ 6 days a week

Every week after week 8, I'd add another passage per day. Once you hit 9 passages per day, then I'd do a full-length every other day, reviewing a few of the hardest passages on the off day.

2) As to jumping up and adding a passage, I'd pause at that level if you're missing questions because of timing. If you're missing questions because you're still learning how to take CARS passages, keep adding them on. You'll see your scores going up as you do more passages and implement the strategies we outline in this guide. Keep us posted and let us know how we can help.
thank you for your reply!!!

"Every week after week 8, I'd add another passage per day. Once you hit 9 passages per day, then I'd do a full-length every other day, reviewing a few of the hardest passages on the off day." ... so after week 16 when I cap off at 9 passages per day I should switch to FL's every other day all the way until my test date? 3.5 FL's every week for the remaining three months? - 42 FL's total? :/

I'm not sure if there is enough material on the market for that. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hey Testing solutions,

I'm on day 30 of the guide. I've been going through the guide but also adding a little bit extra by taking full-lengths since I'm 2 months from my exam date. When I've been doing the practice passages I seem to be stuck at around 80%. I took a Next Step P-test just recently and scored a 127. I'm really looking for that 99%. At this point I don't know whether or not timing or reading comprehension is my problem. When I do the practice pasages/p-tests I always seem to be ahead by a few minutes. For example, my last 6 practice passages were allocated for 67:30 but I had a good 7 minutes left over. I felt pretty confident but in the end was still disappointed with an 80%. I had a few questions:
  1. Where do you advise I go from here? Start reworking my timing or focus more on reading comprehension?
  2. When we're reviewing our p-tests/practice passages should we always be doing the keyword review? It takes a lot of time for me, highlighting all of the corresponding colors.
Thanks for the help!

@acetylmandarin - These are great questions! I'll try to answer them one by one, but please let me know if I don't clear these issues up. Overall, we've got a post on Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Full-Length Practice Test that explains what to do when you reach these more advanced levels of practice.

1) At some point, you're going to want to move away from the standard timings we've recommended and use your timing intuition you've been building to dictate how long you spend on a passage. The reality is that an easy passage may take you only 6 minutes whereas a hard passage might take 15. For people who are struggling to finish on time, they've got to get their timing under control and using these standard timing intervals is the quickest way to do that. With that said, I'd up your number of passages to four or five and see where your timing is. Many people struggle to keep up their focus past five passages. Thus, they slow down. Try jumping up and see where your timing is at.

2) I wouldn't spend extra time on a passage if you feel good about your answers just to get closer to the "recommended" timing intervals. I wouldn't be surprised that you've improved to a level where you're able to get through the material at that speed.

3) When it comes to taking the actual exam, I recommend that you only voluntarily look at the clock 1 time! I know this is so hard for test takers, but it's really the best way to do it. Look at the clock after you finish the 6th passage. You should have close to 35 minutes left. If you don't, it's time to speed up. Don't wait until your last passage to try and make up for lost time. You'll barely notice shaving off a minute from each of your remaining passages, but try and take three minutes off your last passage, and you'll probably miss at least half the questions. Look at the clock after you finish the 6th passage, you should have 35 minutes left. This gives you enough time to make up time if you have to, but it also keeps your mind clear and not pressured by looking at the clock every two seconds.

In terms of timing, the goal of all of your preparation should be to get you to a place where you intuitively know how long to spend on the question in front of you and when to mark it, let go, and move on.

Thanks!

thank you for your reply!!!

"Every week after week 8, I'd add another passage per day. Once you hit 9 passages per day, then I'd do a full-length every other day, reviewing a few of the hardest passages on the off day." ... so after week 16 when I cap off at 9 passages per day I should switch to FL's every other day all the way until my test date? 3.5 FL's every week for the remaining three months? - 42 FL's total? :/

I'm not sure if there is enough material on the market for that. Any suggestions? Thanks!

@Thoroughbred_Med - I'm sorry, I should have made clear that when I say FL, I also include when you take a CARS section while taking a FL practice test for the other sections as well. I'd take two or three full-lengths a week, maybe alternating the two. It depends on how intense you want to get about taking FLs, but between all of the CARS resources out there and actual FLs out there, I'm pretty sure you can get close to that number. EK's new book has 100 passages, we have 100 passages, NextSteps' book has 100 passages, TPR has roughly 70 passages, AAMC has 45 stand alone CARS passages. Between these CARS only resources and the below FLs you should be able to find enough passages. With that said, it's really hard to study for that long this intensely. I'd be sure you're on guard against burn out.

Full-Lengths:

AAMC: 3 Practice Tests
Kaplan 10 Practice Tests
TPR: 10 Practice Tests
EK: 5 Practice Tests
Berekely Review: 4 Practice Tests
GS: 5 Practice Tests
NextStep : 10 Practice Tests

Best of luck!

@Thoroughbred_Med - I'm sorry, I should have made clear that when I say FL, I also include when you take a CARS section while taking a FL practice test for the other sections as well. I'd take two or three full-lengths a week, maybe alternating the two. It depends on how intense you want to get about taking FLs, but between all of the CARS resources out there and actual FLs out there, I'm pretty sure you can get close to that number. EK's new book has 100 passages, we have 100 passages, NextSteps' book has 100 passages, TPR has roughly 70 passages, AAMC has 45 stand alone CARS passages. Between these CARS only resources and the below FLs you should be able to find enough passages. With that said, it's really hard to study for that long this intensely. I'd be sure you're on guard against burn out.

Full-Lengths:

AAMC: 3 Practice Tests
Kaplan 10 Practice Tests
TPR: 10 Practice Tests
EK: 5 Practice Tests
Berekely Review: 4 Practice Tests
GS: 5 Practice Tests
NextStep : 10 Practice Tests

Best of luck!

Burn out is a concern. I have the time and ability to spread out my studying and use all the resources available. I just thought more practice = better score. And I want to do anything to get my 124 to 129+. But perhaps this is the wrong way to think about it? Have your students ever wished they had more practice than the 90 days?

Hey Testing solutions,

I'm on day 30 of the guide. I've been going through the guide but also adding a little bit extra by taking full-lengths since I'm 2 months from my exam date. When I've been doing the practice passages I seem to be stuck at around 80%. I took a Next Step P-test just recently and scored a 127. I'm really looking for that 99%. At this point I don't know whether or not timing or reading comprehension is my problem. When I do the practice pasages/p-tests I always seem to be ahead by a few minutes. For example, my last 6 practice passages were allocated for 67:30 but I had a good 7 minutes left over. I felt pretty confident but in the end was still disappointed with an 80%. I had a few questions:
  1. Where do you advise I go from here? Start reworking my timing or focus more on reading comprehension?
  2. When we're reviewing our p-tests/practice passages should we always be doing the keyword review? It takes a lot of time for me, highlighting all of the corresponding colors.
Thanks for the help!

@afcpanda - If you're scoring 80%, timing and you're finishing ahead of time, timing is no longer an issue for you. I wouldn't worry about that anymore unless it starts causing you a problem. Have you taken many AAMC practice passages? I think they are the very best practice and if you're two months out, should be starting to think that way anyways. As to how to spend your time, I'd do two things:

1) Start copying down the question stems of the questions you're getting wrong. After you've gathered 15 or 20, see if you can see a pattern. Is there a certain type of question that always trips you up. Then go to that day in our guide and review that post.

2a) I'd stop using the keyword review. If you're scoring this well, you're obviously at a point where you know how to read. I think your best bet would be to start reviewing a few passages (the most difficult per test) using this full-methodology. Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test. If you didn't miss two or more questions on a passage, I wouldn't even waste time reviewing that passage, as you clearly got it.

2b) Speaking of 2a, are you marking questions that trouble you as you take the test? This is a great way to improve. Even if you get the question right, zoom in on the questions that either 1) you got wrong or 2) had trouble and weren't more than 75% sure you were correct. This is the easiest way to streamline your review.

3) A lot of people scoff at these, but it is very hard to get into the 95%+ group without extra practice. I wouldn't let this get in the way of your regular FLs, but take a look at our post on advanced techniques (I guess you just read it, but here it is again). Day 30Advanced Study Techniques These really can help. Give it a try.

4) I know I said this in 1), but if you're not taking AAMC passages, start. Mix in a few every other day. These will be the best guide as to where you really are.
Best of luck! Let us know how we can help.

Burn out is a concern. I have the time and ability to spread out my studying and use all the resources available. I just thought more practice = better score. And I want to do anything to get my 124 to 129+. But perhaps this is the wrong way to think about it? Have your students ever wished they had more practice than the 90 days?

I think the optimal amount of study time is 120 days. We're actually getting ready to publish a 120 day guide. The first 30 days are spent on the guide and an even more gradual ramping up of your taking of passages and then the remaining 90 days are spent gradually getting to the 9 passages in a row level of stamina with lots of time for review. Keep an eye out for this in the coming weeks. If you really have the time and it's not going to mess up your other sections or GPA, then go for it. Remember though, medical schools are looking for more than stats so don't let your MCAT get in the way of life (and ECs!!).

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help!

I think the optimal amount of study time is 120 days. We're actually getting ready to publish a 120 day guide. The first 30 days are spent on the guide and an even more gradual ramping up of your taking of passages and then the remaining 90 days are spent gradually getting to the 9 passages in a row level of stamina with lots of time for review. Keep an eye out for this in the coming weeks. If you really have the time and it's not going to mess up your other sections or GPA, then go for it. Remember though, medical schools are looking for more than stats so don't let your MCAT get in the way of life (and ECs!!).

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help!

Will do. Thanks for this honest reply. I will keep a look out for the 120 day guide. I will be your earliest SDN adopter and can leave a review after I finish it and take my exam!

@rraidermd - Thanks! Best of luck on finishing up your finals! We really appreciate you reading and following along. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your studying.

Day 26 – How to Review a CARS Passage

Ok, so you’ve been reading all of these posts about how to read CARS passages and how to recognize the different question types and answer pathologies. You've been taking a ton of CARS passages. Your timing is down, and you’ve got your pacing just right. What do you do to push yourself up that last little bit to get in the 129+ range? The final key is mastering how to review your practice tests. I’m going to break the process down into the three pieces of the CARS section, the passages, questions, and answer choices, and then in our final review post, I'll bring it all together. Today, we look at reviewing the passages. Don't worry if this seems a lot to take in especially since we're breaking it up over three days.

On Day 29, I provide a complete overview of how to correctly review a CARS test. I also include a “How to Review a Practice Test” summary sheet you can download. If you want to be ahead of the game, you can download it here.

The Why of Reviewing:

The goals of reviewing a CARS passage are very different than those of reviewing a passage from one of the other sections. In “studying” for the CARS, what we’re actually doing is “practicing” doing things the right way over and over again. Doing this allows you to habituate doing the right things which translate into success on test day. In reviewing a passage, we’re trying to develop our CARS “skills.” This is our only goal, so keep that in mind whenever you review anything on the CARS. You’re not trying to learn. You’re trying to develop a particular skill set!

How to Review a Passage:

Hopefully, you’ve been doing the keyword review for some time now. If the keywords are starting to jump out at you as you take the passages under testing conditions, you’ve achieved our goal in doing the exercise, so it’s time to move on to more advanced techniques. What do we do now? There are six steps I recommend for reviewing CARS practice passages:

Step 1: Wait at least four hours to review your practice test!

Step 2:Read the passage once through at a normal CARS pace, but without any reference to time. Slow down when you need to.

Step 3: Determine what kind of passage it is: Argumentative or Descriptive?

Step 4: Read the passage again, but this time, after each paragraph, write on a sheet of paper a one sentence summary of the paragraph. Do this for each paragraph.

Step 5: After completing step 4 for all of the paragraphs, paint yourself to the main idea.
a. What’s the frame?
b. What’s the subject?
c. What’s the point?​
(See Day 11 if you have questions on how to do this)

Step 6: After completing steps 1 through 5, write a one-sentence summary of the entire passage.​
Reviewing your passages like this will allow you to most effectively review the corresponding questions and answer choices, and it will also get you in the habit of summarizing passages and paragraphs in your mind. The ability to summarize efficiently and thoroughly is one that must be developed over time. By doing these five steps repeatedly, over time, you’ll begin to do them without even thinking about it in real time while taking your test. When you get to this stage, you’ll see huge jumps in your score.

***TIP – To make your review even more productive, when you’re taking the passage under test conditions, if there is a part of the passage that doesn’t make sense or confuses you, highlight it or make a note on scratch paper reminding you as why it was confusing or hard. Going back to these sections later when you're reviewing your test is a useful way of improving your reading comprehension.

That's it for today. Make sure you do your five passages today. Review each passage as we've described above. I've created a passage review handout that makes it easy to remember which questions to ask yourself as your review a passage. You can download it here. Tomorrow we’ll go over how to review questions which is slightly more involved. Keep up the hard work. The finish line is in sight!

Today's Assignment: Do Five CARS Passages Consecutively, Under Timed Conditions

Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” – Dr. Og Mandino

I was wondering if you could provide me with some help? I'm on Day 26, and my timing was fine until I started doing 4-5 consecutive passages. I missed 17 on my most recent homework, but a few days ago, I got about 80% of the questions right. My test is April 22, so is there anything you think I should do to help improve my timing because I did not do well on CARS last time, hence the desperation.

@saints17 - I wouldn't let one set of passages and a low score get you down. Try 4 consecutive passages for a week and take a look at your scores. It might even be a good idea to use some of the AAMC's materials to get an even better idea of where you're at. It's hard to know what led you to miss 17 on your most recent assignment. Did you throw out your timing strategies? Were you tired by the end? Was it hard to stay focused.

I would give yourself some time to adjust to the increase stamina required to answer that many passages in a row. If you feel like you really are struggling, drop back down to three every other day and gradually build up to four. Try something like this:

Monday: 3
Tuesday: 3
Wednesday: 4
Thursday: 3
Friday: 3
Saturday: 4
Sunday: Break day

Best of luck and keep us in the loop with how things are going.

Hey Testing Solutions,

I just switched form doing the EK/Next step full lengths (which I had been scoring 80% on) to the AAMC question packs and one of your practice exams. My scored BOMBED and now I honestly have no idea what to do. I dropped to a 70% on one of the AAMC question packs and a 62% on the first Testing Solutions full lengths CARS test! I have no idea how many score dropped so drastically! At a lost for words right now.

What do I do?

Thanks

Hey Testing Solutions,

I just switched form doing the EK/Next step full lengths (which I had been scoring 80% on) to the AAMC question packs and one of your practice exams. My scored BOMBED and now I honestly have no idea what to do. I dropped to a 70% on one of the AAMC question packs and a 62% on the first Testing Solutions full lengths CARS test! I have no idea how many score dropped so drastically! At a lost for words right now.

What do I do?

Thanks

@afcpanda - I know the ups and downs of practice test taking can be really frustrating. I think a few things to remember are 1) No tests is a definitive measure of your CARS abilities. Most people, the far majority of people, end up scoring around their practice test average of the final 1/3 of their studying window. So I don't think you should worry. 2) No prep company (including us) get the AAMC CARS as well as the AAMC does, so when you're taking a hard look at your progress, only look at your results on their passages. I think most people that score an 80% on EK/Next step (which have the reputations of being inflated) probably score around a 70% on the AAMC. And since we've designed our practice tests to be slightly harder than the real CARS for the sake of practice (think about practicing an exercise with more weight than you'll use in an actual competition), a 62% is probably in range of where it should be. I think, based on the various difficulties of the exams, you're actually performing fairly consistently. If you're worried, I'd take a few more AAMC passages and see how you perform, but I don't think your score has dropped at all. An EK's 80% is an AAMC's 70% is a TS' 65%. I know that you're probably not thrilled with hearing that your 80% was an inflated score (I think this is one of the downsides of those companies' exams, because they get students confidence up), but I think you shouldn't feel like your scores have dropped drastically for no reason. I don't think they have. I just think you're trudging up the CARS mountain continuing to make progress. A 70% is a 125. An 80% is a 127 and an 85% is right at a 128/129. So if you're able to pick up 7 or 8 more questions correct between now and your test day, you've got a great CARS score. Depending on when your date is, that's not too much ground to cover.

Best of luck and please keep us in the loop as to your progress. If you have any more questions, let us know!

Hi, i'm just a few days into the program.
I'm starting with EK101, and then moving up to TPR hyper learning, then the testing solutions passages.

this is your timing scheme posted:

For a passage with 5 questions | 9 Minutes
For a passage with 6 questions | 10.5 Minutes
For a passage with 7 questions | 12 Minutes

but EK101 says I should be doing a full exam (60 questions) in 85minutes, which works out to:

For a passage with 5 questions | 7:00 Minutes
For a passage with 6 questions | 8:30 Minutes
For a passage with 7 questions | 9:50 Minutes

which timing do you suggest I follow, testing solutions' or EK's? Thanks

@mattns - What edition of their book are you using? As the 2015 MCAT was being rolled out, there was some early confusion as to what the CARS section would look like. For a period of time, there were 60 questions. A few prep companies jumped the gun and included that in their early materials, but then the CARS section came out having 53 questions in 90 minutes.

I can't speak to what they're talking about with 60 questions in 85 minutes, but this does not represent the actual MCAT in either number of questions or the time interval given. The CARS section has 53 questions that must be completed in 90 minutes. If you want to know how we got to our time intervals, you can see our reasoning here in our Day 3 - Reviewing/ Timing Video - (32:23).

I'd recommend you not follow the EK timing recommendations. You can use some other time interval from another company, but I wouldn't use a timing recommendation that isn't based on what the actual CARS looks like.

Best of luck on your MCAT! Keep us in the loop and let us know how we can help.

@mattns - What edition of their book are you using? As the 2015 MCAT was being rolled out, there was some early confusion as to what the CARS section would look like. For a period of time, there were 60 questions. A few prep companies jumped the gun and included that in their early materials, but then the CARS section came out having 53 questions in 90 minutes.

I can't speak to what they're talking about with 60 questions in 85 minutes, but this does not represent the actual MCAT in either number of questions or the time interval given. The CARS section has 53 questions that must be completed in 90 minutes. If you want to know how we got to our time intervals, you can see our reasoning here in our Day 3 - Reviewing/ Timing Video - (32:23).

I'd recommend you not follow the EK timing recommendations. You can use some other time interval from another company, but I wouldn't use a timing recommendation that isn't based on what the actual CARS looks like.

Best of luck on your MCAT! Keep us in the loop and let us know how we can help.

Hey thanks for the response, it's definitely an old book, its the ek101 2002 version. I just read from the forums that it helped others still, so i started with it. Do you have any experience with this edition?

@mattns - Oh...so this is a way back book before they started using the computer-based-testing platform. I don't think using the book will be a major problem. Avoid the natural science passages and use only the social science and humanities passages, as the CARS section no longer has natural science passages. I'd make sure you use some more recent passages and questions as your test date gets closer.

Best of luck!

@mattns - Oh...so this is a way back book before they started using the computer-based-testing platform. I don't think using the book will be a major problem. Avoid the natural science passages and use only the social science and humanities passages, as the CARS section no longer has natural science passages. I'd make sure you use some more recent passages and questions as your test date gets closer.

Best of luck!

Thanks! I actually have access to the EK Reasoning Skills Book as well which is 2015, and the TPR hyper learning 2011. So if you think i should use those, let me know! I've just heard lots of positive feedback on here about EK101 passages ha

Hey testing solutions, I took another EK practice test today to mix it up and found my score had dropped from around 80% to 75% (in my previous posts I had been scoring 60% on T.S practice tests). This is really concerning as I'm about a 1 1/2 months from my test date March 31st and I don't seem to be improving at all. I have a couple of questions:

1. I've found I've been having the most trouble on Passage Detail, application, implication, and inference questions. I've read the sections on the 30 day guide multiple times but I still seem to be having trouble. Any advice?
2. Do you advise going back to the passage to answer questions or not going back at all? I think a large part of my problem is I spend too much time going back and forth for passage detail questions.
3. Should be working on Advanced Techniques (i.e. Hunting for Clues) or is my score so low I should be focused solely on doing passages?
4. Do you have any general advice as to where I should go from here?

Thanks.

Hello TS,

Two questions:

1) I have been doing about two weeks worth of the beginning strategies listed in this guide. Is it normal to feel horrible for wasting the passages we can't finish in the allotted time? The timer cuts me off both while reading the passage (4 min) and while answering the questions. It hurts! :( because MCAT materials are expensive and valuable.

2) This seems silly, but how do you actually get faster at reading the passages? 75% of the time I can't finish the passages in 4 minutes. I don't feel like I am reading incredibly slow. If I speed up any more my comprehension plummets. My comprehension is sub par as it is at my current speed.

Really looking for any advice possible. As simple as it sounds, the passages I do the best on are the ones I comprehend and understand the best. I just struggle so much with comprehending passages under the clock!
Thank you.

Thanks! I actually have access to the EK Reasoning Skills Book as well which is 2015, and the TPR hyper learning 2011. So if you think i should use those, let me know! I've just heard lots of positive feedback on here about EK101 passages ha

@mattns - I'd use those two resources. Take a look at our Review of All CARS Materials Available on the Market! I'd probably pick up a more recent copy of the EK 101 book if I were you (you don't have to get the newest CARS version). The MCAT is arguably the most important test you're going to take in your life (maybe step 1 is in the running, but you don't get to take step 1 without a strong MCAT). It's great to save money, but I think with CARS, you very often get what you pay for.

Hey testing solutions, I took another EK practice test today to mix it up and found my score had dropped from around 80% to 75% (in my previous posts I had been scoring 60% on T.S practice tests). This is really concerning as I'm about a 1 1/2 months from my test date March 31st and I don't seem to be improving at all. I have a couple of questions:

1. I've found I've been having the most trouble on Passage Detail, application, implication, and inference questions. I've read the sections on the 30 day guide multiple times but I still seem to be having trouble. Any advice?
2. Do you advise going back to the passage to answer questions or not going back at all? I think a large part of my problem is I spend too much time going back and forth for passage detail questions.
3. Should be working on Advanced Techniques (i.e. Hunting for Clues) or is my score so low I should be focused solely on doing passages?
4. Do you have any general advice as to where I should go from here?

Thanks.

@afcpanda - I think it's really important to not put too much emphasis on your scores on any non-AAMC practice test materials. There is a ton of variability between companies and some practice tests even within a company are more comparable to the real thing than others. If you're worried about how you're doing, do 3 to 5 AAMC CARS passages. This will give you a better idea of where you're at. As to your other questions:

1) I think if you're trying to improve on all four question types at once, you're going to be taking on too much. Start with Passage Detail question types as those are the easiest to improve on. What is it that you're normally missing? Do you not remember even reading the detail? Or is it an issue of being confused about the significance of the detail. One way to improve immediately is whenever you realize you're being asked a Passage Detail question, to stop, write down Passage Detail and the question number on your scratch paper to give you a moment to let it sink in, and then spend more time on that question than other questions. Then, when you're reviewing your passages or questions, make sure you spend extra time on the passage detail questions you've marked down.

2) The answer to number two depends on how you're timing is overall on the test. Are you rushing to finish, or do you finish early? I don't recommend going back to the passage after you've read it the first time until your timing is down and you're not having to rush to get through all the questions. Once you get to that point, it's okay to occasionally return to the passage if you know exactly what you're looking for. I don't recommend doing a general re-read though hoping to stumble across the information. If you don't know, mark the question and return to it once you've answered all the other questions for that particular passage. You'll likely better understand that passage and may have even stumbled across the detail you needed while answering another question. The quickest way to improve your score is to get your timing under control and the quickest way to get your timing under control is to stop wasting so much time going back to the passage. We have a video on timing that might help: Day 3 - Reviewing/ Timing Video - (32:23)

3) I wouldn't work on advanced techniques yet. I think those come into play after you're getting 90%+ of the questions correct. These techniques are time intensive and really only are going to benefit those who are looking to grab those last few questions. There are far easier ways for you, based on your particular challenges, to improve your score.

4) Keeping doing passages. How many are you doing a day? Have you started doing the AAMC passages? If you're serious about keeping that MCAT date, you need to ramp up your use of the AAMC passages. But remember, once they're gone, they're gone. Re-using them is of very limited benefit. Don't rush yourself to take the MCAT. This is the #1 mistake people make when taking the MCAT. I think you have plenty of time to improve before your test date though. Just keep working hard and do a lot of passages.

Hello TS,

Two questions:

1) I have been doing about two weeks worth of the beginning strategies listed in this guide. Is it normal to feel horrible for wasting the passages we can't finish in the allotted time? The timer cuts me off both while reading the passage (4 min) and while answering the questions. It hurts! :( because MCAT materials are expensive and valuable.

2) This seems silly, but how do you actually get faster at reading the passages? 75% of the time I can't finish the passages in 4 minutes. I don't feel like I am reading incredibly slow. If I speed up any more my comprehension plummets. My comprehension is sub par as it is at my current speed.

Really looking for any advice possible. As simple as it sounds, the passages I do the best on are the ones I comprehend and understand the best. I just struggle so much with comprehending passages under the clock!
Thank you.

@Thoroughbred_Med - It is normal to feel horrible for wasting passages. That is what we're trying to do! I know it's not comfortable, but it is a far worse feeling to run out of time on the real MCAT. With that said, I wouldn't be using your top resources at this point if you're running out of time. Kaplan, Next Step, and Berekely Review CARS passages were created for this. Pick up one of their books used if you're worried about running out of material. Also, it might be good to briefly remind yourself of how awful it feels to run out of time before each passage. This will help you keep your pace up.

As to your second question, if you find you simply cannot read the passage in 4 minutes, give yourself 5 instead and subtract that minute from the question answering. Down the road, you might find yourself being able to drop down to 4 minutes. With all of this said, people spend months working on the CARS section so I'd be reasonable with your expectations. If you master timing and comprehension, you've mastered the two hardest skills for the CARS. It makes sense that you'd do well on the passages you understand fully. Most people would get 80% correct today if they had all the time in the world. Unfortunately, the CARS is a timed test and it doesn't matter how well you can comprehend the passage or answer the questions without time pressure. It's a tough reality and uncomfortable to train for, but keep up the hard work.

I think as you do more passages, over time, you'll see these wrinkles ironed out.

@afcpanda - I think it's really important to not put too much emphasis on your scores on any non-AAMC practice test materials. There is a ton of variability between companies and some practice tests even within a company are more comparable to the real thing than others. If you're worried about how you're doing, do 3 to 5 AAMC CARS passages. This will give you a better idea of where you're at. As to your other questions:

1) I think if you're trying to improve on all four question types at once, you're going to be taking on too much. Start with Passage Detail question types as those are the easiest to improve on. What is it that you're normally missing? Do you not remember even reading the detail? Or is it an issue of being confused about the significance of the detail. One way to improve immediately is whenever you realize you're being asked a Passage Detail question, to stop, write down Passage Detail and the question number on your scratch paper to give you a moment to let it sink in, and then spend more time on that question than other questions. Then, when you're reviewing your passages or questions, make sure you spend extra time on the passage detail questions you've marked down.

2) The answer to number two depends on how you're timing is overall on the test. Are you rushing to finish, or do you finish early? I don't recommend going back to the passage after you've read it the first time until your timing is down and you're not having to rush to get through all the questions. Once you get to that point, it's okay to occasionally return to the passage if you know exactly what you're looking for. I don't recommend doing a general re-read though hoping to stumble across the information. If you don't know, mark the question and return to it once you've answered all the other questions for that particular passage. You'll likely better understand that passage and may have even stumbled across the detail you needed while answering another question. The quickest way to improve your score is to get your timing under control and the quickest way to get your timing under control is to stop wasting so much time going back to the passage. We have a video on timing that might help: Day 3 - Reviewing/ Timing Video - (32:23)

3) I wouldn't work on advanced techniques yet. I think those come into play after you're getting 90%+ of the questions correct. These techniques are time intensive and really only are going to benefit those who are looking to grab those last few questions. There are far easier ways for you, based on your particular challenges, to improve your score.

4) Keeping doing passages. How many are you doing a day? Have you started doing the AAMC passages? If you're serious about keeping that MCAT date, you need to ramp up your use of the AAMC passages. But remember, once they're gone, they're gone. Re-using them is of very limited benefit. Don't rush yourself to take the MCAT. This is the #1 mistake people make when taking the MCAT. I think you have plenty of time to improve before your test date though. Just keep working hard and do a lot of passages.

Thanks T.S., well I was doing about a CARS practice test every other day. I bought the T.S. 10 P-test package and was following the 13 week schedule. I was at around Week 6 when I made my last post. But, I just reschedule my MCAT for April 22nd. Should I rewind the schedule so that my exam date still falls on day 90 for my exam date? (i.e. that would mean I would revert from Week 6 back to Week 4) or should I continue on my schedule of 1 practice test every other day? OR should I ramp up the number of passages I'm doing?

Much thanks.

Hey testing solutions. I'm curious about schedule you would recommend. I'm testing on 4/22 and I'm on day 16. So about 2 weeks behind the 90 schedule.

I've read through about each day thru post a few times each that I've got to. My timing is not bad I usually have a enough time especially on the 7 question passages. Sometimes a little rushed on the five passages. I tend to take 4 min or 4.5 per passage to read it.

Is there a schedule you have already made or recommend for 60 days left? I have concerns have not knowing where I'm at score wise.
I bought the guide and all 10 of your tests. I have been just reading your posts on here. So sorry if I missed a schedule for less time. I been getting about 27/40 about an 8 according to the scale for EK 101. My scores on EK have improved from 50 to 60 percent from the start. I read the post yesterday about quality of EK verbal 101 varying between the end of the book and the rest. I'm wondering if Improved much or if the passages in test 4-5 are written better or easier than 1-3.

Basically when should I start your tests and all the aamc material since I'm behind? And should I read 2 or 3 posts per day to catch up faster? Also have tpr hyperlearning I haven't used yet. Plan on buy planning 4 or 6 next step and 1 or 2 EK full lengths. Curious to know when to incorporate other material to see how I'm doing. Currently on EK test 6. I'm currently doing about 4 passages per day. I seem to miss one question a passage for a few passages in a row then miss 3 or 4 on a harder to read passage that I don't fully understand. Thanks for any advice. I do think your tips are great I already have improved some on descriptive passages by keeping perspectives seperate and more organized and as a result ready for the questions. And the forms of an argument is already helping a lot. I currently haven't been doing keywords just have more time for verbal passages/finishing last week of content review for the sciences. Looking to score a 127 minimum but really would like 128.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hi TS, I have been using your guide for over a week. It has been great. However, you mentioned reading the first sentence of every paragraph (spend 10 to 15 seconds). That usually takes me about 30 seconds (plus the 3 seconds breathing exercise), which means a lot of time I would go over the 4 minutes time period (by 5 to 10 seconds on average, I am a slow reader). Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make sure I can speed up the preview process.

Hi TS, I just finished Day 30 of your program and I do feel like my CARs skills have improved greatly but there are a couple things I need to work on that I would appreciate some advice for:

1. For the most part my timing is well there are a good amount of passages that I can fly through or finish up about on time but then there are some passages that just take me a while to work on. How should I approach this?

2. I've noticed that sometimes there is just one or two key words in either the passage, question stem, or correct answer choice that I misinterpret or misread that cause me to answer the question incorrectly. These are the ones that cause me to slap my self in the forehead when I read the correct answer explanation or when I go back to review it and figure out what I did wrong myself. How do you recommend I get over this hump?

Thank you for everything.

Thanks T.S., well I was doing about a CARS practice test every other day. I bought the T.S. 10 P-test package and was following the 13 week schedule. I was at around Week 6 when I made my last post. But, I just reschedule my MCAT for April 22nd. Should I rewind the schedule so that my exam date still falls on day 90 for my exam date? (i.e. that would mean I would revert from Week 6 back to Week 4) or should I continue on my schedule of 1 practice test every other day? OR should I ramp up the number of passages I'm doing?

Much thanks.

@afcpanda - I'd drop back to 6 or 7 passages a day, or a number where you feel comfortable with your timing and are also able to review some of the more difficult passages and questions. How many of the AAMC passages do you have left? I think you want to be close to practicing with full-lengths roughly six weeks out from your test date. Now that you've given yourself a little more time, I'd utilize that to improve your reading comprehension and question answering. Does that make sense?

Hey testing solutions. I'm curious about schedule you would recommend. I'm testing on 4/22 and I'm on day 16. So about 2 weeks behind the 90 schedule.

I've read through about each day thru post a few times each that I've got to. My timing is not bad I usually have a enough time especially on the 7 question passages. Sometimes a little rushed on the five passages. I tend to take 4 min or 4.5 per passage to read it.

Is there a schedule you have already made or recommend for 60 days left? I have concerns have not knowing where I'm at score wise.
I bought the guide and all 10 of your tests. I have been just reading your posts on here. So sorry if I missed a schedule for less time. I been getting about 27/40 about an 8 according to the scale for EK 101. My scores on EK have improved from 50 to 60 percent from the start. I read the post yesterday about quality of EK verbal 101 varying between the end of the book and the rest. I'm wondering if Improved much or if the passages in test 4-5 are written better or easier than 1-3.

Basically when should I start your tests and all the aamc material since I'm behind? And should I read 2 or 3 posts per day to catch up faster? Also have tpr hyperlearning I haven't used yet. Plan on buy planning 4 or 6 next step and 1 or 2 EK full lengths. Curious to know when to incorporate other material to see how I'm doing. Currently on EK test 6. I'm currently doing about 4 passages per day. I seem to miss one question a passage for a few passages in a row then miss 3 or 4 on a harder to read passage that I don't fully understand. Thanks for any advice. I do think your tips are great I already have improved some on descriptive passages by keeping perspectives seperate and more organized and as a result ready for the questions. And the forms of an argument is already helping a lot. I currently haven't been doing keywords just have more time for verbal passages/finishing last week of content review for the sciences. Looking to score a 127 minimum but really would like 128.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

@biologybum - I don't think you need to force yourself to catch up with our 90 day schedule. I'd continue to do one post a day. What I would change is how many passages you're doing. If you're taking the test on 4/22 I'd make sure you're taking at least 5 to 6 passages 5 or 6 days a week (and more if you can fit them in). I'd only recommend that you review the passages and questions that really stumped you, if you got them right and were pretty confident about getting them right while you were taking the test, I wouldn't waste your time reviewing them and instead do more passages. I'd strive to burn through as many of the EK, TPR, and Testing Solutions passages as you can over the next three weeks. With a month out from your test date, then I'd flip strictly to AAMC or alternating with some TPR or Testing Solutions passages if you didn't get to all of them.

I would just make sure you're doing a lot of practice passages and trying to build good habits. We've got a tip sheet we made to help you keep track as you do passages. I'd print this out and have it sitting next to you as a reminder for the next few weeks. Best of luck and please keep the questions coming!