CARS Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you used Testing Solutions passages? What did you think?

• Yes! Very accurate, really like them a lot!

• Nope. I'm here for the free guide and that's it!

• Yes, but they stink. (Oh no....please email us at [email protected] for a refund!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi @TestingSolutions . I have been practicing using an assortment of material from EK, TPR and NextStep. I have all AAMC material as well. I'm testing in about 5 weeks. Currently, my timing is not bad - although I usually finish just on time/rush for the last passage. On average, I'm scoring 37-43/53 correct for FL's, just recently took the Testing Solutions online test 1 and scored 35/53 (although the timer stopped working I think I went over by a good 10 minutes). On the official guide questions, I managed to get 87% correct :) , but I timed each passage separately giving myself 10 minutes per passage. I seem to have hit a wall in terms of moving forward. My goal is to become like Neo in going through these passages (i.e. need a score of 130/131). I do analyze all my tests in detail after I'm done, however I often find myself losing interest/focus/having to reread parts of a passage (literally start fidgeting with fingers lol). I think it might just be a bad case of burning out - not sure though. I've also begun taking FL's twice a week at this point, and going through the lengthy process which you detail in the guide for each test's CARs section is not really feasible - I just read in detail why each answer might be wrong, sometimes taking note of patterns in my mistakes.

Any suggestions moving forward? Beginning to get anxious as I'm finding I haven't been able to really hit my target score yet. Thanks.

@TheHound - It's pretty common to feel anxious as your test date approaches. You are not alone in that. I can't emphasize enough that you have to use the correct timing for when you're taking passages. Giving yourself a rough 10 minutes per passage not only doesn't prepare you for the CARS but it actually hurts you significantly because it throws your pacing off. For a 5 question passage, 10 minutes is too much. For a 7 question passage, 10 minutes isn't enough. Please don't do this anymore. It really messes you up. The correct timing at this point in your preparation (as we outline on Day 3)

For a passage with 5 questions | 9 Minutes
For a passage with 6 questions | 10.5 Minutes
For a passage with 7 questions | 12 Minutes​

My first question would be, is your timing actually as good as you think it is? One way to test this is to take a 9 passage full-length within a firm 90 minutes (use a back up timer as well if you're worried about it not working). Are you able to finish comfortably? If your timing is good, the next question would be, how are you reviewing your passages? An undisciplined approach can live a lot of very important information on the table. If our protocol takes too long or is too much for you, do it for the two or three hardest passages. Reading the correct and incorrect answer choices isn't of that much value in helping you in the future if you don't also practice building the skills necessary to find a new and different correct answer on an entirely novel passage you've never seen before. Use our guide on Day 29 for one or two passages, focusing in particular on summarizing each paragraph and then the whole passage. Best of luck and keep your questions coming!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello there. I don't know where to begin, but I wanted to start off by saying thank you very much in advance for this guide, because I absolutely wouldn't have been able to formulate my own plan to effectively studying for this section of MCAT. Secondly, I must say that I wish I found about this guide a month sooner (I'm taking the MCAT for the first time in 57 days from today). I have to be honest and say that for the past month and a half, I've been doing nothing but wasting time, when it came to training for verbal. I've relied too heavily on the TPR's CARS strategies (which I realized gradually that most of their strategies are simply not the best for efficiently finishing the passages within the allotted time, at least for me). I have been struggling to finish one single MCAT passage under 20 minutes without really grasping the gist of the passage. For the past 6 weeks or so, I've wrongly trained myself into first learning the question types (e.g. inference, application, structure), how to attack them, attractors (e.g. right answer to wrong question, wrong reference, extreme answers), but unfortunately I haven't been able to pace myself the right away..... sorry for the wrong paragraph (there's just so much to say about how desparate I even was to get a tutor which I can't afford at this point --- tried one free trial from Jack Westin though and I learned something from that) ... so here comes my question, then as I wrap this insanely long paragraph which sums up my struggling experience in preparing for VR/CARS (and I found this guide to be the light at the end of tunnel and promising):

Knowing that I don't have 90 days till my test day but 57 days, how the schedule would change for me (i'm not the 1 month away person but really the 2 month-away person) --- i'm free for the whole summer (no job, volunteering/researching this year) --- how would the 30-plan change in this situation? should I scratch everything I've learned up to today about other plans and just start from the day 1?

Again, I apologize for the amount of writing here, but I'd say I found some hope to succeed (hopefully) in my first attempt of taking the MCAT (and my goal is +510 with +127 on CARS which at this point is pretty cocky I know but I am determined enough to work toward it just like my 10 K run training) with testing solution, so I'm willing to give this plan a shot

P.S. I've been doing online princeton passages (2 passages a day, UNTIMED) and I haven't taken a single practice test (just end of chapter passage, practice passages), as I still feel like I need to cover a lot of concepts in the science sectiosn (I forgot many of them despite taking C/P in first year undergrad) THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN FOR YOUR FREE GUIDE... I GENUINELY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!

UPDATE: i'm on the day 3 (doing 1 or 2 passages a day) and I have to say ... I get a lot of questions wrong when I time myself (can hardly finish reading the passage in 7-8 min and I still feel like I forgot a lot of what I read) .... for a few passages that I did, I was only able to do 3 questions out of 7 questions and for alot of them, I even got 0/7 --- i'm talking about the online TPR passages and I feel quite discouraged but hopefully I eventually get my pacing correct soon.

@TestingSolutions . Hey, I have been following the 90 day plan for more than 50 days now, and I take my exam in a little over 30 days.. And while at first I was definitely seeing improvement when I was doing the a small amount of passages each day. Ever since I have switched to do the FL CARS sections I have slowly seen my scores slip from the high 30s to high 20s to now the mid 2os, especially on the Testing Solutions FLs. I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course (I do not follow their CARS strategy), and while I do perform better on the CARS section of the actual FLs, I know I am doing something wrong or missing a fundamental part of the strategy.

Overall I believe my approach to the passage is much better than what it was when I took my diagnostic exam back in the beginning of June. Further, I am usually excited/pumped each time I get to take the FL as I see it as an opportunity for improvement, however the slow slipping of my scores has really started to make me lose confidence. I review the passages thoroughly afterwards (following the guidelines provided) and when reading passages, I read for structure, paragraph/passage function, modalities, etc., but it seems like it something isn't clicking.

I do not review the keyword lists anymore, which might be the root of my problem. I also stopped reviewing the information posted about question types, which I had done before since I have been spending more time on reviewing and taking FLs. Anyways, I know something has to change or something needs to be added to my regime to do better. Do you guys think that not doing keyword review is where my problem lies or something else?

Members don't see this ad :)
@TestingSolutions I have been following your guide. I just wanted to say thank you so much for doing this and always replying back to us, even though sometimes you are repeating yourself over and over again. Thank you. I am in the process of reviewing passages and I am getting the hang of it.

I have one question for you. I have read EK's strategy for CARS, and their approach is to go through question stems, THEN re-read the passage and writing summaries of each paragraph and then writing the main idea. I personally like forcing myself to read and re-read the question stems and answer choices and analyse which answer choice is wrong ( I do it for passages that I don't remember at all) and I get more than half of the questions right just by analyzing the question stems. It made me realize only 2-3 questions test the content directly.

Also, when I started reviewing the question stems first ( before I learn about your review strategy) there was an immediate and significant improvement.

What do you think about this strategy? It would be incorporating their strategy with yours and I am wondering if it will be counterproductive in a way that I am not aware of.

Last edited:
How often do you have sales on your verbal tests? I want to buy them and use this schedule, but I've spent so much money on mcat materials. I just don't feel like I can afford them right now.

Also, I've discovered this plan midway through my MCAT studying. I was planning to test on September 10th, but it doesn't look like I'll be ready by then. I haven't decided yet, but I might try and test in January (not sure how that will work since I am taking a full semester courseload, I guess I'll just stretch my studying plan out somehow). If I start this plan now, I guess I would finish it in the middle of the semester. Would this be a problem since I wouldn't be taking my mcat until January?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I just wanted to say that, even though I'm only on day 2, I feel better about my passages now than I did before. I started studying back in mid May, but I feel more confident about cars passage now that I'm using this plan. I'm sticking to the time recommendations you list based on the number of questions in each passage, and I am finding that I am improving my accuracy by taking more time on the passages.

So, with those time recommendations, if I am finishing/going faster than the time recommended, should I go back and reread over questions in the passage until I hit the recommended time mark? On the 2 passages I've done so far, I've spent the recommended time, even if it meant taking more time than I originally would have. I've found that if I go back and look at the questions (again, this has only happened with the few passages I've done so far), I change my answer and get more correct. So should I make sure to spend the recommended time on each passage even if it means just going back and checking over answers for that passage?

Also, since I started my studying some time before I found this plan, I have burned through most of my EK101 and Princeton hyperlearning passages. What other resources should I use to fill up the practice for this plan? I also have berkeley review verbal available.

@ Labrat07 - Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. Take whats useful for you and leave the rest. I'm just sharing what I've seen work for others in the past. As to your questions,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that you finish each passage with roughly one minute to spare, so for a total test, you finish about 9 minutes early. I tell students to ideally finish with 2 to 3 minutes remaining, so you're not too far off from that. Where are you at in terms of percentage correct. It's possible you could spend a little more time on the harder questions, if you're consistently picking up the easy ones and finishing on time. Do you feel like you have a deep understanding of the passage or are you constantly having to go back to refresh your memory? I'd recommend continuing what you're doing but start marking the questions you are less than 75% sure are correct. Then when you finish, go back to your marked questions. You'll pick up a few extra points this way without changing much. It's great to be finishing too early.

Thanks so much for your questions, and please do let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

..::..

Day 20 – CARS Question Formats: Negation Questions

So we are just about done with our exhaustive survey of question types and formats on the CARS. Today, we start a two-day mini-series on the different ways the CARS can ask any of the particular question types. There are three basic types, the standard question, the negation format question, and the roman numeral format question. Up to this point, all our discussions concerning question types have been with standard format questions.

Today we'll focus on negation questions and tomorrow we'll take a look at the roman numeral question format. While on the surface, including the word “NOT” in the question stem should not add that much to the difficulty of the question, but the number of negation questions missed by MCATers on test day is astounding. These are the questions you beat yourself up for when reviewing your practice test. Negation questions are the playground for stupid mistakes waiting to happen. We're going to learn how to save yourself that headache!

The Negation Question Format:

The Negation question format is not a particular type of question but is instead a way of asking a question. Thus, you could have a Main Idea or Passage Detail question asked in a Roman Numeral format, a Negation format, or in a Standard, straightforward format as you've seen throughout the question type series up to this point. The most tricky of the three for the majority of students is the Negation question.

The question stem of a Negation format will ask you to select which answer choice negates this or that thing in the passage, argument, or particular idea of the author. Usually, on the CARS, you’re looking for the positive response to a question, whereas on negation questions, you’re taking the position of the “glass half empty” type. This is a difficult switch for many test takers to make, especially when 49 or 50 of the questions you’ll complete on the CARS will be positive in nature. When a negation question comes up, spend a little extra time to get comfortable with the change in perspective. It’ll save you an incorrect answer.

Let’s take a look at a few examples.

1) The passage suggests that O’Ryan and Anderson would most likely endorse the following military policies EXCEPT:

A) The invasion of a neighboring nation due to an unavoidable shortage of water in one’s own country.
B) The military seizure of land known to contain large oil fields.
C) A national budget that increases military spending that is on par and would exceed the military budgets of all neighboring countries.
D) The blockade of a neighboring country’s rubber exports due to a severe decline in their own country’s primary financial export, rubber.​

2) Suppose that many comparative literary scholars believed that their discipline has broadened itself too much and should narrow its identity. This new information would most CHALLENGE the author’s claim that:

A) Comparative literary studies should broaden its understanding of what it considers under its domain.
B) Comparative literary studies’ cross-disciplinary approach is not the modus operandi of most intellectual work.
C) The field of comparative literary studies does not do anything, but instead is a tool to be used.
D) Comparative literary studies are a subset of little programs whose wisdom has already been integrated by most academic departments.​

3) Which of the following discoveries would be most TROUBLESOME regarding the author’s description of the development of linguistics?

A) Early grammarians were known to compare notes with grammarians of other languages.
B) Most philologists never compared languages outside of those of antiquity.
C) Linguistics encompasses both intra-language analysis and inter-language analysis.
D) An essential component of modern linguistics is understanding correct and incorrect usage within a language.

Let’s start with the first question. This is the hardest version of the Negation question because it starts you moving in one direction and then at the last moment fakes you out and asks you the exact opposite. Notice how up until the very last word you think you’ll be looking for the answer that the author would most likely endorse. Now few students will miss the word EXCEPT. They’ll read it, but then in the hustle of running through the answer choices, going back to the passage, and thinking about which medical school they’d like to get into, they’ll forget the word EXCEPT. Then they’ll see an answer choice that looks great, and is absolutely something the author would endorse and...wham! They miss the question because they forgot the word EXCEPT. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been reviewing practice tests with students, and they go “Oh NOOOO! I can’t believe I missed that one; I just misread the question stem. I knew the answer!” Those are sad moments indeed because they would have gotten the question right if they had slowed down and paid a little more attention. I have two strategies that you can use to immediately safeguard yourself against such silly mistakes.

1) Whenever you see an all capitalized word in a question stem, write that all capitalized word on your scratch paper, in capital letters, and then draw a box around it. I can’t tell you how many times on my own practice tests this saved me from selecting the wrong answer. By taking time to write the word down, you engrave the correct version of the question into your brain, and it also gives you a back-up check at the end of the question, as you’ll remember, “Oh yeah, this is a negation question. Did I read it right?”

2) Rephrase the negation part of the question to make it simpler. For some negation questions, it makes a world of difference (as is the case for question 1). For others, it doesn’t have as much of an effect, but can still be helpful (questions 2 and 3) Let’s try this with each of our example questions.​

a. For Question 1, instead of “would most likely endorse the following military policies EXCEPT: rephrase it as “would most likely REJECT which of the following:” This is so much simpler, as you clearly know you’re looking for the one the author would reject, not all the ones she would endorse EXCEPT.

b. For Question 2, try “Which answer choice is most weakened?”

c. For Question 3, try “Which discovery would hurt the author’s arguments the most?”

Be sure to keep an eye out for capitalized words in the question stems. It’s always a good idea to pause for a moment when you see such a word in order to make sure you truly understand what the question is asking you. I’d say at least a quarter of the questions students miss on the CARS is not because they don’t have the capacity to answer the questions correctly, but because they don’t actually understand what the questions are asking. Slow down on these questions!

Ok, that’s it for today. Tomorrow, we finish up all this talking of question types and formats, and then we turn our attention to what makes wrong answer choices wrong, and how the CARS comes up with them. Don’t forget to do your three passages today!

Today's Assignment:Do Three CARS Passages Consecutively, Under Timed Conditions

..::..

Action is the foundational key to all success.” – Pablo Picass0

....................​
@TestingSolutions how will it harm my CARS practice if I review the daily passages based on your "passage review guide" even if I am not finishing the passages on time?. my other question, are your products available only on Kindle /as a PDF? I bought Test one on kindle and I found it kind of hard going back and forth from page to page to review.
Looking for High Quality MCAT CARS Practice at a Reasonable Price?

I don’t want this guide to become an infomercial for our products, but I will say that our practice tests currently have over 265+ reviews on Amazon.com with an average rating of 4.5 stars. Our practice tests are the highest rated and most frequently rated CARS practice materials available on Amazon. We have (8) practice tests available (T1-T8). And if you don't want to read this entire guide here on SDN, our bundle offer includes a full length PDF version of this guide as well as some extras thrown in for good measure.

We’re currently running a 57% off bundle deal which includes five practice tests for only $24.95. If you bought these tests and guide individually off of Amazon, it would cost you $57.00, so this is a great deal but one we will only be running for a short time. Check it out below!

Sdn.png
Testing Solutions’ 5 MCAT CARS Practice Test Bundle - $24.95

Oh…and we have a 150% money back guarantee that says that if after you take one of our practice tests, you don’t think it is the hardest and most accurate CARS practice test you’ve ever taken, we’ll give you 150% of the price you paid, back no questions asked!
...​
“Excellent resource for additional CARS practice. I started using their guide and was quickly convinced [these] materials [are] the best value for your money possible! These exams are close enough to the AAMC material that I have seen so far that this is an easy buy!”

“I thought that they served as great practice and will definitely prep for any person trying to master cars…Overall I would highly recommend this to anyone, plus the price is extremely reasonable for the value of the exams!”

A lot tougher compared to any other CARS material. Enables true mastery of the skills necessary to be successful in CARS. My scores went from ranging in the 125's to 129's and still improving!

@TestingSolutions Hey! Thank you for these tips. I have followed your 30 day guide since June and have seen improvements, however I am still far away from my target score. I have been averaging about 32/53 on TPR, NextStep, and Testing Solution FL CARS exams and would like to boost my average up to 41-46/53. I have 5 weeks until testing day. I receive time and a half AAMC testing accommodations and was wondering what adjustments you would recommend to students who have this. (I have 135 mins to take CARS.)

Question 1: I am guessing that the time splits you would recommend for each passage length is:

For a passage with 5 questions | 13.5 Minutes
For a passage with 6 questions | 15.75 Minutes
For a passage with 7 questions | 18 Minutes

My strategy
When I write paragraph summaries, I struggle to finish on time. I can usually finish the first 8 passages on time, but do not have enough time to finish the last passage. I believe paragraph summaries tremendously help me stay focused, especially for those convoluted passages; however, I do sacrifice a ton of time. When I do not write paragraph summaries, I do finish FLs with time to spare, but I tend to miss some key information that helps shape my main idea interpretation and my score suffers. Question 2: Perhaps more practice not writing paragraph summaries may help my accuracy. Should I completely scrap the idea of writing paragraph summaries? Should I just write 3-5 word summaries instead of 7 word summaries? Should I only write summaries for difficult passages?

Question 3: Also, do you recommend for us to review EVERY passage on a CARS FL in the fashion you outlined online? It is very time intensive. I have only been reviewing passages that I get 3+ wrong on.

Question 4: Also, I have just started to take 5 CARS FLs every morning for a week. Do you think an increased quantity of practice will help? I do not feel burnt out.

Thank you so much for all your help. Reading comprehension has been my largest struggle since I can remember. I want to prove to myself, those who have doubted me, and my friends who look up to me and struggle with reading comprehension that if I can succeed, they can as well through your strategy.

Hello there. I don't know where to begin, but I wanted to start off by saying thank you very much in advance for this guide, because I absolutely wouldn't have been able to formulate my own plan to effectively studying for this section of MCAT. Secondly, I must say that I wish I found about this guide a month sooner (I'm taking the MCAT for the first time in 57 days from today). I have to be honest and say that for the past month and a half, I've been doing nothing but wasting time, when it came to training for verbal. I've relied too heavily on the TPR's CARS strategies (which I realized gradually that most of their strategies are simply not the best for efficiently finishing the passages within the allotted time, at least for me). I have been struggling to finish one single MCAT passage under 20 minutes without really grasping the gist of the passage. For the past 6 weeks or so, I've wrongly trained myself into first learning the question types (e.g. inference, application, structure), how to attack them, attractors (e.g. right answer to wrong question, wrong reference, extreme answers), but unfortunately I haven't been able to pace myself the right away..... sorry for the wrong paragraph (there's just so much to say about how desparate I even was to get a tutor which I can't afford at this point --- tried one free trial from Jack Westin though and I learned something from that) ... so here comes my question, then as I wrap this insanely long paragraph which sums up my struggling experience in preparing for VR/CARS (and I found this guide to be the light at the end of tunnel and promising):

Knowing that I don't have 90 days till my test day but 57 days, how the schedule would change for me (i'm not the 1 month away person but really the 2 month-away person) --- i'm free for the whole summer (no job, volunteering/researching this year) --- how would the 30-plan change in this situation? should I scratch everything I've learned up to today about other plans and just start from the day 1?

Again, I apologize for the amount of writing here, but I'd say I found some hope to succeed (hopefully) in my first attempt of taking the MCAT (and my goal is +510 with +127 on CARS which at this point is pretty cocky I know but I am determined enough to work toward it just like my 10 K run training) with testing solution, so I'm willing to give this plan a shot

P.S. I've been doing online princeton passages (2 passages a day, UNTIMED) and I haven't taken a single practice test (just end of chapter passage, practice passages), as I still feel like I need to cover a lot of concepts in the science sectiosn (I forgot many of them despite taking C/P in first year undergrad) THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN FOR YOUR FREE GUIDE... I GENUINELY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!

UPDATE: i'm on the day 3 (doing 1 or 2 passages a day) and I have to say ... I get a lot of questions wrong when I time myself (can hardly finish reading the passage in 7-8 min and I still feel like I forgot a lot of what I read) .... for a few passages that I did, I was only able to do 3 questions out of 7 questions and for alot of them, I even got 0/7 --- i'm talking about the online TPR passages and I feel quite discouraged but hopefully I eventually get my pacing correct soon.

@MCATspouse - Thanks for writing! I'll start by saying that I think you can make a lot of progress in six or seven weeks. A 127 is do-able in that time scale for most MCATers. The very first point I'll say is that taking passages untimed is probably the worst thing you can do for preparing for the MCAT CARS. Not only does it not help you at all, but it actually hurts you because you're training yourself to take all the time in the world. Your brain doesn't know the difference between passages where you should read quickly and when you have all the time in the world. I'm not surprised in the least that you're having trouble finishing a passage within 7 or 8 minutes when a lot of your practice has been untimed. This will change overtime if you start practicing with the correct passage timings as outlined on Day 3 – Reviewing/ Timing.

CARS is not something your can cram. CARS is not something that lends itself to heroic efforts of brute force. You can't do extra CARS each day and hope for it to pay off. It has to be a steady, gradual process over a long enough of period of time. I think you've got enough time, but be mindful that you have to work every day. With your time schedule, I'd recommend that you do three passages each day. Timing each passage individually. When the clock expires, that is it. Do not give yourself even one second extra. It will be painful and the first few passages will hurt a great deal when you've only answered one or two questions. But the experience of this will motivate you to read faster. At this point, I wouldn't even bother reviewing your passages. If you want to do the Keyword Review we outline on Day 9 – How to Use Keywords on one of the passages you do each day, that is fine. But don't spend a lot of time on it. After that I'd use the following schedule:

Week 1: Do four passages per day at the recommended timing intervals, doing the passages in two, two passage blocks. (e.g. If Passage 1 has 5 questions and Passage 2 has 6 questions, give yourself a total of 19.5 minutes to complete both. Repeat for the second block of passages.)

Week 2:
Do six passages per day at the recommended timing intervals, doing the passages in two, three passage blocks.

Week 3:
Do a full-length practice test every other day, reviewing the previous day’s test on your off days.

Finally, I'd focus on the first 12 days of this guide. Don't get lost in the weeds of the more advanced techniques outlined in the second half if you're still having trouble with your timing. There are only so many hours in the day and it'd be better for you to do an extra passage and work on your timing than reading about the "Author Technique."

Best of luck and keep the questions coming! Let us know how we can help

@TestingSolutions . Hey, I have been following the 90 day plan for more than 50 days now, and I take my exam in a little over 30 days.. And while at first I was definitely seeing improvement when I was doing the a small amount of passages each day. Ever since I have switched to do the FL CARS sections I have slowly seen my scores slip from the high 30s to high 20s to now the mid 2os, especially on the Testing Solutions FLs. I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course (I do not follow their CARS strategy), and while I do perform better on the CARS section of the actual FLs, I know I am doing something wrong or missing a fundamental part of the strategy.

Overall I believe my approach to the passage is much better than what it was when I took my diagnostic exam back in the beginning of June. Further, I am usually excited/pumped each time I get to take the FL as I see it as an opportunity for improvement, however the slow slipping of my scores has really started to make me lose confidence. I review the passages thoroughly afterwards (following the guidelines provided) and when reading passages, I read for structure, paragraph/passage function, modalities, etc., but it seems like it something isn't clicking.

I do not review the keyword lists anymore, which might be the root of my problem. I also stopped reviewing the information posted about question types, which I had done before since I have been spending more time on reviewing and taking FLs. Anyways, I know something has to change or something needs to be added to my regime to do better. Do you guys think that not doing keyword review is where my problem lies or something else?

@jimeneca - Thanks for writing. I think one of my first questions would be how you transitioned from a small number of passages each day to FLs. If it was too big of a jump to soon, you could simply be seeing a struggle relating to stamina. Doing nine CARS passages in a row is very difficult and few people are able to make the transition easily or without seeing a dip in scores. If you have the time before your test, you might think about dropping back down to say eight passages and doing them in two blocks of four passages each. If you do it this way, it allows you to practice your pacing without having to stay focused for an entire 90 minutes.

If you are really worried about your score, I'd recommend you do five to eight AAMC released CARS passages. This will help you in two ways: 1) It will give you the best indication of your preparedness for the MCAT and 2) Will give you a better reference point you can use for comparing other CARS materials. You'll know if a practice test is accurate or realistic once you've taken a few AAMC passages. We here at Testing Solutions do our best to have highly accurate practice tests, but we also strive to give test takers the hardest practice available. We think if you train with heavy weights, you'll do even better on test day. With that said, the scores you'll see on our tests might be slightly more discouraging with easier resources. The AAMC will always be your best indication of where you're at. You shouldn't even think about taking the MCAT without having first exhausted all of the AAMC's released practice materials.

Please let us know if you have any more questions and how we can help!

@TestingSolutions I have been following your guide. I just wanted to say thank you so much for doing this and always replying back to us, even though sometimes you are repeating yourself over and over again. Thank you. I am in the process of reviewing passages and I am getting the hang of it.

I have one question for you. I have read EK's strategy for CARS, and their approach is to go through question stems, THEN re-read the passage and writing summaries of each paragraph and then writing the main idea. I personally like forcing myself to read and re-read the question stems and answer choices and analyse which answer choice is wrong ( I do it for passages that I don't remember at all) and I get more than half of the questions right just by analyzing the question stems. It made me realize only 2-3 questions test the content directly.

Also, when I started reviewing the question stems first ( before I learn about your review strategy) there was an immediate and significant improvement.

What do you think about this strategy? It would be incorporating their strategy with yours and I am wondering if it will be counterproductive in a way that I am not aware of.

@sh.h - There are definitely some bad ideas when it comes to CARS strategies, but I'm confident there's no perfect way out there. This seems like a very reasonable approach and if it's working for you, don't change it! In our experience here at Testing Solutions, the two greatest issues facing most MCATers on the CARS are 1) Timing and 2) Comprehension. We emphasize timing ad nauseam in this guide because it is so important. But once you have timing down, what's next? We think mastering the passage is more important than mastering the questions. If you understand the passage well, you will do well on the questions, assuming your timing is good. This is why we emphasize the passage first. Reviewing passages is not about learning anything. It's about practicing. We see the review as a way of practicing the techniques you'll use live on test day. We don't recommend you read the questions first on test day, so we're not going to recommend that you read them first while reviewing. We think for most students, it will be better to practice breaking down the passage and summarizing it and then moving on to answering questions after. There is also an issue of efficiency. I think most students will review the questions, review the passage, and then have to review the questions again. If you haven't gained a better understanding of the passage, it's unlikely you'll see all that much more on your second pass. This is why we recommend what we do, but like I said, I don't think there is a right way to approach the CARS. Do what works for you.

Best of luck!

How often do you have sales on your verbal tests? I want to buy them and use this schedule, but I've spent so much money on mcat materials. I just don't feel like I can afford them right now.

Also, I've discovered this plan midway through my MCAT studying. I was planning to test on September 10th, but it doesn't look like I'll be ready by then. I haven't decided yet, but I might try and test in January (not sure how that will work since I am taking a full semester courseload, I guess I'll just stretch my studying plan out somehow). If I start this plan now, I guess I would finish it in the middle of the semester. Would this be a problem since I wouldn't be taking my mcat until January?

It really depends. We try to have some sort of discount going regularly but I'm not sure what things will look like in the future, especially once our online platform goes live. One important note, if you buy our complete practice test bundle, you'll receive all future practice tests free. Invariably, our prices go up as we add better features and create more content, but purchasing now gives you access to all of that for a lower price. I completely understand though about how expensive it can be for studying! I'd guess we'd still have some discount going if you really felt it was necessary to wait.

I think finishing in the middle of the semester wouldn't be a bad idea if you have a let course load. If it's going to be an intense semester, I'd encourage you to take a hard look at your time commitments. The single greatest obstacle for MCATers I've seen is not knowledge or ability but time. They don't give themselves enough of it. Between work, school, research, volunteer, etc. the MCAT gets short changed. Which really is unfortunate, because it plays such a critical role in admissions. Don't do this to yourself! If you decide you're going to go this direction, I'd be happy to talk more about how to use that extra time for your CARS prep. I'd encourage you to make small, measurable steps each day towards your CARS goals. This is especially true if you end up pushing back until January. With the amount of time you'd give yourself, you can achieve a very strong CARS score without too much stress if you make constant efforts over that time interval.

Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Also, I just wanted to say that, even though I'm only on day 2, I feel better about my passages now than I did before. I started studying back in mid May, but I feel more confident about cars passage now that I'm using this plan. I'm sticking to the time recommendations you list based on the number of questions in each passage, and I am finding that I am improving my accuracy by taking more time on the passages.

So, with those time recommendations, if I am finishing/going faster than the time recommended, should I go back and reread over questions in the passage until I hit the recommended time mark? On the 2 passages I've done so far, I've spent the recommended time, even if it meant taking more time than I originally would have. I've found that if I go back and look at the questions (again, this has only happened with the few passages I've done so far), I change my answer and get more correct. So should I make sure to spend the recommended time on each passage even if it means just going back and checking over answers for that passage?

Also, since I started my studying some time before I found this plan, I have burned through most of my EK101 and Princeton hyperlearning passages. What other resources should I use to fill up the practice for this plan? I also have berkeley review verbal available.

@acetylmandarin - I think it's fine to go back if you have remaining time, but as you add more passages and you start to take your passages in a consecutive block, you'll begin to move away from the hard timing guidelines we recommend early on and move towards a more intuitive approach where you invest more time in the harder passages and less time on the easier ones. If you can get through an easy five question passage in five minutes, by all means do it because that gives you four extra minutes to use on a hard seven question passage later on. The important point is to make sure you're giving each passage the amount of time it deserves without giving it too much. This only comes with practice. Little by little.

As to the materials, Here's our Review of All CARS Materials Available on the Market! I'd save your AAMC passages until you're sure you're ready to take the MCAT. Our practice tests are strong, but they are hard. So be warned. I've heard good things about NS' book, although some people have said that some of passages' don't correlate all that well. I can't say as I haven't used it yet. But it seems like a reasonably good resource that's relatively popular on SDN. I'd stay away from Kaplan and GS. They have a reputation for not being all that strong. Also maybe take a look at TBR. They're great for the sciences and have decent CARS materials. They're not the best, but they're good and will be particularly useful for getting your timing down if that's still an issue. DO NOT even think about taking all the MCAT without exhausting all of the AAMC materials. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

I think I missed the question here. Thanks for posting though! Feel free to leave any questions you have!

@TestingSolutions Hey! Thank you for these tips. I have followed your 30 day guide since June and have seen improvements, however I am still far away from my target score. I have been averaging about 32/53 on TPR, NextStep, and Testing Solution FL CARS exams and would like to boost my average up to 41-46/53. I have 5 weeks until testing day. I receive time and a half AAMC testing accommodations and was wondering what adjustments you would recommend to students who have this. (I have 135 mins to take CARS.)

Question 1: I am guessing that the time splits you would recommend for each passage length is:

For a passage with 5 questions | 13.5 Minutes
For a passage with 6 questions | 15.75 Minutes
For a passage with 7 questions | 18 Minutes

My strategy
When I write paragraph summaries, I struggle to finish on time. I can usually finish the first 8 passages on time, but do not have enough time to finish the last passage. I believe paragraph summaries tremendously help me stay focused, especially for those convoluted passages; however, I do sacrifice a ton of time. When I do not write paragraph summaries, I do finish FLs with time to spare, but I tend to miss some key information that helps shape my main idea interpretation and my score suffers. Question 2: Perhaps more practice not writing paragraph summaries may help my accuracy. Should I completely scrap the idea of writing paragraph summaries? Should I just write 3-5 word summaries instead of 7 word summaries? Should I only write summaries for difficult passages?

Question 3: Also, do you recommend for us to review EVERY passage on a CARS FL in the fashion you outlined online? It is very time intensive. I have only been reviewing passages that I get 3+ wrong on.

Question 4: Also, I have just started to take 5 CARS FLs every morning for a week. Do you think an increased quantity of practice will help? I do not feel burnt out.

Thank you so much for all your help. Reading comprehension has been my largest struggle since I can remember. I want to prove to myself, those who have doubted me, and my friends who look up to me and struggle with reading comprehension that if I can succeed, they can as well through your strategy.

@helpabrotha - Thanks for writing and great questions! As to Q1, I'd never thought about this before, but on my first pass I think multiplying by 1.5 works well. I'll think about it more, but I wouldn't see why this wouldn't be the case. Very good question and thank you for bringing it to my attention. They are a lot of people that are in a similar boat and it's good to have this information out there.

Q2: I'll speak to general circumstances, but you'll have to decide based on your strengths and weaknesses what works best for you. I am not a fan of writing paragraph summaries while taking doing actual practice passages. We go into this in more detail on Day 4 – MCAT CARS Myths: The “Don'ts” and Day 5 – How to Approach the MCAT CARS Section – The Passage. I think the summaries become a distraction and also a time sink. If you can find a way to continue to do your passage summaries and get to that ninth passage, I think you're fine, but I suspect the reason you're having trouble with timing is that its very difficult to invest time writing summaries and finish on time. The test was not created for you to be able to do this. I think a far better approach is to do your passages straight through without summaries. Assuming your timing is on track, then use our review methods to practice summarizing the passages after the fact. This way you're both improving your timing while actually taking the test, but after the fact, you're also improving your ability to summarize a passage. Over time, this will become second nature and you won't have to think about it. In this approach, you get the best of both worlds. We go into much greater detail regarding reviewing passages on Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test.

Q3: Assuming your timing is on track, if you have the time, do it for all of the passage. If you don't, only do it for the two or three hardest passages. I think doing our review method for a passage correctly takes around 35 minutes. Most people don't have five hours to dedicate to reviewing one CARS test. Doing two or three of the hardest passages is much more manageable. I'd encourage you to invest more time in your CARS prep early because overtime, as you get better, you won't need as much time to review. It's better to spend three hours a day on CARS for your first month and one hour a day for the last two months than one hour a day for the first two months and three hours a day trying to cram right up until your test day during the last month.

Q4: When you say FLs I'm assuming you're referring to passages and you're taking five CARS passages each morning. I think that is a good number if the timing feels good and doesn't feel overwhelming. The best way to prepare for the CARS is gradually over time, stair stepping the number of passages you do. Almost no one can start out at nine passages and do well. That's why it is so beneficial if you can, to give yourself the time to work your way up to the correct pacing and stamina.

@TestingSolutions Thank you so much for all the posts, it has been very helpful to me. CARS is my biggest struggle on the MCAT . Even though English is my second language and my poor vocabulary is a challenge to quiqle understand the passage , I am determent to do what it take to get >125 on CARs. 1. I am full time employ with family , I have 3 days off a week though, how can I adjust the Testingsolution 90 day car schedule? (planing to take the test January 2017)
2. I am ESL, what do you advice me to improve my comprehension skill and do well on the MCAT CAR?

I appreciate any advice and I am determined to do anything to get the score I need.

@TestingSolutions

So I went through your 30 day guide and I am about 42 days away from my exam (Sept. 10th). I am struggling a little bit right now. I have done the first two exams that you provide, and keep missing an average of about 2 per passage, giving me 15 - 17 wrong per full exam. When I was doing TPRH practice, I feel as though I was doing better. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really need to kill this thing. Also, when should I start using AAMC question packs for CARS? I am going to get in the gear of taking full lengths soon and so I feel like I should have QP done for the subjects before I get into that. What do you think?

Thank you for the help!

Hello,
So I've been following doing passages regularly with full CARS test every other day. But I'm at 124 on the TPR online tests, 67-74% on the EK tests and TPR book. I usually mess up on Inference questions. I can finish reading the passage in under 4min yet I have to rush through one passage at least on the full test. I have about a month to test day, kinda nerve wrecking. Do you have any tips on how to improve accuracy even when the passages are convoluted and dense cause these tend to be tricky for me? Also, what should I do in these last few weeks?

Thanks

In the 30 day guide you mentioned that you had seen many ppl go from 122 to 128 in a month so, what was their technique, how did they do it?

As someone who has been following this guide and read the related posts and applied the strategies, I can share with you my experience.

There is no secret to it. There is a guide, detailed and well-writen and at least to me, is the one that makes sense.

If you decide to follow this guide, stick to it.

I have started reviewing only 1-2 and RARELY 3 passages thoroughly and would probably spend 1:15 on each, I would do the keywords, look up in the dictionary for definitions and even track down the root ( I love linguistics) so that if a similar word comes up, I will be able to figure the meaning out.

As soon as I stopped reviewing thoroughly and WITHOUT the keywords, even though I was reviewing 4-5 passages ( 35 min each) my score dropped by at least 7 points.

All I want to say is that, there is no shortcut. Do not skip steps like I did. And there is no reason to not succeed.

@TestingSolutions
Hi, I'm on day 17 of your guide. I read the guide everyday, but I feel like I'm not really retaining/using any of the tips that you give. It is difficult to read the guide and actually consciously use the tips as I'm trying to do passages. I have been consistently getting about 2 or 3 questions wrong per passage unfortunately. And I'm still having trouble with timing for the really long, convoluted passages. On philosophy/theory passages I usually go way over time and then miss a majority of the questions. I was just doing passage II in practice exam 4 in the 2012 edition of the hyperlearning workbook, and it took me 16 mins, when I was shooting for 12. I also missed 4 of the 7 questions. Do you have tips for how to use your tips while reading/how to approach the really difficult passages?

@TestingSolutions
Hello,
So I've been following doing passages regularly with full CARS test every other day. But I'm at 124 on the TPR online tests, 67-74% on the EK tests and TPR book. I usually mess up on Inference questions. I can finish reading the passage in under 4min yet I have to rush through one passage at least on the full test. I have about a month to test day, kinda nerve wrecking. Do you have any tips on how to improve accuracy even when the passages are convoluted and dense cause these tend to be tricky for me? Also, what should I do in these last few weeks?
In the 30 day guide you mentioned that you had seen many ppl go from 122 to 128 in a month so, what was their technique, how did they do it?

Thanks

@TestingSolutions

Thanks for the great advice! I wish I found this sooner! I'm writing in 3 weeks, and when I'm practicing passages I'm consistently getting 2-3 wrong per passage (using EK 101). I'm consistently finishing passages 2-3 min early, and often missing small details in the passage that lead me to the wrong answer. I've been reading through your posts (currently at day 14) but I can't seem to identify my problem. Slowing down when reading didn't seem to help me retain information - I know you're supposed to landmark and not memorize when you read, but I'm also trying to train myself to avoid going back to the passage for every question when I'm not 100% confident in the answer. Any advice?

@TestingSolutions Thank you so much for all the posts, it has been very helpful to me. CARS is my biggest struggle on the MCAT . Even though English is my second language and my poor vocabulary is a challenge to quiqle understand the passage , I am determent to do what it take to get >125 on CARs. 1. I am full time employ with family , I have 3 days off a week though, how can I adjust the Testingsolution 90 day car schedule? (planing to take the test January 2017)
2. I am ESL, what do you advice me to improve my comprehension skill and do well on the MCAT CAR?

I appreciate any advice and I am determined to do anything to get the score I need.

@net haile - Thanks for writing. While it might be difficult at times balancing a family and a fulltime job, I think there is a lot you can still do with your situation. I'd recommend taking one passage on the days you work fulltime and then taking three passages on your days off. Do this for two weeks straight. Then add one passage, where you're doing two passages on days you work fulltime and four passages on the days off. After two more weeks, up it to three passages on work days and five passages on two of your three "off days." When you get into the full swing of studying, I'd highly recommend that you leave one of your days off completely free to stay connected with your family and to take time for yourself. The MCAT is a marathon. If you're able to study 1 to 1.5 hours on your work days and around 9 hours on two of your three days off, I think its very possible for you to do well on the MCAT. At max force, I'd recommend spending 0.5 hour per workday on CARS (don't worry about reviewing your workday passages) and then work up to 2 to 2.5 hours (including taking the passages and reviewing a couple of them) on two of your three days off.

As to the ESL part, there are many physicians in the US for whom English is not their first language and they did just fine on the CARS/Verbal. The key is to make sure you have a strong base in reading. How much reading have you done in English? How strong is your vocabulary. I'd suggest keeping a notebook and writing down anywords that you're not certain of their meaning. Dont' write them down as you're taking the passage, but wait until you finish. Reread the harder passages and highlight anywords you don't know. Look these up and create some flashcards. Overtime, you'll find that you're building your MCAT vocabulary. Within a month or two, vocabulary won't be as much of an issue.

The major truth is that CARS and more generally, the MCAT, will take the time it takes for you to prepare. You can say, "I'm taking it in January 2017" but you're going to have to be flexible an honest with yourself as to whether or not you have enough time to get there. I think you probably do, but I'd encourage you to keep an open mind. You have some pretty serious constraints that you're going to have to navigate and while it's easy to say "I'm going to work hard and this is when I'm going to take the MCAT" it's possible that balancing a full-time job and your responsibilities in your family, you may not have as much time as you think. I wouldn't worry about it until you get closer to your date, but I'm just flagging this for you. There are many successful physicians out there that have been in your exact situation, but in general, they had to work harder and their studying for the MCAT took much, much longer than most. Realize that most MCATers take between 2.5 and 3 months of solid full-time study to do well on the MCAT. There aren't really any shortcuts for most people. You'll have to get that 480 hours (12 weeks x 40 hrs) in somehow. And usually that means spreading it out over a much larger period of time.

You can do this! I'm just offering you both sides of the equation so you know what to expect. Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

@TestingSolutions

So I went through your 30 day guide and I am about 42 days away from my exam (Sept. 10th). I am struggling a little bit right now. I have done the first two exams that you provide, and keep missing an average of about 2 per passage, giving me 15 - 17 wrong per full exam. When I was doing TPRH practice, I feel as though I was doing better. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really need to kill this thing. Also, when should I start using AAMC question packs for CARS? I am going to get in the gear of taking full lengths soon and so I feel like I should have QP done for the subjects before I get into that. What do you think?

Thank you for the help!

John Scotty - Thanks for writing! I think the first thing I'd offer is that our practice tests are designed to be more difficult than the real MCAT (roughly 10 to 15% more difficult). So keep this in mind as you use our materials in comparison with other tests. If you're 42 days away, I'd recommend you start using the AAMC question packs now. I'd do one day of AAMC passages and the next day use a prep companies passages. Rotate back and forth. As your test gets closer (maybe four weeks out) up your AAMC usage even more. How many passages are you taking a day? Have you taken the study guide passages? Or used the two AAMC released practice tests? These will be great resources too as your date gets closer.

My big recommendation would be to take a few minutes after your passages and look at the two questions you're missing. If you're missing a couple of questions per passage consistently acrosst the board (and not missing 7 or 8 at the end of the test due to running out of time) this tells me you'd be wise to start reviewing your passages more. Take a look at our keyword review. This might be a good place to begin as it will help your reading comphrension. After doing the keyword review for a couple of weeks, MCATers usually see a pretty decent jump in their scores because they're learning to see the flow of passages better and are then able to more easily break them down and understand the author's main point. The keyword review is what I'd recommend at this point. Realize that studyinig for the CARS takes time and you're not likely to see huge jumps in your score over night. As you take more passages, you'll see that you're picking up one or two more questions than you used to. Over time, that will turn into four or five. By the time you're test date arrives, you'll see a big difference. The reality is that gains on the CARS are gradual and at times agonzingly slow. Hang in there! Best of luck and please let us know how we can help!

Hello,

Thanks

@Student_16 - If you're rushing through one passage still on a full-length, while not bad, your timing is still somewhat off. A rushed passage can equal 4 or even 5 questions wrong in the last two passages that you might not miss normally. I"d recommend that you not allow yourself to go back to the passage after finishing reading the passage. If you do, you'll find you're not having to rush anymore. Then, slowly titrate your "look backs" to one or two times per passage. Over time, you'll find the right number of times for you. If you iron out your timing, you'll see your score jump 7 or 8 percentage points which would get you well into the 126 range. I'm not sure where we've said that we've seen many students go from 122 to 128 in a month. While it happens, it isn't common. Usually we see these sorts of jumps when someone is having a catastrophic breakdown with timing and once that gets ironed out their natural abilities take over and shine. With that said, I think you could solidly be in the 126 range and if you're working with a solid base of skills, 127 and 128 is definietly possible.

I'd first make sure your timing is down. Once it is and you're no longer rushing that last paragraph, I'd recommend that you select the two or three hardest passages of your practice test and do our full review protocol (Day 29). Inference questions are necessary, unstated conclusions, internal to the argument. If you're struggling with Inference questions, this tells me that there are gaps in your comprehension of the passage. If you practice summarizing and breaking down the different ideas in the passage (which is what our reviewi protocol forces you to do) over time, you'll find that you're doing this instictively which will not only help with your Inference questions, but will also help your score over all.

@TestingSolutions
Hi, I'm on day 17 of your guide. I read the guide everyday, but I feel like I'm not really retaining/using any of the tips that you give. It is difficult to read the guide and actually consciously use the tips as I'm trying to do passages. I have been consistently getting about 2 or 3 questions wrong per passage unfortunately. And I'm still having trouble with timing for the really long, convoluted passages. On philosophy/theory passages I usually go way over time and then miss a majority of the questions. I was just doing passage II in practice exam 4 in the 2012 edition of the hyperlearning workbook, and it took me 16 mins, when I was shooting for 12. I also missed 4 of the 7 questions. Do you have tips for how to use your tips while reading/how to approach the really difficult passages?

@acetylmandarin - It can be hard to change your old habits. This is pretty common, so don't feel discouraged you're struggling to apply what you're reading. I think one thing you could do is take a look at this handout we have which breaks down our most important tips. Print it out and keep it beside you as you take your passages. Read it before you start every CARS study session and then read it again at the end of every CARS study session to see which tips you didn't do.

As to timing, you should never allow yourself to go over your passage time limit. Even if you don't answer a single question, when the timer goes off for that passage, you're done. I can't stress this enough. Not only are you not helping yourself, but you're actually hurting yourself. When you allow yourself to spend 16 minutes on a passage, you are destroying your pacing intuition and training yourself in the very worst of habits. I don't mean to be harsh about this, but you simply can't let yourself get into this habit. If timing is a real issue for you, time each passage individually with our recommended time intervals. When the timer goes off, that's it. You're done. Move on. Not a single second more. The pain of leaving two or three questions unanswered a few times will speed you up. You're remember those questions and not want it to happen again. Another critical point is to not go back to the passage after you've finished reading the passage once through. If you're struggling this much with time (for the seven question passage you referenced you were over 30% your time limit) you simply cannot go back to the passage while doing the questions. Read slowlyl and thoroughly on your first passage and then don't let yourself go back. Once your timing gets worked out, then start to allow yourself one or two look backs per passage. As your timing gets better and you get more comfortable, you'll develop an intiution about when its ok to look back and when you need to let go of the question and move on.

Please keep the questions coming! You've got this. Keep up the hard work

@TestingSolutions

Thanks for the great advice! I wish I found this sooner! I'm writing in 3 weeks, and when I'm practicing passages I'm consistently getting 2-3 wrong per passage (using EK 101). I'm consistently finishing passages 2-3 min early, and often missing small details in the passage that lead me to the wrong answer. I've been reading through your posts (currently at day 14) but I can't seem to identify my problem. Slowing down when reading didn't seem to help me retain information - I know you're supposed to landmark and not memorize when you read, but I'm also trying to train myself to avoid going back to the passage for every question when I'm not 100% confident in the answer. Any advice?

@banana_monkeyy - If you're finishing the passage 2 to 3 minutes early, you need to allow yourself to go back to the passage when necessary. The goal is not to elminate returning to the passage. We recommend not returning to the passage for those MCATers who are taking way too long to finish the passage. Someone who is taking an extra five minutes has no business going back to the passage, but in your case, you're probably missing questions because you're not going back and rechecking details. Don't go overboard, but I think you'll see yourself picking up two or three more questions per practice test if you start allowing yourself to go back some.

As to comprehension and improving your score, I'd recommend you start investing more time reviewing passages and practicing sumarizing them. Use our full-review protocol (Day 29) for two or three passages a day. Keep up your number of passages but with this added review, you'll find yourself improving at breaking down passages and getting at the most important ideas more quickly.

Does this make sense? Best of luck on your MCAT and let us know how we can help!

@banana_monkeyy - If you're finishing the passage 2 to 3 minutes early, you need to allow yourself to go back to the passage when necessary. The goal is not to elminate returning to the passage. We recommend not returning to the passage for those MCATers who are taking way too long to finish the passage. Someone who is taking an extra five minutes has no business going back to the passage, but in your case, you're probably missing questions because you're not going back and rechecking details. Don't go overboard, but I think you'll see yourself picking up two or three more questions per practice test if you start allowing yourself to go back some.

As to comprehension and improving your score, I'd recommend you start investing more time reviewing passages and practicing sumarizing them. Use our full-review protocol (Day 29) for two or three passages a day. Keep up your number of passages but with this added review, you'll find yourself improving at breaking down passages and getting at the most important ideas more quickly.

Does this make sense? Best of luck on your MCAT and let us know how we can help!

Thanks for the tips! Would you also recommend doing the keywords exercise from day 9 when reviewing passages?

@acetylmandarin - It can be hard to change your old habits. This is pretty common, so don't feel discouraged you're struggling to apply what you're reading. I think one thing you could do is take a look at this handout we have which breaks down our most important tips. Print it out and keep it beside you as you take your passages. Read it before you start every CARS study session and then read it again at the end of every CARS study session to see which tips you didn't do.

As to timing, you should never allow yourself to go over your passage time limit. Even if you don't answer a single question, when the timer goes off for that passage, you're done. I can't stress this enough. Not only are you not helping yourself, but you're actually hurting yourself. When you allow yourself to spend 16 minutes on a passage, you are destroying your pacing intuition and training yourself in the very worst of habits. I don't mean to be harsh about this, but you simply can't let yourself get into this habit. If timing is a real issue for you, time each passage individually with our recommended time intervals. When the timer goes off, that's it. You're done. Move on. Not a single second more. The pain of leaving two or three questions unanswered a few times will speed you up. You're remember those questions and not want it to happen again. Another critical point is to not go back to the passage after you've finished reading the passage once through. If you're struggling this much with time (for the seven question passage you referenced you were over 30% your time limit) you simply cannot go back to the passage while doing the questions. Read slowlyl and thoroughly on your first passage and then don't let yourself go back. Once your timing gets worked out, then start to allow yourself one or two look backs per passage. As your timing gets better and you get more comfortable, you'll develop an intiution about when its ok to look back and when you need to let go of the question and move on.

Please keep the questions coming! You've got this. Keep up the hard work

Thank you. I recently switched to the berkeley review verbal reasoning because I ran out of EK101 and TPRH passages. I'm now on day 22 of the guide. My scores have dropped significantly since switching to BR (before I would miss about 2 per passage, now I am only getting 2 or 3 correct per passage), I just started today doing 4 passages in a block, but I couldn't finish them in time, and I also missed a TON of questions. I'm not sure if it's just because of the different style of BR, but I've noticed that a lot of their questions are really long.....But it does say in the front of the book that it simulates the real thing. Maybe I should go back to doing just one passage at a time. I sort of had my timing down before, but now I'm starting to flop

This post is a bit longer than average, but if you have a minute and 30 seconds, it may help you. I hope it does.

I have this feeling that when you guys see a living ( recent) proof, you will be encouraged to stick with this guide. Also, I do not have any affiliation with testing solution, I am just grateful that @TestingSolutions exists.
I am a random soul who came across this guide 2 months ago.

1. CARS section: The first section I started working for, because, as the guide mentions is the one that takes a lot of time. I consistently did 1,2,3, passages and worked my way up. I can finish 9 passages within 5 minutes, still working on comprehension.

When I took a half length, CARS = 68%. Still needs A LOT MORE work, BUT My highest score.

So yeah testing solution was right, you can turn CARS into your strongest.

2. English is my third language. I understand a little bit when there are over 20 words we dont understand, it makes the whole passage blurry, whether English is your first, second, third, forth language.

As @TestingSolutions mentioned, looking up words and making words sheets helps. This is how I learned two languages.
You are already smart enough and words you are unfamiliar with do not define you. Look them up. Look up the ROOT, so next time a similar word comes up, you have an idea about what it could mean.
Also remember, even if you dont know the ROOT, the context helps you to give the unfamiliar word a meaning.

Conclusion: if I can, you can. You do not have to believe in yourself everyday. But you have to try. Be patient with yourself. And stick to this guide. Suffering does not equal success.

@TestingSolutions Cant thank you enough. I am sure my score will eventually get better.

Last edited:
@net haile - Thanks for writing. While it might be difficult at times balancing a family and a fulltime job, I think there is a lot you can still do with your situation. I'd recommend taking one passage on the days you work fulltime and then taking three passages on your days off. Do this for two weeks straight. Then add one passage, where you're doing two passages on days you work fulltime and four passages on the days off. After two more weeks, up it to three passages on work days and five passages on two of your three "off days." When you get into the full swing of studying, I'd highly recommend that you leave one of your days off completely free to stay connected with your family and to take time for yourself. The MCAT is a marathon. If you're able to study 1 to 1.5 hours on your work days and around 9 hours on two of your three days off, I think its very possible for you to do well on the MCAT. At max force, I'd recommend spending 0.5 hour per workday on CARS (don't worry about reviewing your workday passages) and then work up to 2 to 2.5 hours (including taking the passages and reviewing a couple of them) on two of your three days off.

As to the ESL part, there are many physicians in the US for whom English is not their first language and they did just fine on the CARS/Verbal. The key is to make sure you have a strong base in reading. How much reading have you done in English? How strong is your vocabulary. I'd suggest keeping a notebook and writing down anywords that you're not certain of their meaning. Dont' write them down as you're taking the passage, but wait until you finish. Reread the harder passages and highlight anywords you don't know. Look these up and create some flashcards. Overtime, you'll find that you're building your MCAT vocabulary. Within a month or two, vocabulary won't be as much of an issue.

The major truth is that CARS and more generally, the MCAT, will take the time it takes for you to prepare. You can say, "I'm taking it in January 2017" but you're going to have to be flexible an honest with yourself as to whether or not you have enough time to get there. I think you probably do, but I'd encourage you to keep an open mind. You have some pretty serious constraints that you're going to have to navigate and while it's easy to say "I'm going to work hard and this is when I'm going to take the MCAT" it's possible that balancing a full-time job and your responsibilities in your family, you may not have as much time as you think. I wouldn't worry about it until you get closer to your date, but I'm just flagging this for you. There are many successful physicians out there that have been in your exact situation, but in general, they had to work harder and their studying for the MCAT took much, much longer than most. Realize that most MCATers take between 2.5 and 3 months of solid full-time study to do well on the MCAT. There aren't really any shortcuts for most people. You'll have to get that 480 hours (12 weeks x 40 hrs) in somehow. And usually that means spreading it out over a much larger period of time.

You can do this! I'm just offering you both sides of the equation so you know what to expect. Best of luck and keep the questions coming!
@TestingSolutions Thank you for your advice. I know Testingsolutions have 9 CARS practice tests but I already bought 2 of them (T1 and T2).
"Nine Full-Length Practice Tests
For Only $29.95" – I saw this and was wondering if you have any discount if I wanted to buy the rest 7 tests. Thanks

Thanks for the tips! Would you also recommend doing the keywords exercise from day 9 when reviewing passages?

@banana_monkeyy - Sorry for the slow response! I just started medical school and it has been crazy! I'd recommend during the keyword on roughly 20 passages or so, depending on how long it takes you to get the feel for it. You want to get yourself to the point that you are noticing the keywords as your read. They should pop out at you. Whenever you see "but" or "however" or "and" you should know what these words signal in terms of structure and direction. It's probably not a bad idea to do the keyword review every 10 passages or so (maybe once per practice test) just to keep your skills fresh and the words in your mind. We want to train your eye to see these words and have an intuition about what they mean. Once you see yourself getting the hang of them, it's okay to move on in your review strategies! Best of luck and sorry again on the slow response!

Thank you. I recently switched to the berkeley review verbal reasoning because I ran out of EK101 and TPRH passages. I'm now on day 22 of the guide. My scores have dropped significantly since switching to BR (before I would miss about 2 per passage, now I am only getting 2 or 3 correct per passage), I just started today doing 4 passages in a block, but I couldn't finish them in time, and I also missed a TON of questions. I'm not sure if it's just because of the different style of BR, but I've noticed that a lot of their questions are really long.....But it does say in the front of the book that it simulates the real thing. Maybe I should go back to doing just one passage at a time. I sort of had my timing down before, but now I'm starting to flop

@acetylmandarin - Thanks for writing and sorry for the slow response! As I said above, I just started medical school and it's been quite the whirl wind to say the least. A few thoughts and questions:

1) Have you used your AAMC CARS passages yet? This is so important it would be difficult for me to overstate. So many students wait too long to use the AAMC materials and then they never get to them. If you're out of your preferred materials, be sure to use up the AAMC ones.

2) Here's our Review of All CARS Materials Available on the Market! I think Berkeley Review is good, but you've got to be careful when you start comparing companies passages (I was scoring at this level on EK, this level on TPRH, and this level on Berkeley) because the truth is that everyone besides the AAMC is just giving you their best guess. Some of these guesses are pretty good, and some of them are not. If you're looking for the best measure of where you're at, re-read #1.

3) If you're running out of time while doing a four passage block, try a three passage block. If you're still having trouble, I'd recommend you back off from trying to do more than one passage at once. Instead, do one passage at a time. Set the timer for our recommended timing intervals and do the passage.

For a passage with 5 questions | 9 Minutes
For a passage with 6 questions | 10.5 Minutes
For a passage with 7 questions | 12 Minutes​

When the timer goes off, that's the end of that passage and you start with passage two. Reset the timer for the correct amount and do passage II. After a few days or a week of this, you will be moving on and your timing will improve. Also, it's important to remember to not go back to the passage if you're running out of time. The reason you're running out of time is that you're going back to the passage too frequently. Read through the passage slowly and thoroughly (3 to 4 minutes) and then give yourself a minute per question. After you read through the passage the first time, don't allow yourself to go back. You'll almost instantly see your timing issues go away and while your score might drop a little bit, after a few days/week of this sort of practice, you'll get used to reading and doing passages this way. Once you're no longer running out of time, then allow yourself to go back to the passage every so often, but don't do it too much or you'll just wind up with your timing problems again.

Keep up the good work and feel free to ask more questions! Best of luck!

This post is a bit longer than average, but if you have a minute and 30 seconds, it may help you. I hope it does.

I have this feeling that when you guys see a living ( recent) proof, you will be encouraged to stick with this guide. Also, I do not have any affiliation with testing solution, I am just grateful that @TestingSolutions exists.
I am a random soul who came across this guide 2 months ago.

1. CARS section: The first section I started working for, because, as the guide mentions is the one that takes a lot of time. I consistently did 1,2,3, passages and worked my way up. I can finish 9 passages within 5 minutes, still working on comprehension.

When I took a half length, CARS = 68%. Still needs A LOT MORE work, BUT My highest score.

So yeah testing solution was right, you can turn CARS into your strongest.

2. English is my third language. I understand a little bit when there are over 20 words we dont understand, it makes the whole passage blurry, whether English is your first, second, third, forth language.

As @TestingSolutions mentioned, looking up words and making words sheets helps. This is how I learned two languages.
You are already smart enough and words you are unfamiliar with do not define you. Look them up. Look up the ROOT, so next time a similar word comes up, you have an idea about what it could mean.
Also remember, even if you dont know the ROOT, the context helps you to give the unfamiliar word a meaning.

Conclusion: if I can, you can. You do not have to believe in yourself everyday. But you have to try. Be patient with yourself. And stick to this guide. Suffering does not equal success.

@TestingSolutions Cant thank you enough. I am sure my score will eventually get better.

@sh.h - I'm terribly sorry for the slow response. I just started medical school and it's just as busy as intense as they say! Big surprise : ) Thanks for the kind words sh.h and please keep us posted on your progress. And of course, let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

@TestingSolutions Thank you for your advice. I know Testingsolutions have 9 CARS practice tests but I already bought 2 of them (T1 and T2).
"Nine Full-Length Practice Tests
For Only $29.95" – I saw this and was wondering if you have any discount if I wanted to buy the rest 7 tests. Thanks

@net haile - Sorry for the slow response! We run different deals at different times of year, so while that one has expired we will likely have another one soon. If you've already got T1 and T2, take a look at this bundle of T3-T8. Thanks so much and best of luck on your MCAT! Let us know how we can help.

I see a deal for a T1-T6 and then your recent link for T3-T8. Are you offering a bundle for T1-T8? Or even better T1-T9?

Hey Testing Solutions,

I am on Day 24 of the book. I started out great. Ending with extra time, and scoring decent (around 70%). But now I am up to 5 passages a day, and I miss one or two on the first three, then timing gets me and I miss like 6 on the last two. My timing was great up until I started reaching four passages. Do you have any advice on what went wrong? I have been following this book to a "T".

-Air

Hello,

Would you say that your materials are deflated? Or if you scored a 125 on one of your FL's then is that fairly representative of what your score will be on the actual MCAT? I have heard that your materials are significantly harder than the AAMC materials.

Just purchased the T1-T10 bundle and I am confused on what is the best way to do these passages? Would you recommend printing the passages and doing the questions from kindle? Is there a way to convert kindle questions to a pdf ? I just want to make sure timing is not effected by this method, however. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

Just purchased the T1-T10 bundle and I am confused on what is the best way to do these passages? Would you recommend printing the passages and doing the questions from kindle? Is there a way to convert kindle questions to a pdf ? I just want to make sure timing is not effected by this method, however. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

I had the passages in PDF form and then another window on my laptop with the Kindle Reader and questions. I used pencil / paper to record my answers as I went through. The format is so bad... I think the guy that does it is now is med school though so it's sad an online format was never made.

I had the passages in PDF form and then another window on my laptop with the Kindle Reader and questions. I used pencil / paper to record my answers as I went through. The format is so bad... I think the guy that does it is now is med school though so it's sad an online format was never made.
How is CARS on the actual MCAT structured? It's probably a big waste of time to go back to the passage huh? Or is it easy to navigate back and forth?

I purchased the T1-T10 bundle, and I am currently reading your comprehensive 30 day guide. I am on the part where you list the 90 day schedule, I want to follow this except I am having a hard time for the following reasons: 1) I have not signed up for an exam date yet. 2) I have done a majority of the passages already, albeit not entirely successful. Does it make sense to redo them as I feel I will answer based off memory and not comprehension? I have done EK 101 pre MCAT 2015, TPRH workbook, AAMC cars passages, sample test, EK exams 1 and 4.
Any information is appreciated!

I see a deal for a T1-T6 and then your recent link for T3-T8. Are you offering a bundle for T1-T8? Or even better T1-T9?
@kstorm - Sorry for the slow response. As someone else said, I'm an M1 at Stanford and everything they say about medical school being hard is actually true! I am the one who manages the SDN account, but I may have to spread out the responsibilities a little more throughout the Testing Solutions team so we can respond quicker. Sorry!

In regards to our bundles, we run different deals throughout the testing cycle and it's hard for me to comment on the when/ how of our discounts as they change depending on our sales. I'm hesitant to write anything because I know people will come to this thread later and reading something that might later be confusing. We currently have practice tests T1 through T10 released and for all of our bundle deals, you're usually given the option at checkout to add the remaining practice tests. Each and every one of our practice tests is always available through Amazon.com, but as you well know, buying directly from our site usually offers a decent discount (at least as much as we possibly can).

Best of luck and sorry again for the slow response!

Hey Testing Solutions,

I am on Day 24 of the book. I started out great. Ending with extra time, and scoring decent (around 70%). But now I am up to 5 passages a day, and I miss one or two on the first three, then timing gets me and I miss like 6 on the last two. My timing was great up until I started reaching four passages. Do you have any advice on what went wrong? I have been following this book to a "T".

-Air

@akraehmer - To make sure I understand correctly, you were able to do three passages in a block without timing issues, but when you stepped up to four passages in a block, it was too much? And now that you're at five passages per day, you're really starting to struggle with time. If that is correct, here's what I'd recommend:

Still do four or five passages a day, but break them up into two timing blocks. For example:

Block 1:

Passage I - 6Q - 10.5 minutes
Passage II - 5Q - 9 minutes
Passage III - 7Q - 12 minutes
Total Time: 31.5 minutes

Set the timer for 31.5 minutes and do your first three passages.​

Block 2:

Passage IV - 6Q - 10.5 minutes
Passage V - 7Q - 12 minutes
Total Time: 22.5 minutes

*Immediately after completing Block 1, reset your timer for 22.5 minutes and start Block 2
I like this strategy because it allows you to finish 5 passages a day (building up your mental stamina to get through a whole CARS section of 9 passages gradually) but it also remedies the problem of getting behind on time. The reason your timing is getting off towards the end of the test is that the more passages you do, the more difficult it is you manage your time well. You can manage your time well during three passages, but it's a struggle to manage it as well when doing four or five. With this method, you get a reset after three passages, so any goofs on the first block do not ruin the passages for the second block.

I would do this strategy for a week and then do two blocks of three back to back. The following week, when you get to seven passages, the first block should have four passages and the second have three. Over time, you'll see your stamina increase as well as your ability to manage your time over a higher block of passages. It's kind of like lifting weights. Over time, you'll see gains, but it is likely to be a struggle at first.

Best of luck and please keep the questions coming!

Hello,

Would you say that your materials are deflated? Or if you scored a 125 on one of your FL's then is that fairly representative of what your score will be on the actual MCAT? I have heard that your materials are significantly harder than the AAMC materials.

@Chromium Surfer - I think on the whole, our average passage is harder than the average AAMC materials, but not by a lot. I do think our practice tests are harder on average. With that said, we've been doing an internal correlation review between what MCATers scored on our tests and what they scored on the actual MCAT and the scores were ultimately within one (and sometimes two) scaled score points. People who scored a 126 on our practice tests usually got a 127 or 128. People who got 124s and 125 more or less scored in that range (including 126). Beyond that, the average score on the real MCAT (not matriculant, but overall average score) for the CARS section is somewhere around a raw score of 35 (scaled score of 124-125). A raw score of 35 is 66% correct. The average scores on our practice tests (of all users who take them) are between 63% and 65%. So we're slightly more difficult, but based both on our predictive power and the averages, I do think our practice tests are in range of the CARS true difficult. Are practice tests are intended to be more difficult and I think we succeeded in making them more difficult.

Whether or not they are "significantly" harder is somewhat relative. I've noticed on forums and on reddit that the people who have said our practice tests are "super hard" or "unrepresentative" because of our difficulty are the ones who scored in the low 60%s both on our practice tests and didn't do well on the actual CARS either. I don't think we've ever had someone who scored well on the actual CARS come back to us and have anything but positive words (save that our formatting sucks, which we know it sucks). I've never seen someone who scored in the 80%s (and there are many who do) say our tests are too hard.

Our tests are hard. They're meant to be hard. Unfortunately, many, many people who take our practice tests don't do well, because many, many people who take the actual MCAT don't do well. I think if you're scoring a 125 on our materials your in that range or slightly better off.

Hopefully, that answers your question. Best of luck on your MCAT and please let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

@kizzy94 - We know our formatting is less than ideal, but it is surprisingly difficult to get an online platform that will mimic real testing conditions that won't cost an arm and a leg. So unfortunately we're kind of stuck doing the best with what we've got. You've more or less got three options:

1) Print off the PDF documents for each test and use those while taking the test.

2) If you have a larger computer screen, you can open the PDF document to the left and have the questions displayed on the right.

3) If you're having trouble with timing, you're actually better off not looking back at the passage after you read through it anyway. Our format actually helps build this habit, because you've got to click to see the passage. If you choose this option, most test takers are surprised after getting the hang of it how quickly they're able to navigate between passages and questions.

We're working on the formatting and hoping to have an online platform up and running by the spring. Best of luck on your MCAT and let us know how we can help!

@theonlytycrane - "The format is so bad" haha! It really is, isn't it? I can assure you many nights have been spent trying to find a solution. (If you have an idea, PM me. We'd love to talk $$). We had a deal set up with someone this spring and then it fell through. Then again a new deal this fall. But they wanted to charge so much and we just couldn't justify passing that cost on to our customers. We're hoping to have something up and running by the new year.

And yes, I am in medical school, almost done with my first quarter at Stanford. Everything I've ever heard about how hard medical school is true! But it's fun, too. And really a privilege at the end of the day to be able to get to do what I've always wanted to do. Despite my medical student status, everyone here at Testing Solutions is still plugging away. And we're hoping to have the format less bad soon!