Terrified of Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazymedgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've just worked through the translational motion sections in both EK and BR, and I have to say I'm kind of freaking out. I thought I had a pretty good background in this (did well in Physics 1, taking Physics 2 now), but the passages in both books just killed me.... did worse and worse on each one (I'm talking like 8 wrong and 1 right out of 9.)

I don't know why translational motion should be such a difficult topic...conceptually I completely understand it, but the minute I sit down and try to apply those concepts to solving problems, it's like my brain goes dead.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to approach these problems? I think part of my issue is that I kind of blank and have no idea how to start. Anyone have a step by step method of attack that they use?

I'm getting desperate here!

Members don't see this ad.

The translational motion problems are really just exercises in knowing the 4 equations upside-down and sideways.

In other words: It's a game of practice problems. It's just a matter of how many you have to do. Understanding the concepts is necessary too, but since you've got them down, practice problems are what you want to spend your time on.

I would suggest that, instead of going back and continuing to review each question you missed, you start over. You might have focused on the practice problems for the concepts at first - now it will be more helpful to go back and begin again, this time focusing on the math.

You should get huge results by redoing the BR in-chapter practice problems, taking them very seriously - do each one very slowly, without looking at the answer they give. Take 20 minutes if you have to to figure it out. In fact, if you take 20 minutes to figure it out, that's wonderful - you've just hammered a concept into your brain, and when you read their solution (which will involve getting there quicker), you'll really GET it.

While doing them:
Derive each equation from memory (remember your units here to avoid mixing them up. For example, DeltaX is measured in [m], so it can be equal to vo*t [m/s * s] added to 1/2a*t^2 [m/s^2 * s^2], but can't be equal to a*t [m/s^2 * s].) Flip a few pages back and check the equations to make sure you wrote them down right, each time. Soon you'll get so certain about them that you won't have to check.

Write down the variables you have (vo, vf, delta x, t, etc). Write down the variable you want. Look at the equations and try things out. At first, you'll be doing some trial and error until you get it. Eventually (after 4 or 5) you'll start to see patterns. Then the answers will come to you much quicker, as you'll instinctively have an idea of which equations to use.

So here's my recommendation, in short:
1. Redo the BR practice problems in the chapter, not looking at the answer until you've successfully gotten there or taken more than about 20 minutes trying.
2. Read their way of getting the answer. If it doesn't make sense at first, write down each step they make as you read it and study it.
3. Cover the answer up again, and try the problem once more, using their way of getting the answer (I know, it seems at first like this might just be a short-term memory thing, but I've found that it REALLY helps and sticks with you)
4. Repeat with the EK in-lecture problems when you've done the BR ones. (I suggest the BR ones first because their solutions are much more in-depth.)

This is how I did it, anyway. Good luck!

Practice. I can tell you from first hand experience that this is the only thing that will solve your problem. I was exactly in your place this past may, but with practice (EK 1001 is great) I did pretty well in August. Dont freak out... physics aint no thang haha

As a physics major in college I can tell you that EK physics is horrible preparation. Get the Nova Physics book and once you can do all the problems in there you will be closer to being ready. MCAT physics was significantly different in CBT's to the real test. Personally I did not do so hot in physics because I relied on EK as a review. After the test(jan 08) I pulled out EK physics and went through it to see if the topics I missed were covered...they were not.

Members don't see this ad :)
physics junkie, do you remember what topics were absent from the EK book. I'm studying from it and I'll definitely like to know what i'm missing:eek::eek:.
Personally I find the book very good.

physics junkie, do you remember what topics were absent from the EK book. I'm studying from it and I'll definitely like to know what i'm missing:eek::eek:.
Personally I find the book very good.

*shrug*. I loved the EK series...just not their physics. I remember getting a passage on a box being accelerated by a spring and then sliding with friction off of a table. Simple problem. Take a look in EK and see if thats covered anywhere. :) Also there was one on an Atwood machine. Simple concept that wasn't covered anywhere in EK physics.

You simply don't do problems in the EK physics book--its a concept review that was entirely worthless to read. I had my girlfriend use Nova and it was much better for her. You don't learn physics by reading--you learn physics by doing problems.

Get the Nova book and if you can do the problems in there then I am sure you will be fine. If you rely on EK for physics you are heading for disaster unless you retained a lot of intro physics.

I used my girlfriend's Nova book to teach MCAT physics and tutor AP physics students in my time between graduating and matriculating. It would have been valuable.

*shrug*. I loved the EK series...just not their physics. I remember getting a passage on a box being accelerated by a spring and then sliding with friction off of a table. Simple problem. Take a look in EK and see if thats covered anywhere. :) Also there was one on an Atwood machine. Simple concept that wasn't covered anywhere in EK physics.

You simply don't do problems in the EK physics book--its a concept review that was entirely worthless to read. I had my girlfriend use Nova and it was much better for her. You don't learn physics by reading--you learn physics by doing problems.

Get the Nova book and if you can do the problems in there then I am sure you will be fine. If you rely on EK for physics you are heading for disaster unless you retained a lot of intro physics.

I used my girlfriend's Nova book to teach MCAT physics and tutor AP physics students in my time between graduating and matriculating. It would have been valuable.

This is definitely not reassuring. I am using EK Physics and the Kaplan course books and doing EK 1001 questions as practice. Do you think I should get Nova?

This is definitely not reassuring. I am using EK Physics and the Kaplan course books and doing EK 1001 questions as practice. Do you think I should get Nova?

Its up to you to decide what your weaknesses are and where you should focus. I don't see the harm in buying Nova($20?) and if you can do the problems then put it on ebay.

I taught mcat mcsphysics at Kaplan and wasn't a huge fan of the format of their books but you can definitely learn everything you need to know from them. If you know your kaplan stuff you should be able to do Nova just fine...but if you can't then you don't know as much as you think.