Tennessee In-State Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BomberCanoe

UTK c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm sure this topic is done to death every spring, when new classes are accepted into their colleges. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything about UTK, other than the fact that they don't have the 12 month rule. Does anyone one here have experience dealing with becoming a resident? I know obviously changing the license, car tags, voting, join a church, become a part of the community, etc, but what else? Is a house required? How long has it taken people to finally get in state tuition? Thanks for all the help, and sorry for overdoing a topic.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to get in state tuition at UT is by marrying a resident. They will not switch your status with the school just because you become a resident of the state after coming to school.

Is this a new change? A doctor at my clinic graduated in '07, and she was able to get in state status at the end of her sophomore year, and even knew the daughter of a lawyer that had it by the second semester. Of course I'd only apply to schools that don't allow in state tuition.

If you move to Tennessee with a spouse and your spouse works and pays taxes and you own a house, have kids registered in school, and are otherwise functioning as residents of the state of Tennessee, separately from just going to school here, then you can establish residency. It's still not easy, though.