Temple University BS/MD Essay Question help

asapshifty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am applying to Temple Unversity's BS/Md program and I'm having some trouble on the second essay question. Here is the prompt:
  • Identify one of the pressing healthcare issues facing the nation or the world today and discuss how you envision your future role as a health care provider helping to address this issue.
I have already written an essay, but I used access to health care as the issue. Now, I basically avoided answering how I would fix this problem, because as a physician, how can I realistically be expected to? My essay basically introduces this issue, then talks about my experiences volunteering and shadowing and seeing the neglect of certain health care providers. I talked about as a physician, how I would ensure that all of my patients would receive my full attention and care. What do you guys think would be a better issue to choose? I feel like all the pressing issues would be nearly impossible for a single physician to solve. And I don't want to start telling lies about how I would work for free or move to an impoverished country for the rest of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds to me like you are bringing up the issue "access to medical care", but are answering the question why you would be a good physician. I advise you to either pick another issue or at the very least revise your answer because your discussion does not relate to the thesis; based off what you provided in your post.

It sounds to me like you are bringing up the issue "access to medical care", but are answering the question why you would be a good physician. I advise you to either pick another issue or at the very least revise your answer because your discussion does not relate to the thesis; based off what you provided in your post.
Yea I completely agree. I think I definitely need another issue that I could elaborate on about what I could do specifically as a future physician. Do you have any ideas as to what a good issue would be? Thank so much

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do some internet searching to find one you can relate to in order to elaborate. One example that I could write about would be the stigma of mental illness. From personal experience with my own anxiety and a delusional family member I could write for ages on what needs to be done to bring the issue to light and work toward fixing it.