Temple U. School of Dentistry Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm planning for Aug. 1st also.

I will be out there at the beginning of August, but I need to mail in my deposit soon. Then find a place to live in April or May'ish.

I'd like to see those freshwomen. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to be out there by July. 2011 baby!!!!!

No, I'm not familiar with the Philly area.. :( I haven't been doing much research on those areas Brian gave us on interview day. The apartments in central city that I've looked at costs from 800-1000... :mad: I know that a decent apartment is probably gonna be hard to find.. especially in my case since I have additional baggages - pets! :)

When I was up there for the interview, I stayed with my brother at the Summit Park Communities apartment complex. It appeared to be really safe and quiet there. He said it's around $1100-$1200 for a two bedroom place including all the utilities. I believe they allow pets there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it come with Washer and Dryer hook ups? I've heard that it is hard to find apartments in Philly with hook ups.

So what area of the city is everyone planning on looking in? I really liked Center city (I stayed near Penn's Landing for the interview) but I also want to live near other dental students. Does anyone know if there are apartments complexes that are predominately students? How early is everyone going to start looking for places to live?

So what area of the city is everyone planning on looking in? I really liked Center city (I stayed near Penn's Landing for the interview) but I also want to live near other dental students. Does anyone know if there are apartments complexes that are predominately students? How early is everyone going to start looking for places to live?

the Manayunk/Roxborough area is where most students live.

most of my class lives in the Summit Park apartments/henry on the park apartments.

A few live at a home, a few in center city but the majority are out at the 1st two apartments complexes 20 minutes drive north of the school. Google 7901 henry ave, in philly and then look for the dental school on broad and allegheny (google maps) to see your commute. It really isnt that bad if you find the right times to go home.

You could always buy a cheap house a few blocks from the school and have a bunch of you live in it. Cost 80K. Mortgage:600 bucks. Charge everyone 400 a month, get 5 roommates and your set. Use the extra income to spruce the place up and resell at a higher value when you move. Essentially a 4 year 'house flip'.

Thats what I would do if i were single. No car, no insurance no commute...

Broad street by the school isnt very bad either. The rumors on SDN are false. I feel just as safe here as in 'podunk, South Dakota'

anyways congrats guys, good luck.
/back to finals

I am thinking ill be around the first or second week of august. We shoudl all meet up for drinks sometime

If I end up there, count me in! It would nice to already have a few friends going into things! :D

I liked Temple alot. I am torn between Pacific with the three year program and Temple because it is a good school for specializing and my wifes sister lives out there with her husband who is at Temple. Tough decisions!

Members don't see this ad :)
never mind..:smuggrin: I'm over it already. :D

Is it true that Temple might be changing their name? I heard that some dude dished out a but-load of $, and they might be naming the school after him... Does NE one know, is this true?... Maybe corolla would know...

Scholarships are cool, but upgrades to the facilities are cool too, hope they can do both. I'm pretty sure 10mil can go a long way.

Just let me know ehn you guys want to get together and drink/party. I reallyu wish I could ge to know a few people "heading into this"

It's official, I'm going to Temple. Just sent in my deposit today.:)

10 million doesn't go very far when you are renovating a school. It is very easy to spend 1 Million on just a SINGLE 5 chair dental office with all the cool instruments, tv's, gadgets, digital, etc. Temple has more than 5 chairs:D

10 million for scholarships is another thing. I think the school will keep it in a bank and use the interest for various scholarships and improvements.

The school is still Temple, it now has a name associated with it. Like UoP has Arthur Dugoni.

Just let me know ehn you guys want to get together and drink/party. I reallyu wish I could ge to know a few people "heading into this"
I live in Philly, will be attending Temple next year, and love to plan events if any does indeed want to plan a pre-Temple get-down-together!!!

I live in Philly, will be attending Temple next year, and love to plan events if any does indeed want to plan a pre-Temple get-down-together!!!

What part of Philly are you in?

I want a pre temple get down. that would rock. I would really enjoy gettingt o knwo a few peopel before starting, I think it would make it less intimidating

Just mailed my Deposit into Temple today.

i sent my deposit a few days ago.

Does anyone know how many people got sent acceptance letters from Temple? I got one and can't wait for August to come, but I got a couple of friends that are hoping to get in on the second round. Will there even be a second round? I can't remember how many acceptances Temple offers the first round. Any ideas would be nice for them. Anyway see you all in August!:thumbup:

Hey, I'm going to Temple next year, too! I sent my deposit in pretty much as soon as I was accepted, but they haven't cashed the check and I'm wondering if they got it... has anyone else been notified if their deposit was received? I plan on moving out there sometime at the beginning of August and am looking for roommates, too. My interview was the first time I've been to Philadelphia, and I have no idea where the good places are to live, but I really want to live downtown, and have found some relatively cheap places on the internet. I'll probably be out there in the spring to look at some options. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear! Look forward to meeting you guys!!

there should be some confirmation for deposits !!!

They sent me a letter confirming my deposit. Call them in the New Year if you haven't gotten a receipt.

I am thinking ill be around the first or second week of august. We shoudl all meet up for drinks sometime

brings a tear to my eyes.... u guys seem soo cool...should i withdraw from UMDNJ and send my temple deposit in?
NAHHHHHHHH :laugh: :laugh:

brings a tear to my eyes.... u guys seem soo cool...should i withdraw from UMDNJ and send my temple deposit in?
NAHHHHHHHH :laugh: :laugh:

Lol, I second that, you all sound like one big happy family without actually meeting each other. I had lunch yesterday with a D-2 currently at Temple and she is very happy to be there, she said did say that the 1st year is very manageable, however the second year you are nailed with classes,(just like every dental school). Congrats to all of you, and I am sure you will have very supportive four years at TUSoD.

I will not be joining all of you,(I'm sure those parties after exams will be alot of fun:D ), I have to put down 3G's for BU's deposit...:eek:

I should start a thread,

"Help fundraise for ________ ________'s deposit for BU"
(first name) (last name)

anyone wants to donate just pm me...:p

Lol, I second that, you all sound like one big happy family without actually meeting each other. I had lunch yesterday with a D-2 currently at Temple and she is very happy to be there, she said did say that the 1st year is very manageable, however the second year you are nailed with classes,(just like every dental school). Congrats to all of you, and I am sure you will have very supportive four years at TUSoD.

I will not be joining all of you,(I'm sure those parties after exams will be alot of fun:D ), I have to put down 3G's for BU's deposit...:eek:

I should start a thread,

"Help fundraise for ________ ________'s deposit for BU"
(first name) (last name)

anyone wants to donate just pm me...:p

I'd totally donate if I didn't fear having to reapply! Good Luck CB3000

i heard couple places to live next to their undergrad campus which is I think 6 or 7 blocks from d-school..they do have free shuttles to go back n forth...places are kardon-atlantic and University Village apts..

any idea how these places are?

i heard couple places to live next to their undergrad campus which is I think 6 or 7 blocks from d-school..they do have free shuttles to go back n forth...places are kardon-atlantic and University Village apts..

any idea how these places are?

They should be within walking distance of the subway which is like two stops away from the school. That would make for a ten minute commute

any idea how these places r compared to rox?

I sent in my deposit about a week after the first and still have not heard from Temple and they haven't taken the money out of my bank. Has anyone heard from them? I know it's still early but just curious.

Price seems good for the Donna Court Apts., but only 1 bath in the two bedroom apt. I'm not a big fan of sharing a bathroom. I've looked on rent.com and yahoo and the ones I've found with good reviews, space, and right price are Ridge Carleton Apts (2bed/2bath) $850/mo, Park Heights (3/2 = $1250, and 2/2 = $955), Woodmere (3/2 = $1345), Chestnut Hill Tower (3/2 = $1579). Some of these prices include alot of utilities, apts have controlled access entry, and some have garages. These are all in the Roxborough area I think, but I have a cousin at Penn who lives in Center City and she said she loves it there. She pays $800/mo for a studio and did get mugged there once :eek: but still said she'd recommend that area over Roxborough or Manayunk.

Bin savin for a couple weeks, and just got some Christmas CASH, so I finally overnighted my deposit... I know I wont be disapointed with this decision! See you all next fall... wooooohooooooo!:D

If you are looking to live in center city (it's easy to commute via sub) it might be helpful to contact William Penn Realty Group (215-636-0300). My husband and I had an apt. with them for 2 years off south st. There were normal landlord probs, but at least they had a maintainence staff. Most of their apts are in brownstone type townhouses - a little more fun than living in a big apt bldg.

I have lots of insider info about living in center city philly and such, if anyone wants to PM me.

What is parking like in Center City? Parking lot or just street parking?

Depends. It's not as bad as NYC. One can usually get a spot w/in a couple of blocks of where you are going (farther for areas like South St. and Old City).

If you live in CC, you can get a permit that allows you to disregard time limits in your district.

Beware, car insurance is expensive here.

Hi all,
I got accepted into Temple too!:D I was wondering if it an good idea to invest in a home in Manayunk or any other areas...thanks!