temple housing..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyde

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey! anyone going to temple next year interested in getting an apartment with me? im looking in the manayunk area but im pretty flexible cuz i really want someone or someones to live with.

let me know..

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I were pulled of the waitlist...
Did you look at the price range yet?
I remember when I went for the interview they had a lot of posting for roommate needed. Did you call housing yet?

Don't live in the city.!.......my car got broken into yesterday...and I am PIIIIIISEEED!!!!::mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
the price range in manayunk is about 5-600 per month plus utilities.. some of the 5 or 6 br houses, it might be as low aw 450$$... there are some brand new luxury apartments, go for almost 2 grand a month.. but im not getting anywhere near that price range..

rxcare - sorry about your car! that sucks!

Hey I'm desperately trying to figure out where I'm going to live next year too and searching all over the place right now.
I'm trying to find a place around Temple's main campus, but definitely flexible

I'm also trying to find a place.

I applied to the two grad housing complexes, which are basically furnished 2 or 3 bedroom apartments, and they apparently try and pair you with other pharmacy students or, at least, other medical-related grad students. But apparently its very competitive, so I dunno if thats going to pan out.

If I have to live off campus, I want to be a 10-15 minute subway or train ride from the school tops.

Sorry I am intruding ... apologies...

If you guyz dont mind asking

whts the average stats for Temple University

overall GPA 3.3 science GPA 3.4 do you think i got a chance there??

Please help this newbie

thanks a lot

SamI

hey dude I think last years average gpa was around a 3.4 and the average pcat was like 76

...and back on topic

I'm gonna turn in the application for the grad housing today...
yeah I refuse to drive to school,

Hey I'm desperately trying to figure out where I'm going to live next year too and searching all over the place right now.
I'm trying to find a place around Temple's main campus, but definitely flexible

Well if u wanna be around main so bad then live at the edge. There are also apartments on 16th that are currently leasing.

Live up North somewhere and ride the train in. Like Montgomery Co. North. The area around Temple scares the bejeesus out of me at night. Of course I don't actually go to school there, so ignoring me is also probably a good option.

I think the edge blows, one of my last options, I'll check out those places on 16th though. and I'd be up for living anywhere decent doesn't HAVE TO BE @main

wvu: ignoring ya will do just fine lol thanks neway

hey.. if anyone is interested in getting a place with me that would be awesome.. ill live with girls or guys.. preferably i would like to have my own room if i live with guys. but im looking for roomates and a place if anyone is interested.

yea I'd be interested as long you promise not to fall in love with me, nuff said
still looking around for places...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey.. if anyone is interested in getting a place with me that would be awesome.. ill live with girls or guys.. preferably i would like to have my own room if i live with guys. but im looking for roomates and a place if anyone is interested.

haha funny.....being a professional student, i recommend you get your own room regardless...:p

haha.. funny... fall in love with you..

however, i do happen to like guys with a sense of humor. haha.. better watch out now.

lol.. just kidding.

I'd be willing to get an apartment with pretty much anyone also.

I just wish they would hurry up and tell me if I got into a graduate apartment so I would know whether I needed to start looking for people to room with.

im mainly looking on craigslist..

i wouldnt mind living right around the area where the school is, about a street away at the most, as long as i had some big strong boys to protect me.:laugh: :laugh:

it looks like it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to get an apartment right by the school.. for example, http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/309498955.html ..but i would definately want to take a look at the neighborhood before i signed a lease since the pharm school is on the fringes..

I'm thinking manayunk area, probably summit park, maybe a 3 bdr. If anyone is interested, I need roomates...

I really don't know anything about the manayunk area, like easy to get to school from there?
Just looked it up, from summit park apts. seems like you'd be better off driving from there.. a bus and subway ride away, or more.
the one thing I like about living around temple is being around a billion diff ppl and its close to center city.

from what i have heard, my boss went to temple and lived in manayunk, a lot of the pharm and other med profession students live there..

it is about a 15-20 min drive since your driving through the city. but it is in a much nicer area.

I geuss I'll be reppin the ghetto life, if you any of you guys are interested b/c I really do want to live with other pharm students, I'm gonna be checking out that templetownrealty.com place tomorrow, let you guys know how it turns out

oh just saw that post from craigs list, the place looks decent and its hella cheap but I have a feeling the area sucks but w/e I'll give the guy a shout to check it out asap see if any big strong boys are needed...

heyy i just got into temple... today.. whew and i knoww the neighborhood is absolutely horrible and am also looking for somewhere to live.. anyone familiar with the neighborhood? is it as scary as its cracked up to be?

hey congratz, I was up by there today and was talking to a lady who lives by there she just said "you know its Philadelphia..."

so I checked out that craigslist place since it looked so damn nice, turns out its 3 apts in a 3 floor place. The two first floor ones were pretty much awesome and taken :mad:
the third floor is uber tiny, its 2 bedrooms that are 7.5 X 14 ft, no closet space lady recommended aluminum racks to hang crap on. The living space is pretty small too but everythings nicely done, bathroom, floors n w/e
its 550 for the place,.everything else on the block looks like its falling apart seriously but its 2 min walk from the school
so just giving everyone the heads up
, Idk I'm thinking about it...

wow thats a major bummer..
but i bet as it gets a little closer to the school year more stuff will open up.. especially with people graduating soon. maybe they will be redoing some more of the apartments in that area..

if all else fails, theres manayunk. if we got a group of people for one of the 4-5 bedroom houses, we could all carpool to school..

your encouraging I wanna give ya a hug,

I'm gonna chill with the housing until after the finals, then back on hunt

Im from philly and go to temple. My dad lives at 3rd and rosemore in north philly (olney really). I work at holy redeemer hospital in the northeast and am looking for roommates ASAP. To be honest, I hate the prospect of living in north philly, even around where my dad is.

anyhow, if interested send me a message and we can discuss.

I'm definently looking for roommate(s) since it looks like the grad housing might not work out for a number of reasons.

I have been looking in the Manyunk area and there were some really nice 2 bedroom places, but they're like $1400 a month split between two people.

I really don't know how to start looking because any place I would want in the Manyunk area would need to be walking distance to the train station and its really hard to get a good feel for places by just looking at stuff on the internet... but apparently a ton of the pharm and med students at Temple live in Manyunk or Roxbourgh, not in Philly.

Does anyone have any ideas? What about you guys drew4523 and jennyde? Any you still looking for places?

Yea I'm still looking, but I've been checking out places around temple's main campus. Theres a couple of studio apts available on 15th n 16th so its a couple blocks from the subway and like a 15min walk to the free shuttle to the health science campus. I'm gonna check out a 3br place today, if its decent I'll let yall know I need a roomate.

Hi. I am a current 4th year temple med student. if you guys are looking for a safer place to live (compared to temple med school or pharmacy school), look for East Falls, zip code 19129. I've lived here for all 4 years of med school. not as cool and hip as manyunk, but tend to be cheaper, and closer. (closer than roxborough too). My ride (you do need a car in philly unless you live in center city or university city, basically near a subway stop. regional line is basically useless as medical student...) is about 7 mins to med school parking.
you could find few places in craigslist.com, and type in east falls, and you might find some apt.
if anyone has a ?'s drop me a line....:laugh:

Hey, I just found out that Temple has properties listed on their website... you have to http://www.temple.edu/housing/offcampus/listings.htm and you can set some criteria like how much you want to pay, etc.

It also has a list of apartment complexes around the area.

You can also list your name in Temple's "looking for a roommate" database and you can list what you're looking for in a roommate.

I don't know if this helps, but I still would prefer the Manyunk area, if possible. I'm going to be home next late next week (my parents live near Philly), so I will be able to check some places in the Manyunk and maybe the Philly area (if they don't look like they're in terrible parts of town).

I don't really care who I room with (I think a 3 bedroom would be better than two, but I could do either) so if anyone is interested I'll get some more info next week and get back to you with locations, prices, etc.

Hey I found a place I'm probably going to pick-up. It's me and another guy who's a student at Temple. The place is a 3br-for 1100. It's on 16th and oxford. like a 5 min walk to the subway, and a little bit longer to the shuttle by the Pharm school thats for free, so you don't need a car to get to school. The areas really not bad its filled with kids from around temple and the block has two churches on it.
If any of you are interested let me know..asap

wow.. since they switched the thread... i could not figure out what happened to it.. finally found it...lol..

i am still looking for a place.. currently, i have my eyes on this one..

http://genoescape.com/default.aspx

if anyone is interested in living with me..
im pretty sure j9xx and i are going to be living together, but if we are gonna pick up this house, we need 3 more people!!!!

let me know!

Hey Guys- I need to find a place to live and roomies...somewhere around the $$500-600 range but safe and w/ lotsa of students around...(bars, restaurants, parties, etc)....any suggestions?

-Laris

hey.. im still trying to recruit people.. your more then welcome to hop on board with j9xx, maybe monomatt, and i looking for a place and maybe more roomates..

we are all looking in the manyunk area.. im looking for around the same price range as you.. and i would love to get a 4 or 5 bedroom place, cuz im not gonna know anyone, and would LOVE to meet new people.

Hey-Yep that'll be great...let me know of any news...you guys at Temple Pharmacy, etc...can im me at nbagirl34 on aim...might be easier...

Yeah, I'm definently in. I really don't want to live alone my first year, not knowing anyone... I'm pretty sure that would mean zero social life and no one to study with.

Looks like we probably have 4 now... if we can get one more and manage to snag that 5 bedroom house, it would be awesome.

So are you all coming to Pharmacy orientation??

and are we all roomies now, lol

Im a temple undergrad looking for a new place (low key, quite, friendly); please message me if anyones interested

I'm trying to find a place too - hopefully somewhere that has space for a car and access to public transportation (which will be tough). If you just want to use public trans the main campus is a good area to look for housing.

Jennyde, that link for the house looks amazing....sorta looks to good to be true...and cheap....but maybe thats how it is in Philly...I would love to take that place if thats what it comes down to...let me know

hey.. so all we need is one more person, preferably a guy pharm student so monomatt isnt all alone.. lol.

im getting excited.. and yes i am going to orientation.. if we do want to get one of these 5 bedroom places that ive seen on craigslist, we probably might have to sign a lease soon, and i think that everyone should sign the lease. but ive never done this before so we will see.

I just emailed the guy that owns that house to see if he could meet with me this Saturday. If he can, I plan on taking pictures and getting as much info from him as possible (hopefully even a copy of the lease), which I will relay back to everyone here that's interested.

The only problem I can see is that since we can't all meet up, it'll be hard to get everyone to sign the lease, and their parents to co-sign, if you are still a dependent. I also imagine that everyone will want to actually see the house before signing the lease for it, so I will try to explain to the landlord as best as possible that we really want it and to hold off until all of us that are interested see it.

I'm also going apartment hunting in the Manayunk/Roxbourgh/Philly area tomorrow for 1-3 bedroom apartments/houses in case this falls through, so I'll let everyone know if I find anything else that looks good.

Here's what I found today.

The Manayunk area itself is very small and the apartments there are VERY expensive (i.e. $1600 + utilities for a 2 bedroom). The main street (with all the bars and restaurants) is really nice, but the rest of Manayunk is kinda run down and old.

However, I went up to the Roxbourogh area and found some great places. One place in particular, Summit Park, is awesome. It pretty much caters to Temple/Penn grad students and young professionals (there are very few families). The place also has a HUGE swimming pool, volleyball, tennis, and basketball courts, a clubhouse with a restauraunt, bar, pool room, and exercise room. Also, the management schedules tons of events for residents (like friday night bar crawls, trips to sports games, huge cookouts, etc.). The place is about a 5 minute drive from the Roxbourough train station, but its only a 15 minute ride to Temple Hospital, so driving would be easier, and I have a car so we could carpool. It's also directly across the street from a strip mall with a grocery store and tons of other stuff. They also have a bus that operates until 2:30am on weekends to take you to main street Manayunk for bars, etc.

Now for the best part: Rent for a 3 bedroom apartment is $1631 / month with ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED (heat, gas, water, electric, AC, and basic cable TV). The only thing that is not included in that price is internet. If you factor that in and say it costs $69/month (its actually much less), it is about $550 per month per person if you have 3 people. This is a steal for what they place offers.

Here is a link to the place:http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/phila/summitpark/summitpark.htm
You can see some photos and floorplans there.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but after seeing this place I'm ready to sign a lease real soon (and believe me I wouldn't sign a lease unless I really thought the place looked good, because I've lived in some TERRIBLE apartments / houses before).

That being said, the only problem is that they currently only have 1 3 bedroom apartment available and they go really quick. I think my parents are willing to put a deposit down, but I need to know if anyone is really interested before that happens. If two others aren't interested, I would also be interested in a 2 bedroom (although for you girls, I can understand that it would be weird living by yourself with another guy you've never met).

And I haven't forgotten about the 5 bedroom house, but the landlord has not responded to me about seeing the property, which really bothers me (how will he be at fixing stuff if he doesn't even respond to me when I want to rent his place?), and there is no guaranteed street parking in Manayunk, which bothers me since I have a car and would probably be driving to class every day. Also, utilities there with 5 people will probably be at least $300 a month, which would equal about the same amount per month divided among 5 people as the 3 bedroom apartment would among 3 people.

Here is an outside picture of the outside I snapped today. It looks nice, but I still have the concerns mentioned above.

http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00016im6.jpg

If you're interested in the 3 bedroom, let me know ASAP. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

Hey-Can you tell me about yourself ?!?! It sounds very nice, but are there ones with more than 3 bedrooms?

Thanks.

Hey all!!

Congratulations on getting accepted to TUSM!! Hope your search for housing is going well. In terms of where to live

1) Will you have a car?
Yes- It will definitely be very hard to find a place to park in the center city. If you have a car, you would want to check out the Art Museum area (close to centry city, but with parking), east falls, roxborough.

If you don't have a car ... center city is a good choice.

You can look on craigslist, which is pretty good. Usually Temple puts together a list of places where students live, etc.

In terms of living on the campus (i.e. Park Avenue). It is a little tough, but definitely well lit and there are alot of police always going around the area. I have some friends who live there and really like the conveniece of being so close. It's also a good thing for third year rotations in which you may have to be at the hospital really early, or if you are on call. Parking is not too good around the area. Some cars have gotten broken into, but that is a risk you take everywhere, I guess. Just make sure you don't leave things in your car.

Overall, the school is very safe. Security is good.

One thing ... don't forget to think about where you study the best. If you like to stay late studying in the library ... you might want to bring a car, so that you don't have to take the subway late (not good).

Best of luck ...

haha thats so funny that you mentioned summit park.. my boss went to temple and she had some friends that lived in summit park, she siad it was reallly nice..

i would definately be interested if that house falls through.. the other place i saw on that website was woodmere, which is in the same community, a little cheaper, so im not sure if its as nice.

are you guys bringing a car?

hi I am second year dental student, looking for a female or females to move in with next year. I have a little dog, house trained. let me know if you are still looking.

Hi All:
Sorry to have a PARENT chime in. My son is finishing up his last semester at Kornberg and when he was admitted, It was obvious that prices to buy a house in the surrounding (decent) areas made more sense than renting.
Provided that you have a sufficient down payment, you can buy/occupy the residence for the next four years, and resell (and make a nice profit) once you are done.
BTW the unit we bought in Fishtown is up for sale. Great block with lots of new homes going for 450K and up. If you, or the parents are interested, send me an email with contact info. and I will be in touch.