Temple CST Post Bacc Program 2019 - 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am i too late to apply for this program??

Members don't see this ad.

Am i too late to apply for this program??

You have until June to apply, but one of the members mentioned that it might be late since it is on a rolling basis. But I would still recommend to submit!

Reactions: 1 users
Applied last night and received IIs today morning looool. For those who did interview, can you tell me how the interview was???? Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied last night and received IIs today morning looool. For those who did interview, can you tell me how the interview was???? Thank you in advance

When’s ur interview

I have it on June 6th!

I actually recently had the interview - it's cliche but be yourself! Prep typical interview questions - no surprise questions. SUPER supportive staff. You'll hear back in 5 business days! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually recently had the interview - it's cliche but be yourself! Prep typical interview questions - no surprise questions. SUPER supportive staff. You'll hear back in 5 business days! Good luck!

Thank you for the response! I just have one more question. Was there any question related to ethical issue???

Thank you for the response! I just have one more question. Was there any question related to ethical issue???
Nope! Just gen q's about you!

I just found out I got into this program and I am 99% sure I will be attending.

When I interviewed they did not go over the specific requirements that the school would have for our class (starting in Fall 2019) since, as aforementioned, the schools have the power to change them every year when the medical school application cycle is complete. My interview class pressed for them and the current requirements (for the class that started in 2018) are what is mentioned above. The only confirmed change from those requirements is that the minimum MCAT for PCOM will be 504.

No curveball interview questions. All the main people associated with the program were in attendance and very open and approachable. I can honestly say there wasn't one person that rubbed me the wrong way. Some faculty/professors joined us for lunch too.

When you said "your interview class" so is it group style interview where we are with other prospective students? Can anyone elaborate on what the interview is like? Is it one-on-one at all? I got an II for this program today.

When you said "your interview class" so is it group style interview where we are with other prospective students? Can anyone elaborate on what the interview is like? Is it one-on-one at all? I got an II for this program today.

There's 2 interviews: One on one, then the group with the Dean. The group is with other prospective students that are also interviewing for the ACHS program (most likely).

There's 2 interviews: One on one, then the group with the Dean. The group is with other prospective students that are also interviewing for the ACHS program (most likely).

@Sloth97 did you happen to find out about potential linkage for the ACHS program? Was there any opportunity to ask about that with the current students?

@Sloth97 did you happen to find out about potential linkage for the ACHS program? Was there any opportunity to ask about that with the current students?

I just found out I got in! There might be more linkages but they won't hear back until July. We were able to talk to the current students about it and one just got into their linkage. Four of the class received II for LKSOM and two got in, but they stressed that if they had the inerviews they were more likely to get into their med school the following cycle. They slightly stressed that linking is a stressful process so they highly recommend to reflect and make sure if GW (BCHS only)/ PCOM/LKSOM/SUNY are a right fit so you know waste a linkage app. You can only apply to one linkage and you have to be very aware of the early deadlines (Some even within a month of entering the program)

Contragts!!! And Thank you for the info. Real last question. Are they asking similar questions in group interview compared to one on one??

Members don't see this ad :)
Contragts!!! And Thank you for the info. Real last question. Are they asking similar questions in group interview compared to one on one??
to be perfectly honest there isn't that much interviewing its more like a getting to know you!

to be perfectly honest there isn't that much interviewing its more like a getting to know you!

Lol, it sounds like the interview is, in essence, a round of ice breakers. Seems kinda expensive with travel for that, just saying. Ofc I would still go. Is anyone else coming frm really far out of town out of curiosity.

Lol, it sounds like the interview is, in essence, a round of ice breakers. Seems kinda expensive with travel for that, just saying. Ofc I would still go. Is anyone else coming frm really far out of town out of curiosity.

The first one-on-one is an actual interview that have some questions that are asked in medical school interviews, so I wouldn't blow it off. I came across the country from the West Coast. I was visiting other schools that I got in as well so it was for a justified reason.

The first one-on-one is an actual interview that have some questions that are asked in medical school interviews, so I wouldn't blow it off. I came across the country from the West Coast. I was visiting other schools that I got in as well so it was for a justified reason.

Oh! Haha, ukiiieee. Fair enough. I was being cynical. Now I’m back to being nervous, haha! Thanks for commenting that btw, tbh I would have continued feeling blasé about it all if you didn’t say that. I rly appreciate it <3.

How long was the one-on-one? And the whole thing for that matter? I’m trying to see if I can take the red eye back home after.

Did you all choose to apply to Temple solely because of their linkages? What about the program is so great besides that? I did some research but I didn't find too much about the program other than the curriculum.

Did you all choose to apply to Temple solely because of their linkages? What about the program is so great besides that? I did some research but I didn't find too much about the program other than the curriculum.

One of the big reasons why I am choosing to do this program even over the whole linkage thing is because my science GPA is trash (sGPA: 3.0) and these classes will help me raise my science and overall GPA.

Choosing a post-bacc program like Temple might be better compared to another program where you'll get a Masters in a year because some medical schools tend to look at having a masters as a whole separate thing and therefore, do not even factor those grades into your BCPM GPA when applying. Sure, those accelerated masters programs have upper level science classes but medical schools want to see that as a college undergraduate student that you were able to have a strong understanding of the sciences.

Therefore, even though you might not get a certificate or a degree out of the Temple program, it is still very helpful as long as you do really well in it.

Hope this helps!

I got an II for July 11th! is anyone else interviewing that day? for those who interviewed, how formal should we dress up?

Just go to the recommendations page and click delete button (the trashcan).
If you have already submitted your application, you can't change it.

I am in the ACHS program, feel free to me anything
Hi I have an interview for the ACHS program I was wondering how many students actually get interviews and get accepted. Are the interviews difficult, what may they ask me?

I am in the ACHS program, feel free to me anything

Hi! I was offered an interview for this program, but It seems that this program offers most applicants interviews which is supportive and nice, but also makes me question how many students get in? Does anyone have experience of interviewing for this program, and not getting accepted, or have an idea of how influential the interview is to the committee's overall decision?

Current student in the ACHS cohort, let me know if you have any questions.

To put a "blanket" statement over the program, come here if you need a boost in your undergrad sGPA (science) as you will take upper level division courses with your cohort. You are not compared with the medical student average, and there is less of a sense of competition because you all take the same tests together with your cohort.

There are embedded Kaplan courses (CARS & Psych/Soc Fall, Biochem/Prep class in the Spring) to prepare you for the MCAT. They aren't mandatory, but if you do poorly on the MCAT they will probably say that's the reason why - so just make sure you're preparing adequately yourself. It is tough to manage it on top of school (as I'm taking the MCAT in May) but ultimately, you should be motivated to smash the MCAT anyway.

I will comment about linkages though - for ACHS students, generally people go into PCOM because the requirements aren't as stringent as Lewis Katz (where undergrad GPA matters before you come in). Also, I would like to echo the statements said about the linkages not being guaranteed. If that is the singular reason you are coming to this program, I would consider other programs with guaranteed linkages, like the ACMS program (Lewis Katz) or Tulane's ACLP, as those requirements are more likely set in stone and not dynamically changing from year to year.

Overall, the program for me has been a pretty linear payout - I put in hard work and received good grades. Two of your classes will be taught by medical school faculty (Immunology/Microbiology is one course, Physiology is the other). The coursework is challenging, but not impossible. Totally doable to get A's, but you will have to work hard.

There are some mandatory classes/workshops you have to attend on a weekly basis and to be frank, I think my time could be spent better elsewhere, but I guess that won't change even in med school. There is advising and support available, but a lot of things you have to go and make the appointments yourself. I don't find this a problem, and I have found my meetings with the advisors decently helpful.

Again, this is a relatively young program (I am the third cohort, you will all be the fourth if you decide to come here) so there are some growing pains associated. They are still tweaking things here and there, figuring out what they feel works best. So just come with the expectations that things will change.

HI! I'm wondering what your schedule looks like while in this program? Does it feel like a traditional undergrad semester course load? I generally took 5 classes a semester in undergrad, but I understand that these courses are somewhat more challenging than undergrad courses.

To put a "blanket" statement over the program, come here if you need a boost in your undergrad sGPA (science) as you will take upper level division courses with your cohort. You are not compared with the medical student average, and there is less of a sense of competition because you all take the same tests together with your cohort.

There are embedded Kaplan courses (CARS & Psych/Soc Fall, Biochem/Prep class in the Spring) to prepare you for the MCAT. They aren't mandatory, but if you do poorly on the MCAT they will probably say that's the reason why - so just make sure you're preparing adequately yourself. It is tough to manage it on top of school (as I'm taking the MCAT in May) but ultimately, you should be motivated to smash the MCAT anyway.

I will comment about linkages though - for ACHS students, generally people go into PCOM because the requirements aren't as stringent as Lewis Katz (where undergrad GPA matters before you come in). Also, I would like to echo the statements said about the linkages not being guaranteed. If that is the singular reason you are coming to this program, I would consider other programs with guaranteed linkages, like the ACMS program (Lewis Katz) or Tulane's ACLP, as those requirements are more likely set in stone and not dynamically changing from year to year.

Overall, the program for me has been a pretty linear payout - I put in hard work and received good grades. Two of your classes will be taught by medical school faculty (Immunology/Microbiology is one course, Physiology is the other). The coursework is challenging, but not impossible. Totally doable to get A's, but you will have to work hard.

There are some mandatory classes/workshops you have to attend on a weekly basis and to be frank, I think my time could be spent better elsewhere, but I guess that won't change even in med school. There is advising and support available, but a lot of things you have to go and make the appointments yourself. I don't find this a problem, and I have found my meetings with the advisors decently helpful.

Again, this is a relatively young program (I am the third cohort, you will all be the fourth if you decide to come here) so there are some growing pains associated. They are still tweaking things here and there, figuring out what they feel works best. So just come with the expectations that things will change.
Hey!! I just wanted to reach out and ask how the interview was for you? I am going to be attending the interview for the program next week and was wondering how to prepare?

Hey!! I just wanted to reach out and ask how the interview was for you? I am going to be attending the interview for the program next week and was wondering how to prepare?

Hi. I wanted to reach out and ask if you interviewed for the postbac program and how was it. I have mine on Feb 20th, 2020 and am very nervous. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just got an II but after seeing how many applicants get offered an interview I guess I shouldn’t get my hopes up. Is anyone else applying to the program ?

Just got an II but after seeing how many applicants get offered an interview I guess I shouldn’t get my hopes up. Is anyone else applying to the program ?

I finished having my interview a while ago. I’d say that if you have an interview you have a pretty good chance already. The director of admissions said that they roughly get about 1200 applicants, offer 250 II, and admit a total of 90 students ( 30 Basic core and 60 advanced core)

Interviews aren’t given like free candy, and based on mine I can say that although it was warm, welcoming, and friendly- you still have to be able to answer questions well. They want to get to know you to see if you have what it takes to do well in their program.

When I asked them about Linkage these are the numbers I was given:

GW, BCHS Only.
  • AMCAS calculated overall minimum Undergraduate GPA of 3.6
Academic Performance
  • Maintain an overall 3.5 GPA in CST Post-Bacc Program
  • No grade lower than a B- (receipt of a C or below will terminate contract)
  • MCAT Requirements: Minimum Overall score of 510, Only One Subsection can be equal to 126, No Subsections may ever be less than 126
LKSOM, ACHS and BCHS Students
  • Cumulative undergraduate overall AMCAS GPA of 3.30 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program
  • If MCAT requirement not met or not taken
    • SAT total score of 1350 (combined Critical Reading and Math), with no section less than 600
    • ACT composite score of 30
    • If no SAT/ACT provided, GRE score at 75%
  • CST Post-Bac science and overall GPA at the end of the fall semester of at least 3.70 (ACHS) or 3.60 (BCHS) (not rounded) with no grade lower than B-
ACHS - Cumulative undergraduate science AMCAS GPA of 3.30 prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program
No more than one MCAT, If one MCAT minimum total of 501 with no section less than 125

BCHS - Cumulative undergraduate AMCAS science GPA of 3.00 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program

Linkage Criteria in Post Bacc
  • MCAT minimum of 508 for LKSOM entering 2018 and no individual section below 126
  • Final Post Bacc Program GPA of at least 3.6 (not rounded)
  • No grade in Post-Bac program lower than B-
PCOM
Linkage students who successfully achieve a cumulative SGPA of 3.25 (on 4.0 grading scale) in the Temple Prehealth Post Baccalaureate Program
MCAT total of 50% percentile with no one score below 50% percentile.

SUNY Downstate
  • Minimum 3.3 science and math GPA with no D's, F's, Incompletes, or W's in coursework completed prior to the Post Bacc Program.
  • Minimum 3.4 cumulative GPA
  • Must maintain a GPA Of 3.5 or higher in the Post Bacc Program.
To fulfill the conditional acceptance, for the 2018-2019 (class entering August 2019) cycle minimum subscores of:
  • Chemical & Physical Foundation of Biological Systems = 127
  • Critical analysis and reasoning skills = 126
  • Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems = 128
  • Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior = 127
  • Total score = 509
Hello!

For ACHS, when it says "if MCAT requirement not met or taken, SAT 1350" does that mean that if you do not have the 508 score requirement, you can use your SAT score to meet the linkage requirement, as long as you have not taken more than 1 MCAT and scored a 501 with at least a 125 for each section?

Thank you!

Hey if you don't mind answering, what is the average GPA of students accepted into the ACHS program?

I finished having my interview a while ago. I’d say that if you have an interview you have a pretty good chance already. The director of admissions said that they roughly get about 1200 applicants, offer 250 II, and admit a total of 90 students ( 30 Basic core and 60 advanced core)

Interviews aren’t given like free candy, and based on mine I can say that although it was warm, welcoming, and friendly- you still have to be able to answer questions well. They want to get to know you to see if you have what it takes to do well in their program.
I just submitted my application, do I have to create a portal or will they email me on updates regarding my application?

Does the linkage involve a conditional acceptance or conditional interview into LKSOM?
And what are the requirements for the linkage? From what I understand: perform well in program, 3.3+ science GPA before entering, and ONE MCAT of 509+(?) with no low subsections or 1350+ SAT
Would my MCAT not count then if I took it twice and got 518 (132/123 CARS/131/132) and 519 (132/125 CARS/131/131)?

Just got accepted to ACHS, but still waiting in ACMS. Stuck between PCOM BMS, Drexel MBS, and Temple ACHS. Can anyone offer insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got accepted to ACHS also! Can someone speak to whether it is worth it or not in terms of helping you get into medical school? This is my dreamm

Hello everyone! It’s been a while and having a hard time finding more information regarding the ACHS program at Temple.

How are the alumni who have completed the program doing now? Did most get into medical school?

Hello,
I am looking for feedback on the ACHS Program at Temple through the CST. I have an upcoming interview and just looking for suggestions on how competitive it will be.

Just got accepted to ACHS also! Can someone speak to whether it is worth it or not in terms of helping you get into medical school? This is my dreamm
Hi! Did you complete the ACHS Program at Temple? Can you provide some feedback please? Thanks!

Hello everyone! It’s been a while and having a hard time finding more information regarding the ACHS program at Temple.

How are the alumni who have completed the program doing now? Did most get into medical school?
Have you applied?

Bump, I am debating whether to attend ACHS or get a 1 year MBS. Also does it matter if I apply in the fall before grades are released from ACHS or masters?