Temperature in the OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWebar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellows!

I've noticed that different surgeons request different temperatures in the OR. For example, orthopedic surgeons usually demand really LOW temperatures on arthoplasty cases, sometimes like 17–18 degrees (CELSIUS). I thought the ideal temperature in the OR was 20 degrees celsius, independent of the type of surgery, since lower temperatures increase bleeding and infection risks.

Is this accurate? Does it depend on the type of surgery? I cant seem to find the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The orthos are just doing that because they are sweating their tits off racing to put a joint in.

Reactions: 1 users
Lower room temps don't cause greater bleeding or infection.
Low pt temps do.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I usually let surgeons choose w/e temperature they want on this one, since it is the patients temperature that matters. I change it if the patient is becoming hypothermic. I've been on that side of the curtain before and all that gown and stuff feels like crap, so i feel their pain. The other instance is peds, i change to 75F but peds surgeons usually know that so they dont complain

Reactions: 1 user
AORN guidelines for OR temperature are 68 to 75 F (20-23.9C) per "Guideline for a Safe Environment of Care, Part 2" Exceptions can be made for special patient populations (burns, pediatrics etc) where the room can be temporarily warmed even more.

I keep this one in my back pocket for anytime NWACs come up with some stupid idea regarding my practice in the OR. For example the time they started making noise about my choice of polar fleece jacket in the OR (scrub jacket that remains in house and is laundered with the rest of the scrubs).

Ortho wants it cold when doing joints because the cement sets faster the warmer it is. The colder room temps give them longer to work with the cement before it sets up.

Wonder what AORN says....seems like we're less compliant with that than beard covers

Aren't these the same crazies who want to eliminate scrub caps, and force surgeons wear bouffants that cover their ears?

Yeah, I'm sure their position on room temperature is well thought out and based on sound evidence. And let's face it: since when have women ever wanted the temperature in any enclosed space below 75?

Comfort of the staff, particularly the surgeon is also a patient care issue.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app