Tell me about your private loans!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you taking out private loans? What lender are you using? What will be your total loan amount upon graduation (I'm trying to get my parents to cosign a loan by showing them everyone else is up to their eyeballs in debt!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Come on don't by shy.... I need help!:confused:

Some student loan debt can be upwards of $150k, that includes Federal Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized, as well as private loans through a place like Sallie Mae. The loan amount sounds like a lot (because it is!) but it's practically necessary if you attend a private university and aren't married/don't have a job/don't have mom and dad sending out $$/etc...
I don't think it's necessary to have a cosigner for a private loan. I didn't have a problem getting a private loan on my own. The only thing that matters is the quality of your credit and the interest rate you'll receive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luckily my final tally won't be THAT high! I am married but in a way tht makes the finacial burden harder because we have a lot more responsibities than when I was single (house, two cars, etc). although we live very frugally, it's still not enough. I attend a public university, but we are considered undergrads for the first two professional year (I don't know if that's the standard) the max Stafford is only $10,500 which doesn't do much beyond tuition, books and very little in the way of expenses.

I think I do need a cosigner because my debt-income ratio is already horrid and my husbands credit isn't much better.

Which lender did you use Amanda (if you don't mind) and what was the best deal you found?

It's interesting that your college considers students "undergrads" for your first two years. That would definitely be a pain in the butt!!
For private student loans, I really don't think you need a cosigner (but I AM NO expert!). It's expected that all students have horrid income-debt ratios. Let's just say mine is $0 to $$$$$ ;) Of course the only way to find out for sure is to contact possible lenders.
I used Sallie Mae for my private loan because my school highly recommended them (and I really didn't want to spend forever researching others). When I talked to financial aid they gave me a sheet of all the possible lenders, their base interest rates and their special fees. I'm sure your FA dept has something similar. If they're not willing to help or whatever, then I would just call Sallie Mae and they can look up the maximum amount of student loan money you qualify for based on the amount you're currently receiving.