Telemed and malpractice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here is still doing telemed ? and if so have you adjusted your malpractice insurance to cover telemed visits ?
I think in primary care it is esp problematic as its easy to miss initial diagnosis w/o exam

Any recs on which telemed employer ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked with several Telemedicine companies and they all offer malpractice insurance so I didn't have to buy my own. I've worked for K Health and DrSays. K Health pays decently well by the hour but I didn't like the texting back and forth with patients and they're much more stringent on how you practice. They do chart reviews every few months and critique your practice. DrSays pays you a flat fee of $20 for seeing each patient which is not very much at all and visits are conducted through phone audio or Zoom videos. There are some restrictions that's par for the course with any telemedicine service like no sending of controlled medications and a selection of commonly abused non-controlled meds that you don't prescribe, but for the most part, you're more free to practice how you like with no chart reviews or monthly critique.

I've worked with several Telemedicine companies and they all offer malpractice insurance so I didn't have to buy my own. I've worked for K Health and DrSays. K Health pays decently well by the hour but I didn't like the texting back and forth with patients and they're much more stringent on how you practice. They do chart reviews every few months and critique your practice. DrSays pays you a flat fee of $20 for seeing each patient which is not very much at all and visits are conducted through phone audio or Zoom videos. There are some restrictions that's par for the course with any telemedicine service like no sending of controlled medications and a selection of commonly abused non-controlled meds that you don't prescribe, but for the most part, you're more free to practice how you like with no chart reviews or monthly critique.

What do you gross per hour doing telemedicine?

With malpractice it is important to understand if they have a tail in your contract, otherwise you're going to be paying for it.
Also, once you start and yearly you should request a copy of your malpractice coverage certificate.