Technology to actually see molecules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I've always had an ardent passion for chemistry and really love thinking about molecules. Call me a chemistry geek, if you'd like. Anyway, scientists and chemists know so much about molecules, yet we don't have the technological means to actually visualize/see them as you would see a cell under a microscope. Currently, it is impossible to actually see molecules. Do you think within the next several decades it will be possible to see molecules and manipulate them just as clearly and easily as we can see cells? I would truly be in awe with this and my passion for the subject would increase even more. Everytime I'm at work as a clerk/tech and count the pills before filling the prescriptions, I start thinking about the molecules in the drug...molecules of oxycodone, molecules of amoxicillin, molecules of benzoyl peroxide. I find organic molecular structures to be absolutely beautiful on paper with all their various rings, chains, and functional groups, yet it would be a true joy to have the ability to see an actual molecule of a drug or any type of compound one day. How great would be it see it and say, "oh wow, there is the carbonyl oxygen and the individual carbons of this molecule...".Will this ever be achieved?:love:

Members don't see this ad.

You need to lay off the Kool-Aid. No matter what they tell you, it's probably spiked. ;)

Where do your ideas come from? They're pretty entertaining.

You need to lay off the Kool-Aid. No matter what they tell you, it's probably spiked. ;)

Where do your ideas come from? They're pretty entertaining.

lol, haha. I don't know...I just have a very inquisitive mind and find myself always asking questions and thinking about new possibilities, especially in chemistry. After all, like i said, I am a nerdy chem guy. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Laws of physics or the sensitivity of analytical equipment would probably have to change. Probably have to shoot quarks at it so that they'd bounce of the electron's and nucleus and record on something that could register them with enough resolution to show the shape of the larger objective atom.
Just a guess....:confused:

I would love to see a molecule too.

I have always pondered about that in the past. While I am sure that we can do it, the idea is scary. Having a machine that can freeze a molecule that is constantly moving at speeds unimaginable to us would be pretty powerful. You got to stop the molecule from moving (for a drug, you have to keep it in its polymorphic state --> which might increase its shelf life), be able to see the electrons and stop that from moving too (think about the energy and percision needed), etc.

This means that our best chances are with non gasous. . 8 electrons ??? particles etc that are big.

Hey, guys. I've always had an ardent passion for chemistry and really love thinking about molecules. Call me a chemistry geek, if you'd like. Anyway, scientists and chemists know so much about molecules, yet we don't have the technological means to actually visualize/see them as you would see a cell under a microscope. Currently, it is impossible to actually see molecules. Do you think within the next several decades it will be possible to see molecules and manipulate them just as clearly and easily as we can see cells? I would truly be in awe with this and my passion for the subject would increase even more. Everytime I'm at work as a clerk/tech and count the pills before filling the prescriptions, I start thinking about the molecules in the drug...molecules of oxycodone, molecules of amoxicillin, molecules of benzoyl peroxide. I find organic molecular structures to be absolutely beautiful on paper with all their various rings, chains, and functional groups, yet it would be a true joy to have the ability to see an actual molecule of a drug or any type of compound one day. How great would be it see it and say, "oh wow, there is the carbonyl oxygen and the individual carbons of this molecule...".Will this ever be achieved?:love:

Go read up on scanning tunneling microscopy - not quite what you describe, but it was getting there a few years back when I did my masters thesis in chemistry.

Laws of physics or the sensitivity of analytical equipment would probably have to change. Probably have to shoot quarks at it so that they'd bounce of the electron's and nucleus and record on something that could register them with enough resolution to show the shape of the larger objective atom.
Just a guess....:confused:
I am SO buying a quark gun when they come out. If you want to mess with me, you'd better not be bringing a gluon to a quarkfight.

This maybe helpful.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/sci...rning-all-about-a-molecule-with-a-laser-pulse

...uh, we can already visualize small molecules... remember molecule man? (The IBM one not the comic) link here: http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/activity/act701.html

There are also scanning probe microscopes, and they can detect individual ATOMS, not molecules. I've seen this poster at my university's chemistry wing where they use a scanning probe to detect either a single atom of copper or gold... can't remember which.

Have you also forgotten about x-ray crystallography?

Just because we don't see them as ball and stick models doesn't mean we can't see them.

...uh, we can already visualize small molecules... remember molecule man? (The IBM one not the comic) link here: http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/activity/act701.html

There are also scanning probe microscopes, and they can detect individual ATOMS, not molecules. I've seen this poster at my university's chemistry wing where they use a scanning probe to detect either a single atom of copper or gold... can't remember which.

Have you also forgotten about x-ray crystallography?

Just because we don't see them as ball and stick models doesn't mean we can't see them.

Hey, thanks for the link. Great picture of carbon monoxide molecules.

Hey, thanks for the link. Great picture of carbon monoxide molecules.

If we can actually SEE molecules, 100% guaranteed, all highschool - university/graduate school textbooks will have to be changed to accomodate for the new findings proving MOST old theories incorrect. I'd rather not find out what it is because that would mean that everything I've studied in the past 10 years is a lie (which it probably is, but I don't need confirmation on that)