Technion Class of Fall 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haribo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone attending Technion next year?

Members don't see this ad.

haribo said:
anyone attending Technion next year?
I got in not sure if im attending...have you talked to anyone who has been in the program?

kra said:
I got in not sure if im attending...have you talked to anyone who has been in the program?

Yes I actually contacted couple of students before my interview.
well the class size is very small. This years second year students had a class of 7 students. But now that the program has changed, i've heard rumors that 25 students are going down there for fall.
They sounded happy with the facility, clinical positions....
Their only concerns were: 1. social life (b/c again classes are very small)
2. the school doesn't offer any preparation courses for USMLE, so they have to study it all by themselves. However, they mentioned that Technion goess into detail for the materials. so some questions on the USMLE are just a breez for them.
You can always ask the school to send you the contact information of some of the students.
if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask
I've done a lot of research on this

Members don't see this ad :)
haribo said:
Yes I actually contacted couple of students before my interview.
well the class size is very small. This years second year students had a class of 7 students. But now that the program has changed, i've heard rumors that 25 students are going down there for fall.
They sounded happy with the facility, clinical positions....
Their only concerns were: 1. social life (b/c again classes are very small)
2. the school doesn't offer any preparation courses for USMLE, so they have to study it all by themselves. However, they mentioned that Technion goes into detail for the materials. so some questions on the USMLE are just a breez for them.
You can always ask the school to send you the contact information of some of the students.
if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask
I've done a lot of research on this

Thank you, my major concern was coming back to the states and getting placed in a competitive residency program. I was able to get in touch a quite a few people from Sackler but none from Technion. I thought the class size was about 40? Are you definitely attending? I have tried to get them on the phone the past few days but have been totally unsuccessful. The last time I called, a women just said to call back sunday morning and hung up the phone. Thanks again

kra said:

Just curious, how long did it take to hear back from Technion after your interview? I interviewed for the Technion program in NYC on March 20th but I haven't heard back from them yet.
-David

dpr said:
Just curious, how long did it take to hear back from Technion after your interview? I interviewed for the Technion program in NYC on March 20th but I haven't heard back from them yet.
-David
I interviewed in december and found out in february...took a while..i would imagine that things would be moving quicker now since it is later in the process

dpr said:
-David

Hi David
I also had my interview on March 20th. You should contact them, b/c that's how I found out.
good luck

kra said:
Thank you, my major concern was coming back to the states and getting placed in a competitive residency program. I was able to get in touch a quite a few people from Sackler but none from Technion. I thought the class size was about 40? Are you definitely attending? I have tried to get them on the phone the past few days but have been totally unsuccessful. The last time I called, a women just said to call back sunday morning and hung up the phone. Thanks again

This is one of the posts from valuemed:

I'm a 3rd year and these are some of the matches that I can remember from the grads that I saw over the past 3 years:
EM @ Jocobi, Emory, maimonides(ny), Beth Israel(nj)
ENT @ Mayo Clinic
Radiology @ UKansas, + others
Urology @ URochester
Ortho @ Stonybrook (after prelim yr)
Int.Med @ UPenn, Jocobi, Mt.Sinai, Northshore, + others
Ob/gyn @ Jocobi
Anesthesiology @ Mass General
Peds @ Northshore, + others
A bunch of gen surg's I can't remember where.
Thats all I can remember off the top of my head, I'm sure their are more, but like I said their is no list, these are from people I saw graduate since I got here. The graduates that got some of the better residencies did great on their boards (this I know for a fact).
If you goto the hospitals websites many times you can see the residents and where they went to school. Also try doing google searches with different keywords.
Good luck

I will be attending the Technion, and would like to correspond with other individuals attending the Technion this Fall.

does anyone know if there any spaces left and how competitive it is to get in? i have an interview on may 18th and would really like to go there.

cubguy83 said:
does anyone know if there any spaces left and how competitive it is to get in? i have an interview on may 18th and would really like to go there.

Be of good cheer, you would not have been granted an interview if all the spaces were filled. My interview was a 2 on 1 with Dr. Alexander and Dr. Shalev conducting the interview. For the most part, Dr. Alexander asked the questions. The interview lasted for ninety minutes, and the questions were varied. All I can say is be yourself and have fun. Are you interviewing in New York?

Best of Luck!!!!

barak0826 said:
Be of good cheer, you would not have been granted an interview if all the spaces were filled. My interview was a 2 on 1 with Dr. Alexander and Dr. Shalev conducting the interview. For the most part, Dr. Alexander asked the questions. The interview lasted for ninety minutes, and the questions were varied. All I can say is be yourself and have fun. Are you interviewing in New York?

Best of Luck!!!!

i'm interviewing in ny at the ats. my mcat was 29 and gpa-3.5. what do you think of my chances? thanks!

cubguy83 said:
i'm interviewing in ny at the ats. my mcat was 29 and gpa-3.5. what do you think of my chances? thanks!

Yeah, your numbers sound reasonable. Let me know if you get into the program.

Good luck!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am an american student currently attending the Technion. Congrats to everyone who got accepted. If you have any Q's about the program or moving to haifa I'll do my best to help out.

Check out www.valuemd.com, their is a post there for new students too.

As far as getting in, if you got an interview then they like your numbers and your chances are really good, they're not the kind of people that waste their time interviewing for the fun of it.

Good luck to all

Rob,

I have a few questions:

1. Did you receive financial aid? If so, was it enough to cover all expenditures?
2. Any recommendations for housing?
3. When did you arrive in Israel?

I appreciate any information you may offer.

barak0826

1. If you attend the Technion you are eligable for government and private loans:
The stafford loan gives you up to $18,500 with interest subsidized by the dept of education. I recommend using Student Help for this loan, www.stuhelp.com.
You can also get up to $40,000 from Teri loans, www.teri.org. This is a private loan so watch out cause the interest is higher but still its a pretty good deal.

2. People usually live in 3 places: Down the mountain (which is where the medical school is located), On the Carmel mountain (an upper class area where most of the socail life is), or by the main Technion campus (Neve Sha'non). 80% of the people on the program live on the Carmel mountain (In and around Carmel center and Horev center). Its up to you where you want to live, I recommend living on the mountain, its like a 20-30 commute to Rambam every morning but its worth it and everybody does it.
Other key points, the medical dorms are not on the main campus they are by Rambam (down the mountain) so if you want to live in dorms on campus you need to make that clear. The dorms are not like dorms in the states, the have the bare minimum in them, and if your staying there this summer for ulpon (hebrew class) expect to fry (no a/c).
Pros and Cons:
downtown- short walk to school, really cheap rent ($200 with rommates), a run down area, no social life.
up the mountain- higher rents (around $300 with roomates, $4-500 for a 1br), has most of the resturants, cafes, bars, shops, upperclass neighborhoods (apts are cleaner, newer ,and nicer), great view, you have to commute to school.
Neve Sha'non- Cheaper rents, lots of students, Campus stuff (swimming pool is free, really cheap gym $30 year membership, student union which has a game room, salsa dancing, movies and various other events), its a bit out of the way 40+ min commute to Rambam.
Their is also the option of living in Tel Aviv and commuting by train b/c the train stops right in front of the medical school, its like a 40 min commute but a nice ride. This option only works well in the 1st 2 years b/c during clinical rotations we are many different hospitals all over the haifa area.

3. I got to Israel in early september for the ulpon (but will probobly be late august for the new students). I stayed throught the holidays getting situated before school started. It definitely sucks to have the lay over btween ulpon and the start of school but the Technion closes for the holidays and their is just nothing we can do about it. You can work on your hebrew, your gonna need it!

In answer to all the private messeges I just got:

You are eligable for $18,500 a year from stafford, and $40,000 a year from Teri loans.

interviewed today in nyc. anyone else? it was a bit of a bummer. they told me right after the interview that i was close to being accpeted but not quite there and that i would have to wait (apparently to see if someone better than me comes along). the docs were very nice though and seemed very together and polished. they definately made the school look more attractive to me.

Has anyone recieved the packet from the technion? It is supposed to guide us and list the things we need to do before the begining of the year.

So the website is www.stuhelp.org. sorry about the mistake.
Don't pay attn to my spelling on these posts b/c I'm not.

No I don't think anyone has. they are just a bit slow with the papers.

joshoua said:
Has anyone recieved the packet from the technion? It is supposed to guide us and list the things we need to do before the begining of the year.

Hey,

cubguy83,
I recently graduated from the Technion MS/MD program and would be happy to talk to you. I am working in the chicago area so if your interested in shooting the sh** let me know. email me at [email protected]

mike

Also this applies to anyone else who has any other questions about the program.

I can't help but wonder what the social aspect of the technion program is like, considering that the class is so small. Do you have contact with other students at the university? What is Haifa like as a city for twenty-somethings?

berrypie said:
I can't help but wonder what the social aspect of the technion program is like, considering that the class is so small. Do you have contact with other students at the university? What is Haifa like as a city for twenty-somethings?

Hi, I'm a second year in the program. The class next year will be much bigger than ours, so I think the social aspect will be better. It does make it harder to have a small class, but your social life is what you make of it. The Technion has a ton of parties throughout the semester for the whole school and University of Haifa also has parties you can go to. You don't really have any direct contact with the Israelis at the school, but you can meet them at the different events at parties. Haifa has a lot of pubs and cafes that people frequent on weekends and sometimes weekdays as well. These are up on the mountain, in the nicer area of Haifa. There are a few clubs in Haifa as well. The biggest problem that I had this year was finding the time and the energy to actually go out. It's easier now that it's summer and the semester is winding down. And if you're a beach person, you will love haifa.
I hope that helps. If you or anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask!

Dear Technion Students. I must say that this is a very difficult time for everyone in and connected to Israel. I am hoping to hear from some of you about what is going on now with your school as well as your own thoughts and feelings about the situation.

We are still planning to start at Sackler in late August. I have to sign for our apartment contract tomorrow in fact. See you in Israel.

Alex

Hi all!!!

I am in a dilemma on whether I should go to Technion this coming Fall. I do love Israel etc. however, I still have some unanswered questions. I hope someone can help me out...

Is there an option to study at Technion for 2 years and then return to the US?( like Sackler), or is it just 4 yrs at Technion?

How does the process of getting an American MD degree work?i.e. do you have to do anything extra than any American school, is it different than Sackler?

Thanks!!! :) :D

Sackler's program is 3 years in Israel, then 4 months in the US, then back to Israel to finish up some rotations.