Technion 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kapnut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Was wondering if anyone else is applying to the Technion TeAMs program from next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied. Interviewed in mid-January. I hadn't heard back, so I called Rinat last week and she told me that my letters of recommendation weren't "official" enough. I promptly had them resent. Hopefully I'll hear back soon...

Hey guys, first post on SDN. So I interviewed Feb 2nd and just got my acceptance yesterday. If you guys have any specific questions about the interview please feel free to PM me. I also got into Ben Gurion about 2 weeks ago. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances, Docoptimus!

I have a few questions for you. Did you get your acceptance in snail mail or e-mail? And what were your GPA and MCATs if you don't mind my asking?

I was also recently accepted and it was by email.

I actually found the Technion interview to be more intense than most of my US MD interviews so far.

What are you thoughts on the program? The interviews made the program much more extreme (i.e. class day and relative difficulty) than its american counterparts.

Overall, Technion is surely a well regarded top-notch academic institution (and probably the best university in Israel) but wonder how much of that is translated when it comes time to residency (which of course is the most important factor in any medical school)

Hey Eblashko, thanks a lot. I got the acceptance by email. My stats are 3.5 and 29O . Did you interview there yet and if so do you really plan on going?

ich bin a yid? ;)

Hey Eblashko, thanks a lot. I got the acceptance by email. My stats are 3.5 and 29O . Did you interview there yet and if so do you really plan on going?

ich bin a yid? ;)

Cool. My stats are right around there too, 30M and 3.5. Very promising :cool: Yea, I interviewed in January and should hopefully be hearing back soon. If I get in, I definitely plan on going. What about you? Do you think you'll be going? If you do go, are you doing the ulpan?

And yea, I'm a Heeb. You?

Also a member of the tribe.

I had 34 and about 3.5 gpa. I also have a us md admit, so I am kind of debating technion,

Also a member of the tribe.

I had 34 and about 3.5 gpa. I also have a us md admit, so I am kind of debating technion,

Yea, that's a tough call. What are you leaning towards? When do you have to let them know by?

Yea, that's a tough call. What are you leaning towards? When do you have to let them know by?

Not sure when you have to let technion know I have not got the acceptance package yet.

How are people ranking Technion versus Sackler?

Has anyone else noticed that the cost of Israeli schools are half the price US private MD programs?

During my interview I got a pretty positive impression of the Dean , although he comes off quite strong :). But I was pretty impressed that he flew out to do the interviews. I just finished my Sackler interview nd felt their approach was cold and removed.

The Technion is by far the best medical school in Israel. It appears that almost everyone in the American program of the medical school received MCAT scores above 30 with GPAs above 3.5 and with acceptances into US allopathic schools. There is absolutely no cheating and backstabbing here like most med schools. All of the bad stuff you read on studentdoctor is filled with lies from bad students. The dean of TeAMS is actually one of the most amazing gentleman that I have ever met. I am surprised that he is not the dean of a major American medical school. He certainly deserves this type of recognition for everything he has done here. The dean has made TeAMS one of the finest medical programs in the world. The classes are amazing, and the professors all have a full command of the English language. They easily digest complex medical concepts perfectly into powerpoint presentations that are the lifeblood of the program. The professors all really have a love for teaching which is evidenced by almost perfect attendance from the students. In actuality, most of the students here turned down offers from Sackler, Ben-Gurion, and US allopathic schools. People say this city is polluted and has some of the highest cancer rates in all of Israel, but they are simply mistaken. This type of slander about a place I call home is very offensive to me. This is probably propaganda originating from Sackler and Ben-Gurion administrators, but I cannot say for sure. Choose Technion and do not look back. It will be the best decision of your life.

At of curiosity Dawkins, what is match list like for the TeAMs students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else here decided to attend yet? I just got accepted and am debating between a few options.

For those still waiting: 33O, 3.5

Anyone else here decided to attend yet? I just got accepted and am debating between a few options.

For those still waiting: 33O, 3.5

I am in the same boat, kind of torn between going to mid-tier midwest US schools versus sunny Israel in one of the world's premier universities.
If I knew that studying in Israel had zero effect on residency placement the choice would be easy.

I am in the same boat, kind of torn between going to mid-tier midwest US schools versus sunny Israel in one of the world's premier universities.
If I knew that studying in Israel had zero effect on residency placement the choice would be easy.

Check out this thread:

http://www.valuemd.com/israeli-medi...erican-medical-students-program-technion.html

I am a student in the program and I can tell you 100% - if you have a US school acceptance, don't think twice and go there.

I've heard nothing of late unfortunately. I wouldn't be too concerned the website says replies come between April and July. They have a lot of paperwork to go through I'm certain and it's a great program.

I've heard nothing of late unfortunately. I wouldn't be too concerned the website says replies come between April and July. They have a lot of paperwork to go through I'm certain and it's a great program.

If you think the Technion has a great medical program, it is very likely that your brain size is less than 500cc.

If you think the Technion has a great medical program, it is very likely that your brain size is less than 500cc.

My brother there's no need for insults. When another holds an opinion that you disagree with, it's no need to assume it's from ignorance. I have read the rants and the complaints about the school, and my opinion is unchanged. I do nonetheless appreciate your input and somewhat back handed advice. I'm sorry that any school has brought you such anguish....are you speaking from experience?

Let's get this straight to those of you on this board:

If any of you are holding US acceptances you would be crazy to attend the Technion...or ANY non LCME school for that matter.

Returning to the USA is remarkably harder for any IMG, US citizen or not.

There are a few in the Technion program who gave up American acceptances- those who did so in the 2010 class now lack a residency position;. A residency spot that they most probably would have obtained had they gone to a US school. Those in the lower classes are openly upset at their decision.

If you think attending Sackler is better; well in terms of match data, this is undeniably true...however, US degree will more often than not, beat the non US degree in residency placement.

US students are reviewed first, complete their rotations in ACGME hospitals and then have the option to take their electives pretty much anywhere in the USA.

International students, at least those outside the Caribs do not take their rotations in the USA. They are limited as to where they may take showcasing elective rotations 4th year, as many hospitals refuse foreign students, despite American citizenship.

So, if your career, or residency placement matters to you, do yourself a favor and stay in the USA.

IF you really want to come to Israel; then it would make more sense to do so on an elective rotation FROM the USA to Rambam, or Hadassah etc.

IF you lack a US acceptance, then it would be wise to evaluate your options very carefully: a year lost reapplying may not matter in the long run, or a DO degree may become insignificant to you over the course of your career, or perhaps you will opt for a post- bacc program- they are numerous, and depending on your personality and work ethic, worth the investment. This is all up to you.

Personally, based on the Technion's match from 2010, I wouldn't get near this place. Besides the fact that only a handful obtained residencies; one guy actually matched through the NRMP. two matched through prematching contracts. Other students either did not complete step 1 or 2 of the USMLE on time. Others who had their steps in order just did not match! The fact that students were unprepared to enter the match in the first place speaks volumes about the other rants that are on here and elsewhere on the web.

Hopefully in the next few years they can fix it up and make this program meet its potential...for now though, it's a high risk investment.

When was I wrong the first time?

And what are you going to do now, start making up MCAT score averages about the program?