Teaching Hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatal_Oblivion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!..I just wanted to know ur views on the teaching hospitals for medicine in Trinity and UCD...Since i think they are both equally great medical schools, the only factor left is the hospitals...Which ones are better? (if there's such a thing!)..and which one is the closest to the university? u see, Trinity is great, but i don't like the fact that students starting their clinical years are expected to go to Tallaght on a daily basis!!!...How far are the affiliated teaching hospitals of UCD??..Also, do u guys get to choose which hospital u wanna attend or not?

Thanks y'all! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Fatal_Oblivion said:
Hi everyone!..I just wanted to know ur views on the teaching hospitals for medicine in Trinity and UCD...Since i think they are both equally great medical schools, the only factor left is the hospitals...Which ones are better? (if there's such a thing!)..and which one is the closest to the university? u see, Trinity is great, but i don't like the fact that students starting their clinical years are expected to go to Tallaght on a daily basis!!!...How far are the affiliated teaching hospitals of UCD??..Also, do u guys get to choose which hospital u wanna attend or not?

Thanks y'all! :cool:

In Ireland, the term 'teaching hospital' is an oxymoron. The only teaching you get here is from yourself.

I don't think that is true. I've had some great rotations in St. James's where the interns up to the consultant are very interested in teaching you. Yes, it is a pain to get to Tallaght. UCD use the Mater hospital, which is nearly as far away from the UCD campus as Tallaght is from Trinity. It really isn't that much of an inconvenience now with the Luas line (that stops at SJH and Tallaght), and Tallaght is bigger with newer facilities. I don't know much about the UCD hospitals, but I've heard that the Trinity consultants are more well-traveled and worldly. Anywhere you go in Dublin though, you will see quite a lot of things...

Anyway, at Trinity, you do your rotations in St. James's (close to TCD) and Tallaght, and possibly one in Harold's Cross (also close to Trinity). And then in 5th yr. you do psych rotations in St. Pat's (close to St. James's). So you don't spend all your time in Tallaght.