teaching for kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qaztake82

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone been a teacher for kaplan and if so, did you like the job, how demanding was it, did you have to remember everything that you studied. I am thinking about doing it but I studied for the test two months ago and I cant say that i remember all the details of the review materials so if the class isnt very structured then I think that I may run into questions from students that I wouldn't know off hand. Any input would be nice thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I finished the training a few months ago and am going to start my first class in September. Kaplan wants you to pretty much teach only what is in the Teacher's Edition of their manuals, and anything else they want you to discuss with the students outside of class if you've got the time. You could get away with not knowing everything. It's kind of like teaching "on rails," in that you won't stray far from the topic at hand. In other words, it's highly structured.

The problem is when you have students who ask lots of questions. :) I teach anatomy for another job, and believe me, it is REALLY uncomfortable to have to say, "I don't know," "I don't know," "I don't know," over and over again, or to say something that's flat out wrong and be corrected by a student. If you don't know the material, this is bound to happen.

I ran into a friend of mine this summer who was taking Kaplan's course, and he said everyone in his class had a hard time with the teacher because he seemed to barely know anything and constantly said, "I don't know." I think they may have let him go because of bad evaluations.

So, even though you're basically teaching on rails, it's probably in your best interest to know the material extremely well.

qaztake,

if you only got a 23 on the DAT, personally I wouldn't want you as a teacher. I would want someone a little smarter. Do your potential students a favor, and not teach.

Just my $.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
shizzleDDS said:
qaztake,

if you only got a 23 on the DAT, personally I wouldn't want you as a teacher. I would want someone a little smarter. Do your potential students a favor, and not teach.

Just my $.02.
only a 23AA, do you realize thats like 99.4% :rolleyes:

How do you become a Kaplan instructor? I'd like to teach a class but only got a 17 on the PAT. Doh! :eek: Am I still eligible? How long is the training and how many students per class?

i just got accepted into teacher training yesterday.
they require a basic resume/application and your dat scores first.
(you must score in the top 10 percent to teach is what they say)
then you do a simple 5 minute presentation on "how to ...."
if they think that you would be able to teach they call you and email you the next steps of teacher training which is 5 4 hour sessions.

shizzleDDS said:
qaztake,

Just my $.02.

LOL. That seems like a pretty tall order. :D

qaztake82 said:
i just got accepted into teacher training yesterday.
they require a basic resume/application and your dat scores first.
(you must score in the top 10 percent to teach is what they say)
then you do a simple 5 minute presentation on "how to ...."
if they think that you would be able to teach they call you and email you the next steps of teacher training which is 5 4 hour sessions.

I scored in the top 5% in all sections except PAT...So this excludes me from teaching? Nuts. Or can I teach all sections and then they pull another instructor in to teach the PAT?

They usually want DAT teachers who can teach all subjects, but you should be alright if you scored top 10 percentile in everything but the PAT. They also have tests of their own that you can take, and if you do well enough they'll let you teach that subject.

drat you shold still give it a shot because the percentiles dont mean much on dat because they vary and are wrong often times and like shizzle said they do a lot of training before they let you teach. The trainer will make you teach a mock class in front of him to see if he/she thinks you are ready. So give it a shot i think its worth it if you plan on doing it for a while, you get paid 18/hr after first class.

is top 10% around a 21 AA? 22? Anyone know?

i taught for kaplan back in 2003-04, and was paid $22/hr.

did you teach dat and was that starting

yes, i taught 2 sections in DAT, and that was my salary. i want to say it was actually 22.50 or 23, but since i can't remember for sure, i'll be conservative and say 22, b/c it definitely was at least that much

I've been a Kaplan teacher for a while now. I don't teach DAT (haven't taken it yet), but I teach SAT and ACT, which I know are far different from DAT-like material. Many things about Kaplan remain true reguardless of the course, though.

For the students, success with a class doesn't have much to do with the teacher - it has to do with how much of the practice material they use. Now for my SAT and ACT students, it's different, but for tests like DAT, MCAT, etc, you learn by doing ALL of the problem sets, all of the practice tests, all of the "recommended" material that is in the Kaplan library. A student's score is not going to raise because of the few hours he or she spends with the teacher in the Kaplan classroom. It will raise because of the hours the student spends out of class studying the Kaplan material. I have several friends who think Kaplan is a scam because their score didn't budge. They also didn't do anything outside of class. Suprise, suprise.

As far as the teaching goes, it's not bad at all. I would definately recommend it. They give you the TEL (teacher's edition lesson book) that has literally everything they want you to say in it. All you have to do is prepare your lesson (which means familiarize yourself with what you are supposed to say and make sure you understand the problems which are already worked for you) and teach it. Granted I don't teach DAT-type material (though I hope to after August :) ), you just have to be able to carry yourself in front of a group of people. You will run into things you don't know, and it's fine to say you don't know, but if you've done well enough on the tests to teach the class (90th percentile or better is their cut-off), you'll do fine. It's pretty good money and easy.

I would also make this note. If you are counting on Kaplan as a solid 2nd income, I would think twice. It sounds great at $15 an hour (at least here in Okahoma) and pay for prep time, but what they don't tell you is that your prep time hours are at $7.50 an hour. So say you teach a DAT class. The class lasts about a month to a month and a half. You teach 2 sessions per week. You work 8 hours or so at $15/hr a week and about 4 hours at $7.50. This lasts until the students start taking practice tests, which you don't show up for. About the last half or third of the class you're only working 4 hours a week at the premium pay and maybe 2 at the prep pay, so the money isn't as good as it seems. On the plus side, you're not working much. Bottom line, if you need a 2nd income that is substantial (350 ot 400 plus dollars a month), I would get a 2nd job that is steadier even if you sacrifice the wage. I used to work part time at Dillard's and made about $450 a month. Compare that to when I have a class at Kaplan and make maybe $200 to $250 a month (on a good month). Then you have to wait another several months for another class.

In conclusion to my forever long post: Kaplan is a great low-stress 2nd job, but don't depend on it for a large 2nd income. I have nothing but good things to say about the company.

-Brian

Stanford Fencer said:
yes, i taught 2 sections in DAT, and that was my salary. i want to say it was actually 22.50 or 23, but since i can't remember for sure, i'll be conservative and say 22, b/c it definitely was at least that much

I teach in Oklahoma City and the pay is standard: $15/hr for all classes except for MCAT, and $18/hr for MCAT classes. You only make $12/hr the first time you teach a course, then the other rate after you've taught the course once.

I'm sure the wages are different in different parts of the country.

You can't beat $15/hr for a 2nd job, especially not in Oklahoma.

-Brian