Tattoos in the OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikaëlMDsoontobe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just concerned about the tattoo policy in the OR. I know that you're not allowed to wear undershirts with your scrubs but will one get kicked out for having a chest tattoo and another tattoo with a length up to the sternocleidomastoid muscles on the neck? I'm aware that a turtle neck can cover the tattoos outside of the OR, but it's inside the OR that I don't know about.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like a strange policy. Is it the OR/ hospital policy or a specific surgeon?
Well I know surgeons wear a gown so that covers up everything anyways. A premedical student in the OR for example would most likely get kicked out because of an undershirt/sleeve. Reason being, the use of a scrub is used to keep as few pathogens as possible when operating for the safety of the patient. An undershirt/sleeve isn't permitted in this case. It must be certain hospital policies. If one does have visible tattoos though, I don't know how others will react to this situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I know surgeons wear a gown so that covers up everything anyways. A premedical student in the OR for example would most likely get kicked out because of an undershirt/sleeve. Reason being, the use of a scrub is used to keep as few pathogens as possible when operating for the safety of the patient. An undershirt/sleeve isn't permitted in this case. It must be certain hospital policies. If one does have visible tattoos though, I don't know how others will react to this situation.
I was wondering about the tattoo(s), not the undershirt. There are lots of medical folks with visible tattoos.

Neck tattoo in the OR crew checking in.