Tape / adhesive allergy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaseous_clay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a patient interested in an SCS trial but has a severe allergy to tape/adhesives including paper tape. When she had back surgery about three years ago, the adhesive from the dressing caused her significant dermatitis that still persists along her low back. Any thoughts on how to protect the leads during the trial and potential dressing ideas for the potential implant? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
suture with the anchors in place and then use whatever she is not allergic to- tegaderm, stayfix, steristrips and advice to be extra extra careful for the next 7 days------- also you can tunnel the leads under the skin for length of the Touhy needle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put the onus on her.

She can go on Amazon and buy a bunch to try out. She can try her skin with dermabond or whatever equivalent you have in the hospital system.

If I had to guess one thing, I would probably go with those Mepilex foam dressings they use on patients for pressure sores. They make some nice ones for post-op care with silver ions in them.

You could also just use suture for the leads, slap some petroleum impregnated gauze around it to create a seal, and then hold it in place with gauze and a mesh dressing/Coban tied around the abdomen.

Put the onus on her.

She can go on Amazon and buy a bunch to try out. She can try her skin with dermabond or whatever equivalent you have in the hospital system.

If I had to guess one thing, I would probably go with those Mepilex foam dressings they use on patients for pressure sores. They make some nice ones for post-op care with silver ions in them.

You could also just use suture for the leads, slap some petroleum impregnated gauze around it to create a seal, and then hold it in place with gauze and a mesh dressing/Coban tied around the abdomen.
agree, mepilex silicone foam dressing works really well, ace on top.

I have a patient interested in an SCS trial but has a severe allergy to tape/adhesives including paper tape. When she had back surgery about three years ago, the adhesive from the dressing caused her significant dermatitis that still persists along her low back. Any thoughts on how to protect the leads during the trial and potential dressing ideas for the potential implant? Thanks!

Stitch the lead in, cover with gauze, then wrap with ace wrap. Place in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees and bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

Thanks! All good ideas. I’ll see what the hospital has available and try one of these combinations.