Talking about interest in working with LGBT populations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gp2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a proper way to address an interest in working with LGBT populations as a motivation to medicine? I am not necessarily trying to only refer to learning about medical issues that relate to LGBT (which I also want to learn more about) but just in general being a medical resource for the community. I work with the transgender community specifically and I feel like there is often a feeling of disconnect between the community and doctors/ the medical field in general and I am hoping to change this as much as I can when I become a doctor. Does this sound too unrelated or idealistic or is there a better way to address this and still have this sound related to medicine? Is this even worth mentioning? Also, I am hoping to talk about this as an answer to "Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?"

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a proper way to address an interest in working with LGBT populations as a motivation to medicine? I am not necessarily trying to only refer to learning about medical issues that relate to LGBT (which I also want to learn more about) but just in general being a medical resource for the community. I work with the transgender community specifically and I feel like there is often a feeling of disconnect between the community and doctors/ the medical field in general and I am hoping to change this as much as I can when I become a doctor. Does this sound too unrelated or idealistic or is there a better way to address this and still have this sound related to medicine? Is this even worth mentioning? Also, I am hoping to talk about this as an answer to "Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?"

I believe that is a perfectly fine thing to mention if you haven't gone into it in other sections of your app!