takleef ; quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yesmeena

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
salam ,

what is the translation of "Takleef" in English ? I remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it .. please advise , thanks in advance .

(other than Mandatory or Social Service because they are not what i'm looking for)

Members don't see this ad.

salam ,

what is the translation of "Takleef" in English ? I remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it .. please advise , thanks in advance .

(other than Mandatory or Social Service because they are not what i'm looking for)

How about externship?

jazak Allah kheir for bringing this up , these terms have been confusing me for the longest time , here's what i understand they mean , anyone please correct me if I still haven't got them right , hoping to share the benefit ;

internship = imtiaz ;
both are compulsory right after medical school/college ,
you get paid for this training,
& are given supervised , limited patient responsibilities
& are trained in all general branches (medicine , surgery , peds , obs/gyn) plus a few specialty branches of your preference

elective = imtiaz rotation ;
1-2 month training in a branch of your choice (after covering the basic branches ) , eg . dermatology , orthopedic surgery , radiodiagnosis,
NOT allowed for graduates

observership = shadowing ;
post-graduate training where you follow attending doctors/residents during their patient rounds ,
neither get paid nor pay for it ,
strictly hands-off experience , no patient responsibilities

externship = nayyib za2ir (visitor) ;
you pay to be trained ,
they give you patient responsibilities , supervised by hospital staff member

PGY-1 (post-graduate year 1) = nayyib ta3een (staff) ;
you get paid to be trained
they give you more patient responsibilities , supervised by hospital staff member , usually a PGY-2 resident

NB ; vast majority of US residency programs consider internship year as the 1st year of their residency program training (PGY-1)

GME (graduate medical education) = any academic/clinical training after medical school ??

USCE ( US clinical experience) = elective , observership , externship , PGY-1 (volunteer or research work don't count here)

???? = Takleef ;
medical graduates are required to train/serve in underpriviledged areas ,
and/or in specialities where there is a shortage of medical staff ,
usually 1-2 years ,
out of a sense of duty towards their country for subsidising & supporting their medical education,
compulsory if wanting to continue in government medical facilities,
you get paid ,
have patient responsibilities similar to a resident

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yesmeena

Takleef is an obligatory post as a general practicioner. It doesn't exist in other countries so you can't really find a US equivalent :)

jazak Allah kheir for your feedback , but I remember reading it somewhere on the world wide web ! I was impressed at the time that it actually has an English equivalent & exists in other countries . what's driving me crazy is that I can't remember where I read it or where to start looking .

akeed it will come up sooner or later isA , thanks though .