Taking Your Career to the Next Level

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AD04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came upon an interesting article about peaking in a profession:

This part jumped out at me:

Cattell defined fluid intelligence as the ability to reason, analyze, and solve novel problems—what we commonly think of as raw intellectual horsepower. Innovators typically have an abundance of fluid intelligence. It is highest relatively early in adulthood and diminishes starting in one’s 30s and 40s. This is why tech entrepreneurs, for instance, do so well so early, and why older people have a much harder time innovating.

Crystallized intelligence, in contrast, is the ability to use knowledge gained in the past. Think of it as possessing a vast library and understanding how to use it. It is the essence of wisdom. Because crystallized intelligence relies on an accumulating stock of knowledge, it tends to increase through one’s 40s, and does not diminish until very late in life.

Psychiatry relies more on crystallized intelligence rather than fluid intelligence, and therefore we peak later on in life.

Yet, I cannot shake the inner restlessness and really want to apply more fluid intelligence to what I currently do, especially before I get too old and start being less fluidly intelligent. I feel like I've been coasting for most of residency and I feel like I've been coasting for half of my career after residency. There has to be something more than doing the same thing year after year -- stagnating.

For those who finished residency, how did you take your career to the next level? You can interpret next level to however you see fit. What do you do to make psychiatry exciting for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I would recommend you find hobbies and things beyond your work to find meaning in. Life is much much much more than just “success” and “peaking in your profession” and all this stuff. Based on your previous posts you seem to be obsessed with this stuff which may not be ideal

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol. don't have this problem. my job is ... too exciting. #SoBusy #LifeTooFull

you need to get out of your cacoon and actually engage with your professional community... lots of people out there are doing really interesting work.

Psychiatry relies more on crystallized intelligence rather than fluid intelligence, and therefore we peak later on in life.

Yet, I cannot shake the inner restlessness and really want to apply more fluid intelligence to what I currently do, especially before I get too old and start being less fluidly intelligent. I feel like I've been coasting for most of residency and I feel like I've been coasting for half of my career after residency. There has to be something more than doing the same thing year after year -- stagnating.

For those who finished residency, how did you take your career to the next level? You can interpret next level to however you see fit. What do you do to make psychiatry exciting for you?

I think a lot of doctors struggle with this after finishing residency. They spend 10+ years working like maniacs to reach the light, and then when they do, suddenly there doesn't seem to be much left. It's hard not to feel that you're stagnating when all you do is clinical work. That's where my interest in academics comes from, as you really feel you're pushing boundaries and have a chance to innovate and be creative. It's very tempting to 'settle' when you're a clinician as you can get a good pay with a very nice lifestyle, but that also has its costs. It's also the reason why I'm likely never to work as a full time clinician.

Reactions: 1 users
lol. don't have this problem. my job is ... too exciting. #SoBusy #LifeTooFull

you need to get out of your cacoon and actually engage with your professional community... lots of people out there are doing really interesting work.

Would you mind sharing details about your exciting adventures?

That's where my interest in academics comes from, as you really feel you're pushing boundaries and have a chance to innovate and be creative.

Would you mind sharing your experience? Did it result in anything more than publishing in an academic journal?

I practice psychotherapy so that maybe why it’s different for me. I’m never bored, always learning and always challenged. If I was just doing medications I think I’d be bored.

Reactions: 3 users
If you have a good idea, you can try to create something and apply for a patent, then market your idea. Sometimes the financial incentive is more dopamine-inducing than peer recognition in a journal.

Reactions: 1 user
Would you mind sharing details about your exciting adventures?

A lot of these things have NDA associated so, no, I can't share "details". I just have a lot of friends through my professional contacts who are involved in a lot of "non-clinical" activities in biopharma, treatment delivery, research, institutional investing, community/stakeholder engagement, etc. that sort of thing. A lot of this started with local psychiatrist association, just meet up with people and ask them what they do outside of clinical activity, what kind of opportunities there are, etc. and eventually it snowballs.

Would you mind sharing your experience? Did it result in anything more than publishing in an academic journal?

Well, the drive isn't really in getting published. The process is long and tedious, and you don't know if people will even care about your paper. That's one of my least favorite parts. It's more about engaging in discovery, coming up with and answering questions. There's always a thrill and adrenaline to that, as you feel you're on the frontline of knowledge and you don't know how things will turn out. My interest in science predates medicine, so in a way it's been 'in me' since forever. I think this is personal; some might find their passion in writing, art..etc or anything that can take their fulfillment to the next level. My theory is that a lot of the interest and even obsession with money isn't for money's sake but rather as a challenge (how can I make a gazillion dollars in x years). You need something to replace the drive that one has to possess to go to med school, do the USMLEs, go through residency...etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're misunderstanding the concept of fluid intelligence.

Yeah I was going to chime in and say that if anything, given the lack of really well-established and modeled facts relative to many other medical specialties, in addition to paucity of comprehensive treatment algorithms, psychiatry and mental health in general demand quite a lot of fluid intelligence. It is harder to imagine a task drawing more exclusively on fluid intelligence v. crystallized than a case formulation.

I diversified my interests and investments. Board certified in 3 and maybe adding a 4th board certification. I understand that no $ may come from that.

I work in pp and I have a small start-up that I expect to go no where.

I invest in real estate individually and through syndications.

I’m actively looking for the right local partners to start a couple businesses.

I otherwise entertain the kids, spent time on water, and try to keep the spouse relatively happy.

I diversified my interests and investments. Board certified in 3 and maybe adding a 4th board certification. I understand that no $ may come from that.

I work in pp and I have a small start-up that I expect to go no where.

I invest in real estate individually and through syndications.

I’m actively looking for the right local partners to start a couple businesses.

I otherwise entertain the kids, spent time on water, and try to keep the spouse relatively happy.
Why only relatively happy? 😝

Yeah I was going to chime in and say that if anything, given the lack of really well-established and modeled facts relative to many other medical specialties, in addition to paucity of comprehensive treatment algorithms, psychiatry and mental health in general demand quite a lot of fluid intelligence. It is harder to imagine a task drawing more exclusively on fluid intelligence v. crystallized than a case formulation.

I think you're misunderstanding fluid intelligence. It's about creating something new and pushing boundaries. Like creating new music or writing new book or starting a start-up.

Knowing how to treat, mainly in a defined system, even though facts are not well-established falls within wisdom -- crystallized intelligence.

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life. We all have limited time on this earth which can end abruptly without notice. I think moderation is the key , living simply and appreciating the beauty around us. No need to live in fear of death if you assume this day(or week - I like to live in weekly chunks) would be your last.

Well, the drive isn't really in getting published. The process is long and tedious, and you don't know if people will even care about your paper. That's one of my least favorite parts. It's more about engaging in discovery, coming up with and answering questions. There's always a thrill and adrenaline to that, as you feel you're on the frontline of knowledge and you don't know how things will turn out. My interest in science predates medicine, so in a way it's been 'in me' since forever. I think this is personal; some might find their passion in writing, art..etc or anything that can take their fulfillment to the next level. My theory is that a lot of the interest and even obsession with money isn't for money's sake but rather as a challenge (how can I make a gazillion dollars in x years). You need something to replace the drive that one has to possess to go to med school, do the USMLEs, go through residency...etc.

Very well said.

I think you're misunderstanding fluid intelligence. It's about creating something new and pushing boundaries. Like creating new music or writing new book or starting a start-up.

Knowing how to treat, mainly in a defined system, even though facts are not well-established falls within wisdom -- crystallized intelligence.

That is not entirely consistent with how those terms are used in the literature they came out of. Anything that involves generating an analysis, synthesizing information, decomposing problems into their constituent parts, and tackling an issue de novo. Crystallized intelligence is much more about accurate and relevant recall of knowledge and rote skills/procedures.

An Atlantic article may not be the definitive source for definitions of psychological constructs.

You solve puzzles with fluid intelligence. You win trivia night with crystallized intelligence.

Reactions: 5 users
That is not entirely consistent with how those terms are used in the literature they came out of. Anything that involves generating an analysis, synthesizing information, decomposing problems into their constituent parts, and tackling an issue de novo. Crystallized intelligence is much more about accurate and relevant recall of knowledge and rote skills/procedures.

An Atlantic article may not be the definitive source for definitions of psychological constructs.

You solve puzzles with fluid intelligence. You win trivia night with crystallized intelligence.

Unless it is pub trivia, when the fluid intelligence of a few beers has served me well.

Whooooah! I think we are taking theories of "intelligence" and being a little more than concrete here (is that ironic?) As in, waaaay beyond the evidence/literature of "intelligence" as we know it at this time.

First, there are many, many books on this stuff, and about a dozen theories. Second, about 3 dominants have now hung on for about 50 years. So, what does that tell you about the construct validify of "intelligence?' You either think its good...or waaay bad. Right?

As for "Taking your Career to Next Level..." maybe we understand the modal statistical outcome of this pursuit and also consider the "Peter Principle" and base rate statistics? You should pursue this thing as much as you actually want. But, you should also realize there is really no such thing as "life-work balance." Only only "life-work choices." Most people will actually NOT succeed at multiple career endeavors, and if they do, they are likely not to be truly competent in multiple. Much less "satisfied" by those endeavors in and of themselves.

Last edited:

I think treating patients is quite rote. Even in therapy. After all, people are predictable as a whole. You can see this in business (marketing) and politics (psyop).

But let's say you're right. Treating patients require fluid intelligence. How will you take that knowledge and propel to the next level for your psychiatric career?

I think treating patients is quite rote. Even in therapy. After all, people are predictable as a whole. You can see this in business (marketing) and politics (psyop).

But let's say you're right. Treating patients require fluid intelligence. How will you take that knowledge and propel to the next level for your psychiatric career?

Become an expert in a field and develop new treatment modalities. Become known as “that psychiatrist” that everyone sends X patients to. Being a good clinical psychiatrist alone probably isn’t going to elevate your career in the way you’re describing. Using that outside the clinic to develop something that will be used regularly in the clinic is what elevates your career, which requires the ability to recognize needs in the clinic setting.

I think treating patients is quite rote. Even in therapy. After all, people are predictable as a whole.
Uh...no. That is almost wholly and entirely false. Where did you learn such a thing? Especially the last sentence?

That is not even close to what the scientific literature we have says about treating even the most common psychopathology.... in adults OR children. Maybe we should "master" one craft before we take on another? Right?

I am sensing a restlessness here. What do we think this is about?

Last edited:
I actually have a lot more respect for those who were able to answer the question instead of nitpick about fluid vs crystallized intelligence. I'm very appalled at those who attack others just because they think differently. Did I hurt your ego when I think psychiatry / psychotherapy relies more on crystallized intelligence over fluid intelligence? Or did you want to fluff up your pride because you think you're right and I'm wrong?

Regarding people being largely predictable, this is seen in many different fields. How do you think someone would react if he or she got slapped in the face for no reason? I think a lot of us would come up with the same answer to that question. The fact that therapy is systemized (such as in manuals) is proof that people respond predictably on the large part. If there is no predictable response, there wouldn't be a system. But go ahead and say I'm wrong because of "scientific literature". I prefer to do my own thinking based on what I see.

. Did I hurt your ego when I think psychiatry / psychotherapy relies more on crystallized intelligence over fluid intelligence? Or did you want to fluff up your pride because you think you're right and I'm wrong?

lol, people here will get offended by the slightest oblique implication about their work/career.

I actually have a lot more respect for those who were able to answer the question instead of nitpick about fluid vs crystallized intelligence. I'm very appalled at those who attack others just because they think differently. Did I hurt your ego when I think psychiatry / psychotherapy relies more on crystallized intelligence over fluid intelligence? Or did you want to fluff up your pride because you think you're right and I'm wrong?

Regarding people being largely predictable, this is seen in many different fields. How do you think someone would react if he or she got slapped in the face for no reason? I think a lot of us would come up with the same answer to that question. The fact that therapy is systemized (such as in manuals) is proof that people respond predictably on the large part. If there is no predictable response, there wouldn't be a system. But go ahead and say I'm wrong because of "scientific literature". I prefer to do my own thinking based on what I see.
This topic is actually really interesting and I think you'll love this blogpost about it. It's the best I've read about it, better than that Atlantic article. He talks about how fluid intelligence decreases in the 30's (psychological reason for stagnation). But there's also an under appreciated "sociological" reason I quoted below. Also, a healthy diet and regular exercise are the best ways to preserve fluid intelligence.

"Friedman jets from boardroom to newsroom to state welcoming hall. He is a traveler of the gilded paths, a man who experiences the world through taxi windows and guided tours. The Friedman of the 20th century rushed to the scene of war massacres; the Friedman of the 21st hurries to conference panels. What hope does a man living this way have of learning something new about the world?

More importantly: What incentive does he have to live any other way?

The trouble is that just as our historian reaches her full stature as a public name, her well of insight begins to run dry. A true fan of her works might trace elements of their name-making title back to the very first monograph she published as a baby academic. She was able to take all of the ideas and observations from her early years of concentrated study and spin them out over a decade of high-profile book writing. But what happens when the fruits of that study have been spent? What does she have to write about when they have already applied their unique form of insight to the problems of the day?

Nothing at all, really. Historians like this have nothing left to fall back on except the conventional opinions common to their class. So they go about repackaging those, echoing the same hollow shibboleths you could find in the work of any mediocrity.

In each case the intellectual in question is years removed from not just the insights that delivered fame, but the activities that delivered insight.

The tricky thing is that it is hard to go back to the rap and scrabble of real research when you have climbed so high above it. Penguin will pay you a hefty advance for your next two hundred pages of banal boilerplate; they will not pay you for two or three years of archival research on some narrow topic no one cares about. No matter that the process of writing on that narrow topic refills the well, imbuing you with the ideas needed to fill out another two decades of productive writing.

There are practical implications for all this. If you are an intellectual, the sort of person whose work consists of generating and implementing ideas, then understand you are working against time. Figure out the most important intellectual problem you think you can help solve and make sure you spend your thirties doing that. Your fifties and sixties are for teaching, judging, managing, leading, and dispensing with wisdom. Your teens and twenties are for gaining skills and locating the problems that matter to you. Your thirties are for solving them.

Public intellectuals who do not wish to transition in the their forties from the role of thinker to mentor or manager are going to have a harder time of it. Optimizing for long term success means turning away from victory at its most intoxicating. When you have reached the summit, time has come to descend, and start again on a different mountain. There are plenty of examples of this—Francis Fukuyama comes to mind as a contemporary one—but it is the harder path.”

Last edited:

I mean yes, you were using the terms wrong, but I take your point is that really wasn't you were mostly interested in.

If we are talking about temporal success, yes, you will not be able to do this just by doing clinical work. If you are talking about not stagnating in terms of your practice, there are eleventy million threads on forensic practice for a reason. It is a radically different kind of thing that involves becoming familiar with a large body of exotic knowledge and learning to speak (or at least read) lawyer. You also suddenly have to really justify your opinions in a concrete and well-reasoned way that will survive logical and rhetorical assault. So far I have found it very edifying.

Personally I also do some resident teaching, read broadly in literature, work in fairly specialized settings, and am preparing at least one manuscript to submit for publication in an adjacent humanities discipline. Those things are not for everyone but they are the opposite of stagnating.

Short of that the reason a lot of us kind of scratched our heads at the idea of therapy being extremely rote is that there are so many different modalities and even within the most manualized modality the experience is never exactly the same with any two different patients. I am genuinely not sure how much therapy you have done but 'manualized' does not mean 'literally a script you read'.

Genuinely curious, perhaps you could explain the aspects of doing therapy you find repetitive and non-generative. I must be missing something.

Could you maybe give a clinical example of predictability? Getting slapped in the face leading to a predictable reaction (which only really goes through as an argument if you lump 'becones enraged, bursts into tears, runs away, punches you back, or says nothing in stunned silence' as the same reaction) isn't a great example. It is not dissimilar to saying that people react predictably to being submerged in water for many hours by drowning. Trivially true, but not speaking to the issue.

What maneuvers or clinical interventions you would actually use lead to extremely reliable and similar results across patients? Not asking for perfect replications or identical reactions but am still genuinely unsure what sort of thing you have in mind.

lol, people here will get offended by the slightest oblique implication about their work/career.

Ah, yes, subtweeting is a far superior contribution to the discourse.

Last edited:
I am genuinely not sure how much therapy you have done but 'manualized' does not mean 'literally a script you read'.

If that is what you think crystallized intelligence is then, then you're using the terms wrong. Since you use more fluid intelligence as a clinician, you peak in your 30's or 40's. I won't peak until I'm a geriatrician.

What maneuvers or clinical interventions you would actually use lead to extremely reliable and similar results across patients?

Rapport building through open-ended questioning, labeling, summarizing. Most patients respond well to that. Those skills aren't exactly ground-breaking and are better developed through experience. And why would you call people's response to a slap trivial? If you slapped people during your therapy sessions, their response surely isn't trivial.

You think what you want. I don't care about changing your opinion. I won't change my opinion. Convincing people I'm right isn't going to enrich my life in any way.

There are practical implications for all this. If you are an intellectual, the sort of person whose work consists of generating and implementing ideas, then understand you are working against time. Figure out the most important intellectual problem you think you can help solve and make sure you spend your thirties doing that. Your fifties and sixties are for teaching, judging, managing, leading, and dispensing with wisdom. Your teens and twenties are for gaining skills and locating the problems that matter to you. Your thirties are for solving them.

Thanks for that article. This paragraph reflects my life so far. I did a lot of exploring in my teens and 20's. Currently in my 30's, I have a career path in mind and have been innovating constantly. But I can foresee a day when the innovation slows down and there won't be anything new to look forward to. Part of the reason is this (from the article):

The tricky thing is that it is hard to go back to the rap and scrabble of real research when you have climbed so high above it. Penguin will pay you a hefty advance for your next two hundred pages of banal boilerplate; they will not pay you for two or three years of archival research on some narrow topic no one cares about.

There are lots of new things I can try. But it is worth it when the opportunity cost of experimentation is so high?

Last edited:
If that is what you think crystallized intelligence is then, then you're using the terms wrong. Since you use more fluid intelligence as a clinician, you peak in your 30's or 40's. I won't peak until I'm a geriatrician.

Rapport building through open-ended questioning, labeling, summarizing. Most patients respond well to that. Those skills aren't exactly ground-breaking and are better developed through experience. And why would you call people's response to a slap trivial? If you slapped people during your therapy sessions, their response surely isn't trivial.

You think what you want. I don't care about changing your opinion. I won't change my opinion. Convincing people I'm right isn't going to enrich my life in any way.

What I'm calling trivial is the 'ability' to predict that slapping people will make them respond negatively. Not incorrect, but does not tell you very much interesting about them otherwise.

Open-ended questioning, summarizing, reflecting are all good, sure. But that is still in the territory of what a close friend might do. Supportive listening is a basis of therapy but how exactly does it lead to change? If that is all therapy is for you i am not surprised you find it extremely dull and unrewarding.

Similarly, if 'they generally like it' or 'they generally don't like it' summarizes the relevant categories of behaviors of interest for you, I imagine you probably are good at predicting their responses. It also seems very incurious about the details of human experience and behavior or about these folks as people but I suppose not everyone cares about that sort of thing.

If that is how you view this at the end of the day, I have to agree that you are never going to find clinical work in this field very interesting.

No, it's not.

If that is all therapy is for you i am not surprised you find it extremely dull and unrewarding.

So I gave you examples of what leads to predictable responses. And now you're implying that's all I do for therapy?

You're there with the attacks again. I hope you don't treat your residents this way, especially those who think differently than you.

Please don't take it out on me that you'll peak in your 30's and 40's.

• Dislike
Thanks for that article. This paragraph reflects my life so far. I did a lot of exploring in my teens and 20's. Currently in my 30's, I have a career path in mind and have been innovating constantly. But I can foresee a day when the innovation slows down and there won't be anything new to look forward to. Part of the reason is this (from the article):

There are lots of new things I can try. But it is worth it when the opportunity cost of experimentation is so high?

One way around this is to hustle in your 30’s for financial independence. The financial ceiling for psychiatry is high and within the realm of possibility without having to kill yourself like a lot of other specialties

So I gave you examples of what leads to predictable responses. And now you're implying that's all I do for therapy?

You're there with the attacks again. I hope you don't treat your residents this way, especially those who think differently than you.

Please don't take it out on me that you'll peak in your 30's and 40's.

You're the one saying that everyone is super predictable and that is why you don't find therapy interesting. I asked for examples and those are ones you provided. I assumed they were highly central or salient to what you had in mind. I shared my honest opinion with you, namely that they didn't seem very persuasive and didn't seem hugely relevant to the work of therapy.

Coming from a place of genuine and legitimate curiosity here, what are the interventions that are more skilled or specific that you have such good and consistent success with? To the point, remember, that they are so predictable in their utility as to be boring?

If residents I work with express views or beliefs about mental health that seem unsupported by evidence or whose underpinnings are obscure to me, you had best believe that I will push them on it. Clarity of thought is important, and while people are certainly entitled to their personal preferences that doesn't extend to factual claims or logical arguments. I am happy for people to disagree with me but if I am responsible for teaching them I want to make sure I understand why. It is always possible i misapprehended or am missing something. I learn a lot this way.

For me thinking carefully about what I am doing and how i am carrying out my clinical work is a big part of how i don't stagnate as a clinician. It is also prototypical of fluid intelligence as traditionally understood but I am not going to engage further over what these concepts have historically meant as it distracts from the useful discussion to be had here, especially as others might read it later.

I am sorry you feel attacked. That was not my goal but I do want to keep gently pushing on certain convictions you seem to be expressing that seem baffling to me. My hope is either you share something that illuminates why you believe them or that you consider that perhaps they may require rethinking. I wish this kind of back and forth were a more robust part of psychiatric training since our field is still so much in the conceptual (or, as Elijah Milgram would put it, the 'metaphysical) stage. If it was this sort of conversation would I imagine feel less threatening.

Reactions: 5 users
You're right. I should have made yet another toxic/snarky comment that the OP needs to get a life.

Was definitely not meant as snark. Almost every physician I know needs that reminder from time to time, myself included. Our whole training system and professional culture is designed to make us forget it.

Reactions: 4 users
I hear you right there. Medicine really pigeon holes you and makes pivots and changes very costly which I think is really sad.

One way around this is to hustle in your 30’s for financial independence. The financial ceiling for psychiatry is high and within the realm of possibility without having to kill yourself like a lot of other specialties
This is the way! I turned 30 very recently and have been thinking about my trajectory as a soon-to-be attending. It will likely consistent of intellectually "coasting" but doing a respectable job of providing standard of care to patients until financial independence in a handful of years.

If I enjoy attending work I'll probably stick at it for a bit, but if not I always have the financial freedom to retire or pursue a different line of work altogether, whether it switching to econ/finance, being a stay at home parent, or doing something completely different like working in small restaurants to improve my cooking skills, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Interesting conversation

This is interesting. Coming to terms with our abilities and accepting the inevitable changes is wise difficult perhaps but wise. Interesting there hasn't been mention of the ancient psychiatrists who justify continuing to practice.

You're the one saying that everyone is super predictable

Dude, you have to work on your reading comprehension. You frequently jump to conclusions that were not said. Insult people because they don't think like you.

I shared my honest opinion with you, namely that they didn't seem very persuasive and didn't seem hugely relevant to the work of therapy.

Just because you can't see patterns in human behavior doesn't mean they don't exist. Your inability to see patterns may explain why each case is "de novo" for you.

That was not my goal but I do want to keep gently pushing on certain convictions you seem to be expressing that seem baffling to me.

Yeah right. Which is why instead of discussing about the idea you attack the person who expresses the different idea. Get off your high horse. Next time if you want to explore ideas, you may want to review the fundamentals of therapy 101 so you're not so offensive.

This is interesting. Coming to terms with our abilities and accepting the inevitable changes is wise difficult perhaps but wise. Interesting there hasn't been mention of the ancient psychiatrists who justify continuing to practice.

I'm probably more relieved it is an ancient psychiatrist instead a freshly graduated NP from an online diploma mill.