Taking USMLE Step 3 early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermelonseed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating from a NY medical school and going to an IM residency in NY. I wanted to take Step 3 in the end of June but I realize that NY has some restrictions about taking it at that time. I heard that you can get around it by taking it in Connecticut. I'm not sure how the process works...does anyone know how this can be done? What happens after I get licensed in Conn..how do i bring it back to NY? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can register for the exam through any state (i.e. connecticut - just pick this when you sign up) and then take the exam anywhere you want. Silly I know. Taking the exam does not = licensure. You have to fill out paperwork in your specific state for that. So it doesnt matter what state you use to register for the exam.

Trouta, others--though you can register for Step 3 in any state, will you also have to take it in the state you registered through, or will anywhere be OK?

Thanks~

Members don't see this ad :)
watermelonseed said:
I'm graduating from a NY medical school and going to an IM residency in NY. I wanted to take Step 3 in the end of June but I realize that NY has some restrictions about taking it at that time. I heard that you can get around it by taking it in Connecticut. I'm not sure how the process works...does anyone know how this can be done? What happens after I get licensed in Conn..how do i bring it back to NY? Thanks

so you are just finishing medical school and are going to take step 3 in 3 months??? can you do that? i thought it was a test that had to be taken during your intern year.

Taking Step 3 and passing does not equal universal licensure. In general if you find a sponsoring state to sit for Step 3 and pass, you most likley can get licenced in that state (but why would you want to? Just another bunch of fees). To get licensed in other states, you have to meet that individual state's requirments, Step 3 is only part of it. Depending on your degree (FMG vs US Grad vs DO), you may need other exams, or minimum residency years. In NY you need to complete 1 year of residency. My suggetion: take step 3 in Conn, wait until you finish intern year then apply for NY license.

so you are just finishing medical school and are going to take step 3 in 3 months??? can you do that? i thought it was a test that had to be taken during your intern year.

YEs I am a 4th year medical student, soon to graduate (just matched!). I heard this from a couple of residents and got it cleared up on here.

Thanks again guys.

so even if the state you are applying for step 3 in (connecticut) does not require any internship experience...is there still a potentially 6 week lag time for your application to be approved/verified by the FSMB...or does applying in a state like connecticut somehow shorten the 6 week verification period that starts when you apply after graduation?

I have read all the previous threads on this topic and still have this question. I graduate May 24th and would really like to get this test out of the way before I start residency on June 21st.

FYI - I heard that california (no internship requirement) has an online application and the processing time is only 3 days (I know this applies for current residents - not sure if it applies to medical students who have just graduated).

Plus I heard you can only apply once you have your physical diploma, which means that there will be, at least, a 1-2 month lag after graduating. I don't see how you can take it before your intern year?

Plus I heard you can only apply once you have your physical diploma, which means that there will be, at least, a 1-2 month lag after graduating. I don't see how you can take it before your intern year?

Depends on the school. At graduation we get our physical degree.

So I'm starting residency July just like e/other 4th yr, have some time and have been doing the World Q. I started out hot, then cooled, and now i'm back to warm. thus far: completed 64% w/ overall correct 65%, which puts me in the 62nd percentile.

step2: 236/99 taken back in sept

Shooting for the end of May. Those scores are fine right? I know ppl have passed the dam thing w/ less, but they've also been in residency = too busy to study, forgotten material not in their specialty, don't give a.

I just want to focus on my IM boards while i'm slaving for 3yrs, not to worry about USMLE 3...are those scores w/ almost 2mo left of studying & Qbank sufficient?

so the only real change I would have to make in the application to apply in another state so I can take it early is in the statement. "State Medical Board for which Step 3 is being taken..." that could be any state which doesn't have a waiting requirement?

taken from paper app below:
http://www.fsmb.org/pdf/USMLEStep3_Application.pdf