Taking the GRE late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Acetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I used to be a pre-med student. Change of hearts happened, now I am applying to grad schools. By the time I made this decision, it was pretty late. I have submitted my full applications to all the schools I wanted to apply to on time. However, I need to take the GRE later on. You see, most of the deadlines are Dec 1st, but I signed up for the GRE on the 2nd of Jan. Why? I have no other options as now I have the finals coming up, then I want to give myself at least 2 weeks to study....
Most of those schools said they start making decisions and offering interviews late Jan (~28th) till late Feb (~28th). With that being said, can I take the GRE this late? I have already submitted everything an paid my fees. Or will I be kicked out for the late GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so I used to be a pre-med student. Change of hearts happened, now I am applying to grad schools. By the time I made this decision, it was pretty late. I have submitted my full applications to all the schools I wanted to apply to on time. However, I need to take the GRE later on. You see, most of the deadlines are Dec 1st, but I signed up for the GRE on the 2nd of Jan. Why? I have no other options as now I have the finals coming up, then I want to give myself at least 2 weeks to study....
Most of those schools said they start making decisions and offering interviews late Jan (~28th) till late Feb (~28th). With that being said, can I take the GRE this late? I have already submitted everything an paid my fees. Or will I be kicked out for the late GRE?

You could always check with the schools, but I'm guessing no. You're taking it a month after the deadlines and score reports take a bit to come out too. It's going to reflect poorly on you to try this. You might be best served to take a gap year and give yourself adequate time to study well and apply fully prepared and not in a rush.

Reactions: 1 user