taking step 2 early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slitlamp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a fourth year med student at a state medical school. I have just sent my apps into CAS yesterday. I am wondering if i should take my step 2 early, and would greatly GREATLY appreciate any advice. i had a 231 on step 1 and made senior AOA. i am also working on three publications in my dept (two are case reports and 1 is a review article). i think i am pretty competitive for middle tier ophtho programs. If I could get into a top program, great. but im tired of gunning, and would be satisfied with a more middle tier program that has excellent teaching and faculty. should i take my step 2 early? by how early would i have to take it? i took this month off to study for step 2, but i still have to finsih up my publications and fill out ERAS. and i'm a little burnt from the CAS app and rotations last month.

thanks!! i sooooo appreicate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

No need to take step II early with your Step I score and senior AOA. If you're senior AOA, I take it you've done well (honored) in your clinical clerkships, ie surgery and medicine. Work on your application and start preparing yourself for the interview circuit and all that comes with that. As long as you're personable on the interview, you'll probably land a mid-tier optho program, with a reach for top-tier programs. Since optho is early match, after january your 4th year should be a long vacation. Enjoy it because internship is gonna hit ya like a ton of bricks.

Best of luck.

hey voxel,

thanks for the advice..it has really put me at ease..just one more question..i didn't honor surgery or medicine but honored the other rotations. i honored all of my second year courses and most of my first year...do you still think i should hold back on taking step 2 early? would doing really well (like a 240 or something) on step 2 change the tier of programs that i could get in to?

thanks for your time!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You really are a gunner aren't you? Don't be so nervous - seriously. Step 2 matters NOTHING at this point. PDs don't care now, especially with your app in already. Take it whenever you want to.

7ontheline
PGY-1 Prelim, Ophtho next year.