Taking step 1 as fourth year DO student and behind on ERAS applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UglyDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a 4th yr DO student who was studying for step 1 because I did not do well on comlex level 1 (15th percentile). I had something come up at the last minute right before my exam date so I pushed it back, again. I was trying to score high, now I am regrettably in October of application season. Yes, you read right. Applications are now being sent as I type this and here I am still trying to take step 1. This has been an odd year due to covid and even more eventful in my personal life. I don’t know what to do. My apps are not sent out yet. I have not taken step 2 or level 2 yet either. I am so far behind.

My main concerns - not matching at all with my low comlex level 1.
My goals - Take step 1 to open the door to much more programs, especially if I have to SOAP (Note: the score will not be back for another ~ 4 weeks and I am ready to take it now)
- btw, I’ve been consistently passing all nbme’s and practice exams for step 1.

I’m however, afraid if I take step 1 now it will simply not be acknowledged ever even if I send in applications right now (possible update later? But then interviews will be dwindled by late November?)

I need some really sound advice

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Only you know what came up at the last minute that caused you to push back step 1--it may have truly been unavoidable, but unfortunately it really has put you at a disadvantage.

I tend to think that the only way the USMLE helps you is in terms of ranking at places where you already get an interview, or for the SOAP process. That's not nothing. If you've already sunk a ton of time into studying and you're confident that you'll get a decent score, you almost may as well take it--but I would NOT take the exam if you're merely "passing" the practice tests. If there's any chance you could fail, that would really, really hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a 4th yr DO student who was studying for step 1 because I did not do well on comlex level 1 (15th percentile). I had something come up at the last minute right before my exam date so I pushed it back, again. I was trying to score high, now I am regrettably in October of application season. Yes, you read right. Applications are now being sent as I type this and here I am still trying to take step 1. This has been an odd year due to covid and even more eventful in my personal life. I don’t know what to do. My apps are not sent out yet. I have not taken step 2 or level 2 yet either. I am so far behind.

My main concerns - not matching at all with my low comlex level 1.
My goals - Take step 1 to open the door to much more programs, especially if I have to SOAP (Note: the score will not be back for another ~ 4 weeks and I am ready to take it now)
- btw, I’ve been consistently passing all nbme’s and practice exams for step 1.

I’m however, afraid if I take step 1 now it will simply not be acknowledged ever even if I send in applications right now (possible update later? But then interviews will be dwindled by late November?)

I need some really sound advice

Thank you

Depends on what ur applying to. Something not so competitive? Stick with the comlex score. Do everything else to strengthen your application.

Honestly, with what you’ve told me (15th percentile and “passing” nbme practice exams), you may be at a high risk for failing step 1, which will hurt you even more than just having a low comlex score.

There's another post around here just like yours and my advice is the same. You barely passed the COMLEX a year or so ago when all that information was fresh in your mind. If you're going to take Step 1, you need to completely crush it, 240+, or it will be a waste. A barely passing score, or, heaven forfend...a failure, will measurably harm your application.

TL;DR...Unless you can guarantee a 250 (which you can't), don't take it.

Only you know what came up at the last minute that caused you to push back step 1--it may have truly been unavoidable, but unfortunately it really has put you at a disadvantage.

I tend to think that the only way the USMLE helps you is in terms of ranking at places where you already get an interview, or for the SOAP process. That's not nothing. If you've already sunk a ton of time into studying and you're confident that you'll get a decent score, you almost may as well take it--but I would NOT take the exam if you're merely "passing" the practice tests. If there's any chance you could fail, that would really, really hurt you.

Thank you for your input. I am not confident in my score being above a 220-225 because most of my nbme’s were 10 points below that. I’m just unsure of whether me getting a 215 or so would help me open the door to many other programs simply because they see I took step. However, failing would probably ruin me completely.

There's another post around here just like yours and my advice is the same. You barely passed the COMLEX a year or so ago when all that information was fresh in your mind. If you're going to take Step 1, you need to completely crush it, 240+, or it will be a waste. A barely passing score, or, heaven forfend...a failure, will measurably harm your application.

TL;DR...Unless you can guarantee a 250 (which you can't), don't take it.

Thanks for your reply. I certainly cannot guarantee such a high score. I though by now I’d be scoring that high, but no. Absolute max would be a 230 (prob less). However, it is the transitional years that require a comlex that is higher than mine, and me getting a ~ 220 would hopefully get me in. Not totally sure, but I do see cutoffs around that score.

Depends on what ur applying to. Something not so competitive? Stick with the comlex score. Do everything else to strengthen your application.

Honestly, with what you’ve told me (15th percentile and “passing” nbme practice exams), you may be at a high risk for failing step 1, which will hurt you even more than just having a low comlex score.
Thanks for your input. What would be considered ‘non-competitive’ at this point and still attainable?

Unfortunately, you should have asked this question 3 weeks ago. I agree with others that taking USMLE probably doesn't add much to your app. I'm not sure that a 215 will really change much, and a 194 (which would be failing) would be really bad (although you wouldn't have to release it, probably).

But you have bigger problems. You haven't applied yet? If you're not planning on applying this year, then no problem. You have plenty of time to decide what to do, take USMLE if you want, etc. If you are planning on applying this year, you are already very late. Apps were pushed to 10/21 because of COVID and programs are reviewing apps now. At this point, your app may not be looked at no matter what you do, and almost certainly if you delay past 11/1 your chances of getting looked at drop precipitously. You appear to have a terrible habit of procrastinating, not a good look for an intern.

I am concerned that you'll respond to this post saying that you haven't started the app process yet, LOR's, etc. If so, you're done for this year (except perhaps for SOAP).

Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately, you should have asked this question 3 weeks ago. I agree with others that taking USMLE probably doesn't add much to your app. I'm not sure that a 215 will really change much, and a 194 (which would be failing) would be really bad (although you wouldn't have to release it, probably).

But you have bigger problems. You haven't applied yet? If you're not planning on applying this year, then no problem. You have plenty of time to decide what to do, take USMLE if you want, etc. If you are planning on applying this year, you are already very late. Apps were pushed to 10/21 because of COVID and programs are reviewing apps now. At this point, your app may not be looked at no matter what you do, and almost certainly if you delay past 11/1 your chances of getting looked at drop precipitously. You appear to have a terrible habit of procrastinating, not a good look for an intern.

I am concerned that you'll respond to this post saying that you haven't started the app process yet, LOR's, etc. If so, you're done for this year (except perhaps for SOAP).
Yeesh, I totally missed that part of the post.

OP, you need to apply immediately, independent of your USMLE decision. No matter how eventful this year has been in your personal life, there is no excuse for being this disorganized. You should have had the date of 10/21 circled for months. If you are really unable to get your application together due to personal issues, then you should strongly consider just taking a LOA to get your life sorted out and apply next year.

Reactions: 1 user

This was both disparaging and helpful. I appreciate it, nonetheless. I probably need as much constructive criticism as possible at this point.
My apps are in but like you said, they were late and may not be looked at.
What are the chances of being successful in SOAP? If I place all of my eggs in that basket, what can I do in my fourth year to increase my chances of SOAPing?

This was both disparaging and helpful. I appreciate it, nonetheless. I probably need as much constructive criticism as possible at this point.
What are the chances of being successful in SOAP? If I place all of my eggs in that basket, what can I do in my fourth year to increase my chances of SOAPing?

How late were your apps? How many interviews do you have?

There’s nothing else you can really do to prepare for SOAP besides maybe make sure your CV is good and that you have some backup programs that you can maybe lean on to take you in.

I mean, it’s tough. Hard to imagine anything short of a solid step 1 score moving the bar at this point. As enumerated above, taking step 1 in your precarious position is not without its own risks if you do fail.

basically anything you do at this point is in case you are SOAPing or have to reapply next year.