Taking Step 1 after Match for IM Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srs33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I got in the mid-high 400s on my Comlex I and II and ended up taking Step 2CK and did pretty well (230s range). During interview season, PDs actually asked why there was such a jump between my COMLEX and USMLE scores and they wished I had taked Step 1. I am applying for IM and am looking to do fellowship (Rheum, Cards or PulmCrit) and was wondering if anyone had insight whether it would be beneficial for me to take Step 1 now after matching and before residency or if its just better to focus on COMLEX 3. Based on the current rules I wouldn't be able to take USMLE Step 3 since I haven't taken USMLE Step 1.

TLDR- Should I take Step 1 post match day in the hopes that it may help me with fellowship since my COMLEX is terrible and my Step 2 was good? What really matters for fellowship applications (looking for Rheum, Cardiology or Pulm Crit)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I got in the mid-high 400s on my Comlex I and II and ended up taking Step 2CK and did pretty well (230s range). During interview season, PDs actually asked why there was such a jump between my COMLEX and USMLE scores and they wished I had taked Step 1. I am applying for IM and am looking to do fellowship (Rheum, Cards or PulmCrit) and was wondering if anyone had insight whether it would be beneficial for me to take Step 1 now after matching and before residency or if its just better to focus on COMLEX 3. Based on the current rules I wouldn't be able to take USMLE Step 3 since I haven't taken USMLE Step 1.

TLDR- Should I take Step 1 post match day in the hopes that it may help me with fellowship since my COMLEX is terrible and my Step 2 was good? What really matters for fellowship applications (looking for Rheum, Cardiology or Pulm Crit)

In service with my in house card program right now. Have spoken to the fellows and Cards PD. Here are the list of importance:

LOR from Cards PD > performance at IM residency and in house exam > research or case reports

Solid in those with a mentor to call up places for you will get you IIs. Acceptance is based on interview.

Reactions: 1 users