Taking some classes at another College instead of my University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Draxula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals. If I were to take a lot of my prerequisites at my local college instead of my university, would it be frowned upon? Reason being is that some prereqs are very tough at my school and I don't want them to destroy my GPA. The classes are about 1/3 of the price at the college compared to my university so that would help, too. Would admissions look down upon me for taking most of my prereqs at the college instead of my school?

Members don't see this ad.

Podiatry schools do not frown on students taking classes at a local college. It's a personal choice. All they care is if you've completed the requisites at an accredited college/university. However, some schools may question you during the interview on why you took the classes at the local college instead of at the University, and your best answer would probably be to save money. They will not frown on it, but may question on your choice that's all. They may see why there's a gap in your transcipt in taking courses at the University (assuming you took a whole year off to take classes at the local community college). One thing to note is that it will depend on your University and the degree that you are getting because the requisites may need to be completed only at the University. In this case, it's best to take them at the University no matter how hard it is. Another thing to keep in mind is the transferrable classes from the local college to the University. Some may not be compatible toward your degree, so you must look into it before taking courses at the local college. I had to take my requisites only at my University since it was required, and I took about 30 credits of electives (history, english composition, sociology, etc.) at my local college and transferred over. My personal advice is to take requisite classes at the University since podiatry would not be any easier. Take the challenge and prepare yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

As long as the school is accredited, this should not be an issue. However, you said that the pre-reqs will destroy your GPA. Just making sure that you are aware that all courses that you take will be factored into your GPA at the end of the day regardless of where you took them. -Admissions to Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
At the end of the day there are factors to balance. Cost, class size, when the classes are offered. Are you studying full time or part time? All factors to consider.

We have a local state university, and a community college recently turned state college, and I am finding that I will be taking classes at both schools, mostly because of when classes are offered. It's a good thing Florida codes their classes the same across the schools. It made it much easier to verify the classes I need, and the order I need to take them in. The classes for half the price doesn't hurt either.

To each his own in that regard.

For me, while I know it would "look better" taking more classes from the bigger, more name recognized school, I know I learn better and will be more successful in smaller classes. I hated the 100+ student classes in undergrad, and avoided those sections as much as possible.