Taking Prerequisites in community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know some pharm schools require upper level science courses (A&P, micro, biochem) to be taken at a four year university and not a cc

True (ie. Oregon State requires A&P upper division), but most will take CC courses. The only course I think will not be offer at CC is Biochemistry, not any that I am aware of.

OP- don't listen to others. CC courses are fine as well you get A in them and cost is way cheaper.

Members don't see this ad.

I moved from university to community college. I still got into pharmacy school. Don't listen to people who are trying to scare you. ALL the schools care about is the GPA and test scores. Don't freak out about prestige.

Haha me too. I took most of prereq at CC and got in. Also, don't overlook certain CC courses which depends where you go, of course, these bastards IMO is harder than some university. OP you have two people as an example- make your own decision.

hello,

i'm thinking..should i take all these core prerequisite classes at a community college? will pharm schools look down on me if i take these classes at a community college?

1. YES!!!! Save $$$
2. NO!!!!!!!! if you're in CA, USC,UCSD,UCSF are the ones look down at CC, but you still have 4 other CA program to apply to. 4/7 schools is pretty darn good my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved from university to community college. I still got into pharmacy school. Don't listen to people who are trying to scare you. ALL the schools care about is the GPA and test scores. Don't freak out about prestige.

Way to make a broad generalization based upon your singular experience :nono:

Do pharmacy schools think you less competitive if you did 90% of the prereqs at a community college (even though you did well)? I know Oregon State won't even consider one's application if you did A&P, and microbiology at the community college level. Thanks!

f53ygm.png

Hi, I was planning on going to Cincinnati State for the first two years towards my degree in dietetics. Now I've been considering pharmacy school, specifically the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy in Cincinnati. I read on their website that they encourage you to fill your requirements at a 4 year university, but the University of Cincinnati (which is the mother of the pharmacy school) is really connected to Cincinnati State - they even offer transferring students a scholarship. All of the classes at Cincinnati State transfer to classes at UC, and I could fill the pre-req classes at Cincinnati State by doing the Associate of Science degree. Would this make any difference, or does it just look bad? What can I do if I can't take the pre-req classes at a CC and still expect to get into pharmacy school?

I'm currently a community college student planning on pursuing a career in Pharmacy. I spent the past two years going back and forth between different career paths, and ultimately I have always returned back to a mindset to go the Pharmacy/Health-related route.

However, of course, with all this "soul searching", I feel as if I wasted a lot of time in my two years at community college, so I was looking for some advice.

As far as prerequisites go, I would have completed Calculus I, General Chem I, and General Chem II at my community college with A's.

However, I decided to not take anymore courses that would be considered prerequisites for most Pharmacy schools this year at community college.

I realize many members on this forum has successfully completed prerequisites at a community college and have been accepted into Pharmacy schools, but of course, I'm very paranoid and worried about it, so I would like to know if the following "plan" seems wise.

Plan:

1. Complete any additional General Education requirements required for my transfer university's Biology degree requirements. (Economics, History, English, etc)

2. Transfer to a four-year university, complete a Bachelors Degree in Biology, along with Pharmacy Prerequisites

3. Take PCATS, and apply to Pharmacy Schools

Does this "plan" seem logical or wise to do? Since I will have a whole year without any science classes, I'm planning on spending the entire summer before I transfer reviewing my General Chem I and II, and Calculus I.

Last edited:
I'm currently a community college student planning on pursuing a career in Pharmacy. I spent the past two years going back and forth between different career paths, and ultimately I have always returned back to a mindset to go the Pharmacy/Health-related route.

However, of course, with all this "soul searching", I feel as if I wasted a lot of time in my two years at community college, so I was looking for some advice.

As far as prerequisites go, I would have completed Calculus I, General Chem I, and General Chem II at my community college with A's.

However, I decided to not take anymore courses that would be considered prerequisites for most Pharmacy schools this year at community college.

I realize many members on this forum has successfully completed prerequisites at a community college and have been accepted into Pharmacy schools, but of course, I'm very paranoid and worried about it, so I would like to know if the following "plan" seems wise.

Plan:

1. Complete any additional General Education requirements required for my transfer university's Biology requirements. (Economics, History, English, etc)

2. Transfer to a four-year university, complete a Bachelors Degree in Biology

3. Take PCATS, and apply to Pharmacy Schools

Does this "plan" seem logical or wise to do? Since I will have a whole year without any science classes, I'm planning on spending the entire summer before I transfer reviewing my General Chem I and II, and Calculus I.

Maybe I'm thick or just slow since it's past my bedtime, so forgive me if I misunderstood...

If you are determined to pursue your bachelor's degree, why would you not just go ahead and transfer? Do you need a minimum number of credits or courses to transfer? Is it for financial or convenience reasons (not that it's my business - I'm just trying to understand)?

If you want to get a 4 year degree, I would just bite the bullet and go for it. You say that you don't want to take anymore pharmacy pre-reqs at CC, but English and Economics (amongst other Gen Ed classes) are certainly pre-reqs for many pharmacy programs.

I will say that I think (edit: KNOW) you can take 100% of your pre-reqs at a CC and get into pharmacy school (a former co-worker just got in after getting her Associates degree at a CC), so I wouldn't be paranoid about it. I believe that there are some CC's out there that offer just as high a quality of education as some 4 year institutions. I'm not here to debate the merits and disadvantages of each. However, I will say that I think pursuing your bachelor's degree is a prudent decision and one that I would whole-heartedly agree with - whether you do it after 2 years of CC or after just a handful of CC courses.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. :luck:

Does it matter if a Pre-Pharmacy prerequisite was taken over the summer at a Community College?

I took General Chem I and II during the summer sessions at my community college.

Or will some schools want you to retake them during a normal semester like in the Fall or Spring?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!

And yeah, I should have been more clear, I meant to say I would like to complete the main-science prerequisites at a university.

And if you don't mind, which Pharmacy school did your co-worker get accepted to?

I would like to look into some more community college friendly Pharmacy schools when I am ready to apply.

I was hoping to hear that, haha. And yeah, I agree, it's great to get 2 courses out of the way in one summer.

And as ridiculous as this next question is, I just want to ask this for clarification.

On Temple University's Pharmacy FAQ, it states:

Q. Are prerequisites from a four-year school viewed more favorably than those from a community college?
A. No, that is not a consideration for acceptance.

Does this mean Temple University accepts community college credits? For some reason, I could see how the answer might have two meanings depending on how you read it. I know it's a silly question, but could you interpret it clearly?

And also, is there a list of Pharmacy Schools that accept, or don't accept community college credits? I can't seem to find one for Pharmacy Schools, since I know there is a list for Dental Schools on the Pre-Dental forum.

I was hoping to hear that, haha. And yeah, I agree, it's great to get 2 courses out of the way in one summer.

And as ridiculous as this next question is, I just want to ask this for clarification.

On Temple University's Pharmacy FAQ, it states:

Q. Are prerequisites from a four-year school viewed more favorably than those from a community college?
A. No, that is not a consideration for acceptance.

Does this mean Temple University accepts community college credits? For some reason, I could see how the answer might have two meanings depending on how you read it. I know it's a silly question, but could you interpret it clearly?

And also, is there a list of Pharmacy Schools that accept, or don't accept community college credits? I can't seem to find one for Pharmacy Schools, since I know there is a list for Dental Schools on the Pre-Dental forum.
I interpreted that FAQ as Temple giving equal weight to both university and cc classes.

The best course of action is to check each school individually to see if they look favorably towards university classes. Like previous posters mentioned UCSD, UCSF and USC looks favorably towards university classes.

At the same time Oregon State University's pharmacy program won't even accept certain classes(A&P and Micro) from a cc.

So just do your research so you won't waste your money.

I have a BA already.

I've been taking my prerequisites at community college. The difference in cost is significant, and there is the benefit of smaller class sizes so the professors can actually get to know the students. It also seems the community college professors are a lot more accessible than at university (more office hours).

If I had to do it over again, I would have taken A&P and microbiology at a university at the 300 level, for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. For some reason, many schools do not like to transfer these specific courses from community colleges. I'd also try to take a full year of calculus from one school, simply because so many schools are very particular about exactly what they'll accept for calculus, but a full year should fulfill all requirements.

Are community college courses automatically considered lower division?

At the cc I went to, the 100 level courses are lower division while 200 level courses are considered upper division because the content of the material taught will be that of 4-year schools.

On pharmcas, can I put 200 level classes as upper division or do I have to put lower division because they are cc classes?

I believe all 100 and 200 level classes are considered lower division.

Can i ask plz that what grade you got in chem 1 and 2 after transferring from CC. Which state University did u transfer. what was your Gpa in CC.

Hi, You have encouraged me alot. I am currently in CC. I always have a very solid fear that i will not be accepted in Pharmacy school becasue i am not a student in 4 yr college. But Now i know its not true any more. I get confuse when i think that How the GPA get calculated when we transfer to 4 yr colleege. I mean the cc college dat i go in to transfer to 4 yr college and the GPA does not count once we have transfered our classes. Than how the Pharmacy school see the GPA of CC courses.
Another question is that I am planning to take higher level courses like O chem 1 and Chem 2 and Microbiology in 4 yr college. So how it will work to calculate my GPA becasue i will not be taking them all in one smester. And i don't need any other subjects to take that i could make my course load balance As i did in CC. Please help me i am very concerned about it. Thanks

I forgot to mention my GPA in CC. It is from 3.3 range to 3.4.....
i don't know how i can find some volunteer work in order to get in Pharmacy.....
Along completingprerequisets of Pharmacy i am also completing Liberal Arts and Science at CC. Plz help me and feel free to ask any questions. My home state is CT.

I feel the same as everyone else with the uneasiness about the CC courses. One of the schools I plan to apply to told me that I should take the courses where ever I believe I will get the best grade. I had a 3.91 GPA leaving CC after 2 years (all A's and one B in a 5 credit math) and I am now at a University. The professors here are not good at teaching, the TA's don't speak english well and generally don't know what they are doing, and I am so completely upset/bummed out. I am only half way through my first semester here and I am already considering just going back to CC to do the best I can do. I literally feel less intelligent after being here for 8 weeks.

Should I go back and continue to get A's or should I struggle here and get C's and risk not being accepted? I'm so lost :(