Taking Pre-requisites after College Graduation at a Different College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iheartpod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to graduate from the University of Texas with a BA in Psychology, and only recently shadowed a podiatrist and decided I would love to pursue a future in the profession. How does it look if I take my science prerequisites at another school (such as University of Houston)? I saw on another thread that taking all prerequisites at a community college may be looked down upon and I want to get prepared as well as possible for the MCAT while still making good grades in these classes. What do podiatry schools think about my plans?

Members don't see this ad.

Call the admissions coordinators at the schools you are interested in applying to. They will give you an honest answer. I really have no idea. Information on contacting the individual schools can be found at www.aacpm.org

GPA will count more than which school you went to.

HOWEVER, there are things to consider.
If there are two applicants with similar statistics stats (academically and extracurricular), then the university you went to might have some effect.

The mcat places everyone theorectically on an equal playing field. The mcat usually adjust for the college education differences.
Two applicants:

Student 1: GPA = 4.0 MCAT = 18

Student 2: GPA = 3.2 MCAT = 27

Student 2 has a lower GPA but a much higher MCAT. This may say that the education student 2 recieved was more tough or he prepared a lot more for the MCAT. Either way, it still looks good. More likely than not, student 2 will recieve more acceptances.

Don't quote me though. This is just what I heard, no first hand experience like jonwill.

Iheartpod said:
I am about to graduate from the University of Texas with a BA in Psychology, and only recently shadowed a podiatrist and decided I would love to pursue a future in the profession. How does it look if I take my science prerequisites at another school (such as University of Houston)? I saw on another thread that taking all prerequisites at a community college may be looked down upon and I want to get prepared as well as possible for the MCAT while still making good grades in these classes. What do podiatry schools think about my plans?

I agree w/ grim. When you get into your interview if they ask why the change. Be honest, tell them that you didn't find podiatry until after your undergrad. Not very many people know that podiatry is the road they will take. I know that at DMU, your character is as important as your GPA. I heard a story about an applicant who had unbelievable stats but made an nasty comment while touring the school. I guess he was very upset that they said no and DMU was the only place he wanted to go.

So, get your prerequisites done w/ good grades; that is what matters.