Taking Pre-reqs and chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gibby123

Reaction score
Hi, so I’m graduating from UF with a B.A. I didn’t know I wanted to apply to vet school and didn’t take it seriously until now. So I’m planning to finish all my science pre-reqs at a local college. It’s going to take me around a year and a half. But I plan to volunteer at a vet clinic. My Gpa as of right now is 3.14 and I’m applying to all the vet schools that don’t require the GRE. Does anyone have any advice? I’m super anxious about this whole process and slightly confused by it. Do I have a good chance of getting into any schools? And I’ll be around 25 when I start vet school, will that be older than the average people there? Or is it normal to take some time before applying? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

This is exactly like me! I also did not know I wanted to go to vet school seriously until shortly after I graduated with my B.A. in English. I didn’t take any science in college, unless you count foundations of environmental law. I’ve been taking my pre-reqs at a local school as well and work in an emergency clinic. I’d say don’t be worried about your age, I just turned 25 and I know tons of people who are older than
I am and the same age in school or graduating. I also wouldn’t be worried if the timeline doesn’t go exactly how you want. It’s okay to take time, life gets in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
This is exactly like me! I also did not know I wanted to go to vet school seriously until shortly after I graduated with my B.A. in English. I didn’t take any science in college, unless you count foundations of environmental law. I’ve been taking my pre-reqs at a local school as well and work in an emergency clinic. I’d say don’t be worried about your age, I just turned 25 and I know tons of people who are older than
I am and the same age in school or graduating. I also wouldn’t be worried if the timeline doesn’t go exactly how you want. It’s okay to take time, life gets in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much, this made me feel a lot better. Good luck with your pre-reqs and applications!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're able to knock out those pre-reqs with some A's, I would also look at some schools that highlight pre-req, science, and last 45 GPAs in their application reviews.

And to comment on the age, I will be turning 26 right at the start of vet school this fall, and know a handful of classmates at a similar age. I got my Masters and then ended up taking two years to work while I endured two application cycles. Looking back, I'm not sure if I would have felt mentally prepared/mature enough if I had started straight out of undergrad at 21. *Not saying other people aren't, thats just a reflection I've had on my personal growth*.

Reactions: 1 users
I had multiple acceptances this cycle with a cumulative GPA of 3.08 so it’s do-able! I think what helped me a ton was doing well in my post-bacc courses (I had a 4.0 last 45 credit GPA, which was all science), an above average GRE, and diverse experiences. Try to get experience in as many areas of vet med as possible and establish relationships with professors in your post-bacc coursework so you can use them to write you strong letters of recommendation when you apply.

I’m starting vet school in the fall and I’m 32. I spent the last 10 years in an unrelated career and there are more of us non-traditional students than you’d think! 25 is nothin’ :p

Reactions: 4 users
Our graduating class had several of us in our mid to late 40's at time of admission, several more in the 30's. 25! Are you kidding? :-D

My Gpa as of right now is 3.14 and I’m applying to all the vet schools that don’t require the GRE.

As a blanket strategy, this may not work in your favor well. Different schools have different application processes that favor different things in applications. So even though two schools don't require the GRE, one may have an application process that fits you better than the other. So applying to the one may be a waste of 200+ dollars between the VMCAS fee and the supplemental fee.

Do I have a good chance of getting into any schools?

It's hard to give you decent help without more info besides your cGPA. WAMC threads follow the following basic layout, plus what ever things you want to add as background info or specific questions you have. Vet school is pretty competitive to get into, so part of the game is having a school list that favors you. It sounds like you are potentially a ways off having to make a solid final list. But knowing in general where you want to go to school will help tailor your application to the schools, rather than the other way around. Not all schools share the same prerequisites either. I always suggest having your state school on your list as it will be your cheapest option.

Schools I want to apply to:

cGPA:
Science GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE:

Vet Experiences:

Animal Experiences:

Honors/Awards:

Letters of recommendation:

Background info:

Questions

And I’ll be around 25 when I start vet school, will that be older than the average people there? Or is it normal to take some time before applying?

I will be 29 when I graduate vet school! First year, my class ranged from 20-42 I think in age, with the average being 23 or 24. 25 aint old compared to a lot of people in vet med.