Taking Physics over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mordowin

Reaction score
So I'm a 1st year UCLA student with a major in Music, and I've been taking only math, biology, and chemistry courses this entire year (no major reqs) to get my pre med reqs out of the way before I start doing my music courses. However, I realized that I can't fit physics into my schedule and still graduate on time, so I was thinking of taking the accelerated physics courses at Southern California University of Health Sciences since they offer the entire year of physics in just 8 weeks in the summer (with lab!) So my question is, would it be looked down upon to adcoms if I took these courses there? I mean its just physics (not bio/ biochem/ phys) and I still have a 4.0 gpa even with all the STEM courses I've been taking at UCLA, so it's not like I'm trying to get an easy A?

Members don't see this ad.

No you would be fine if you took physics over the summer especially since it is not at a community college. However, as a fair warning, physics can be a bear with it being condensed down into the summer. So if you have the time to include it during your normal semester, then you could just do that as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I took both semesters of physics with respective labs over the summer to get it in before my MCAT and I didn't think it was too bad. Especially since math is not my strongest skill, it was nice to be able to focus solely on physics instead of also having to balance it with Ochem, Biochem ETC.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No you would be fine if you took physics over the summer especially since it is not at a community college. However, as a fair warning, physics can be a bear with it being condensed down into the summer. So if you have the time to include it during your normal semester, then you could just do that as well.
I've taken AP Physics in high school so its not entirely new material for me, plus this course is actually algebra-based physics not calculus, so I don't think it'll be too difficult

I took both semesters of physics with respective labs over the summer to get it in before my MCAT and I didn't think it was too bad. Especially since math is not my strongest skill, it was nice to be able to focus solely on physics instead of also having to balance it with Ochem, Biochem ETC.
Okay, that's good to hear!

I am an instructor at a community college where I teach chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. What do I need to do to get rid of the impression that community colleges are second rate? My courses tend to be challenging and teach students to think critically.