Taking new version of MCAT in August too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PagingDr.F

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently wait listed at three schools. I scored a 31 on my first MCAT (10, 10, 11) on Jan. 15. 2015. Since I'm reapplying many schools require the new version of the MCAT. Is taking the new version in August of this application cycle (2018) way too late? (Technically my score is still <3 years old)

I've looked at the page indicating each medical school's policies regarding taking new and old MCATs:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...b166-43396de8daaa/mcat_policies_june_2016.pdf

My question: Should I indicate that I will be taking the MCAT august 11th? Will this put me at a serious disadvantage? Or should I not indicate it on the AMCAS until the date approaches? Am I even allowed to do this?

My initial plan was to apply to schools only accepting BOTH versions, but I don't know how these schools would view an "upcoming" MCAT - as in would they even send me a secondary? or would they wait for my new score?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say you take the MCAT in August, so your score would be released in September. Hopefully the schools you apply to don't consider the MCAT to send a secondary, so your application is complete in September. Approximately 50% of interview invites have already been sent out by the end of September (Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker). If secondaries take longer, you'll be delayed even further. Why put yourself at this disadvantage?

tKgsETY.png

Thank you for both responses. I guess additional information on my part is required...

6) Lastly, many medical schools themselves say the most common mistake for reapplicants is applying again too soon as I have outlined extensively below

I have been wait-listed at a school that offers a graduate certificate program to those that have been wait-listed. While it is unfortunately costly, it does guarantee admission to those who successfully complete the program and were wait-listed the previous cycle (like me). Although one of the requirements is that I take the new version of the MCAT (no later than September 30th) - which is the main reason I am retaking it (this is my home school so not far from my top choice - easily my second choice).

I agree reapplying too soon is a big nono, but that's for people who sat on their butts during the application cycle and did not continue to strengthen their application for the next cycle. I have numerous activities/experiences I have been participating in during this application cycle to bolster my competitiveness for this up-coming cycle. Albeit, preparing for the new version of the MCAT was not one of them...(yes, my mistake.)

My point is, I have been WL at 3 schools, 2 of which still accept the old MCAT score and one that has accepted me to what is essentially a bridge program. Would it be wise to rush my prep for the new MCAT and risk being admitted to my top choice (which is one of the schools I've been wait-listed at...)? Would it be wise to even update them on this information and ask for their advice? I have had some positive communication with the school - positive excluding the acceptance (haha...).

3) Applying to a school without knowing your MCAT score falls in my list of Top Ten Mistakes for a Premed

I also totally agree with this but given my current situation, I feel that rushing my prep for the new MCAT would only kill my chances of getting into any other schools besides the one I am doing the bridge program at. If I score lower than my current percentile, I still have my bridge program to fall back on. If I kill it, maybe I get lucky and get a later interview that can possibly turn into an acceptance. I do understand the fact that a late MCAT score will limit the number of possible interview invites @Neuroplasticity .

I basically don't want to limit my choices to only one school...but either way I look at it, that's what I'm doing by taking it earlier (lets say early July) or taking it too late (early aug).

Seriously, thanks for the advice and info, these are the same concerns I share with taking such a late MCAT. Any further thoughts on the matter are welcomed and appreciated @gonnif @Neuroplasticity

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your GPAs?

3.45 BPCM
3.25 Cum
3.91 Post-bacc (40 undergrad credits in high level science courses - My degree was in exercise science so I skipped over some of these...Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Neuroscience, etc.)

3.45 BPCM
3.25 Cum
3.91 Post-bacc (40 undergrad credits in high level science courses - My degree was in exercise science so I skipped over some of these...Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Neuroscience, etc.)
I know which bridge program you are talking about. I don't know the difficulty of the program in relation to medical school courses, since it wasn't around when I was selecting SMPs, but a 3.7 in my SMP meant you were at or pretty close to the top of the class (this was a program with lots of people with mid to high 30 mcats). A 31 is a decent score and I'd try to get the most mileage out of it before expiration and apply very broadly this year before taking/submitting a new MCAT. If you get a better MCAT, you can then report it to schools. I would probably do the program anyways since you can't get any better than a conditional acceptance (Other than an acceptance). Also, maybe some schools who didn't take you last year will take you this year if you report doing well in the program, since GPA seems to be your biggest issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user