Taking Naplex Tommorow 6/18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowly707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys new to this forum,

Iam taking the Naplex tommorow:eek:. I feel that math is my strong point and Iam hoping it can get me the bulk of the points. My brother took it last week and he said it wasn't too bad but he only got like 10-15 math questions. Well see how it goes. APHA book is overkill in my opinion...it only hits on the basic stuff and not the real stuff that Naplex tests (miscellaneous topics like refridgeration, dosage forms, etc.)...Well see how it goes....I decided not to take Pre-naplex....my reasoning is that is it really going to make a difference if I take it now...if I did bad it would only ruin my confidence.

Keep you guys updated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't know the answer, don't think about it. Just pick something and move on. If it's a math problem where you can't get an answer after a couple tries or it takes more than 3 minutes, just pick something. The last thing you want to do is run out of time or feel rushed towards the end and miss some easy questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi

I passed naplex few weeks back.
my advice will be focus mainly on Apha,try to read most of the chapter twice or thrice.Try to cover most of the chapters given in Apha,you can also use any secondry source for reference too.If you want you can make notes of important things of each chapter giving stress on any special drug, counseling,storage or unique side effect.Dont waste lots of time on cancer drugs,organ transplant,just know the classes and MOA and any unique side effect.Practice maths question too.Do not take lot of stress about calculation as most of maths q dont require complicated calc.80% of them were one or two step.About stats,they generally ask 5-8 questions,but I would say dont worry a lot about the new addition,if you do good job in other parts,you will be fine.Do nt leave HIV,atleast know classes and side effects.
When you are done with Apha just take some practice test to have idea about your prep.I would say last 10-15 days focus mainly on practice tests.I took practice test from chasenaplex ,recommended by some of my friends.It has lot of good questions on counseling,storage,unique side effect etc.And finally a week before take prenaplex.If your lowest score range falls above 80 you are good to go.
Hope it will help in naplex.

Ok Guys just got back from taking the Naplex today....overall I would say it wasn't too bad but it definitely was not a cake walk like some others try to make it out to be. I would disagree with the previous poster in that even if you read APHA 100 times it wont always benefit you. Apha math sucks! period. Use a different source for your math study. I got a mix of questions from all topics with HIV and ID being major topics. Onco is pretty easy. Know your stats (5-6 questions.) TPNs play a big role in math part. I didnt get any kinetics. Overall the exam is not always what you study...some things you just have to know.

slowly707 that's great news, glad that you're pleased. thanks for sharing with all of us. What source do you recommend for stats?

slowly707 that's great news, glad that you're pleased. thanks for sharing with all of us. What source do you recommend for stats?

I just learned it myself online....Apha doesnt cover it....most of my questions for stats were to calculate values (NNT, AAR, and RRR)...but also theoretical questions like which test to use (t-test/Ancova vs Chi square)...know that kind of stuff...also type 1/2 errors.....but yeah just google it and study...lots of good lessons online.

Onto MPJE next week....yikes :eek:

Just got back from Naplex as well. I had probably 40-50 calculations. I used the Kaplan book for everything except calculations where I used the APHA book. Unlike the above poster, i found the APHA book to be a sufficient refresher for math. There were a good number of pretty easy questions, a fair number of challenging questions, and some where the hell did that come from questions as well. I expected the hard questions to be easier than they were and the easiest questions to be harder than they were. (What disease state does JNC-7 cover?? Really?) My first case was a Hep. C case which I did not review nor do I know anything about at all. After that I had diabetes/hypertension, pneumonia, and meningitis cases. There were 5-7 stat questions (NNT, AAR, RRR, what are p values, which test to use, what kind of trial is this). I got 1 DI question. I was asked which test to monitor with Zyvox and which solution you dilute ampho B with 3 times each which was cool since I knew the zyvox one, but I have never mixed ampho B up so I put the wrong answer on those 3.

Like everyone told me before I took it, its really tough to study for it. There were less than 10 questions I got right because I studied. There were brand names I had never heard of, drugs I've never heard of, side effects that aren't the main ones you'd think of, etc. I'd recommend to make 100% sure you know your calculations stuff. I'd know your HIV drugs, cancer drugs, and basics of ID. If you don't know your diabetes/HTN stuff by now, god help you, but know that too. Everything else is a crap shoot. Good luck to you!

Vash I had those same questions too....I dont know how the heck you got those questions repeated 3 times each...there must have been a glitch in the system. You described it pretty well....it really is a crap shoot....meh...lets hope for the best....this MPJE seems to be an even bigger crap shoot..

I still think the Naplex was not that bad. I had over 20 questions on AIDS and about 25-30 math questions.

Got a 122. I took a 2 day review course and they gave us some notes. And then, I read over my weak areas and took Q/A at the end of the chapters of Apha book for about 2 weeks.

I think the prenaplex I took where I got a 101 and found it difficult made me step it up over the last week.

Just got back from Naplex as well. I had probably 40-50 calculations. I used the Kaplan book for everything except calculations where I used the APHA book. Unlike the above poster, i found the APHA book to be a sufficient refresher for math. There were a good number of pretty easy questions, a fair number of challenging questions, and some where the hell did that come from questions as well. I expected the hard questions to be easier than they were and the easiest questions to be harder than they were. (What disease state does JNC-7 cover?? Really?) My first case was a Hep. C case which I did not review nor do I know anything about at all. After that I had diabetes/hypertension, pneumonia, and meningitis cases. There were 5-7 stat questions (NNT, AAR, RRR, what are p values, which test to use, what kind of trial is this). I got 1 DI question. I was asked which test to monitor with Zyvox and which solution you dilute ampho B with 3 times each which was cool since I knew the zyvox one, but I have never mixed ampho B up so I put the wrong answer on those 3.

Like everyone told me before I took it, its really tough to study for it. There were less than 10 questions I got right because I studied. There were brand names I had never heard of, drugs I've never heard of, side effects that aren't the main ones you'd think of, etc. I'd recommend to make 100% sure you know your calculations stuff. I'd know your HIV drugs, cancer drugs, and basics of ID. If you don't know your diabetes/HTN stuff by now, god help you, but know that too. Everything else is a crap shoot. Good luck to you!
Thanks for the heads up on Hep C and stats! I've studied everything else, but those (and calculations that I'm leaving for last before reviewing a second time).

There are 4 different types of Ampho B, so each question was probably a different type of Ampho B. (http://www.drugs.com/ppa/amphotericin-b.html, under General Advice)

Last edited:
which test do you monitor for zyvox? cbc?? What do you dilute amphotericin in ? is it reconstitute in swfi and dilute in d5w? i just want to make sure because my review book is missing a lot of stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I got almost all A's during school, so I'm thinking that Naplex shouldn't be a problem, but I am worried about the law since there was just 1 quarter's worth and your work experience won't really tell you the right thing to do.

So, those of you who took the NAPLEX and the law, which one is harder in your opinion? Is there really a need to study for the NAPLEX or just focus on the law?

It doesnt matter if you had even a 4.0 gpa in pharm school...the Naplex is not a clinical exam...it is more of a practical exam with heavy focus on patient safety and counselling. The law exam is not as clear cut as the Naplex...you will get many questions from "left field" and you just have to have good reasoning skills when you take that exam...no more than 5-7 days studying is all you need for the Law..Naplex a good 3 weeks is more than enough. But yes I have heard Law is tougher than Naplex.

Congrats on passing the naplex. Good job. I just took the naplex on saturday 6/19/10. I still haven't received any news about my score. I have been checking on continental testing but haven't seen anything yet. Do you guys think this is something to be concerned about? I am freaking out over here thinking that I bombed the exam big time.

It doesnt matter if you had even a 4.0 gpa in pharm school...the Naplex is not a clinical exam...it is more of a practical exam with heavy focus on patient safety and counselling. The law exam is not as clear cut as the Naplex...you will get many questions from "left field" and you just have to have good reasoning skills when you take that exam...no more than 5-7 days studying is all you need for the Law..Naplex a good 3 weeks is more than enough. But yes I have heard Law is tougher than Naplex.

our class from last year had a 100% pass rate on the naplex, but not for law. So yeah, I'm a little more worried about law as the wrong things you learn during internship can actually work against you. :(

I took law already and passed, but haven't taken NAPLEX yet. Will take it in two weeks... Definitely don't answer your Qs on the law exam by what is done in practice. The majority of things we do in practice is against the law. Law is hard because they give a lot of scenario questions, and the law book does not tell you what you can and can't do in certain situations. A lot of times, you will narrow the answer down to 2 choices, both of which seem correct, but obviously one of them is not correct. I thought I failed my law when I left, but it turned out I scored pretty well on it.

I just learned it myself online....Apha doesnt cover it....most of my questions for stats were to calculate values (NNT, AAR, and RRR)...but also theoretical questions like which test to use (t-test/Ancova vs Chi square)...know that kind of stuff...also type 1/2 errors.....but yeah just google it and study...lots of good lessons online.

Onto MPJE next week....yikes :eek:
Can anyone tell me what AAR stands for?
Thanks!

*BUMP* for urgency

The PreNaplex gave the normal lab value ranges, so how about the real thing?

*BUMP* for urgency

The PreNaplex gave the normal lab value ranges, so how about the real thing?

bump for how well you did on the prenaplex... I am debating on whether or not I should pay the 50...

Sigh - I guess I will. Finally scheduled naplex for July 30th - 29 days left

bump for how well you did on the prenaplex... I am debating on whether or not I should pay the 50...

Sigh - I guess I will. Finally scheduled naplex for July 30th - 29 days left
I just got done with the real deal. I had a lot of questions on diabetes (biguanides), osteoporosis, and migraines. NO HIV :(. NO indications or use for cancer drugs. :cool: One question about a chemo adjunct drug used to prevent another problem from occurring. Two or 3 ID questions.

The APHA book was the way to go! *rubbed sweat off forehead*
(Now if only they'd add a stats chapter... :idea:)

Stats were ARR, RRR, and NNT, p values, and a couple of questions about types of studies.

I couldn't believe the number of migraine questions?!

I thought the test was hard. :scared:

The normal ranges for lab values were given.

The Pre-Naplex clued me into migraine and TPN mixing. So aboveliquidice, if there are any topics that you've skipped over (thinking they weren't relevant or very important), the Pre-Naplex will give you plenty of insight.

Send me a private message... ;)

Edited to add: I also had questions on: smoking cessation, BPH, otitis media, psychiatric drugs, MEq, isotonic solutions, ratios (1:100, 1:15,000, etc.), and St. John's wort (seriously ??? :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
Hi slowly 707

I thought the NAPLEX was random and even though I was a good student and took the NAPLEX just a week ago, I did not pass. I had a 74 on the naplex and 93 on the prenaplex. I studied from the APHA book and feel it is extremely unfair.

I wish I could undo this.

naplexfail

I also had erectile dysfunction and a volume of distribution problem.

The hardest calculations were at the end. That was a test of endurance!

It took me 3:30/4:00 to take the test. :eek:

I just took the naplex today and am really scared that I didn't pass. I had a large amount of detailed chemo questions, and no HIV questions. I had spent a lot of time preparing for HIV questions, and chemo would probably be my weakest subject. :(

Just wondering, How do you find out your score online? I can't find anything on NABP's site? Or do you go to your state board of pharmacy and do a "verify license"?

Just wondering, How do you find out your score online? I can't find anything on NABP's site? Or do you go to your state board of pharmacy and do a "verify license"?

Yup - scores come via email pretty quickly (from what I understand) - If you are taking your final test (meaning you have taken the MPJE already), then you would be able to check your state board's online professional verification. It will only show up if you meet all of the criteria for your license(hence taking the last exam)

I just took the naplex today and am really scared that I didn't pass. I had a large amount of detailed chemo questions, and no HIV questions. I had spent a lot of time preparing for HIV questions, and chemo would probably be my weakest subject. :(

NAPLEX is built to punish anything you are not well prepared for. Did you do well on your math? If so, the amount of points necessary to be picked up elsewhere is a lot less. Wait for the score to show up... No sense in worrying until you have to.

I also had erectile dysfunction and a volume of distribution problem.

The hardest calculations were at the end. That was a test of endurance!

It took me 3:30/4:00 to take the test. :eek:

So the time-intensive calculations were at the very end? Hmmm... I guess that is both a blessing and a curse.

You really do have to book it through the test though. 27 days left :smuggrin:

I think it depends on the state. I can only get my scores over the phone or through the mail. Once I pass both tests, my status online under "verify a license" will change from pending to active.

which test do you monitor for zyvox? cbc?? What do you dilute amphotericin in ? is it reconstitute in swfi and dilute in d5w? i just want to make sure because my review book is missing a lot of stuff

Zyvox causes myelosuppression,hence we monitor CBC. Chloramphenicol also causes the same problem.

Amphotericin B colloidal dispersion(Amphotec) can be diluted with dextrose. All the other formulations is diluted with sterile water from my understanding.

Hope this helps,good luck