Taking DAT on Tuesday, Pep Talks Appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

85-29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm taking the DAT on Tuesday. I'm nervous because I'd love to do well on this test the first time I take it, but I'm also so ready to get this exam over with. Any tips, words of comfort, or pep talks/motivational quotes to get me through the next 72 hours are much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to the test thinking it's a joke.
Be calm, take a good snack for the break
Like I took homemade pizza made by my mom and read webtoon on my break lol.
Yeah, don't over think stuff, don't doubt your answers, just move on.
Don't have this idea in the middle of the test, oh I ruined everything, I am gonna fail.
Nope! Lie to yourself saying I got them all right, so you can go through the rest of the questions.
For RC, you need to answer all questions even if the last article you choose all c, is better than leaving anything blank.
For QR. you need to hurry and don't take more than 1 min on any question, not worth it, trust me, there will be easier questions and hard ones, guess on the hard ones and move on.
Make sure to go to the restroom before the test and during the break. :D

Best of luck, you can do it!
You will succeed! :)

Last encouraging words: Wake up with determination and go to bed with satisfaction. credits unknown!

Reactions: 1 users
Take it one section at a time. Honestly the DAT isn't that bad and there are not many curve balls so don't overthink too many questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would love to give you a "pep talk” but can't do that here! A lot of good advice has been given already, but here are some of my tips, hope they help. With Bio being the first section, you need to come out of it strong, if you get thrown for a loop on the first section of the DAT it can make things worse as you go along. If you are prepared for the Bio and didn't take any short cuts studying it is manageable. Bio is VAST! If you are presented a question you don't have a clue what the answer is, you should be able to use logic and elimination to get to the correct choice, if it comes down to 2 choices, say a prayer and hope you guess correctly.

Always remember to breath, it can be counter intuitive when under stress, but breathing always has a calming effect, if you remember to do it. Running a test prep company, school, and dealing with students is high pressure, especially this time of year, I am doing a lot of deep breathing and it helps.

For GC and Orgo, just take your time, don't make any silly mistakes, the DAT is designed to be tricky. I have talked to students through the years that have been insistent they did not miss any questions, but they did not get a perfect score, so the only conclusion is they made a silly mistake or there is a mistake on the DAT. In the GC section you could have a version with a lot of calculations or not many at all, just depends.

Reading, just make sure you watch out for timing, you don't want to burn off too much time on passage 1 and be left with not enough time for the other 2. Students find the reading very manageable if time was spent preparing. If your reading and comprehension skills are sharp you should be ok. Could be simple search and destroy in a passage and some might require a little more thinking. But it is very doable, just breath.

PAT - Well that should not be too challenging if you prepared, I am not personally good at this subject so I rely on companies that prepare the PAT for advice.

Math - Well this is the last section, at this point students are hanging on for dear life, wishing it was all over, BUT you must go on. You can do it!!!! The most important thing is to NOT spend too much time on one question, if you encounter a problem you cannot answer quickly, or you think it will burn up too much time, take a guess and move on, I assure you there will be easier problems ahead. From talking to thousands of students through the years, a common mistake is to lose time on a few questions and not having to guess as time was running out, only to realize many easier questions were towards the end.

I hope all this makes sense, I often make so many typos and other grammatical errors because I am multi-tasking and not a good proof reader.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, this is just my opinion and others may differ, and that is ok.

Wishing you the best.

Nancy, DAT Destroyer, Orgoman, LLC

Nancy

Just picture everyone in the testing center naked.

haha in all seriousness though, i agree with everything that has already been said. Sleep and rest are key so make sure to get enough of both. At the end of the day, this is a test that can be re-written. It's not going to affect your GPA or put you in some sort of unrecoverable position (unless you re-write multiple times). So although its a nerve wracking exam for most, i feel as if students should go into the DAT feeling as if there is little risk involved. Just treat it as a little game and you're trying to show everyone what score you can get. Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: 4 users
Just go to the test thinking it's a joke.
Be calm, take a good snack for the break
Like I took homemade pizza made by my mom and read webtoon on my break lol.
Yeah, don't over think stuff, don't doubt your answers, just move on.
Don't have this idea in the middle of the test, oh I ruined everything, I am gonna fail.
Nope! Lie to yourself saying I got them all right, so you can go through the rest of the questions.
For RC, you need to answer all questions even if the last article you choose all c, is better than leaving anything blank.
For QR. you need to hurry and don't take more than 1 min on any question, not worth it, trust me, there will be easier questions and hard ones, guess on the hard ones and move on.
Make sure to go to the restroom before the test and during the break. :D

Best of luck, you can do it!
You will succeed! :)

Last encouraging words: Wake up with determination and go to bed with satisfaction. credits unknown!

View attachment 261423
That's awesome that you brought homemade pizza (that also sounds delicious!). Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom! The test wasn't as daunting as I thought it was going to be, and having the mindset that I aced the first half definitely made me feel more energized going into reading and math. Thanks again! :)

• Love
Just picture everyone in the testing center naked.

haha in all seriousness though, i agree with everything that has already been said. Sleep and rest are key so make sure to get enough of both. At the end of the day, this is a test that can be re-written. It's not going to affect your GPA or put you in some sort of unrecoverable position (unless you re-write multiple times). So although its a nerve wracking exam for most, i feel as if students should go into the DAT feeling as if there is little risk involved. Just treat it as a little game and you're trying to show everyone what score you can get. Let us know how it goes!
So true about the test not impacting my GPA, I hadn't thought about it that way, so thanks for that perspective. It's still a long exam to sit through, don't get me wrong, but the anticipation of it was so much worse than the actual test. Definitely glad that it is over! Thanks again for the encouragement!

The worst thing that can happen is you retake. Make sure to bring comfortable clothes and a good snack. Enjoy the 30 minute break to the fullest too and let your brain rest.

Reactions: 1 users