Taking Courses to assist MCAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontradvet89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've applied to the local university in my area to take some in-person classes, definitely biochemistry and probably a few other sciences courses (human anatomy and toxicology maybe) to help myself get back in the school mode and prep for MCAT. Also, I've seen Biochemistry become less and less "recommended" and more and more "required." So, I figured I'd try to keep myself as competitive as possible.

Anyone who has done this before want to weigh in on the idea? Particularly from a non-trad perspective. I'm not doing it to raise my GPA so much as get back into the school swing and get some extra prep for MCAT (plan on taking in January-March 2018). So, I'm really looking to make sure this isn't somehow a bad idea. I know everyone preps in their own way, and this is the way I want to add to my prep. So, unless someone with a perspective that allows them to say it's a bad idea weighs in, I'll probably do it, anyway.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've applied to the local university in my area to take some in-person classes, definitely biochemistry and probably a few other sciences courses (human anatomy and toxicology maybe) to help myself get back in the school mode and prep for MCAT. Also, I've seen Biochemistry become less and less "recommended" and more and more "required." So, I figured I'd try to keep myself as competitive as possible.

Anyone who has done this before want to weigh in on the idea? Particularly from a non-trad perspective. I'm not doing it to raise my GPA so much as get back into the school swing and get some extra prep for MCAT (plan on taking in January-March 2018). So, I'm really looking to make sure this isn't somehow a bad idea. I know everyone preps in their own way, and this is the way I want to add to my prep. So, unless someone with a perspective that allows them to say it's a bad idea weighs in, I'll probably do it, anyway.

Thanks for any input.

I think its a great idea! While toxicology may not directly correlate to MCAT. I would definitely just consider taking those that can better help you with the MCAT and get you back into the swing of things. (It can be tough sometimes, especially the longer you have been out of school) Just make sure you do very well in all the classes you take.

I understand taking Biochemistry as I will be doing so in the summer. I actually just enrolled in O Chem II starting January to help me with the MCAT as chemistry was my lowest section when I took it last year. I will be retaking most likely April or May so too late for Biochem to help me but I think I will be ok as I don't remember much Biochem being on the MCAT.

Best of Luck,

Cristina
Blog: www.supermommd.org

You wouldn't happen to be from dfw are you?

I think its a great idea! While toxicology may not directly correlate to MCAT. I would definitely just consider taking those that can better help you with the MCAT and get you back into the swing of things. (It can be tough sometimes, especially the longer you have been out of school) Just make sure you do very well in all the classes you take.

I understand taking Biochemistry as I will be doing so in the summer. I actually just enrolled in O Chem II starting January to help me with the MCAT as chemistry was my lowest section when I took it last year. I will be retaking most likely April or May so too late for Biochem to help me but I think I will be ok as I don't remember much Biochem being on the MCAT.

Best of Luck,

Cristina
Blog: www.supermommd.org

I am thinking of retaking Organic chemistry, but not retaking it for grade, just because it's been 6 years since I took it. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I liked OChem, though, and I have my textbook still. I'm thinking that should be enough. I retained a lot of it. Biochemistry just seemed like something that people talk a lot about with the MCAT. Good to hear it may not be that huge of a deal on the MCAT.

You wouldn't happen to be from dfw are you?

I'm not sure what DFW is other than maybe Detroit Airport Code. lol