Taking classes outside of your curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted778820

I'm a second year neuroscience major and I have most of the mcat/med school pre-requisites in my curriculum except for biochemistry (which I intend to take). However, I have quite a few classes (outside my curriculum) that I want to take to be more prepared for the mcat and med school classes. I feel like only a year of general biology its not enough. I want to take microbiology, genetics, cellular-molecular bio, human bio (anatomy & physiology),immunology and take full advantage of all of those classes available.

I want to hear what everyone has to say! your experiences, advice, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a second year neuroscience major and I have most of the mcat/med school pre-requisites in my curriculum except for biochemistry (which I intend to take). However, I have quite a few classes (outside my curriculum) that I want to take to be more prepared for the mcat and med school classes. I feel like only a year of general biology its not enough. I want to take microbiology, genetics, cellular-molecular bio, human bio (anatomy & physiology),immunology and take full advantage of all of those classes available.

I want to hear what everyone has to say! your experiences, advice, etc.
Of the courses you've mentioned:

For MCAT prep: Physiology (not so much Anatomy), Genetics, and Cellular-Molecular Bio.
To take some of the load off during first year med school: Immunology, and Anatomy if you take it the last term before starting MS-1.
Micro is generally an easier class, but might not be pertinent until MS-2 year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in full agreement with @Catalystik ’s list. That said, these courses are by no means necessary to do well on the MCAT. Biochemistry is the most important course to do well on the Bio section, to be quite honest (I got a 130 without any of the courses you listed except Biochem and Genetics). But if you have time and space in your schedule, and want to take these anyway, it won’t hurt and could make studying some parts easier.

Reactions: 1 users
My personal philosophy in undergrad is to take anything that interests you, and you will do well. The worst grades I acquired in undergrad were the easiest and most boring classes which caused me to not put enough time into them. You have this ONE chance to take classes that you may never be exposed to again. I will never regret the breadth of knowledge I acquired by not being a biology pre-med robot. Also, I only have a year of general bio and A&P taken 3 and 4 years ago respectively. Currently studying for the mcat. Aside from taking a genetics class, I don't believe any more bio classes would have helped. 100% take biochem, I'm glad I did my last semester.

Reactions: 3 users
Of the courses you've mentioned:

For MCAT prep: Physiology (not so much Anatomy), Genetics, and Cellular-Molecular Bio.
To take some of the load off during first year med school: Immunology, and Anatomy if you take it the last term before starting MS-1.
Micro is generally an easier class, but might not be pertinent until MS-2 year.

Thank you! I'll definitely take biochem and genetics.

Reactions: 1 user
My personal philosophy in undergrad is to take anything that interests you, and you will do well. The worst grades I acquired in undergrad were the easiest and most boring classes which caused me to not put enough time into them. You have this ONE chance to take classes that you may never be exposed to again. I will never regret the breadth of knowledge I acquired by not being a biology pre-med robot. Also, I only have a year of general bio and A&P taken 3 and 4 years ago respectively. Currently studying for the mcat. Aside from taking a genetics class, I don't believe any more bio classes would have helped. 100% take biochem, I'm glad I did my last semester.

Thank you! I really love biology as a field so I want to take as much knowledge from it as I can.